Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

janssendalt posted:

I come to SA for my SC news now

how hosed up is that

hey guys

butbutbut...I thought you said Reddit was, liek, superior in every way andahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
After it blows up, there will be commando's saying it was worth it and they had a great experience testing Star Citizen. Bummer it didn't work out. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes though, we knew the risks.

We'll see a lot of that, there is no doubt in my mind.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Great and unique experience getting scammed out of hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars over .jpegs. 10/10, would again! lol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Bullshit. The backers will vanish and never mention it again, like the OUYA

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Foo Diddley posted:

Bullshit. The backers will vanish and never mention it again, like the OUYA

Normally, that happens...but SC has grown such a phenomenal cult around it that I'm betting they'll still proudly defend and mention it, like it gives them some sort of special e-cred or some poo poo.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CrazyLoon posted:

Normally, that happens...but SC has grown such a phenomenal cult around it that I'm betting they'll still proudly defend and mention it, like it gives them some sort of special e-cred or some poo poo.

I figure that just means they'll vanish even harder, but it could go either way I guess

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Slow_Moe posted:

This is a real quote from a real citizen, right?

Soon™

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Releasing the lovely ptu worked it seems. Most of the outrage is now purged

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I mostly hope they don't vanish. I honestly think some of those people need to see their failures in the eyes and be forced to learn from them.

Some will be smart and get out and get a refund.

Others will chalk it up to a learning experience, a very expensive learning experience.

Others still will blame Derek Smart and his legion of goons/alts for spreading FUD, and refund cascade, etc. etc.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Early access hero John Smedley of H1Z1 fame Smedleys again:

smed posted:

Hi folks,

Sorry for the lack of news or updates. To put it bluntly here part of being a startup means money is tight and funding is a major part of what we have to do as a startup. We're working through some things and I appreciate your patience. Sorry for not being more transparent on this particular issue but the simple truth is sometimes there isn't much that we can say. More info soon.

Smed

https://www.reddit.com/r/Herossong/comments/5j84rj/brief_update/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Slow_Moe posted:

Others still will blame Derek Smart and his legion of goons/alts for spreading FUD, and refund cascade, etc. etc.

And still, all CIG has to do to prove derek wrong is release a decently stable vertical slice. Nothing more. lmao

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

quote:

Production Update

Mitch again. We’re still up to our eyeballs in work (gotta end the year strong) so to keep things focused we’ve put together a list of all the stuff we can remember doing since GenCon ‘16. Since we’re not going for a long verbose explanation of everything (or a super-high level overview of everything either) feel free to hit us up with questions in the ASK THE DEVS section of our forums on battletechgame.com and someone will try and answer you when they get some spare cycles.

