Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
In my experience its rarely convenient or easy to use a mouse. If I was in a circumstance to use a mouse on my laptop, I'd be better off using my desktop. I'm sure its probably similar for them, and if you are paying over a thousand dollars for a device, wouldn't you want it to, you know, work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

In my experience its rarely convenient or easy to use a mouse. If I was in a circumstance to use a mouse on my laptop, I'd be better off using my desktop. I'm sure its probably similar for them, and if you are paying over a thousand dollars for a device, wouldn't you want it to, you know, work?

Well he stated that she's using the laptop for gaming so being a trackpad gamer is a really drat weird concept for me. Then again, I've disabled the trackpad on every laptop I've used because I think it's a terrible input method no matter how you slice it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why not just get a mouse?

Basically what Watermelon said. She has a mouse but if she just wants to chill on the couch and not deal with it it's kind of ridiculous to have to plug in a mouse. It works plenty fine on the old MSI. I really want to like the laptop, and have actively encouraged her to try it out for a few more days/I'm going to see if some drivers can fix the issue. But buyer's remorse is setting in pretty hard and I can't say I blame her, especially given our previous experience with Dell not being great.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Bluetooth mice are great for laptops if you're not an idiot like me and lose them.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Quite A Tool posted:

Basically what Watermelon said. She has a mouse but if she just wants to chill on the couch and not deal with it it's kind of ridiculous to have to plug in a mouse. It works plenty fine on the old MSI. I really want to like the laptop, and have actively encouraged her to try it out for a few more days/I'm going to see if some drivers can fix the issue. But buyer's remorse is setting in pretty hard and I can't say I blame her, especially given our previous experience with Dell not being great.

Is it the trackpad itself or Windows mouse acceleration messing with input?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I have a quick question about upgrading the RAM in my laptop (more like what kind of memory is the best memory I can upgrade it to). I have a Dell L502X, and am currently at the 8GB RAM that came with the laptop. I'm looking to bump it up to 16GB, but know there are only certain kinds of DDR3 RAM that can be used in this computer but can't figure out what the best kind I can install is (e.g. 1866 vs 1600, etc.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quite A Tool posted:

I got you, makes sense. I'd force myself to put up with a mouse on the couch and whatnot since I just utterly can't stand trackpads at all.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Koaxke posted:

I have a quick question about upgrading the RAM in my laptop (more like what kind of memory is the best memory I can upgrade it to). I have a Dell L502X, and am currently at the 8GB RAM that came with the laptop. I'm looking to bump it up to 16GB, but know there are only certain kinds of DDR3 RAM that can be used in this computer but can't figure out what the best kind I can install is (e.g. 1866 vs 1600, etc.)

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/xps-l502x

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hi there, me again.
I'm looking into gaming laptops, one for myself. My job has progressed to the point where I can spend quite a bit more money on it. Am I reading correctly that the Nvidia 10xx series is the best graphics card currently?

What manufacturers make sturdy laptops with that card? (Currently I have a think pad and love it, but it wasn't the most powerful when I bought it 2 years ago.)

Thank you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Moriatti posted:

Hi there, me again.
I'm looking into gaming laptops, one for myself. My job has progressed to the point where I can spend quite a bit more money on it. Am I reading correctly that the Nvidia 10xx series is the best graphics card currently?

What manufacturers make sturdy laptops with that card? (Currently I have a think pad and love it, but it wasn't the most powerful when I bought it 2 years ago.)

Thank you.

i have an aorus x5v6 (the Aorus v6 line has 10-series Nvidia cards, which significantly improve upon the 9-series). It's really great, feels pretty darn sturdy. Gigabyte also offers excellent premium models.

Down below that you have your MSIs, your Clevos and your Sagers. Not bad by any means, and often significantly cheaper. But less durable, less premium, less carbon fiber and more plastic.

What's your budget, what games do you want to play? Gigabyte/Aorus laptops with a 1070 are around $2300, the same with a 1060 in smaller form factors are around $2000, and below that you take some pretty significant hits on durability.

