Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I wish tunnels and bridges had way way higher upkeep costs so there was actually a realistic financial reason not to solve all problems with tunnels and bridges.

nah, this is fine and good as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish tunnels and bridges had way way higher upkeep costs so there was actually a realistic financial reason not to solve all problems with tunnels and bridges.

You play with money turned on? :cmon:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

That is an impressive piece of work.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I managed to make it so that all traffic flowing into the city must use it, and all traffic leaving must use it. Also anyone going from the industrial part must use it, and anyone going to the industrial part must use it. Basically, if you own a car you must use it. It is pretty much like what I imagine North Korean city planning is like - just huge, useless prestige projects which people are forced to pay respect to despite their state of relative poverty.

Oddly enough, there are no queues at all within my territory. Only in the pre-generated interchange off the side of the map are there any queues. Smooth as butter and as functional as an 18ft solid gold codpiece.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
For anyone wondering, I think it is about 12 layers of roundabout, going outwards each level you go up or down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if anyone else is getting flickering trees, it's random tree rotation. BP is looking into it, but it seems to be causing tree gently caress ups for a lot of people post-patch.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
For people using different building styles for different districts (I'm specifically looking at Baronjutter and his awesome Euro/medieval style cities), are you downloading whole styles through the workshop? Or are you making your own styles using a mod?

I've been playing mostly vanilla so far, but it might be time to go crazy with the buildings.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Albino Squirrel posted:

For people using different building styles for different districts (I'm specifically looking at Baronjutter and his awesome Euro/medieval style cities), are you downloading whole styles through the workshop? Or are you making your own styles using a mod?

I've been playing mostly vanilla so far, but it might be time to go crazy with the buildings.

When I do styles for different districts, I use the lovely Building Themes mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=466158459
Best thing is, it lets you go into the themes manager in-game and select what 'growable' buildings you'd like to place in a specific district. For example, in my case, I have a bunch of trailer and mobile homes downloaded, and want to have a kinda trailer park low density area. So I district off the area I want to grow, then go into (again, in-game and very simple) my themes manager through the 'themes' tab (same where you select recycling and education boost and taxes stuff, just another tab), and either create a new theme from built-in and workshop assets, select a theme you've already set, or use a theme you've downloaded from the workshop. It's quite easy and intuitive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's a tricky thing to deal with and sometimes a pain in the rear end but it's all set up by hand then modified as I download new buildings. It also helps to know the game will always build the biggest possible building it can fit, so if you just got a pack of high density 1x2 row buildings (like those great polish and danish packs) you will see 0 of them in game unless you make a theme that forbids anything bigger than 1x wide buildings. If you have even a single 2x building the game will grow 99% that 2x. So oddly enough I usually end up building themes around the size of the buildings as well as the style. Also keep in mind the levels of course and try to group things that look good together at the same level in the same theme and then use control building level up to lock the district to that level. Also the building theme mod's interface is really good and really helps you sort and find buildings.

But for the most part I usually just have like 4-5 themes at once. Like a generic euro core theme that's the default euro buildings plus what ever "berlin" poo poo I found on the workshop, it all works together since they're all the same general sizes. Then I have a "tiny euro" theme that's all 1x wide buildings in both high and low density plus some smaller corner buildings. Where the theme suffers is the lack of commercial or office in the same general scale and feel. Then a "suburbs" theme which is all the 2x default "international" houses and some downloaded ones (because the 1x houses and 4x4 houses are ridiculously insanely unforgivably out of scale) plus the default/international buildings. I usually always lock this to wealth level 1 or 2 because the houses start to look goofy after that and the low-rise apartments turn into ugly skyscrapers.

Themes and grown buildings are ok for certain areas, but I really prefer to rico plop as much as I can, specially larger buildings. A big swath of suburbia or european row buildings look fine grown, but a modern housing complex or industrial area looks so much better rico'd.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
This is with the boformer mod, yeah?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose that yes, if you get enough traffic going for long enough, in that circle, you will eventually slow down the rotation of the planet and increase producitvity by making people work longer days.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's the little town I'm working on to get back in the swing of things. So far it's just the city edge and industrial areas.

