Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone ever seen a light setup like in future movies, where local motion sensors turn on only the closest light and it just fades in? So as you walk around your house it subtly lights up and goes dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rick posted:

I wish IFTTT had the option of one more "if."

I like the hue triggers I have but some would be more useful if you could also have them not run if it is like 4:00 am.

Tell me about it. I love the service, but the lack of multiple conditional triggers is driving me crazy. if(triggertime && home) { dothing;}.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I ended up ordering a Amcrest 4ch 1080p security DVR. I noticed some footprints in the snow around our house this week. I don't think it was anything sinister, the path is a wide berth away from the house, and our current theory is that it was an insurance person (we recently signed up for a new homeowner's policy). Either way the wife was moderately freaked out, so I figured that was my go ahead to buy some fun stuff.

I don't particularly care about remote access or alerts or anything, moreso just archived footage in case something has happened.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2016

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

I ended up ordering a Amcrest 4ch 1080p security DVR. I noticed some footprints in the snow around our house this week. I don't think it was anything sinister, the path is a wide berth away from the house, and our current theory is that it was an insurance person (we recently signed up for a new homeowner's policy). Either way the wife was moderately freaked out, so I figured that was my go ahead to buy some fun stuff.

I don't particularly care about remote access or alerts or anything, moreso just archived footage in case something has happened.

I have the Amcrest 8ch version with 5 cams hooked up and the setup and installation are a breeze. The thing might not be the most advanced security system but it works very well. I think you'll be surprised how much you use the remote viewing. When we're away we check up on the house regularly just because we can and also use it to know if there are packages in our front entry way this time of year since theft has been a problem in some areas around here.

The only thing I do not like about the system is that you have the option of either storing files automatically via ftp to an offsite server OR recording them to the built-in hard drive. I wanted to do both simultaneously which, unfortunately, is not an option.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Scrapez posted:

I have the Amcrest 8ch version with 5 cams hooked up and the setup and installation are a breeze. The thing might not be the most advanced security system but it works very well. I think you'll be surprised how much you use the remote viewing. When we're away we check up on the house regularly just because we can and also use it to know if there are packages in our front entry way this time of year since theft has been a problem in some areas around here.

The only thing I do not like about the system is that you have the option of either storing files automatically via ftp to an offsite server OR recording them to the built-in hard drive. I wanted to do both simultaneously which, unfortunately, is not an option.

Thanks for the feedback, they seemed to be the best reviewed overall that I could find. I would have really liked the 8CH one, but wasn't ready to drop $800 for the 1080p version. I suppose if I really like it I could upgrade just the DVR down the road or just go for broke and roll my own solution.

Good to know about the storage location, that kind of sucks you can't do both. I do have a massive HDD in my home server, I might consider FTPing it to there, but I'm not really sure yet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks for the feedback, they seemed to be the best reviewed overall that I could find. I would have really liked the 8CH one, but wasn't ready to drop $800 for the 1080p version. I suppose if I really like it I could upgrade just the DVR down the road or just go for broke and roll my own solution.

Good to know about the storage location, that kind of sucks you can't do both. I do have a massive HDD in my home server, I might consider FTPing it to there, but I'm not really sure yet.

If you're looking for home camera systems, You should take a look at Flir's nvr systems that were talked about in the last page or two.

Better 1080p resolution, steel vandal proof/weatherproof IP66 rated housing, easy setup, smallest ptz cameras I've found, crazy cheap price, mobile device app streaming, local 2tb nvr plus the option of cloud backup, poe powered cameras, and each one comes with a 60 foot length of cable. It's a pretty sweet deal, and I've been super happy with mine.

They also have affordable 2k and even 4k systems as well.

vv 100% agreed--if I didn't end up with the dedicated nvr, I would've gone with Blue Iris as well, definitely seems to be the best nvr software out there and I think it's only like fifty bucks or something, which isn't bad for a one time purchase

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 17, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Are they IP cams or analog? If they're IP you could use a software like Blue Iris on your home server to record and upload to ftp.

I have my porch cam to record locally and then take image snapshots and upload to ftp every second during motion.

Actually I recommend anyone using IP cameras took a good look at Blue Iris if they have an always on PC in the house. I've been using it for about a year now and it has its quirks but is a powerful piece of software for relatively cheap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The Amcrest system I got is analog.

