Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

sony's been holding back ps classics from ps4 because they think that when ps now is mature and they have a business model for it that works that it will serve as their one stop back catalog service.
when that happens is anybody's guess though because it costs too much on top of other game services and 3rd party publishers all have to be on board with it and that's probably like herding greedy cats but its still a very new thing and works surprisingly great in my experience so hopefully it turns into something people actually want.

When PS Now works it's pretty great, but even tiny breaks in gameplay made me lose interest drat quick. They sold me on a PS3 that way because Uncharted 1 at the time was just about playable on PSNow and there wasn't even a hint of an HD collection coming out. I can't imagine playing Demon's Souls on it either, one little hiccup and you can be totally screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dewgy posted:

When PS Now works it's pretty great, but even tiny breaks in gameplay made me lose interest drat quick. They sold me on a PS3 that way because Uncharted 1 at the time was just about playable on PSNow and there wasn't even a hint of an HD collection coming out. I can't imagine playing Demon's Souls on it either, one little hiccup and you can be totally screwed.

Can you elaborate a bit, cause Demon's Souls is on my list of games to play so I'd like to know what might be on the way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess I don't know how to describe it but Super Meat Boy's platforming has a flow/pace to it that I really like (and I think it controls fine)

I go back to it a lot even after getting the trophies just because it's fun to blaze through real quick

I hate hate hate that meat boy characters stick to walls. It takes a good 2 seconds to let go of the wall if you're holding in the opposite direction. If I wanted to stick to the wall and slide down it, I'd just let go of the control stick! :argh:

Also, the air physics and ground physics are like polar opposites and it sucks to be walking and then instantly dead stop, whereas if I'd jumped I would have kept going.

Cavelcade posted:

Can you elaborate a bit, cause Demon's Souls is on my list of games to play so I'd like to know what might be on the way.

There's a very small amount of latency, but it's just enough to be noticeable. And also, if you don't have a rock steady internet connection you'll pretty rarely just lose control of the game for a second or two.

edit: Also, Demon's Souls isn't on PS Now outside of the JP PSN store, so you'll have to make a JP PSN account and play it in japanese if you want to do that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 20, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I hate hate hate that meat boy characters stick to walls. It takes a good 2 seconds to let go of the wall if you're holding in the opposite direction. If I wanted to stick to the wall and slide down it, I'd just let go of the stick! :argh:

You should check you don't have one of the many input lag glitches because that's the big thing you hear people complain about when it isn't working right. During one of the GDQs the runner had to stop the run because he couldn't get unstuck from walls.

Notable causes are uh, having any sort of DS4 drivers installed, using a DS4, not using Windows XP, running in full screen instead of windowed. Probably other stuff. Game is really, really badly coded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is on Xbox 360. It's not a glitch, it's intended behavior. (intended behavior that sucks)

edit: But it is the same way on PC either way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

quote:

Walkthrough for the 'Assassin's Creed' Movie: Don't Go.

quote:

The Assassin's Creed video games are about skipping through tedious cut scenes set in the present so that you can vault into the past, through and over gorgeous recreations of the roofs and streets of medieval and Renaissance cities. Sometimes you chase floating feathers through Florence. Often, you'll sneak behind and murder the wicked. And every time you're tasked with trailing a mark through a marketplace, you will accidentally climb a trellis for no reason.

The Assassin's Creed movie is about all the parts you might skip in the games.

quote:

In the end, it’s game over long before the movie is.

:drat:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Assassins Creed movie is reviewing worst then I expected. Like I knew this was going to be a terrible film but not this bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know I'm like a century late on this, but since I saw Maze of Galious discussion a while back, Anubis and the Buried Bone is shaping up to be a decent thing in the same vein.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do they even bother making video game movies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I enjoyed Warcraft at least :/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Because almost every blockbuster has to be an adaptation of existing IP in the name of name recognition and sequel potential.

Also Warcraft was the highest-grossing video game movie ever made so it's only going to get worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side the Uncharted movie was canceled.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know I'm like a century late on this, but since I saw Maze of Galious discussion a while back, Anubis and the Buried Bone is shaping up to be a decent thing in the same vein.

neat thanks

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cavelcade posted:

Fiber internet here so it's not a bandwidth issue, but when you get hiccups the entire display goes grey like a busted video file and you'll either constantly spam the same inputs or lose control completely for about two to three seconds. It's not all that frequent, but more often than never is too often for me, it bugs me too much. I can see an entire fight going south or running off a cliff by accident in Demon's pretty easily due to a hitch at the wrong time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cavelcade posted:

Personally, even using WiFi and having the PS4 in the bedroom while the router is in the living room, I never had a single issue with input lag on PSNow. YMMV

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, they should stick to board games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Yeah, they should stick to board games

Battleship and Clue are better than almost every video games movie, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92IkddsjtAA

Rock Or Roll
Feb 18, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The Assassins Creed movie is reviewing worst then I expected. Like I knew this was going to be a terrible film but not this bad.