Now, you can totally get a laptop with a 1060 for like $12-1300 bucks. It'll perform about as well as that $2000 Aorus/Gigabyte.

But it's a similar sort of deal to the way that a Best Buy computer with decent specs will perform about as well as a thinkpad. Durability and "premium-ness" matters, to some degree.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a laptop for my Mom for Christmas. She doesn't do anything too intense: Facebook browsing, accounting via Quicken, and iTunes. I want to spend around $500 on something extremely functional, any recommendations? Windows is most likely unless there is some great refurbished MacBook deal out there right now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I got you, makes sense. I'd force myself to put up with a mouse on the couch and whatnot since I just utterly can't stand trackpads at all.

Agreed, trying to game on a track pad is a miserable experience 100 percent of the time and not even the best drat track pack in the world could make me change my mind

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

What's your budget, what games do you want to play? Gigabyte/Aorus laptops with a 1070 are around $2300, the same with a 1060 in smaller form factors are around $2000, and below that you take some pretty significant hits on durability.

Now, you can totally get a laptop with a 1060 for like $12-1300 bucks. It'll perform about as well as that $2000 Aorus/Gigabyte.

But it's a similar sort of deal to the way that a Best Buy computer with decent specs will perform about as well as a thinkpad. Durability and "premium-ness" matters, to some degree.

I was hoping 1-2 k, might go a bit over.
Durability is huge, I'm clumsy, and I have 2 cats, so this think isn't going to have a quiet life.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to avoid the trackpad but don't want to use a mouse, you can do what the big boys are doing and get a Thinkpad with the Trackpoint :eng101:

The XPS 13 has precision touchpad drivers yes, but that laptop is part of the "signature edition PC" program that gets similar level of attention to the drivers that products like the surface pro get.

Edit: hmm but so is the 12" model. Are you using the synaptic driver or the Microsoft driver?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I found a trackball to be invaluable for couch gaming, but I'm one of those weirdos stuck in the 90s that prefers trackballs over mice.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

betamax hipster posted:

I found a trackball to be invaluable for couch gaming, but I'm one of those weirdos stuck in the 90s that prefers trackballs over mice.

I usually prefer a mouse but you sure are right about a trackball on the couch. Works really well for slower or turn based games like the new shadown run games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Moriatti posted:

I was hoping 1-2 k, might go a bit over.
Durability is huge, I'm clumsy, and I have 2 cats, so this think isn't going to have a quiet life.

The Aorus x3v6 is right at the 2 grand mark, and pretty decent all told?

Check out xoticpc for models from other manufacturers. You'll want to search for "GTX 1060 Laptop" and "GTX 1070 Laptop" as your search term.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anandtech just published there list of gaming laptops

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10924/best-gaming-laptops-holiday-2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hey, after a couple of years of not really having a laptop I feel the need of having something more mobile again to be able to work/browse(/play) when I'm not at my desktop PC.

I am rather taken by the concept of a hybrid laptop that can be used in laptop configuration to type and in tablet configuration when I just want to do some browsing/watch youtube or something. There's a lotta sexy options out there but I'd be limited by my budget of 750-1000 € at the very max.

Is there a way to get a decent hybrid style laptop for that price ?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Hadlock posted:

If you want to avoid the trackpad but don't want to use a mouse, you can do what the big boys are doing and get a Thinkpad with the Trackpoint :eng101:

The XPS 13 has precision touchpad drivers yes, but that laptop is part of the "signature edition PC" program that gets similar level of attention to the drivers that products like the surface pro get.

Edit: hmm but so is the 12" model. Are you using the synaptic driver or the Microsoft driver?

Well, the trackpad on the 12 is an 'alps' model, not synaptics, and no installing newer firmware did nothing...

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I never thought I'd be looking for a laptop, but after being spoiled during my last business trip with a new work laptop (Dell XPS 15 with QHD+touch), I'm looking for something to take with me on day / weekend trips and vacation.

