Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cam and adrian peterson wear shin pads but they are those nike pro combat foam pieces and not the plastic armor from hockey/soccer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What was so cool about "The Drive" anyway? They didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Is it more the Legend of John Elway or LOL Cleveland?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

What was so cool about "The Drive" anyway? They didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Is it more the Legend of John Elway or LOL Cleveland?

Yes

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pretty sure it's both

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

hifi posted:

cam and adrian peterson wear shin pads but they are those nike pro combat foam pieces and not the plastic armor from hockey/soccer

I remember when I first started playing full contact football in middle school I would wear these type of things over my forearms because holy hell my whole wrist to elbow zone was a mass of bruises (interior DL). Then later in HS that didn't seem to be a thing so much, I guess I just had bad technique.

In between I played rugby (prop) and I wore something like this under my shirt, which did wonders for all the bruising I would get on my shoulders.

I guess I don't know why you would care about this, your post just sent me down a little memory hole.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of pads, does it feel like NFL shoulder pads got smaller over the years?

I know all about the athletes getting bigger and such, but it's still a bit jarring to go from this:

To this:

Did they change regulation sizes in between CBAs, or is this just Nike wizardry with their "form fitting technology" or whatever?

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I was thinking the exact same thing watching some footage from the 80s yesterday. The players looked like they had a couch rammed up their jerseys.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yeah it's both. Might be a little less of "a thing" if Broncos didn't beat them in the AFC Championship again 2 out of the next 3 seasons ("the fumble" and, well it didn't catch on for obvious reasons but I think some people tried to coin it "the gasp", as in they looked tired in the thin Denver air or something). Of course the Broncos got pasted in all 3 of those superbowls.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Serotonin posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing watching some footage from the 80s yesterday. The players looked like they had a couch rammed up their jerseys.

Shoulder pads were big in 80s fashion, the league was just staying with the times.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
In college it's gone from this...

to this...

to this...

I don't know why that has happened. I suspect for one thing it makes it much easier to run through tight spaces...

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm sure it felt kind of cool to look huge, too, but yeah lighter/smaller is better and the equipment and style came around. And really, while you def. need pads, players are more worried about joint injuries and concussions than they are the other impact stuff anyway.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I guess it's also coincided with the rise of tight-fitting jerseys which are no doubt harder for opposing players to grab.

WampaLord posted:

Shoulder pads were big in 80s fashion, the league was just staying with the times.

hell yeah

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 72(?) up the back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ah yes, the era of the unbuttoned polo and high waists

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hey I couldn't find the rules thread and I didn't want to get lost in the GDT but Kalli asked a good question (at least to a newbie like me) about kick returns.

Jets receiver was standing in the end zone, while catching the ball it slipped through his hands(w/ contact) or something and ended up on the ground in the end zone. He picked it up and kneeled for a touchback.

When does it become a "traditional live ball" (for lack of a better term on my part) and what's the rule?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Once the ball leaves the endzone, it can not go back in and downed, otherwise its a safety.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

Once the ball leaves the endzone, it can not go back in and downed, otherwise its a safety.

The situation was: Guy fields a kickoff, but drops the football and it bounces around on the ground for a second in the endzone. Then the guy touches it and kneels down to down it. If a guy does that on a punt return, it's counted as a fumble, but I don't think it is on kickoffs.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is a situation where it's very easy to confuse rules that have nothing to do with each other, or indeed the situation at hand. Let's imagine two different play situations.

1. Free kick from A's 30. Returner B15 attempts to catch the ball but makes a bollocks of it before gaining possession, at B's 5. The loose ball bounces into B's end zone, where B15 picks it up and kneels.

2. 4th and 10 from A's 45; A7 punts, returner B15 attempts to catch the ball but makes a bollocks of it before gaining possession, at B's 5. The loose ball bounces into B's end zone, where B15 picks it up and kneels.

In both, the result of the play is a touchback, for exactly the same reason. It does not matter whether it is a punt or a free kick; what matters is that when there is a kick, the kicking team is considered responsible for putting the ball into Team B's end zone unless the receiving team does something to destroy that responsibility and put fresh impetus on the ball. Muffing the ball (the rulebook term for making a bollocks of an attempt to catch or recover the ball while still touching it) does not count as changing the impetus.

That's why it's a touchback. There are also rules about who's allowed to touch the ball on kick plays.

