Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just posting the titles:

quote:

2nd mortgage or 401k loan for CC payoff?

quote:

I've been balance transferring my CC debt to 5 different cards and just noticed I am somehow 8k down. How does 0% = 8k?

quote:

What is the best move? Timeshare direct from developer or from Reseller? Possible easy money, but need decision quick.

quote:

I got an $11 pay check for a full week of work (self.personalfinance)

quote:

Wanting to pledge a college fraternity but have no money to pay for dues, what can I do?

quote:

Why does everyone recommend putting their money in a 401k if the government can keep increasing the taxes on it, so that by the time you retire you've lost money?

This is a full one and is pretty weird, but it has one of my favorite titles of all time.

quote:

My financial consultant needs financial help. Request for serious advise. (US)

Hi, So recently i rendered a service from a consultant. Even though the consultant didn't perform as promised we just paid her to avoid any problems.

A few weeks later the consultant calls me telling me her husband has lost his job and her son isn't having any income(he is a musician and doesn't have any gigs). She said she wanted the money(US$20,000.00) to start a small business. When I questioned her about her business plan it became clear she didn't have one. She said she was "going to buy and sell products through all the network / connections she had as a consultant" and was very vague. She finally admitted she didn't have any business plan and was facing severe financial problems and needed to borrow money.

Listening to her tight financial problems I agreed to lend her some money(US$3,000 to be exact) so that she could cover her expenses and financial problems. She issued a 9 month cheque against the US$3,000.00 I lent her(without any interest and 3 months overdue from the actual agreed date; she said she will pay back in 6 months)

A month later she is again asking me for money, once again she wants US$3,000.00 as she is facing financial problems and needs to cover her expenses .

I am having a very hard time rejecting her because :- 1. I feel sorry for her and want to help her but my business this year hasn't done very well to be honest hence the consultation 2. I have a little bit of spare cash but I don't want to give it to her. I spoke to her today and told her I had a bit of cash. She wanted my that too. 3. I really can't judge her creditworthiness but by judging her behaviour I think its quite poor. 4. Why is she barking up my tree when when can go to her family/close friends? I am just a stranger she consulted recently. 5. Appreciate any serious feedback. I am already wondering if the previous amount of US$3,000.00 I lent her was a mistake.

Please advise.

Edit: I also don't want her to blame me for any problem she faces in the future (ie. her sons guitar career couldn't develop because I didn't help and be painted as a Grinch) At the same time I need to save my own boat. I am not God(without any problems, I have my own crisis going on)

Edit No.2: She also offered to give me her land deeds against a sum of money but that not my profession. I am not a bank and I don't know how to value/appraise land.

The terrible "both sides say things, but I am an independent thinker and therefore the truth must be exactly in the middle" fallacy applied to MLMs.

quote:

Thoughts on Lularoe as a viable income?

My wife has been unhappy with her job for a while now and has been looking into other opportunities, but most feel like she would be doing the same old thing. She got turned on to Lularoe by a friend and bought some leggings from one of their "consultants".

After reviewing lots of personal stories, reviews, and my wife having a call with a current consultant, I'm still uneasy about the whole venture. Currently, my income alone is more than enough for us to live on, and we have a lot saved up, so the $5,000 start up fee isn't an issue. We're not looking for a get rich quick scheme...just something to supplement my income for additional savings (she's currently making ~$2500/month). I'm happy that it's mainly online so it won't require friends/family to be the buyers (although we would plan to network through them).

Does anyone have any personal experience with Lularoe or becoming a consultant? I've heard such exaggerated stories on both sides (people saying they're making 6-figure incomes and others claiming all direct sales like Lularoe are a complete scam) that I don't know what is correct.

Any thoughts?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The terrible "both sides say things, but I am an independent thinker and therefore the truth must be exactly in the middle" fallacy applied to MLMs.