My home server is primarily used for plex and a development server, it's only an i3 with 4GB RAM at the moment so that's mostly why I discarded the idea of going with Blue Iris for now.

In a year or two if I'm happy with the security camera idea I may build a beefy server and have it do it all (or VMs).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

The Amcrest system I got is analog.

My home server is primarily used for plex and a development server, it's only an i3 with 4GB RAM at the moment so that's mostly why I discarded the idea of going with Blue Iris for now.

In a year or two if I'm happy with the security camera idea I may build a beefy server and have it do it all (or VMs).

You might want to look at returning that amcrest and going with IP cams. Analog is dead technology, and supporting those cameras gong forward is going to be a headache, not to mention running wires in the first place since you need separate power in addition to data transmission. Since you have to run the bulkier wires with the bundle of heads attached (instead of making your own cables from a thin spool of cat5e/6), it's going to be significantly more difficult and snag on everything.

If you're contemplating connecting those to your server down the line (in lieu of the dvr) you'd need pci expansion cards that would even take the analog connectors instead of simply connecting the cameras to a poe switch anywhere on your network. Basically in order to expand in any meaningful way you'll have to buy all new equipment and start over, if not have to re-run the wiring for ip cams anyways. Not to mention that you'll never be able to get better resolution from analog down the line.

I'm surprised (though I shouldn't be) that vendors are even selling new analog camera systems in 2016.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dreesemonkey posted:

This is the route I am going for my new place. Already have a beefy whitebox ESXi server at home, going to add in a VM for cameras and one for HomeSeer (most likely).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're looking for home camera systems, You should take a look at Flir's nvr systems that were talked about in the last page or two.

Better 1080p resolution, steel vandal proof/weatherproof IP66 rated housing, easy setup, smallest ptz cameras I've found, crazy cheap price, mobile device app streaming, local 2tb nvr plus the option of cloud backup, poe powered cameras, and each one comes with a 60 foot length of cable. It's a pretty sweet deal, and I've been super happy with mine.

vv 100% agreed--if I didn't end up with the dedicated nvr, I would've gone with Blue Iris as well, definitely seems to be the best nvr software out there and I think it's only like fifty bucks or something, which isn't bad for a one time purchase

This is an interesting option, however I don't see mention of cloud backup on that page, just live streaming with their cloud service. Is there a webpage that talks about that?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'd like to get some kind of camera for monitoring the inside of my home when I'm out. It's just for watching the cats, so I don't care about recording or alerts or anything fancy - I just wanna to pull up an app and see what's up in my house.

Is there any reasonably-priced off-the-shelf system that does this in a way that isn't insecure as hell?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 17, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mister Fister posted:

This is an interesting option, however I don't see mention of cloud backup on that page, just live streaming with their cloud service. Is there a webpage that talks about that?

It's the Flir Cloud service, they have several different pricing tiers, with the top being 15$ a month or 150$ a year:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/articles/FLIR-Cloud-Subscriptions#pricing

The rapid recap thing is pretty cool, it fast forwards through all the motion events in the selected time span to give you a quick recap of what happened.

The free plan that's included with their dvrs only has 2 days cloud backup with 3 rapid recaps a month. The paid pan basically just offers unlimited rapid recap and longer cloud backup.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 17, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

Has anyone ever seen a light setup like in future movies, where local motion sensors turn on only the closest light and it just fades in? So as you walk around your house it subtly lights up and goes dark.

I'm pretty sure you can easily do this via Indigo Domotics and motion sensors.

When hallway motion sensor is triggered:
If time = between 12 midnight and sunrise and hallway light status = off, trigger hallway light on with brightness = 5 and temp = some number I forget.
In 10 seconds: set brightness to 0 (off).

Or something along those lines.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm trying to determine the best way to control all of my A/V devices which are a mixture of IR, RF and WIFI controlled. They also reside in different locations. Here's my setup:

Living room:
Samsung LCD which uses IR. Only need ability to turn on and off.

Equipment closet:
Onkyo TX-NR626 can be controlled via IR or WIFI. Currently use Android app to control via network.
DirecTV HR20 Currently controlled via RF.