When there's a free kick, Team A (the team putting the ball in play) can legally touch the ball either if Team B (the team not putting the ball in play) touches it first, or if it travels ten yards. They're allowed to recover the ball, but not advance it; you can't recover and then advance your own kick. (For Team A to advance the ball, Team B needs to first gain possession and then fumble; gaining possession ends the kick.)

When there's a scrimmage kick (a punt or a field goal attempt; the rules are the same for both except you can only score on one of them), the only way Team A gets to touch the ball legally is if Team B touches it first. They're allowed to recover the ball, but not advance it; you still can't advance your own kick. (For Team A to advance the ball, Team B needs to first gain possession and then fumble; gaining possession ends the kick.)

Does that help any? There's two separate sets of rules here; the rules that govern when Team A can legally touch a kick, and the rules that govern whether it's a touchback or a safety, and neither of them have anything to do with each other.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 24, 2016

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So what usually happens in pregame warmups for American Football players? I only ever see brief clips from Redzone and the like of QBs throwing some passes, and I don't think I ever made it to the stadium early enough when I was living in Florida...

To compare, in soccer both teams gets a half (with the away team closest to where their fans are), they'll run some sprinting drills, have some team passing drills, stretch etc. Generally warm up before the game. However, I appreciate this is because all 11 players will be on the field at the same time so want to make sure there's no muscle problems.

Do American Football teams have a similar thing? Do the offence/defence split up and run through things separately? I frequently hear about kickers practising long field goals - are they kicking towards their opponents?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I found this but skimming it it seems to be more of a personal thing about stuff guys do before the game.

I haven't been out to a game early enough to see warmups in years, but I'd imagine nothing much has changed. Kickers and punters will get practice kicks in, they'll kick toward whichever end zone is on the side of the field they're warming up on. Everyone will do some stretches and jogging, the lines will do some...not hitting exactly but they'll line up and do their initial jab steps and such just to get a feel. QBs will do some throwing to receivers or ball boys if the receivers are doing other stuff, DBs and linebackers will do poo poo like karaoke drills and some other football movement drills.

Nothing's really full speed but everyone's doing some moving around appropriate for whatever their position is.

e: Well maybe nothing's full speed is wrong, they'll get a couple of good runs in, but aside from that it's just getting and staying loose.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 25, 2016

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So one thing that still bugs me at nearly the end of my second season of watching every Giants game. Eli Manning stamps his foot every time before the ball is snapped. Does every QB have a signal for the snap that is this obvious and how does the center know it isn't a hard count when he stamps his foot? It just seems like a really obvious tell that they are going to start the play.

On a similar vein I think it was Cam Newton who was snapping the ball with a silent count, does that literally just mean before the play the center knows he is snapping the ball on say, 14 seconds left?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm a jets fan ):. And ihavent had the heart to watch the last few games ( i stopped watching after the first dolphin game) Does Justin Burris look like the real deal? Im trying to convince people McCagnan(?) is actually a very good scout, and that Woody Johnson is probably the driving force behind the questionable personnel decisions ( Obviously with Rex around it wasnt JUST him, but i still have a feeling it's mostly him)

EDIT: OH and also, this may just be delusional me talking here, but is any corner save Janoris Jenkins having a good year? Revis was getting a ton of flack but i dont think Norman, Peterson, or Sherman were playing too hot. and Haden has been bad for a couple of years now.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

DildenAnders posted:

EDIT: OH and also, this may just be delusional me talking here, but is any corner save Janoris Jenkins having a good year? Revis was getting a ton of flack but i dont think Norman, Peterson, or Sherman were playing too hot. and Haden has been bad for a couple of years now.

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd go with AJ Bouye, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Jalen Ramsey, Malcolm Butler, Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Peters? (Obviously this is all subjective.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

venutolo posted:

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd go with AJ Bouye, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Jalen Ramsey, Malcolm Butler, Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Peters? (Obviously this is all subjective.)

Darius Slay but he's hurt

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

venutolo posted:

Casey Hayward

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Henchman of Santa posted:

Darius Slay but he's hurt

a neat cape posted:

Casey Hayward

yes and yes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Seano posted:

So one thing that still bugs me at nearly the end of my second season of watching every Giants game. Eli Manning stamps his foot every time before the ball is snapped. Does every QB have a signal for the snap that is this obvious and how does the center know it isn't a hard count when he stamps his foot? It just seems like a really obvious tell that they are going to start the play.

