Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ariong posted:

Anyway, Gyarados can also learn Dark, Dragon, and Ice type moves, so I'm leaning toward that. are there any downsides to Gyarados that I'm overlooking?

You are vastly overthinking this. I beat the game with a team of mons 10+ levels under the elite 4 including some wholly unoptimal stuff like the psychic orang. Gyarados is definitely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cool, guess I'll go with Gyarados. Which is the least important between Dragon, Dark, and Ice?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Any goon with a computer is free to hop onto the Discord. I'm sure plenty of people there have Dratini to trade, and may even level it up a bit to help catch up. But if they are doing a straight playthrough with no trading then I dunno, Turtonator or Salazzle? I'm too lazy to cross-reference encounter tables to see if they can get those yet.

EDIT: When does Lycanroc get its rock priority move? That would probably work fine the whole game. Or Mudsdale, though I can't remember when you get the rock move TMs. It does learn Rock Slide at least, right?

I was going to get a Salazzle, but then I got a male Salandit and found out that only females evolve and only like 15% are female and I said screw it. I was never a fan of poison types anyway, whenever I use a move that poisons a an enemy and watch thier health tick down by three points every turn, I think to myself, "why didn't I just use a move that does damage?" That's when I settled on Geodude, which turned into Graveler incredibly quickly.

Countblanc posted:

You are vastly overthinking this. I beat the game with a team of mons 10+ levels under the elite 4 including some wholly unoptimal stuff like the psychic orang. Gyarados is definitely fine.

Wait, are you saying that this game isn't just for pros like me?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ariong posted:

I was going to get a Salazzle, but then I got a male Salandit and found out that only females evolve and only like 15% are female and I said screw it. I was never a fan of poison types anyway, whenever I use a move that poisons a an enemy and watch thier health tick down by three points every turn, I think to myself, "why didn't I just use a move that does damage?" That's when I settled on Geodude, which turned into Graveler incredibly quickly.

Salazzle was easily my MVP. Flamethrower and Sludge Bomb wrecked everything.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Fashion update!

The deserts of Poni Island call for some practical desert clothes.

I wish male characters had the same level of customization as female characters in Sun/Moon, especially for hair. And also that they had the same clothing variety as X/Y. In Sun/Moon, the selection of shirts is either t-shirt or tank top, and I think I remember in X/Y you had jackets, long sleeved shirts, snow jackets, tanks, t-shirts, and also hats that weren't either just baseball caps or fedoras.

Also side note but Alolan Persian looks significantly less dumb in the anime, apparently.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ariong posted:

Cool, guess I'll go with Gyarados. Which is the least important between Dragon, Dark, and Ice?

Dragon

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Salazar is easy to get. Just get in a battle with a Salandit, false swipe it to 1, and use an adrenaline orb. He'll call for backup almost every turn and each time is a 1/8 chance you get a female. If it takes more than a few, who cares, that just means whichever one you end up catching will have good ivs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Theta Zero posted:

Also side note but Alolan Persian looks significantly less dumb in the anime, apparently.

Counterpoint;

It should learn head smash.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Ariong posted:

Wait, are you saying that this game isn't just for pros like me?

There are good, high-damage Poison moves now. I assume you don't use Flamethrower or Fire Blast for the burn, or Thunderbolt for the paralysis, right? And Poison is actually a valuable type given the amount of Fairy types in the game, and Fire/Poison is pretty solid offensive typing. Yeah getting a female Salandit is a bummer, but once again hop onto the permanent chatroom (Discord channel is in the OP) and I'm sure people will offer you female ones with perfect IVs and egg moves or something.

Or in a Beast Ball.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 20, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Hmmm, I think Greninja + Marowak is a good combo in doubles.

Wanna use thunder? lol nice try, I got lightning rod

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Theta Zero posted:

I wish male characters had the same level of customization as female characters in Sun/Moon, especially for hair. And also that they had the same clothing variety as X/Y. In Sun/Moon, the selection of shirts is either t-shirt or tank top, and I think I remember in X/Y you had jackets, long sleeved shirts, snow jackets, tanks, t-shirts, and also hats that weren't either just baseball caps or fedoras.

