Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, its kinda weird how that ended up. By default you'd think its the Empire, but the lore goes out of its way to say that its actually the Bretonnians. They actually use cannon in the navy too, if I remember right?

Gotta remember, it's Germany and France. If Spain were more important in this game, they'd probably be the big ones, and if Britain weren't 900AD Britain they'd probably go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

wiegieman posted:

Questing for the Grail is a really personal thing for Bretonnian Knights. The purpose is for them to reach a point where the only thing they have left to go on is faith and willpower, when they're shown absolute proof that the Grail isn't in the world. If they resolve to keep going despite that, the next day they'll meet the Lady and drink from the Grail.

You have to hand it the to Ariel and the Asrai. They did a fantastic job mindfucking an entire culture

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rygar201 posted:

You have to hand it the to Ariel and the Asrai. They did a fantastic job mindfucking an entire culture

It's a very easy way to make sure they have total control over who becomes the King and who becomes the most powerful and respected Knights, yes.

They also totally were the snipers on the grassy knoll who shot down Giles when he was no longer useful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Night10194 posted:

It's a very easy way to make sure they have total control over who becomes the King and who becomes the most powerful and respected Knights, yes.

They also totally were the snipers on the grassy knoll who shot down Giles when he was no longer useful.

Giles le Breton is the Green Knight, and he personally vets each and every grail knight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I finally have a computer that can run this game. Im having one hell of a time not dying to everything as Greenskins and finding its way too easy to go to war as Dwarves. Despite being bad at the game Im still having fun.

Is any of the DLC worth getting right away if Im still in the learning phase?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Furnaceface posted:

I finally have a computer that can run this game. Im having one hell of a time not dying to everything as Greenskins and finding its way too easy to go to war as Dwarves. Despite being bad at the game Im still having fun.

Is any of the DLC worth getting right away if Im still in the learning phase?

There's a lot to unpack even without DLC, but if you need a little extra spice then pick up a pack for a race that interests you. King & the Warlord is the best value by far, and offers two new lords in two new start positions that shake up Dwarf/Greenskin gameplay. If you're having an easy time as Dwarfs then I do suggest checking out the Clan Angrund campaign. Your unit upkeep is doubled at first but you get access to a full set of Dwarf heroes from the beginning of the game. Just be aware there's no shame in bailing on an Angrund campaign after retaking Eight Peaks.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 20, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yukitsu posted:

Gotta remember, it's Germany and France. If Spain were more important in this game, they'd probably be the big ones, and if Britain weren't 900AD Britain they'd probably go with them.

Isn't there an island of Albion off the coast of the Wasteland though? I would have thought GW would stick an English faction on there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

V for Vegas posted:

Isn't there an island of Albion off the coast of the Wasteland though? I would have thought GW would stick an English faction on there.

Yup. It's all druids, standing stones, primitive islanders, rain and mud.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Asari don't have any control over Corrigyn whether she is in her guise as Lady of the Lake or not.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I like how Warhammer has Arthurian France, Woodland spirit elves and renaissance Germany all in one small area and how it all kinda makes some strange sort of sense.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah, 900 AD non-Ango-Saxon celtic, woad wearing Brits.

Oops, I mean BC.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Triskelli posted:

There's a lot to unpack even without DLC, but if you need a little extra spice then pick up a pack for a race that interests you. King & the Warlord is the best value by far, and offers two new lords in two new start positions that shake up Dwarf/Greenskin gameplay. If you're having an easy time as Dwarfs then I do suggest checking out the Clan Angrund campaign. Your unit upkeep is doubled at first but you get access to a full set of Dwarf heroes from the beginning of the game. Just be aware there's no shame in bailing on an Angrund campaign after retaking Eight Peaks.

That sounds right up my alley actually.