What I'm looking for is something I can use to do a preliminary pass through photos I've taken, a bit of coding and text editing. So it needs 8+ GB ram, ideally 16, and a good monitor, but doesn't need a fast CPU / GPU. It doesn't need to come with an SSD as long as I can shove one in there, but its simpler if I don't need to do that. I would prefer QHD and touchscreen, but that is probably not in my budget (Ideally 1k - 1.2k euros).

I tried a kaby lake dell inspiron since it seemed to meet all my requirements except for QHD, but the angular dependence of the monitor was terrible even though the specs listed it as IPS.

Right now I am looking at a few options.
- XPS 13 / 15 models, hoping for good sales when the next generation drops
- At work a number of people of the lenova yoga flipbooks, and like them. However the lenova customer service and QA has terrible reviews on amazon.
- Surface pro 4

Am I missing an option, and any recommendations?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I'd like a laptop with 16 or 32 gb of RAM (this is probably my most important criterion). I don't care about screen size or resolution. I will probably uninstall Windows immediately if it comes preinstalled, if that makes a difference (not looking for Apple products though). Battery life is a plus, as well as hard drive longevity.

Any ideas what I should be looking at?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ika posted:

I never thought I'd be looking for a laptop, but after being spoiled during my last business trip with a new work laptop (Dell XPS 15 with QHD+touch), I'm looking for something to take with me on day / weekend trips and vacation.

I tried a kaby lake dell inspiron since it seemed to meet all my requirements except for QHD, but the angular dependence of the monitor was terrible even though the specs listed it as IPS.

Right now I am looking at a few options.
- XPS 13 / 15 models, hoping for good sales when the next generation drops

After using an XPS 15 I don't think you're going to be very happy with anything less than an XPS 13. There's a really good chance the new XPS 15 refresh will be released at CES in two weeks if you can wait that long.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
How awful are USB docking stations? I'd like to use my laptop as a desktop occasionally, if not always, and unplugging/plugging in monitors and such is a minor inconvenience. I can't see a docking station that connects via USB taking advantage of a laptop's graphics card, right? Or am I crazy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

How awful are USB docking stations? I'd like to use my laptop as a desktop occasionally, if not always, and unplugging/plugging in monitors and such is a minor inconvenience. I can't see a docking station that connects via USB taking advantage of a laptop's graphics card, right? Or am I crazy.

USB docking stations don't use your laptop's video card at all, as far as I know, but for web browsing and the like they're totally fine. Some high-end USB docking stations have a PCIe slot for a graphics card, which is a somewhat-viable option for people who lack a dedicated hardware GPU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Recommendations on memory? I have 8 GB right now (stock Lenovo) and want to move up to 16 GB. I know what kind that I need (I've used Crucial, looked up the actual memory stick currently in there, etc); I just need brand(s) recommendation.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Medullah posted:

You are correct - a "USB docking station" is a USB hub with some of the ports internally connected to a low-powered discrete GPU and a NIC. The graphics performance will not be suitable for anything requiring hardware acceleration, but it's fine if you just need more area for office/web browsing kinda stuff.

logis posted:

Recommendations on memory? I have 8 GB right now (stock Lenovo) and want to move up to 16 GB. I know what kind that I need (I've used Crucial, looked up the actual memory stick currently in there, etc); I just need brand(s) recommendation.

Any brand you've heard of before that you would trust to honor the warranty should be fine, RAM is a commodity and the specs are what matter. Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Nanya, Patriot, G-Skill, A-Data, OCZ, GeIL, and Mushkin are all brands that I would not hesitate to order RAM from.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Samsung announced their updated 13 and 15 laptops. The 15" model weighs 2.18 pounds. This is getting ridiculous. They seriously compromised though and put in a tiny battery.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

Are you specifically concerned with utilizing the laptop's internal GPU, as in it's a high-end one and you use it for gaming? If you don't actually care about using the laptop's GPU and were just asking if you could get video over USB, this is what you need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECDM78E/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dell XPS 15 9560 (updated Kaby Lake refresh) product page: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

GTX 1050 4GB -- assuming that means the TI?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Dell XPS 15 9560 (updated Kaby Lake refresh) product page: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

Probably not, no. It probably refers to the plain jane 1050.