I'm trying to get into this whole hand placed props business, maybe I'm missing some tools or techniques but it's really hard getting things aligned and where they should be.
It's so good that we finally have reasonably sized industry that when zoomed way out you can still tell "yep, that's the industrial area because the buildings are all 100x bigger than the houses"

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Tsunami came :v:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
There's something incredibly satisfying about damming a large river and then unleashing it upon the city downstream. The water physics in this game sent the flood to places I never expected.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I want to get off MR BONE'S WIDE ROAD!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sorry to ask this here: but search isn't finding the Simcity thread for some reason.

Just picked SC4 back up, installed the latest NAM, and started a new region. I'm only at 605 population, and all of the sudden nothing is being built.

C is the only zone in demand, which there is plenty zoned of. I've tried dezoning, and moving the zones around, and nothing. Other C built fine at the beginning of the city. I put down a school, clinic, water, and city connections, but still nothing budges.

I've never had this problem before. Help? Using the Steam version if it matters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Orgophlax posted:

Sorry to ask this here: but search isn't finding the Simcity thread for some reason.

Just picked SC4 back up, installed the latest NAM, and started a new region. I'm only at 605 population, and all of the sudden nothing is being built.

C is the only zone in demand, which there is plenty zoned of. I've tried dezoning, and moving the zones around, and nothing. Other C built fine at the beginning of the city. I put down a school, clinic, water, and city connections, but still nothing budges.

I've never had this problem before. Help? Using the Steam version if it matters.

A huge portion of my brain seemingly is still dedicated to sc4 and every weird rear end quirk in the simulation but I can't think of anything that would cause this. The zones have power and everything? All roads are connected to each other?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

A huge portion of my brain seemingly is still dedicated to sc4 and every weird rear end quirk in the simulation but I can't think of anything that would cause this. The zones have power and everything? All roads are connected to each other?

Yeah all the basic stuff is fine.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been thinking about getting into the winter spirit by playing a snowfall city. However, when I last tried, it seemed impossible to do so in a way that made sense because you were always having massive power issues at night. Did that ever get tweaked?

It's perfectly manageable, you just have to use fossil fuels when you're starting out instead of windfarms. Snow maps are just a slightly higher difficulty level because of the additional money sinks that the high electricity requirements/heating infrastructure bring to the table, but the game is not a hard game so I think it's ok to have it as a slighty more challenging mode.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
dont forget you gotta plow your roads

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I want to get off MR BONE'S WIDE ROAD!

when i have my pc again in the new year i will be making a new, stronger road, with more complexity and more layers

it will be a masterpiece which people remember me for

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Can someone tell me how to get Cimtographer to stop deleting loving roads in the exported OSM? I know it has a hard-coded road segment limit but it's well over 30,000 and there is no loving way I have that many segments in this one small section of city

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yikes, I've been doing some therapeutic roadbuilding again but I'm probably not even going to add buildings because ehh I unsubscribed from errthing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do you have move it? Move it is the best most powerful mod in a long time.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have move it? Move it is the best most powerful mod in a long time.

Yeah I got it back when it came out, then immediately stopped playing, and just started again last weekend. What's the best way to use it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's just awesome to be able to tweak roads and poo poo without constantly rebuilding because a thing isn't 100% aligned how you wanted. You can also use it on BUILDINGS and basically anything in the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I spent like an hour last night mass converting lots of growables to rico plops so I can anarchy move-it them to form nice curves and form perfect(er) street-walls of buildings.

Now this fuckin' mod comes out! Holy poo poo this changes eveything.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821539759

Subyng
May 4, 2013
woah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPlRUF9A8o

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Is there an easy way to C/P an intersection like this yet? I know the asset creation tool was severely limited in its ability to save things this complicated way back in the day, but if I were to start playing again I'd want to kill myself after the 3rd or 4th intersection.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I've had this for a while now and never really played it. I started to get in to it last week and now I'm hooked.

I am a little foggy on a few things.

1) Do buildings upgrade based on education? I thought I read that somewhere, but not sure. What births Skyscrapers? I know things like parks make people happy and that has a part in it.

2) Is the point to upgrade everyone to geniuses? Or keep a section of slums and poo poo-tier housing for the factories?

3) Do I still need dumps if I drop Incinerators? And Cemeteries if I drop Crematoriums?