Their primary product is patterned leggings, available in two-size-fits-all. It's the very definition of a trend, selling the womens fashion equivalent of those 80's patterned M.C. Hammer pants.

Even if there are people making 6 figure incomes selling it now, that's not gonna last. The market could become completely flooded if you start seeing them at Target or Gap or wherever else the moms are shopping these days.
Or the trend falls out of fashion and then the demand is gone.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Ha! An MLM preying on the Black Milk style broken ladies that define themselves through buying way too much quirky clothing market. Whoevers at the top of that pyramid is pretty drat smart.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
When I hear that someone is a fan of lularoe, I make serious judgements about their intelligence and their appearance.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

At the risk of bringing the wrath of the bird, do these ever make financial sense? I haven't looked closely into into the prices, but everything I've seen tells me they cost relatively the same amount as getting a hotel/VRBO would cost, but you're limited to that one location/chain/whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

At the risk of bringing the wrath of the bird, do these ever make financial sense? I haven't looked closely into into the prices, but everything I've seen tells me they cost relatively the same amount as getting a hotel/VRBO would cost, but you're limited to that one location/chain/whatever.

That and also paying maintenance fees that regular guests aren't paying.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My wife knows at least 4 women that sell lularoe. she likes the tights and shirts and whatever and she's bought a couple, but it's really weird how excited they all get about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Financial consultant condolences

There's got to be something psychological about money and the people you hire to manage it. My CPA is awful. Absolutely terrible. I had an issue with a stock sale that she bungled costing me 5k in taxes. When she refiled she charged me $150 and acted like it was my fault for not knowing how the in's and out's of Employer Stock Incentive Programs. And I had specifically told her I didn't think we were filing this correctly and are you sure we're filing this correctly at the time.

And yet I still feel sorry for her and don't want to fire her. I'm totally firing her, but I'm dreading the call when she asks when I'm bringing my tax paperwork over.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Timeshares are pretty much never worth it, unless you are the developer that has built them.

Some people buy them as "investments" and they are never able to be resold for more than purchase price; Literally never.

They cost about the same as a regular hotel, but you pay for maintenance fees (usually a couple hundred a year), so you can't even do the "paid off house" scenario where it makes sense after 30 years. Plus you're locked into a specific date range and specific units and if you can't make it one year, then you are just out the cost.

The only semi-reasonable advantage to a time-share is that some facilities are built and structured as being only available to time-share members (Disney has several) and they are way more expensive than a normal hotel, but the only way to get in is to buy the timeshare or buy from someone that owns one.

Buying a timeshare is never the most cost-effective option in any scenario.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
BWM: Getting engaged
GWM: Going in to buy an engagement ring with a fixed upper limit.
Maybe GWM: Deciding to finance it for a year at 0% anyway
GWM: Setting an upper limit on wedding costs so that everyone can be covered without going into debt.
GWM: Spending three months living under a tight budget to keep $1000/mo going into the wedding fund.
GWM: Consolidating 2 student loans into one loan with a lower interest rate.
GWM: Getting dumped, freeing up the money out of the wedding fund.
GWM: Spending the wedding fund money to pay off another student loan.
BWM: Paying off the ring financing early because it's depressing to see a statement for it each month.
BWM: Having a ring that can sell for probably at best 1/3 what was spent on it.

I guess if you tally it up, I've still got more GWM's than BWM's in the last few months.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
GWM: frozen dinner for one + tap water

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
You may be able to use the same rock for the next candidate. Tell everyone you sold it, put it somewhere safe, and get it reset when the time comes. Assuming it's a standard round or princess cut, nobody will know the difference.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Electrical Fire posted:

GWM: frozen dinner for one + tap water

Look at the sultan, with his fancy microwave and watt-hours to spare :rolleyes:

April
Jul 3, 2006

Just posting the titles:

I've been balance transferring my CC debt to 5 different cards and just noticed I am somehow 8k down. How does 0% = 8k?