Other equipment:
Amazon Echo

Currently, I'm using the DirecTV remote to turn on the TV via IR and control the sat box via RF which works great. However, I have to use a smartphone app to control Onkyo receive volume which is a pain.

I have a single HDMI cable run from the Samsung TV back to the Onkyo receiver currently. I have seen some devices that appear to carry IR signals over HDMI. Would that be the way to go? I'm a little concerned about that because the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV can be a little flaky already. Every once in awhile, I get a bunch of screen tears and bad color. Turning off and back on corrects it, though.

I'd also like to integrate everything with the Echo for voice control if possible but that can't be the only control mechanism as my wife would rather have a remote and we have family that stay at the house occasionally when we're not here and they would require a remote and a simple way of control.

I'm thinking options are:
IR repeater inline with HDMI.
Some other type of standalone IR repeater
A Logitech Harmony that would do IR and RF

What would be the best approach do you guys think?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
If you want to feel better about not being a billionaire Zuckerberg spent the past year developing a voice activated home automation system and it's apparently a piece of poo poo that does less than Alexa or Google Home.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3066478/mind-and-machine/mark-zuckerberg-jarvis

Scrapez posted:

I'm trying to determine the best way to control all of my A/V devices which are a mixture of IR, RF and WIFI controlled. They also reside in different locations. Here's my setup:

Living room:
Samsung LCD which uses IR. Only need ability to turn on and off.

Equipment closet:
Onkyo TX-NR626 can be controlled via IR or WIFI. Currently use Android app to control via network.
DirecTV HR20 Currently controlled via RF.

Other equipment:
Amazon Echo

Currently, I'm using the DirecTV remote to turn on the TV via IR and control the sat box via RF which works great. However, I have to use a smartphone app to control Onkyo receive volume which is a pain.

I have a single HDMI cable run from the Samsung TV back to the Onkyo receiver currently. I have seen some devices that appear to carry IR signals over HDMI. Would that be the way to go? I'm a little concerned about that because the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV can be a little flaky already. Every once in awhile, I get a bunch of screen tears and bad color. Turning off and back on corrects it, though.

I'd also like to integrate everything with the Echo for voice control if possible but that can't be the only control mechanism as my wife would rather have a remote and we have family that stay at the house occasionally when we're not here and they would require a remote and a simple way of control.

I'm thinking options are:
IR repeater inline with HDMI.
Some other type of standalone IR repeater
A Logitech Harmony that would do IR and RF

What would be the best approach do you guys think?

Harmony Hub with the Simple Remote solves all of your problems including using an Echo and controlling devices over IR both inside and outside of the cabinet.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 19, 2016

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Harmony Hub with the Simple Remote solves all of your problems including using an Echo and controlling devices over IR both inside and outside of the cabinet.

Well, Amazon has the Logitech Harmony Ultimate on sale for $170 today so I bit the bullet and went that route: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the advice. I think this is the way to go since I want something reliable for when the in-laws are here and it gives me a bunch of extra functionality like interfacing with Alexa.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Scrapez posted:

Well, Amazon has the Logitech Harmony Ultimate on sale for $170 today so I bit the bullet and went that route: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the advice. I think this is the way to go since I want something reliable for when the in-laws are here and it gives me a bunch of extra functionality like interfacing with Alexa.

Buy the Simple Remote Trust me. I get it, it's not as cool, it doesn't have an LCD, LCD remotes were the future promised to us. Buy the Simple Remote. You can even use it as an add on to the LCD remote, they will both work at the same time but I can almost promise you that the Simple Remote will be used more if not almost exclusively because it is a less cool looking but much better designed remote for 99% of use.

Battery lasts forever, doesn't have to be recharged, better key layout, more intuitive function switching. Unless you are trying to control more than 6 activities and strangers need to be able to control more than 3 of them the Simple Remote,it is honestly such a better remote.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Buy the Simple Remote Trust me. I get it, it's not as cool, it doesn't have an LCD, LCD remotes were the future promised to us. Buy the Simple Remote. You can even use it as an add on to the LCD remote, they will both work at the same time but I can almost promise you that the Simple Remote will be used more if not almost exclusively because it is a less cool looking but much better designed remote for 99% of use.

