Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Fao is great for trench fighter. Love 2 dart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Just finished a goddamn conquest game with pickle and red where the entire remainder of our team basically played deathmatch inside the fortress for the whole time. We got surprisingly less wrecked than we should have thanks to the three of us trying to occasionally play objectives, but seriously Just... go play deathmatch or domination??

Not bad rounds tonight just a poo poo way to finish up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I need to get into some gooning groups for this destroy vehicles medal, hot dang.

And never play that forest map again until it's finished.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This tank spawn bug is out of control. Really hope dice has made fixing that a priority.

Pretty tough to win an operations when you get no tanks and the defenders have three that seem to immediately respawn.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The BAR storm is stupid good right now. Just cleaned up on suez by going 48-13 with the bar. Reloading every kill isn't even that big a deal if you keep moving

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just played operations for the first time yesterday... It seemed pretty fun, but I don't understand what we're supposed to do against a behemoth with no AA guns on the map...

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
I'm bad at killing mans (953 kills in 29 hours). I keep reading great strategies/load-outs in this thread, fail at them for 20 minutes and then just default to being a medic who tries to play the objectives, spam medic kits and then when ammo is getting dire, go on suicidal reviving sprees. And yet it's still a massive amount of fun. Occasionally go on attack plane spotting runs too, very rarely get ground kills and only occasionally get any success dogfighting, but again, that is alot of fun and is satisfying.

EDIT: What are other strategies to being useful without necessarily being great at pointing and shooting successfully? When the game first came out I tried to style myself as a tank repairing buddy, but nowadays you'll be repairing away and the dickhead tank commander will just drive off, under no immediate pressure/threat. Being a scout and firing off flares is OK, but I'm so heartbreakingly bad at firing the primary weapon it's just frustrating as I can't even pickup kills when I get the drop on someone.

Captain Cancer fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while it can be frustrating to get killed frequently by things beyond my control, I also find it kind of freeing. Even when I'm playing really well, I'm still gonna die to stuff like spawning directly into mortar fire or with my back an enemy who's already shooting.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Snak posted:

Yeah, while it can be frustrating to get killed frequently by things beyond my control, I also find it kind of freeing. Even when I'm playing really well, I'm still gonna die to stuff like spawning directly into mortar fire or with my back an enemy who's already shooting.

Most definitely. The amount of times I've tried to spawn on a squad member, am unable to because they're under fire, they back off so I'm then able to spawn on them (because gently caress it, why not), and then almost immediately get killed because they're still in the thick of it :classiclol:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and unless I'm mistaken, there isn't really an aspect of "feeding" the other team (outside of TDM). In lots of games, dying to the enemy doesn't just hurt your team because you're dead and not helping, but you've contributed to an enemies ult or killstreak or something. In BF, fighting the enemy is basically always beneficial. So it's easier to feel good about trying my best.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I joined the battlegoons community, don't know if I should post about that in here. My psn is bdb1001

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 19, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

nice meltdown

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 19, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Ground floor

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

:discourse:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That's some dedicated botposting, Mr. Markov. To come all the way here to visit us BFGoons. What an honor!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Captain Cancer posted:

EDIT: What are other strategies to being useful without necessarily being great at pointing and shooting successfully? When the game first came out I tried to style myself as a tank repairing buddy, but nowadays you'll be repairing away and the dickhead tank commander will just drive off, under no immediate pressure/threat. Being a scout and firing off flares is OK, but I'm so heartbreakingly bad at firing the primary weapon it's just frustrating as I can't even pickup kills when I get the drop on someone.

I'm in the same boat for the most part and have had success by going Support with mortars, grenade crossbow, and gas grenades and focusing on area denial. You can do a fair amount of damage without much in the way of quick-twitch skill if you pick your spots well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I read this like 3 times and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Will we ever know who Gateway (aka g8w4y) is?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
RIP

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

would

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What's the summary on that tho

Edit: nvm thought it would be battlefield related tears instead of whatever that was

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 19, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
We've got news about the first expansion: They Shall Not Pass, coming in March

https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/they-shall-not-pass-battlefield-1-expansion

quote:

Releasing March 2017, They Shall Not Pass will be the first Battlefield 1 expansion. Featuring all-new maps, new weapons, and the new playable French Army faction, They Shall Not Pass will truly expand the theater of all-out war.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oh my god, a prison map.