Can you pretty please post the link to this one?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Timeshares can make sense compared to a normal hotel for some customers.
Leasing a new car instead of buying it can make sense for for some customers too.

Some of the underlying assumptions that get you there are varying degrees of bad with money or bad with life choices.
In both cases, there's a very narrow set of criteria where the customer is better off buying the timeshare or leasing the car, but that applies to very few people who actually do it. Most people are getting screwed.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Just tell potential finances that diamonds are actually really common and that their cost is only due to a monopoly.

Fake e: my phone autocorrects fiance, that should let you know where I stand on this subject.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

JohnGalt posted:

Just tell potential finances that diamonds are actually really common and that their cost is only due to a monopoly.

Fake e: my phone autocorrects fiance, that should let you know where I stand on this subject.

Cause your username JohnGalt wasn't enough of a giveaway?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JohnGalt posted:

If you get to the marriage phase without at least knowing each other's views on how much to spend on a shiny rock and how much it matters that it's this exact shiny rock, you probably shouldn't get married yet.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Good job, America. We'll be great again in no time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/11/27/record-number-car-buyers-upside-down-trade-ins/94506786/

quote:

DETROIT -- The wave of easy credit and longer auto loans has left a record percentage of consumers trading in vehicles that are worth less than what they owe on their loans.

In auto finance parlance, these folks are underwater, or upside down. They already are affecting the market as automakers boost incentives and subprime lenders monitor their delinquency rates more closely.

So far this year, a record 32%, or nearly one-third, of all vehicles offered for trade-ins at U.S. dealerships are in this category, according to research by Edmunds.com. When these people go to buy a new vehicle they must add the difference between their loan balance and the vehicle's value to the price of the one they want to buy.

For perspective, the lowest the underwater percentage has been was 13.9% in 2009, the depths of the Great Recession when credit was tight. The previous high was 29.2% in 2006, about when the housing market was near its frothiest point.

“There’s been a lot of water building behind this dam for some time because of higher transaction prices, lower down payments and long-term loans," said Greg McBride, chief analyst with Bankrate.com, a consumer finance information service.

The average new car loan is for 68 months, according to Experian Automotive, which tracks the auto finance market. But subprime borrowers, generally those with FICO credit scores in the low 600s or lower, are borrowing over an average of 72 months, or six years.

While those loans reduce monthly payments, they also mean that the buyer's equity, or the portion of the loan principal paid off,grows more slowly than the vehicle depreciates.

"It’s problematic for the consumer because there’s no foolproof way to eliminate his financial exposure," McBride said. "If the car gets stolen, is totaled or you get new car envy while you’re upside down then it’s a big problem."

This is happening as the average selling price of a new vehicle is near a historic high of about $34,000. Some of that increase is driven by consumers' preference for larger, fully equipped pickups, SUVs and crossovers.

The result is consumers borrow more to get the vehicle they want. The average new auto loan was $29,880 in the second quarter of this year, according to Experian Automotive. That's 4.8% higher than a year earlier.

Moreover, leasing, which has reached record levels of more than 30% of all vehicle sales, has grown more popular for several years.

Already, especially in segments such as subcompact, compact and midsize cars, used car values are falling as a wave of 3-year-old models are returned by lessees. This increased supply is pushing down the price dealers are willing to pay for them at auctions.

Just last week, Ford Chief Financial Officer Bob Shanks told analysts that the company's finance arm, Ford Credit, cut its forecast for 2017 pretax profits because of declining auction values for used cars.

Credit agencies, such as Moody's, Standard & Poor's and Fitch, so far, have expressed mild concern about the trend. Their focus is on the $38-billion market for securities backed by auto loans. These are bundles of auto loans, similar to the tranches of mortgages that collapsed in the 2008 crash of the housing bubble.

But they are also different. History shows borrowers are more likely to stay current on their car loans than on their house payments if the economy weakens. Lenders can repossess automobiles more quickly than it takes for mortgage holders to foreclose on a house.