Battery lasts forever, doesn't have to be recharged, better key layout, more intuitive function switching. Unless you are trying to control more than 6 activities and strangers need to be able to control more than 3 of them the Simple Remote,it is honestly such a better remote.

I've read that elsewhere. Is this the one you mean?

Logitech Harmony Smart Control Add-On Companion Programmable Remote for Harmony Ultimate Hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTKGFDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_VlkwybP74XCC5

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or use his Echo and forget things like "picking stuff up" and "buttons". :v:

Too bad the hub + simple smart remote is now $130 on Amazon, it was $70-$85 a couple weeks ago

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Scrapez posted:

Logitech Harmony Smart Control Add-On Companion Programmable Remote for Harmony Ultimate Hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTKGFDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_VlkwybP74XCC5

Yes, buy this right now.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Yes, buy this right now.

I'll grab it as well. Even if I like the touchscreen one better, this one can be the grandparent remote when they're here babysitting the grandkid.

Also will be good for concrete patio where I watch a lot of tv. I'd not be as upset if this one gets dropped and broken.

Thanks for the guidance.

Also, to the poster above, I'll definitely be setting up the Echo to control things but trying to explain to over 60 grandparents to say "Alexa, watch TV" "Alexa, turn on ESPN." Might be too much unless I make them a cheat sheet of audible commands. Even then, I'd return and they'd say "I tried to turn on the TV but I yelled "Watch TV!" Several times and nothing happened. "Did you say Alexa?" "Oh no but she should be smart enough to know I'm yelling at her!"

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 20, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Scrapez posted:

I have the regular harmony hub with that remote. My kids keep beating the poo poo out of mine and it's acting up. Can I replace it with this? Says ultimate hub only but wasn't sure if it's the branding and it's keeping people away who don't own any hub.

E: bonus question, if so can I have two of these connected to one hub at a time?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scrapez posted:

Also, to the poster above, I'll definitely be setting up the Echo to control things but trying to explain to over 60 grandparents to say "Alexa, watch TV" "Alexa, turn on ESPN." Might be too much unless I make them a cheat sheet of audible commands. Even then, I'd return and they'd say "I tried to turn on the TV but I yelled "Watch TV!" Several tubes and nothing happened. "Did you say Alexa?" "Oh no but she should be smart enough to know I'm yelling at her!"

Understood. From my couple weeks of messing with a hub and Alexa, I'd consider just forgetting about "Watch" and tell everyone to use "Alexa, turn on <x>".

Alexa turn on TV
Alexa turn on ESPN (you can set the hub activity to work whether the devices are on or off).
Alexa turn on Home and Garden

Etc.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Understood. From my couple weeks of messing with a hub and Alexa, I'd consider just forgetting about "Watch" and tell everyone to use "Alexa, turn on <x>".

Alexa turn on TV
Alexa turn on ESPN (you can set the hub activity to work whether the devices are on or off).
Alexa turn on Home and Garden

Etc.

Good to know. Looking forward to setting it up. As of now, I've only set the Echo to control volume on my receiver via Anymote and it's a bit clunky saying "Alexa, tell Anymote volume up"

That and I had to make it a macro to hit volume up 10 times because there is no way to send a value like "Alexa, tell anymote volume 26"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I have the regular harmony hub with that remote. My kids keep beating the poo poo out of mine and it's acting up. Can I replace it with this? Says ultimate hub only but wasn't sure if it's the branding and it's keeping people away who don't own any hub.

E: bonus question, if so can I have two of these connected to one hub at a time?

Pretty sure it is any any Hub, however you can only pair one simple remote which makes no sense to me but that is how it is apparently. So basically you can have a screen remote and a simple remote both connected but that's it total, no two screens, no two simple, one of each.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scrapez posted:

Good to know. Looking forward to setting it up.
When you do set up the harmony hub, do yourself a favor if possible and do it from a computer (through downloaded hub software) rather than a mobile device. The mobile apps work, but holy cow are they clunky (on iOS at least). 2009-era app design with multi-level menus everywhere. Back back back back back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure it is any any Hub, however you can only pair one simple remote which makes no sense to me but that is how it is apparently. So basically you can have a screen remote and a simple remote both connected but that's it total, no two screens, no two simple, one of each.

Gotcha. Is $30 for the simple pretty standard or is this a sale? I don't have a strong use case for the screen unless someone can tell me why it's badass and why my wife and kids would prefer it. They rock out the activity buttons as it is now so...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. I can't tell if I need to buy a spool of cat6 from monoprice or if it comes with everything I need...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It comes with preterminated ethernet cables that are pretty long.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Sweet. Seemed a little pricey at first, until you think about what you're getting. 2 bullets, 2 ptz, 2tb dvr dealie, POE power source, cabling, 2 days cloud backup (good enough for breakin situation where they find the DVR and destroy it). I think we'll be happy with it. Glad I checked this thread.

e: and its only 329 with the promo code listed on the page.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 21, 2016

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

After my break in I'm going to invest in some security cameras. Not sure a wired solution is best since I'm renting. How are people routing the cables for these? 60 feet doesn't seem too long of a run for some lengths. I think I'd prefer something wireless that can get triggered from smartthings. Suggestions?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PuTTY riot posted:

Sweet. Seemed a little pricey at first, until you think about what you're getting. 2 bullets, 2 ptz, 2tb dvr dealie, POE power source, cabling, 2 days cloud backup (good enough for breakin situation where they find the DVR and destroy it). I think we'll be happy with it. Glad I checked this thread.

e: and its only 329 with the promo code listed on the page.

Yup, for an all in one system it's an unbelievable price. And to answer your question, it does come with 60ft cables, one of which was long enough to run from my basement rack to the 3rd story attic and go across my house, which is on the extreme end of where most people would run them. Running cat5e/6 from a spool is easier if you're in a tight space because you don't have the bulk of the head, but even so I had little problem running the pre terminated lengths it came with by taping everything together to an abandoned run of coax. So long as you're got a slightly bigger hole and tape the head to avoid damage to the pullout tab, it shouldn't be an issue.

For the mini ptz cameras it comes with, one of those by themselves (in slightly higher resolution) costs more than the entire kit, just for perspective. And even that is cheaper than larger, crappier ptz cams sold elsewhere.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

housefly posted:

After my break in I'm going to invest in some security cameras. Not sure a wired solution is best since I'm renting. How are people routing the cables for these? 60 feet doesn't seem too long of a run for some lengths. I think I'd prefer something wireless that can get triggered from smartthings. Suggestions?

I started out with a wireless FLIR fx camera in my mudroom. For long term monitoring, I wouldn't go with anything like that because there's too many things that can gently caress up and break with wireless, plus it consumes a ton of your wireless bandwidth for the camera, and a ton of your internet bandwidth for streaming. One or two of those cameras will effectively kill your network.

If you're in someplace lucky enough to have gigabit service, not a problem, but if you're like me and stuck with 15Mb/s service, it sucks. Massively. They are usually easier to place initially because most people have more electrical outlets than data port outlets. "Wireless cameras" are wholly dependent on there being a power outlet nearby, so pretty well limited to indoor use. I for one don't want cameras indoors, especially something hackable. Plus if you want it somewhere other than sitting a shelf, it's much easier to run low voltage ethernet than new electric circuits for power, the latter of which you definitely aren't doing in a rental. Nomatter what you buy, you're still tied to a cord. Your choices are a slim ethernet cable for power plus data, or a regular 120v line for power and a huge chunk of your wireless for data.

If you're renting, you could just always use wire mold to hide the cables, or run cabling along the exterior of walls. Cable installers usually take the easy way out and drill straight through the walls to the exterior and run along that, which is a low effort temporary-ish solution depending on your circumstances and available tools.

If you're putting a wireless camera on the exterior, you'll need to plug that into an exterior power outlet, which will likely be a gfci, which will likely trip from moisture issues if you leave it plugged in long term, effectively killing the camera. Plus you've got a large bulky orange power cord dangling to where you've put the camera.

That's my perspective at least. Stuff like nest cam with custom motion zone monitoring would be so much more appealing if they offered a poe model instead of wireless only. Too much wireless interference, still reliant on cables, and too much potential for failure. Plus, if someone breaks in, they're just going to steal that 200$ camera as well.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

OSU_Matthew posted:

I started out with a wireless FLIR fx camera in my mudroom. For long term monitoring, I wouldn't go with anything like that because there's too many things that can gently caress up and break with wireless, plus it consumes a ton of your wireless bandwidth for the camera, and a ton of your internet bandwidth for streaming. One or two of those cameras will effectively kill your network.