4) Do roads matter as far as buildings upgrading? Could you have say, a dirt road with a Skyscraper? I know I need to upgrade for traffic issues, but I'm just curious.

5) Do you need to keep low density res/com after you get the high density versions? Or should you start converting to the high density EVERYTHING when you get it?

I think if I had a handle on these things it would make the game more fun. I have a city of about 30K right now and things are running well, but no skyscrapers yet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mistayke posted:

I've had this for a while now and never really played it. I started to get in to it last week and now I'm hooked.

I am a little foggy on a few things.

1) Do buildings upgrade based on education? I thought I read that somewhere, but not sure. What births Skyscrapers? I know things like parks make people happy and that has a part in it.

2) Is the point to upgrade everyone to geniuses? Or keep a section of slums and poo poo-tier housing for the factories?

3) Do I still need dumps if I drop Incinerators? And Cemeteries if I drop Crematoriums?

4) Do roads matter as far as buildings upgrading? Could you have say, a dirt road with a Skyscraper? I know I need to upgrade for traffic issues, but I'm just curious.

5) Do you need to keep low density res/com after you get the high density versions? Or should you start converting to the high density EVERYTHING when you get it?

I think if I had a handle on these things it would make the game more fun. I have a city of about 30K right now and things are running well, but no skyscrapers yet.

2.) If you keep the property values around the factories high enough, they'll upgrade into high tech industry on their own and will be able to hire your geniuses. You can also gradually switch over to Offices for all of your "industrial" needs once your universities start pumping out grads.

I keep a section of slums, anyway, because I'm a cruel god-mayor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Residential upgrades are almost entirely based on education, but they also want some basic services. Mouse over their building level to see why they haven't upgraded yet. Office is the most fussy by far for upgrades and need all services, sometimes multiple (like spamming police stations to max out their police satisfaction, it's stupid).

Yes, there's no downside to maxing out levels. Highly educated people can work any job, uneducated people can only work uneducated jobs.

Incinerators and crematoriums are all you need.

Nope, none of that simcity 5 poo poo.

Entirely up to your sense of aesthetics and noble quest for realism.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Entertainingly, you can use your crematoriums to make room at cemetaries to eventually get rid of any cemetary.

Office skyscrapers are basically counting on being in the radius of the "big" service buildings, they give more potent happiness increases compared to placing multiple small service buildings in the neighborhood instead. Basically, some parks are parkier, the big police buildings are policier, the big fire buildings are fireier, etc.

Alternately you can pave the inner city with police and bus stops and get pretty well into skyscraper territory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, multiple bus and metro lines near your office area is one of the best ways to satisfy them. Really, just mouse over their level bar.
There's a mod called something like "extended building information" that just makes what buildings need to level up a lot more clear, should grab it if you're ever confused why they're fussy. Sometimes they just bitch about not enough services, but they don't tell you WHICH service. Surprisingly even industry demands good schools nearby for some reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Industry doesn't need good schools, as much as they want a train station and a freight dock but you can skirt around it by giving them any service that counts as a service. Train station, parks, public transport, police, and fire is usually good enough for level 3.

e. The train station supplying a ton of service bonus would be an automatic reason to provide them for every bit of industry, but counter intuitively if more than one freight station get connected together you'll inevitably start shipping single truckloads of goods from one station to the other because the export AI loves trains when doing timeweighted pathfinding, but there's no chaff control so single loads start getting shipped around on rails. I forget if you can get around it by just not connecting the station.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They also looooove to load up 10% full trains and send them all to the train station closest to the edge of the map then convert back to trucks and drive off the map, just to maximize the amount of truck spam.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Thanks for all this info. I'm loving this and learning a lot!

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Koesj posted:

Yeah I got it back when it came out, then immediately stopped playing, and just started again last weekend. What's the best way to use it?

Turning on anarchy and just drawing highway intersections without worrying about elevation at all is awesome. Just use Move It to change nodes' elevation after the fact. Makes really complex interchanges so much less painful.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Chenghiz posted:

Turning on anarchy and just drawing highway intersections without worrying about elevation at all is awesome. Just use Move It to change nodes' elevation after the fact. Makes really complex interchanges so much less painful.

Holy moly this is a game changer

literally. heh heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I dont understand whats going on here, its awesome yet terrifying and confusing? Long hellways to spread out traffic more? :stare: