Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wolfsheim posted:

Has anyone pointed out yet that this movie ending like five minutes before ANH doesn't make sense?

"We were on a diplomatic mission of peace"

"Actually I just chased you from a big loving space battle just now? I mean we were all just like right there"

Explain that away with a Wookieepedia article you fuckers!

Yeah this was the dumbest part of Rogue One imo

Other than that it was okay? I didn't expect the ending but that's about it really. The characters were kinda threadbare so I had a hard time caring too much though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also CGI Tarkin looked pretty bad.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

nimby posted:

When they were listing all the project codenames, were those from extended universe stuff or just invented for that scene? I know only vague outlines about the EU being full of superweapons and doomsday devices, but no names.

Pretty sure one of them was "Dark Saber"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Nina posted:

It was nice because those two got characterization despite no overt focus. A man of faith and his ex-believer best friend who accompanies him out of friendship instead of matching ideologies makes for an interesting setup and is enough to make their end feel touching. They're more like cool side characters than actual main characters but what they have going on works.

Jyn was kinda bland and I can't bring myself to like Cassian so the former duo and K2 carried the movie character-wise for me.

They're cool character concepts, but not a lot is really done with them. They feel really incidental to the plot as a whole.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kind of assumed the blind dude and the guy with a big gun were a closeted gay couple.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Fabricated posted:

Also CGI Tarkin looked pretty bad.

I wish they hadn't done this. It looked whack. I get that they want ole Tarkin in there but it looks terrible and seems like there could have been a better way to deal with this.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I thought Tarkin was a cool cameo and good use of special effects to have his reflection in the window. Then they did a full shot of him and I'm like, "OK, nice way to show off your technology. Great modeling work!" Then he starts moving and talking and I'm like, "OK, we're really going to commit to this and get weird, OK, let's do it!"

It was an unusual choice, I figured the Imperial bureaucrat was going to be a more-or-less Tarkin stand-in because they couldn't get Peter Cushing but they went in a decidedly different direction. Unexpected and fun.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
also, LOL at Vader force choking Krennic and then saying something like :smug: "be careful not to choke on your own ambition Director..." Jesus Christ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

also, LOL at Vader force choking Krennic and then saying something like :smug: "be careful not to choke on your own ambition Director..." Jesus Christ.

Aspirations, not ambitions. It's a double pun.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aspirations, not ambitions. It's a double pun.

Vader = "Father"

Hence, Dad Jokes.

I mean, c'mon, if he'd said "What's the matter, Director? Sith got your tongue?" or something, sure I'd be rolling my eyes. But others in the thread have already given plenty of examples from the OT of his dark humor. It totally gave me the same vibe as "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm fine with him making jokes, I just think that specific one didn't work as well as it could have.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's a double dad joke for a double dad.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

nimby posted:

When they were listing all the project codenames, were those from extended universe stuff or just invented for that scene? I know only vague outlines about the EU being full of superweapons and doomsday devices, but no names.

Stellar Sphere, Mark Omega, Pax Aurora, War Mantle, Cluster Prism, Black Saber, Stardust.

The only one that comes close is "Black Saber". Darksaber from the old EU was basically a version of the Death Star stripped of everything but the superlaser.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

Stellar Sphere, Mark Omega, Pax Aurora, War Mantle, Cluster Prism, Black Saber, Stardust.

The only one that comes close is "Black Saber". Darksaber from the old EU was basically a version of the Death Star stripped of everything but the superlaser.

Was "Stellar Sphere" seriously one of them? I'm pretty sure that's a Fight Club reference.

"Pax Aurora" sounded to me like the Empire's Project For A New AmericanCorrelian Century.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rocksicles posted:

I liked her, no muss no fuss, Just do the plan, merk the Empire. "I'm a woman of few words and even less patience. Any questions?"

Jyn could still be a woman of few words and a completely efficient badass, but give her at least some development so I can care about what she does throughout the film. Especially because she's the main character; I want to be invested in what she's doing. She's just so boring to me :shrug: I mean, even if there were just a quick scene with little Jyn and her father before Krennic shows up where maybe Galen teaches Jyn the values of morality or something thematic to the story while they're working on the farm together, something like that could have been just enough for me to care.

A scene like that would have done two things: one, it instills the virtue of choosing to do what is right for Jyn (perhaps she loses that virtue because she's raised by a radical extremist, only to find it again in the end), and two, it helps build the relationship between Jyn and her father more for me to care when they get separated and eventually reunited when Jyn is an adult. Instead, we're immediately thrust into a situation where Jyn and Galen say their goodbyes. We basically only learn that he calls her stardust, because that becomes super important later, and to an extent, we can infer Jyn hates the empire because they killed her mother, but we never really actually get to understand or empathize that emotion through Jyn throughout the film because from what I remember, the mother is never really mentioned again. It's that lack of character development I find so frustrating that deters me from really loving the film. I just like it. It's a good movie with some choice scenes, but those characters man... oof.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 20, 2016

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I wish they hadn't done this. It looked whack. I get that they want ole Tarkin in there but it looks terrible and seems like there could have been a better way to deal with this.

It immediately took me out of the film because I started thinking about digital rights and dead actors.

Like do they have rights to Peter Cushing's image forever? Is there a royalty fee involved? Does the stand in get billing or is he essentially a prop?

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't put dead actors in movies because that's just creepy.

At least Fast 8 got that dude's brother as a stand in to do a very tasteful tribute. Did Cushing hate Star Wars as much as Alec Guinness did?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Thundercracker posted:

Did Cushing hate Star Wars as much as Alec Guinness did?

I doubt it. He was generally pretty happy about the schlocky genre stuff he was in.