But that's still a decent card for 1080p. It performs almost as good as the GTX 960, so it's basically a 970m.

A bit underwhelming, the 1050ti would've been a great improvement. But it's not a bad card for gaming at 1080p on medium settings @45 FPS or so.

besides, until september that was about all you could ask from any gaming laptop :v:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I am perfectly pleased with that refresh, pushing the envelope on the gpu would have been interesting, but it is still an upgrade, and is unlikely to trigger some new round of heat/battery issues by being fairly conservative.

Any indication of availability though?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hadlock posted:

After using an XPS 15 I don't think you're going to be very happy with anything less than an XPS 13. There's a really good chance the new XPS 15 refresh will be released at CES in two weeks if you can wait that long.

You're probably right, but the good spec ones are quite expensive.

Access denied. Anyone have a cached copy?

Ika fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 20, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ika posted:

You're probably right, but the good spec ones are quite expensive.

Access denied. Anyone have a cached copy?

not sure how to share a cached copy, but here's a screenshot of the most relevant bits.

quote:

The world’s only 15.6-inch InfinityEdge display: The virtually borderless display maximizes screen space by accommodating a 15.6-inch display inside a laptop closer to the size of a 14-inch, thanks to a bezel measuring just 5.7mm.

One-of-a-kind design: Measuring in at a slim 11-17mm and starting at just 4 pounds (1.8 kg) with a solid state drive, the XPS 15 is the world’s lightest 15-inch performance-class laptop.

A stunning view, wherever you go.
Dazzling detail: With the UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD display (3840 x 2160), you can see each detail of every pixel without needing to zoom in. And with 6 million more pixels than Full HD and 3 million more than the MacBook Pro, you can edit images with pinpoint accuracy without worrying about blurriness or jagged lines.

Industry-leading color: The XPS 15 is the only laptop with 100% Adobe RGB color, covering a wider color gamut and producing shades of color outside conventional panels so you can see more of what you see in real life. And with over 1 billion colors, images appear smoother and color gradients are amazingly lifelike with more depth and dimension. Included is Dell PremierColor software, which automatically remaps content not already in Adobe RGB format for onscreen colors that appear amazingly accurate and true to life.

Easy collaboration: See your screen from nearly every angle with an IGZO IPS panel, providing a wide viewing angle of up to 170°.

Brighten your day: With 350 nit brightness, it’s brighter than a typical laptop.

Touch friendly: Tap, swipe and pinch your way around the screen. The optional touch display lets you interact naturally with your technology.

Powerhouse performance.
Super-speed: The most powerful XPS laptop we’ve ever built includes the latest 7th Gen Intel® Quad Core™ processors and an optional 4GB GeForce® GTX 1050 graphics card with the latest and greatest Pascal™ architecture, so you can blaze through your most intensive tasks.

Maximum memory and storage: Supports up to 32GBi of memory with a bandwidth of 2133MHz, 1.3 times the speed of 1600MHz options. Faster memory means you get to the content that you need quicker. Expandable storage up to 1TBi in your choice of standard hard drive or optional solid state drive (SSDs), available in faster PCIe versions, provide plenty of storage room and high-performance responsiveness to access and run your applications quickly. The XPS 15 boots and resumes in seconds with a solid state drive, so you can do more without waiting.

Killer™ Wireless: The Killer 1535 Wireless-AC adapter provides a strong and reliable Wi-Fi connection and was designed specifically to make your online videos, voice and games play faster and smoother. It automatically detects, classifies and prioritizes network traffic ensuring your most important data takes priority over your other less urgent applications. Killer delivers your critical packets immediately, thus eliminating unnecessary latency and lag.

Leading-edge connectivity
Thunderbolt™ 3 multi-use port allows you to charge your laptop, connect to multiple devices (including support for up to two 4K displays) and enjoy data transfers up to 40Gbps, which is 8x faster than USB 3.0. Also includes two USB 3.0 ports.