And by easy I meant that its really easy to get suckered into a lot of wars as Dwarves, especially early on. Allying with the other clans always comes back to bite me in the rear end since they seem to pick fights with everyone and drag me along.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I really hope CA has the license for the Warhammer naval stuff. If Ulthuan and not-America are added, it's going to be really weird if naval combat is not a thing. I don't want to invade the High Elves and then auto-resolve most of my battles because they'd be on the ocean.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dezztroy posted:

I really hope CA has the license for the Warhammer naval stuff.

I'm pretty sure someone else has the Man-O-War license, so, nope.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'd be fine with auto-autoresolving, like before Empire, to be perfectly honest. Like if any TW game could have fun naval combat it's this one, but they just don't have a great track record.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

V for Vegas posted:

It's just a huge bog land full of bog people and mud shamans. So about right really.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Dravs posted:

It's just a huge bog land full of bog people and mud shamans. So about right really.

And is full of mysterious ruins of the Old Ones *waves hands spookily*

The end of the Albion event on TT is the last time I can remember there being a sly crossover between FB and 40K.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Krazyface posted:

I'd be fine with auto-autoresolving, like before Empire, to be perfectly honest. Like if any TW game could have fun naval combat it's this one, but they just don't have a great track record.

Every gunpowder-focused game has had fun naval combat though, it's only when it's all about boarding that it sucks.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Empire went wrong when you had more than handful of ships to manage. I also seem to remember a bug where if a sloop shot at a ship of the line it would ignore the ships "armor" and detonate the magazine far more easily than it should have.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Vlex posted:

And is full of mysterious ruins of the Old Ones *waves hands spookily*

The end of the Albion event on TT is the last time I can remember there being a sly crossover between FB and 40K.

I kind of hope we get Albion and the random poo poo that's on there as like, RoR that everyone can access. Somehow I doubt it though.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Eh, Albion is basically the 19th century English tabloids racist caricature of Ireland, complete with fomorian rape monsters.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Whay was the sly crossover?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vlex posted:

Doesn't 40K's Kaldor Draigo have a cameo in one of the Endtime fluff books?

Affi posted:

Whay was the sly crossover?
If I recall right, the winners of the Albion event got certain magical artifacts that basically were a Power Fist & Sword and Power Armor from 40K.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been watching some Beastman campaign videos. Is the Gorebull as fun as it seems? I may have to pick some DLC for Christmas, even if I haven't touched Vampires yet.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fat Samurai posted:

Been watching some Beastman campaign videos. Is the Gorebull as fun as it seems?

No. It's even better. It's a melee monster that gives really nice stat buffs to the rest of the army. I think it gets the training skill too.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
After the Albion event didn't they say the Lizardmen had started building an outpost in the island?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, Gorebulls and Minotaurs are the most fun units in the game. I always make time to zoom in nice and close when I tell them to charge a unit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dezztroy posted:

Every gunpowder-focused game has had fun naval combat though, it's only when it's all about boarding that it sucks.

I liked the Rome 2/Attila naval landing battles. It was fun to see how many enemy ships you could sink with ballistas and catapults before they landed on the beaches and stormed your garrison.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Anyone having luck using chariots now? The chaos ones I've been fighting seem extremely tough.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
What features do you guys feel would increase your enjoyment of the game the most?

Battle speeches would certainly be at the top of my list of stuff I miss from earlier titles.

https://youtu.be/-9kMBbno0As?t=14

I really miss having my general offering tactical advice, bragging about his undefeated record against a given enemy or just hurling egregious insults at the foe.

The speeches would also be modified by whatever traits you had picked up organically along the way so bloody minded generals would often announce their desire to shower in the guts of their foe, while generals of doubtful courage would tell their men they'd be orchestrating the battle from the rear. Out of military prudence, not cowardice, mind you!

To me having this stuff return would go a long way to creating a greater, more personalized attachment to your leaders, all the while immersing you more fully both in the narrative of your particular campaign and in the lore of the Warhammer world more generally.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 20, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I haven't tried them much but I am curious because greenskins for example get a good number of upgrades for them.