How many times will :dice: create the same loving meat grinder?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
War, war never changes

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Captain Cancer posted:

I'm bad at killing mans (953 kills in 29 hours). I keep reading great strategies/load-outs in this thread, fail at them for 20 minutes and then just default to being a medic who tries to play the objectives, spam medic kits and then when ammo is getting dire, go on suicidal reviving sprees. And yet it's still a massive amount of fun. Occasionally go on attack plane spotting runs too, very rarely get ground kills and only occasionally get any success dogfighting, but again, that is alot of fun and is satisfying.

Really encourage everyone to check out the controller dead zone setting. BF has an insanely huge default deadzone which means you have to move the stick a lot before it even starts registering. Try turning it down from 22 to 10 and I bet you'll have a better time lining up shots

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Ooh, first expansion sounds good. I like the idea of focusing on Verdun before it all bogs down, when everything is on fire. Dice released a free map for Battlefront called Survivors of Endor that had whole sections of the forest burning and it looked amazing. Hope some of that aesthetic makes it into the playable area in this DLC.

It won't stop ignorant fuckers making white flag jokes, but the French really fought hard and suffered extreme losses in World War 1. Looking forward to getting to play them in this game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beastie posted:

Oh my god, a prison map.

How many times will :dice: create the same loving meat grinder?

Agreed.

I've got hopes for this dlc overall tho. I'm gonna wait a bit however because In every other game everyone goes back to vanilla within two weeks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

FastestGunAlive posted:

Agreed.

I've got hopes for this dlc overall tho. I'm gonna wait a bit however because In every other game everyone goes back to vanilla within two weeks.

That's because not everyone buys the DLC and so for a minute people go "whoa cool let's play the DLC, gently caress [that guy] without it" and after two weeks they go "eh [that guy] is cool I'd rather play with him than on the new maps".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Battlefield doesn't have a problem with that though you'll find several custom servers that have vanilla and dlc rotations, so just find a few of those and favorite them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Will Giants Shadow get thrown into the regular map rotation tomorrow, when everyone can play it?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Chemmy posted:

That's because not everyone buys the DLC and so for a minute people go "whoa cool let's play the DLC, gently caress [that guy] without it" and after two weeks they go "eh [that guy] is cool I'd rather play with him than on the new maps".

Nah. Even the pubbies migrate back after knocking out whatever map centric challenge there is.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

mellowjournalism posted:

Really encourage everyone to check out the controller dead zone setting. BF has an insanely huge default deadzone which means you have to move the stick a lot before it even starts registering. Try turning it down from 22 to 10 and I bet you'll have a better time lining up shots

Jesus Christ, thank you so much. This has made a huge difference

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Will Giants Shadow get thrown into the regular map rotation tomorrow, when everyone can play it?

If we're lucky. Last time dice added a free map for everyone it took months to go into the rotation. (thanks jakku)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Captain Cancer posted:

Jesus Christ, thank you so much. This has made a huge difference

If you set it too sensitive, expect some crosshair drift.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Nah. Even the pubbies migrate back after knocking out whatever map centric challenge there is.

What are the map centric challenges? it was like 'get 10 kills on a tower' in bf4, are there new medals or something?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh I don't know about this one. I'm talking about 3 and 4.

I know they said they nerfed trench darts against other planes but just took down a bomber with em. Also got a five person multi kill with one dart load on fao

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ineffiable posted:

If we're lucky. Last time dice added a free map for everyone it took months to go into the rotation. (thanks jakku)

I'm just wondering, because unlike the free maps they released for BF4 which required you to download them from the store, this one was baked into an automatic patch. So there's really no reason for them not to.

But :dice: so who knows

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

red19fire posted:

What are the map centric challenges? it was like 'get 10 kills on a tower' in bf4, are there new medals or something?

Time will tell when the dlc comes out but safe money says the dlc has trophies associated with the new maps and probably a few 'get X amounts of kills with this gun/gadget'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Servers seem down on PS4 at the moment.