Advanced docking
Featuring a single-cable connection for power, Ethernet, audio and video. Add the optional Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock for faster data transfers and support for up to three Full HD displays or two 4k displays.

See what you’ve been missing
A standard backlit keyboard illuminates your keys so you can stay productive in low-light or no-light rooms while typing.

Interact intuitively.
Pinch, zoom and click with confidence: The precision touch pad prevents jumping and floating cursors, while Accidental Activation Prevention puts a stop to unintentional clicks when your palm hits the touch pad.

Optional fingerprint reader and Windows Hello: Enjoy a password-free sign-in that gives you the fastest, most secure way to unlock your Windows devices. Using your touch, it recognizes you apart from all others. It waves you in with a friendly hello and even works on apps and Microsoft Edge websites.

Built for business.
Best-in-class Security with industry-leading endpoint solutions that include leading-edge encryption, authentication and threat prevention.

Dell Data Protection l Endpoint Security Suite Enterprise: With a 99% efficacy rating (much higher than the competition), you can prevent threats and stop malware before it can run.

Dell Data Protection l Encryption: Data-centric encryption is not aligned to a device, but to end users themselves. Our multi-key approach protects the data as it moves from device to device, and even up into the public clouds.

The world’s most manageable XPS allows IT to change BIOS settings and configure systems with the flexibility your business requires.

Dell Client Command Suite: Dell’s free automation tools help IT streamline system deployment, updates, and monitoring in complex environments. DCCS means faster deployments.

Artfully constructed from premium materials.
Maximum durability Cut with precision from a single block of aluminum for a sturdy, durable chassis in a beautiful design. The Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™ touch display option is up to 10 times more scratch resistant than soda lime glass.i

Cool under pressure: The palm rest is made from carbon fiber. It's strong and thin like aluminum, but lighter and cooler to the touch.

Ports & Slots
1. SD card slot | 2. USB 3.0 with PowerShare | 3. Battery gauge button and indicator | 4. Kensington lock slot | 5. AC power | 6. HDMI |7. Thunderbolt™ 3 supporting: Power in/charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately) | 8. Headset jack

Dimensions & Weight
1. Depth: 9.27 in (235mm) | 2. Width: 14.06 in (357mm) | 3. Height: 0.45-0.66 in (11-17mm) | Starting at weight: 4 lbs (1.8kg)i with 56Whr battery, SSD and non-touch display; 4.4 lbs (2kg)i with 56Whr battery, hard drive and touch display

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Probably not, no. It probably refers to the plain jane 1050.

But that's still a decent card for 1080p. It performs almost as good as the GTX 960, so it's basically a 970m.

A bit underwhelming, the 1050ti would've been a great improvement. But it's not a bad card for gaming at 1080p on medium settings @45 FPS or so.

besides, until september that was about all you could ask from any gaming laptop :v:

Reason I thought might be 1050 ti is because they cite 4gb when, IIRC, only 2gb 1050's exist, and the 4GB ones are all the ti's.

Agreed, TI would have been nice.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Iron Rose posted:

not sure how to share a cached copy, but here's a screenshot of the most relevant bits.

Thanks. The killer wireless sounds like gaming/marketing bullshit, and otherwise its a refresh of the 2016. Hopefully the prices on the older ones drop a bit.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I agree about the lackluster GPU, although the 960m in the last model wasn't great and this one is markedly better so it's hard to fault them too much if it's not the Ti.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hell yeah, there goes my mid month paycheck for January (after the reviews of the retail model come out)

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Is there any accepted wisdom here about whether Aorus laptops are more reliable than Asus? :o Leaning towards Aorus as it has a better CPU.

Context: I am picking between an Aorus x5 v6 and an Asus ROG Strix GL502VS. The reason for this is because I want a light, 15 inch laptop that is VR compatible and it is paid for out of expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Aorus is Gigabyte's high-end laptop SKU, and if I were buying a laptop, I'd be going that way over an ASUS for both the business-ey aesthetics and the longer warranty (still two years, like any Gigabyte laptop).