Zombie Cushing was awful though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

LesterGroans posted:

I doubt it. He was generally pretty happy about the schlocky genre stuff he was in.

Peter Cushing posted:

Who wants to see me as Hamlet?
Very few, but millions want to see me as Frankenstein so that's the one I do

Peter Cushing posted:

My criterion for accepting a role isn't based on what I would like to do. I try to consider what the audience would like to see me do and I thought kids would adore Star Wars.

He seemed like a nice guy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Captain Splendid posted:

Hell yeah, Cushing is the best.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I feel a little better knowing that he (or his estate) would probably be cool having his likeness used.

You see, internet? He can be rrreasonable.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

He ended up doing a rap version of Peter Kayne's "No White Peaks" in 1991, so he was still pretty cool even up until his death.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

LesterGroans posted:

Yes, this boundary-pushing effects work - that has never been nearly this good - is in fact awful and worthy of derision.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheMaestroso posted:

Yes, this boundary-pushing effects work - that has never been nearly this good - is in fact awful and worthy of derision.

Yes, it is.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Thundercracker posted:

It immediately took me out of the film because I started thinking about digital rights and dead actors.

Like do they have rights to Peter Cushing's image forever? Is there a royalty fee involved? Does the stand in get billing or is he essentially a prop?

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't put dead actors in movies because that's just creepy.

At least Fast 8 got that dude's brother as a stand in to do a very tasteful tribute. Did Cushing hate Star Wars as much as Alec Guinness did?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-peter-cushings-views-death-revisited-grand-moff-tarkin-return-957353

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-peter-cushing-digital-resurrection-cgi-1201943759/

This article mentions his secretary and her husband run his estate and that she signed an NDA with Disney. So it looks like they are paying some sort of royalties to the estate for permission to use his likeness.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

The de-aged RDJ and Michael Douglas in Civil War and Ant-Man looked better I thought.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The de-aged RDJ and Michael Douglas in Civil War and Ant-Man looked better I thought.

They also agreed to it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

They used extensive CGI for Paul Walker, the brother was only the body double in some scenes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

They also agreed to it.

Pretty sure Carrie Fisher agreed to hers, and it didn't look great.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It looked like someone painted her face on a balloon.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm not talking about how it looked. I'm saying it's gross and bad.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
While I generally liked Rogue One, one thing that people have mentioned that has some merit is Jyn's relatively thin characterization (and the rest too, but especially Jyn). The counterpoint is that Luke isn't exactly all that deep when the action starts either. But one thing that ANH and TFA did with their protagonists is to step back and give their main character some "day in the life" breathing room in relatively long and quiet early sequences. Luke on the farm gazing out into the sunset, Rey scavenging in the desert, etc. These sequences neither needed nor tried to establish any backstory or plot beyond just giving us some time to get to know the characters and letting the archetypes do their work.

For Rogue One, I'd say cut some cruft (and I hate to say it, but maybe plot-unnecessary characters like Gun Guy and Staff Guy), give Jyn and Cassian some quiet time for the audience to get to know them, and you're set. Some of the remaining silliness like the terrible inspirational speech would have then worked better even on its own goofy terms, so long as there's some real goodwill for the character that's been built up.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I'm not talking about how it looked. I'm saying it's gross and bad.

It's no different than an actor playing a dead figure in a biopic or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, that's a fair point I didn't consider.

We basically know nothing of Jyn. We get that like half-second shot of her in jail and some vague handwaves at her backstory but we don't actually see anything of her prior to the beginning. She's a criminal but it would be nice to see what that involves so we can have some idea of what she's like when she isn't being grabbed. We can't even say that about Cassian because we do get a brief glimpse of his everyday life and we obviously know what the deal is with the rest of the cast.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I didn't so much get the impression she was a criminal but she's just done what she had to to fend for herself since she was 16.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wandle Cax posted:

It's no different than an actor playing a dead figure in a biopic or something.

I think it is, yeah. There's a big difference between Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe and making a biopic starring a CGI Marilyn.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wandle Cax posted:

I didn't so much get the impression she was a criminal but she's just done what she had to to fend for herself since she was 16.

One of the rebel dudes lists all of her criminal offenses, one of them being resisting arrest, when she's brought to Mon Mothma and questioned by Cassian.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

TheMaestroso posted:

It's not that it's not super awesome, it's just like...my immersion man...you know? It made me stop and try to figure out what's going on and think about other things like Thundercracker said: dead guy in a new movie except it's not real it's CGI but it looks just like him , how'd they do the voice?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I think it is, yeah. There's a big difference between Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe and making a biopic starring a CGI Marilyn.

Actually yes this is different because it's a fictional character. But I don't see how it's gross and bad. The filmmakers considered Cushing's performance so worthy and his character irreplaceable, so they elected to recreate it as best they could as a sort of ultimate homage rather than any other, lesser option. Imitation is the sincerest flattery and all that. They did have the permission of his estate of course too.

teagone posted:

One of the rebel dudes lists all of her criminal offenses, one of them being resisting arrest, when she's brought to Mon Mothma and questioned by Cassian.

Are you thinking of the first teaser trailer which was different to the movie? Now i'm getting confused what was said in the actual film.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wandle Cax posted:

Actually yes this is different because it's a fictional character. But I don't see how it's gross and bad. The filmmakers considered Cushing's performance so worthy and his character irreplaceable, so they elected to recreate it as best they could as a sort of ultimate homage rather than any other, lesser option. Imitation is the sincerest flattery and all that. They did have the permission of his estate of course too.

It's not an imitation though. It's parading his corpse around and I find it distasteful, regardless of whether or not his estate agreed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

It's not an imitation though. It's parading his corpse around

Somewhat ironic, given how often he played Frankenstein.

• Locked thread