Gamefreak please let me wear a beret.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Waffleman_ posted:

Gamefreak please let me wear a beret.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Anyone else think some of the new pokemon should've been in X/Y? Fomantis/Lurantis and cutiefly/rimbombee are the two that come to mind. Both have very fashionable aesthetics that would've fit in with the likes of Meowstic and florges

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

There are good, high-damage Poison moves now. I assume you don't use Flamethrower or Fire Blast for the burn, or Thunderbolt for the paralysis, right? And Poison is actually a valuable type given the amount of Fairy types in the game, and Fire/Poison is pretty solid offensive typing. Yeah getting a female Salandit is a bummer, but once again hop onto the permanent chatroom (Discord channel is in the OP) and I'm sure people will offer you female ones with perfect IVs and egg moves or something.

Or in a Beast Ball.

Yeah, but Gyarados is a flying water serpent dragon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cancerianmoth posted:

Anyone else think some of the new pokemon should've been in X/Y?

Ash Greninja and the Zygarde forms

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

we're really in a great phase of pokemon designs right now, 5-7 have been great. Shame 3-4 was so dismal.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Ariong posted:

Yeah, but Gyarados is a flying water serpent dragon.

Salazzle is a sassy lizard. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

🎶 salandit, salazzle, hasenpfeffer incorporated 🎶

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have a problem. I beat the elite 4 and now I've started wonder trading a decent amount and I can't settle on a team. I've been enjoying Vikavolt and I think I want an ice type, so I guess Ninetails. I keep switching poo poo out. I need a solid team of really powerful dudes that are fun to use and look cool as hell and have good typings. I can't pick, help me out with some sweet team ideas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Use my team of auto corrected pokemon.

Decided , Allan Raichur, Hydrogen, Allan Digitron, Salable, and Spellsplinter.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Six Geodudes. They must be the best, look at their arms!

I have recently found myself disappointed that Geodudes float. I think it would be really funny if they were just rocks with two muscle arms that they walk around on. Imagine a Geodude going down a flight of stairs like a slinky does.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

greatn posted:

Spellsplinter.

No clue what this one could be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Theta Zero posted:

No clue what this one could be.

It has drizzle.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
is there a goon channel on irc for pokes anywhere

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

g0lbez posted:

is there a goon channel on irc for pokes anywhere

looks back at OP discreetly, mouthing discord, hoping no one notices but you.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
discord crashes my pc :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Safety goggles should block leech seed.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Safety goggles should block leech seed.

does it protect dmg from Clamp, Whirlpool, Infestation, etc? Bc that is what its more like than things like sandstorm/hail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Man, I really wish that Smart Strike could be taught to more pokemon. Why are there only 5 steel types that can actually learn it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Man, I really wish that Smart Strike could be taught to more pokemon. Why are there only 5 steel types that can actually learn it?

they're dumb.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lack of horns. The japanese name is Smart Horn, for whatever reason. Every single pokemon that learns it besides Mew has a horn (or at least a sharp head protrusion).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Countblanc posted:

they're dumb.

Good point

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Durant should of been able to learn smart strike for a STAB move that never misses with hustle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Internet Kraken posted:

Counterpoint;

It should learn head smash.

This isn't an edit?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The move tooltip actually mentions using horns by name, so I don't understand why they didn't just call it something horn-related to avoid confusion. I also don't understand why a steel-flavored horn attack would never miss or be introduced exclusively as a TM that next to nothing can actually learn, but I guess that's why I'm not a gamefreak employee.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neo_Crimson posted:

This isn't an edit?

That's how it looks on serebii's site

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cicadas! posted:

The move tooltip actually mentions using horns by name, so I don't understand why they didn't just call it something horn-related to avoid confusion. I also don't understand why a steel-flavored horn attack would never miss or be introduced exclusively as a TM that next to nothing can actually learn, but I guess that's why I'm not a gamefreak employee.

The Japanese name for it is literally Smart Horn, so blame localization. :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Durant should of been able to learn smart strike for a STAB move that never misses with hustle.
At the very least it'll give Durant a way to distinguish itself from being "Diet Scizor." And while they're at it give Formantis Superpower/Hammerarm to give the fashion disaster tremendous bulk. I love the design and contrary, I just don't like how he doesn't have much other than Leaf storm to work with.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 20, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

That's how it looks on serebii's site

In an impressive threat display, this regional variant can inflate its head to intimidate predators and confuse prey. What appears to be the head is actually just a fleshy sack with rudimentary sensory organs, the true brain being located elsewhere near the posterior. Among packs, the Persian with the biggest head is the leader of its territory.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Smart Horn sounds really doofy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Ugh, I've gotten lucky gts trading for hidden ability mareanie and vulpix, but I hate myself and have caught the eevee and geodude ones. Wasn't it way easier in xy with the friend jungle thing?