Fitch reported that 60-days-plus delinquencies on subprime auto loans rose to 5.05% in September, the second highest level since 2001, and 13.2% higher than a year earlier.

"When you look at recessionary levels where unemployment was near 10% in 2009 and late 2008, we touched 5.04%," said Hylton Heard, senior director at Fitch Ratings. "Today you’re pretty much at that peak."

Fortunately, unemployment is down to 4.9% nationally. Prime borrowers have a 60-day delinquency rate of only 0.44%. Those factors tend to offset the higher risk in the subprime market.

New vehicle sales are expected to continue slightly below their record year-ago levels in November, according to J.D. Power and LMC Automotive.

Yet even their forecast flags some warning signs.

Incentive spending -- discounts or extras to lure buyers to close a deal -- in early November rose to $3,886 per vehicle, up 15% from $3,374 from November 2015 and the second-highest level ever behind the record $3,939 set in September.

"People's monthly payments are being kept very low by low interest rates that most manufacturers are willing to subsidize," said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. "But if we see those rates go up a bit, some of these people won’t be able to afford their cars."

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The only semi-reasonable advantage to a time-share is that some facilities are built and structured as being only available to time-share members (Disney has several) and they are way more expensive than a normal hotel, but the only way to get in is to buy the timeshare or buy from someone that owns one.

Doesnt Disney buy back all timeshares and 'points' that are being sold so they can artificially keep the price high?

Timeshares are so bad with money. So so bad.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
34k worth of car is... a lot of car.

Or a very average truck.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

I am glad that I bought a used car with cash.

There is a girl in my office that doesn't really understand how her car payments work. I can't remember the exact conversation that happened a few days ago, but she didn't really understand what principle was or how some of her payment went to principle and the some went to interest. The office manager and I were saying she might want to refinance because when she bought the car her credit was in much poorer shape.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sparkmaster posted:

Or a very average truck.

I just spent two weeks driving around in $60k worth of brand new SUV due to a work project, then came home to my 16yo (in great shape and paid off since I drove it home) Toyota. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have intense new car envy now. I think it was the heated seats.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Sirotan posted:

I just spent two weeks driving around in $60k worth of brand new SUV due to a work project, then came home to my 16yo (in great shape and paid off since I drove it home) Toyota. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have intense new car envy now. I think it was the heated seats.

Did it have the AC blowers on your butt?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

JohnGalt posted:

Possibly, but I was up in the northern LP and middle UP of Michigan so didn't have much use for AC. Lane Assist tho was some almost magical poo poo.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JohnGalt posted:

This is what almost got me to buy a new ford.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

sparkmaster posted:

Or a very average truck.

$34k is either a stupid amount of car or getting terribly overcharged for features which should be standard on the entry level trim.

I was car shopping last year and cruise control and AC not standard is once again a thing? Folks are getting robbed. I bought a Mazda3 base trim. Power everything, decent infotainment system, backup cam, traction control, good air bags, cruise control, AC (that will run with heater on, v important), remote keyless entry, all standard to the drat entry level vehicle for $18k. No remote start available for stick shift but I never used that much anyway. No heated seats available, but i didn't miss them yesterday when it was -6 so I don't think I will.

The only thing not available on this car that I would actually use is the smart seat setting for where you have multiple drivers. I didn't see lane monitoring stop the Escalade that had to pass on the right and then immediately slow down to 25 on the freeway today because there was no room, and it didn't seem to help the guy who decided to get into the right lane right where traffic was merging onto the interstate either. People already know what they're supposed to do, they just don't care, as evidenced by every motherfucker cruising in the passing lane while people stack up behind him. It's still people financing status symbols they can't afford that mean nothing.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Timeshares are so bad with money. So so bad.

What about vacation ownership? I went to the Wyndham sales pitch gimmick and thought it almost made sense if we dedicated ourselves to a vacation every year. I could justify affording to finance the buy price and the yearly maintenance fee but felt I was not quite well off enough to pull it off and when they mentioned that you could sell your points if you got tired of it I thought it may be better off to buy the points off someone else.