What a shame, I usually like Fassbender's acting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to the prison stuff in rogue galaxy. Idk what changed between the last planet and this one but now my AI guys die instantly at the start of every fight

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

I got to the prison stuff in rogue galaxy. Idk what changed between the last planet and this one but now my AI guys die instantly at the start of every fight

Rogue Galaxy is a very grindy game. You're just underpowered.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah every area requires a pretty big leveling commitment from what i remember if you want to breeze through.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

:swoon:

But it's made in Java :confused: There's a demo apparently as well. Gonna have to try it out later!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hand of fate is a crazy good game, I recommend anyone who hasn't played it yet consider buying it when the Steam Holiday sale starts. It's just a super fun and engaging little gem of a game that mixes 3 distinct gameplay genres into one great experience. Unlocking more cards is the main reward for playing, which just ends up making the game increasingly complex and challenging, but you never feel like it's not worth the potential rewards. The Arkham-style combat's not quite as smooth or deep as the official WB games that use it, but it's still really fun and definitely challenging with the enemy variety (something Batman always had a problem with) and various spells you can use. The only bad things I have to say is that your character looks like an utter doofus

and that the very final boss being all cinematic and having multiple phases is an ill fit for a roguelite, since losing to any of his phases means you have to start a new game from scratch, leaving 25 minutes or more between each attempt, which is just obnoxious. Oh, and this is very minor, but the dealer has so many great lines fitting for so many situations, from new cards to repeated encounters to monsters to purchases you make, so it's a bit of a letdown that he can't seem to tell the difference between replaying a deck for fun or because you died and are trying again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

On the plus side the Uncharted movie was canceled.

Uncharted 4 came out though :confused:

edit: But actually, I think I'd wanna see an Uncharted movie if it was a pulpy adventure movie a la Indana Jones. But as a video game movie it could never possibly be good :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The ace attorney movie kicks rear end

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I never did beat Hand of Fate, I should go back and give that a look after I finish Half-genie Hero

I should actually play Half-minute Hero again and actually play the sequel too

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Hand of fate is a crazy good game, I recommend anyone who hasn't played it yet consider buying it when the Steam Holiday sale starts. It's just a super fun and engaging little gem of a game that mixes 3 distinct gameplay genres into one great experience. Unlocking more cards is the main reward for playing, which just ends up making the game increasingly complex and challenging, but you never feel like it's not worth the potential rewards. The Arkham-style combat's not quite as smooth or deep as the official WB games that use it, but it's still really fun and definitely challenging with the enemy variety (something Batman always had a problem with) and various spells you can use. The only bad things I have to say is that your character looks like an utter doofus

and that the very final boss being all cinematic and having multiple phases is an ill fit for a roguelite, since losing to any of his phases means you have to start a new game from scratch, leaving 25 minutes or more between each attempt, which is just obnoxious. Oh, and this is very minor, but the dealer has so many great lines fitting for so many situations, from new cards to repeated encounters to monsters to purchases you make, so it's a bit of a letdown that he can't seem to tell the difference between replaying a deck for fun or because you died and are trying again.

Hand of Fate is awesome, it's definitely one of the best surprises I've gotten in a humble bundle.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Between the Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, and Suicide Squad movies being almost unwatchably bad, geeks have had a hard go of it this year at the theaters.

At least Deadpool, Star Wars, and Doc Strange were all decent enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Between the Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, and Suicide Squad movies being almost unwatchably bad, geeks have had a hard go of it this year at the theaters.

At least Deadpool, Star Wars, and Doc Strange were all decent enough.

i'm nearly done with star wars and marvel movies. there are so many out and in the works that i just can't care unless something really special comes along. doc strange was pretty great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm irrationally upset that the Blade Runner sequel is a real thing and the teaser came out today. I feel very strongly that this is a thing that shouldn't exist and it's pointless.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm nearly done with star wars and marvel movies. there are so many out and in the works that i just can't care unless something really special comes along. doc strange was pretty great.

That's fair. They're at a high saturation point. I still watch and enjoy them but I can't fault others for not keeping up with this poo poo anymore. Disney really absorbed the comic book crazy whether they bought Marvel apparently.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I'm irrationally upset that the Blade Runner sequel is a real thing and the teaser came out today. I feel very strongly that this is a thing that shouldn't exist and it's pointless.

Me too. I haven't watched the teaser yet.

I really like Denis Villenueve, and he can probably make a good film. It's just... Blade Runner was a perfect self-contained package. A spin-off or sequel that didn't contain any of the same characters would probably be fine, but I am not happy about this idea.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snak posted:

Me too. I haven't watched the teaser yet.

I really like Denis Villenueve, and he can probably make a good film. It's just... Blade Runner was a perfect self-contained package. A spin-off or sequel that didn't contain any of the same characters would probably be fine, but I am not happy about this idea.

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Harrison Ford is in this too, which makes me even more upset because I originally thought he wasn't going to be in this which would have soften the blow. How is Harrison Ford even still alive?

Yeah, I just watched the teaser.

Not hyped.

Okay, maybe a little bit, but honestly, it's gonna be really hard to shake the ugly feeling that this movie is based on ruining the ending of Blade Runner.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The movie sequel can't be worse than the Bladerunner novel sequels that came out years ago, holy gently caress they were awful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Total Recall 2070 is all the Bladerunner sequel I need... god I love that lovely show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I wish instead it was another Judge Dredd movie from the Dredd people. That movie was just a lot of fun. The team wanted to make another but last I heard they were having trouble getting funding.

Two sequels were planned, they aren't being made though. Karl Urban was totally on board too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Where is our 2000AD Cinematic Universe?!?! Don't they know that's where all the money is these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

Two sequels were planned, they aren't being made though. Karl Urban was totally on board too.

Man that blows. Urban made a great Dredd and Olivia Thirlby made a cool psychic sidekick.

• Locked thread