If you're in someplace lucky enough to have gigabit service, not a problem, but if you're like me and stuck with 15Mb/s service, it sucks. Massively. They are usually easier to place initially because most people have more electrical outlets than data port outlets. "Wireless cameras" are wholly dependent on there being a power outlet nearby, so pretty well limited to indoor use. I for one don't want cameras indoors, especially something hackable. Plus if you want it somewhere other than sitting a shelf, it's much easier to run low voltage ethernet than new electric circuits for power, the latter of which you definitely aren't doing in a rental. Nomatter what you buy, you're still tied to a cord. Your choices are a slim ethernet cable for power plus data, or a regular 120v line for power and a huge chunk of your wireless for data.

If you're renting, you could just always use wire mold to hide the cables, or run cabling along the exterior of walls. Cable installers usually take the easy way out and drill straight through the walls to the exterior and run along that, which is a low effort temporary-ish solution depending on your circumstances and available tools.

If you're putting a wireless camera on the exterior, you'll need to plug that into an exterior power outlet, which will likely be a gfci, which will likely trip from moisture issues if you leave it plugged in long term, effectively killing the camera. Plus you've got a large bulky orange power cord dangling to where you've put the camera.

That's my perspective at least. Stuff like nest cam with custom motion zone monitoring would be so much more appealing if they offered a poe model instead of wireless only. Too much wireless interference, still reliant on cables, and too much potential for failure. Plus, if someone breaks in, they're just going to steal that 200$ camera as well.

Valid points. Note that this would just be two cameras and for internal only (one to monitor front door, one to monitor the back door). I wouldn't want them constantly streaming, but rather to start recording when my smart things detects an intrusion. I'd love cloud backup if possible as well as local storage. I'm sure there's a way to accomplish this. Since my front room and kitchen are where the cameras would be located, I'm not concerned about power as I have ample outlets. The layout of my place would make running the cables to the camera back to a central DVR a little more complicated. Not insurmountable, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Are any of you guys installing cameras under soffit? Running the cable is definitely going to be the most difficult part of this, and I'm trying to plan ahead so I get it right the first time.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

Are any of you guys installing cameras under soffit? Running the cable is definitely going to be the most difficult part of this, and I'm trying to plan ahead so I get it right the first time.

I installed several of my wired cameras under soffits. I found the spot I wanted to mount, drilled a hole in the wooden soffit and I used a fish tape.

I just fed like 5 feet of fish tape up into the hole and then went into the attic. Taped the power and video wires to the end and then pulled it back through the soffit from the outside.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

I have this setup in my house, but it is more per light in a room room. I have a motion sensors, hue bulbs, and smart things, based on the time and other factors as you walk from room to hallway to another room the lights turn off and on behind and in front of you.

I also have hue light strips under the bed and motion sensors on each side as you walk around the bed room at night the bed under glow turns on, great for not disturbing your partner while they are sleeping but allowing you to see.

Between the motion sensors and Echo, I haven't had to touch a light switch in well over 2 years.

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2016

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Scrapez posted:

I installed several of my wired cameras under soffits. I found the spot I wanted to mount, drilled a hole in the wooden soffit and I used a fish tape.

I just fed like 5 feet of fish tape up into the hole and then went into the attic. Taped the power and video wires to the end and then pulled it back through the soffit from the outside.

I guess I should've specified that they've vinyl. But the PO installed speakers in the backyard so I think I'll be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Dbhjed posted:

I have this setup in my house, but it is more per light in a room room. I have a motion sensors, hue bulbs, and smart things, based on the time and other factors as you walk from room to hallway to another room the lights turn off and on behind and in front of you.

I also have hue light strips under the bed and motion sensors on each side as you walk around the bed room at night the bed under glow turns on, great for not disturbing your partner while they are sleeping but allowing you to see.

Between the motion sensors and Echo, I haven't had to touch a light switch in well over 2 years.

Can you give me a little more detail here? it sounds awesome. Hue bulbs I get. Smart things I think I get, looks like its a video monitoring system, but I guess its a general smart hub as well? What motion sensors do you use? Thanks.