On a similar vein I think it was Cam Newton who was snapping the ball with a silent count, does that literally just mean before the play the center knows he is snapping the ball on say, 14 seconds left?

I can't speak to Eli, but with Newton a silent count is "give the set signal" which is either saying "set" or moving your hand, kicking your legs, clapping or whatever and then the entire team counts down from X until the snap.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

venutolo posted:

): I guess ill just crawl back into bed, wearing my DeMario Davis jersey, and crying myself to sleep while rythmically chanting "Aquib Talib tried to gouge out Dwayne Allen's eye, so it doesnt count"

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

algebra testes posted:

I can't speak to Eli, but with Newton a silent count is "give the set signal" which is either saying "set" or moving your hand, kicking your legs, clapping or whatever and then the entire team counts down from X until the snap.

I've seen announcers talk about this, and I think it's pretty common across quarterbacks. Generally, a silent count is what you say, a non-verbal signal that the team knows how long to wait after. Usually, it's picking up one leg, but yeah, it could be anything.

Then, most QBs will still do their silent snap count motion even when going with an audible count. Part of that might be just to keep themselves in rhythm, but I guess it could also be to try to confuse the defense as to whether they're going with the silent or loud count. (Just like a lot of the "audibles" called out are nothing at all.)

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I was discussing football with my friend from Atlanta and I was wondering why have the Atlanta Falcons historically sucked as a football team?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I was discussing football with my friend from Atlanta and I was wondering why have the Atlanta Falcons historically sucked as a football team?

Same reasons as anyone else? They've never really been flush with talent or great coaching. They managed to beat one of the best teams of all time to get to a Super Bowl but even then they had Chris Chandler at quarterback.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rent-a-Bot posted:

They have been very good at times but getting through the playoffs to a super bowl or a win is pretty random after you get that far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't remember a whole lot about ownership being total crap like Tampa and Cincinnati, seems to mostly be a combination of never being able to find a plus quarterback until Matt Ryan and not getting the type of coach/overall talent to work around that type of thing. Well outside of a year or two of Dan Reeves. People like to poo poo on Ryan but even if you buy into that he's far far better than anyone else the organization has ever had at the position, unless you want to count 4 attempts of rookie Brett Favre. Chris Miller is the #3 passer in franchise history for christ's sake. Mike Vick might be in the top 4 best players they've ever had at QB and he's openly admitted he never bothered to try to learn how to play the position until he got to Philadelphia.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

Mike Vick might be in the top 4 best players they've ever had at QB and he's openly admitted he never bothered to try to learn how to play the position until he got to Philadelphia.

eh, he still did alright i'd say

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

eh, he still did alright i'd say

He was a good player. Just imagine him with all that athleticism he had at the start of his career and actually caring about poo poo like learning to read defenses.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

In a game what is the role of the various positional coaches? Is there a direct line of communication (e.g. Head Coach/OC decides on a play -> positional coaches give instructions), or is all that decided before hand in training and the coaches just make sure everything is working and give feedback between plays?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

He was a good player. Just imagine him with all that athleticism he had at the start of his career and actually caring about poo poo like learning to read defenses.

Or if he hadn't gone to prison and gone back to starting at almost square one. Vick is kind of a tragic figure in that he could've been one of the best ever, and that's our loss, but luckily it's easy to not feel sorry for him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EvilHawk posted:

In a game what is the role of the various positional coaches? Is there a direct line of communication (e.g. Head Coach/OC decides on a play -> positional coaches give instructions), or is all that decided before hand in training and the coaches just make sure everything is working and give feedback between plays?

Not really between plays, since the players are on the field. You'll see them a lot when the other unit is on the field. Like when the defense is on the field, the offensive line coaches are over with the offensive line giving feedback over the last drive and telling them what they are seeing and what each player in the line needs to do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The visible breath CG looks really unrealistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Volkerball posted:

Or if he hadn't gone to prison and gone back to starting at almost square one. Vick is kind of a tragic figure in that he could've been one of the best ever, and that's our loss, but luckily it's easy to not feel sorry for him.

He went to prison for hosting and betting on dog fights, the tragic part is the NFL caring more about the gambling than the dog fights.

• Locked thread