I was going to put Kazrak on one in my beastmen mini campaign until I saw the stat changes; yeah you get a speed and charge boost but at the cost of nearly everything else. It's a total waste if you've been putting points in his yellow skills up to that point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

PerilPastry posted:

What features do you guys feel would increase your enjoyment of the game the most?

Battle speeches would certainly be at the top of my list of stuff I miss from earlier titles.

I really miss having my general offering tactical advice, bragging about his undefeated record against a given enemy or just hurling egregious insults at the foe.

The speeches would also be modified by whatever traits you had picked up organically along the way so bloody minded generals would often announce their desire to shower in the guts of their foe, while generals of doubtful courage would tell their men they'd be orchestrating the battle from the rear. Out of military prudence, not cowardice, mind you!

To me having this stuff return would go a long way to creating a greater, more personalized attachment to your leaders, all the while immersing you more fully both in the narrative of your particular campaign and in the lore of the Warhammer world more generally.

Oh totally this. I would pay for a DLC that was just pre-battle speeches.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure someone else has the Man-O-War license, so, nope.

And im pretty sure they atleast have some of the rights to it anyways seeing as they showed this off early on:

In one of the early streams, maybe the very first one which also featured the above ship they also showed you could recruit admirals in port based cities, and then there was the leak of all those lovely ship unit cards:
http://imgur.com/a/fjAjA

If they didn't have any of the rights they wouldn't have put in any work on it at all.

Remember they said it was proving too costly to put in, and by that they meant all this work they're doing was detracting from the main game, not licencing issues.

Then remember what they've kept saying since after launch: they are redefining how much they are willing to spend on the games future expansions and DLC's, since the game is selling so well.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2016

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Panfilo posted:

I haven't tried them much but I am curious because greenskins for example get a good number of upgrades for them.

I was going to put Kazrak on one in my beastmen mini campaign until I saw the stat changes; yeah you get a speed and charge boost but at the cost of nearly everything else. It's a total waste if you've been putting points in his yellow skills up to that point.

I found Khazrak an absolute monster on his chariot when I played through. Dunno if anything's changed since then though, I played through right after the DLC launched.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How do Glade Guard do as shock/melee cav when fully buffed up with a red Lord?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anyone having luck using chariots now? The chaos ones I've been fighting seem extremely tough.

They're definitely better now, Black Coach aside. Maybe not super cost/micro effective, but not a complete waste of money like they used to be.

Also Khazrak on his chariot is actually a beast. He gives up some stats sure but he gains a huge amount of AP damage, a +26 bonus vs infantry and in combination with his yellow line can easily have something like 120 charge bonus. Every time I've stuck him on a chariot in campaign he ends up getting hundreds of kills every battle without me even bothering to micro him much.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sassassin posted:

How do Glade Guard do as shock/melee cav when fully buffed up with a red Lord?

You mean Glade Riders? They're competent at it, can't really stand up to dedicated cav or anti-large troops but they'll get the job done against light troops.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

John Charity Spring posted:

You mean Glade Riders? They're competent at it, can't really stand up to dedicated cav or anti-large troops but they'll get the job done against light troops.

Yeah, riders.

Although Glade Guard with every speed & charge bonus might be an entertaining alternative.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Haven't finished a welf campaign yet but I'm itching to burn the world with Morghur. Drown the world in chaos spawn. How does his start stack up to the other LL's?

Fat Samurai posted:

Been watching some Beastman campaign videos. Is the Gorebull as fun as it seems? I may have to pick some DLC for Christmas, even if I haven't touched Vampires yet.

It's the best hero unit in my opinion.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I want some of the old interactivity back now that they seem to understand that the Empire-through-Rome2 "lock on and duel" mod was kind of poo. One of my favorite things about Rome I and Medieval 2 was when a unit was losing, it would actually physically be pushed back as a whole and enveloped. Starting in Empire, units just kind of clash along this static front line, each stepping up for their turn to fight.

• Locked thread