Someone in our group bought the package. I probably wouldn't buy it unless I could drop the $60k or so like it wasn't a big deal.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crazy Mike posted:

What about vacation ownership? I went to the Wyndham sales pitch gimmick and thought it almost made sense if we dedicated ourselves to a vacation every year. I could justify affording to finance the buy price and the yearly maintenance fee but felt I was not quite well off enough to pull it off and when they mentioned that you could sell your points if you got tired of it I thought it may be better off to buy the points off someone else.

Someone in our group bought the package. I probably wouldn't buy it unless I could drop the $60k or so like it wasn't a big deal.

Vacation Ownership is a weasel word that means timeshare ever since timeshare became tainted once people figured out it was a scam.

Or is that the joke you're making, I can't tell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

Or a very average truck.

I'm in the upper quartile of incomes and paid $20k for my new car and I still feel bad about that jesus christ America how are you spending so much money on cars :psyduck:

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
well if you factor in my vacation equity...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm in the upper quartile of incomes and paid $20k for my new car and I still feel bad about that jesus christ America how are you spending so much money on cars :psyduck:

I have no idea, I make pretty good money too and spent less than that on my car (which is now 10 years old and will be driven into the goddamn ground like they should be.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't get cars. I seriously don't. I cannot imagine spending such a huge portion of my paycheck on a car payment just so I can own something that will cost me more on insurance.

I'm a lunatic on the other end of the spectrum and drive a 21-year-old Corolla, but jesus, there's plenty of middle ground people can occupy without paying $700 a month in car payments. :psyduck:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sundae posted:

I don't get cars. I seriously don't. I cannot imagine spending such a huge portion of my paycheck on a car payment just so I can own something that will cost me more on insurance.

I'm a lunatic on the other end of the spectrum and drive a 21-year-old Corolla, but jesus, there's plenty of middle ground people can occupy without paying $700 a month in car payments. :psyduck:

I feel the same. It boggles my mind that I could buy two new Honda Fits for less than the average cost of one new car. That's twice the number of cars we need as a one-car household too.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've got a friend who is probably bad with money but earns a lot. He just bought a $50k Ford Focus RS. I won't lie, that thing is extremely fun to ride in. But gently caress paying $50k +insurance for a daily driver unless you're making multiple hundreds of thousands a of dollars a year. I'll be rocking my 1990s car and a bicycle until they fall apart.

E: He had a 2014 WRX for two years before the RS. The man likes fast AWD cars.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sundae posted:

Like I get it if they're your hobby, my dad repairs old cars and pours a ton of money into them but he's actually rebuilding them from the ground up and stuff. It's fine to spend money (that you can afford) on something you're really into but I just don't get why everyone needs to drive an SUV or truck to their office job every day :shrug:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Look some people have a medical condition that can only be treated with penis extenders. Don't judge.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

meatpotato posted:

I've got a friend who is probably bad with money but earns a lot. He just bought a $50k Ford Focus RS. I won't lie, that thing is extremely fun to ride in. But gently caress paying $50k +insurance for a daily driver unless you're making multiple hundreds of thousands a of dollars a year. I'll be rocking my 1990s car and a bicycle until they fall apart.

E: He had a 2014 WRX for two years before the RS. The man likes fast AWD cars.

How do you even pay $50k for any style of Ford Focus, let alone a hatchback? I just checked and the base model price is $37k. :psyduck:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sirotan posted:

How do you even pay $50k for any style of Ford Focus, let alone a hatchback? I just checked and the base model price is $37k. :psyduck:

The Focus RS is a limited edition sports car that has little in common with the better known economy hatchback other than the chassis, it has like 3 times the horsepower of the lowest powered 123 hp ecoboost engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ate all the Oreos posted:

Because they deserve it.

• Locked thread