Updated, expanded, and refined the combat interface
Added multi-targeting (so you can split your fire between more than one enemy).
Added melee (including Death From Above)
Added commander abilities such as calling in airstrikes and artillery barrages
Added pilot skills and activatable combat abilities
Deepened the Line of Sight and detection mechanics to give more utility to careful scouting and misdirection; pilot skill determines how much information you can get from a radar blip
Implemented the first version of the MechWarrior inspiration system, where continued aggression allows you to build and maintain momentum
Created a plot system which allows maps to reconfigure certain areas based on the encounter that uses them, swapping buildings and entire installations to increase reusability
Refined our map-making process for missions to the point that we can create now a final map (on the design side) in a single day
Made a bunch of neat maps of both the highlands/alpine and lowlands/farm variety
Began constructing many cool enemy encounters to place on said maps.
Tuned the bonuses and penalties from environmental features like forest and high ground to emphasize the role of terrain and positioning
Played a lot of BlazeRush at lunch
Added "Influence Map" system to allow the AI to select intelligent positions and orientations to move to
Increased sophistication of choosing weapons for AI attacks
Configurable AI Heat Management, with tactical withdrawals
AI “personality” support
"Corridor Map" strategic (long range) pathfinding for AI units
Lots of work on weapon visual effects, including lighting effects
Lots of new audio effects
Added heat visual effects for ‘Mechs and environmental features
Added an audio emote system, greatly increasing and prioritizing the list of things MechWarriors could talk about in combat
Massive load time performance improvements
Lots of improvements to overall environment art process to allow for more polish control
Created new road system with several custom art presets to quickly lay out dirt tracks, asphalt roads, and even rivers
Fully revamped rendering with proper physically based rendering and atmospherics
Fog of war improvements, including the ability to coordinate visual effects with mood
Developed a system for mission “moods” which change the atmosphere, lighting, and colors
Set up a proper wind system with better visual results
Made our first pass at water with shallow and deep water effects
Built out a huge set of “environment stamps” for us to quickly create map landscapes
Major improvements to procedural placement of foliage and ground texturing
Revamped and improved environment surface rendering and visuals
Finalized a complete process for creating destructible buildings
Made lots of new buildings and structures
Created two full new “biomes” with distinct geology and vegetation sets
Made lots of small decoration elements like barriers, light poles, decorative vehicles, etc.
Made lots of new trees, bushes and foliage
Made lots of new rocks (Yay rocks!)
Tons of work on animations and ‘Mech functionality
Lots of new ‘Mechs fully animated, textured, and working in-game
Completed an opening cinema for the game. (No, you can’t see it, yet. We’ll release it when the project is ready to get some “buzz”.)
Planned out the entire single-player story campaign, outlined all cutscenes and story events, wrote the opening and closing cutscene scripts.
Planned out the entire mercenary simulation game, and started implementing the infrastructure to support it
Built the first draft of the user experience for the mercenary simulation game
Built the initial skirmish mode interface, allowing you to choose your ‘Mechs, map, and encounter
Ran our first internal multiplayer games!!!
Fixed a metric poo poo-ton of bugs
And even more things that I’m sure we’re forgetting...
So what does all of this work add up to? In a word, “PROGRESS.” The team is focused, collaborating beautifully, and using their time very wisely. The passion for the work is obvious and we’re having fun making and playing the game. I’m pleased to report that the project reached an important milestone last week, as the team completed an Alpha version of the combat game and sent it out to friends and family for feedback. As mentioned in our last Kickstarter Update, this is a major step in preparing for our Kickstarter Backer Beta next year.

Now that the combat game has reached “Alpha” (note, just the combat game, not the campaign or multiplayer!) we’re rapidly expanding from that foundation, with development of the Mercenary sim-game, story campaign, cinematics, and multiplayer. And from a schedule POV, we’re tracking well towards our Kickstarter Backer Beta target. As a long time Producer and Executive Producer, I can tell you that this is one of the best managed games I’ve ever been a part of and that my overall confidence is quite high. Of course, that experience also tells me that poo poo happens and to expect the unexpected. I’m still not worried, though. The BATTLETECH team’s ability to “improvise, adapt, and overcome” is fantastic and I’m impressed by their ability to efficiently and unflinchingly attack any problem they encounter.

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CrazyLoon posted:

I think the amount of people involved come into play here. With hundreds of thousands of people involved you'll get a wide sampling of various reactions

Some will treat it like humanity's greatest error that we just couldn't support the world's most visionary game developer to make dreams reality
Some will pretend it never happened and try not to think about it
Some will have legendary meltdowns which is what we are waiting to see
Some will loudly rationalize the decision while trying to appear reasonable and addressing concerns while justifying the situation mostly to themselves
Some will not be able to let go and devote themselves to a fan community trying to purchase the assets or create their own MMO

The internet is pretty fun sometimes since this guy

would have suffocated on his own tongue or something even 100 years ago. But now society has let him and thousands of people like him build a gigantic sandcastle of childish dreams for the world to watch it get kicked over in real time.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

In defense of HBS (not that they need it), they have actually released several games in the last couple of years, unlike Clown Imperium Gunk.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I.N.R.I posted:

Actually, this antisemitism is starting to make me uncomfortable .. just because some jews have a well-documented and storied history of harvesting baby foreskins and sucking the babies off during their rituals doesn't mean that they all do

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whatever half cute gimmick you had is pointless now. You're pretty loving gross. I hope posting that gross poo poo made you feel good and your internet friends give you an e-high five, because you're a nasty person otherwise.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Slow_Moe posted:

This is a real quote from a real citizen, right?

Very likely imo, but not quite yet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgu7EaRCDBA&t=46s

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Very likely imo, but not quite yet

Oh well, quote development takes time, I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

would have suffocated on his own tongue or something even 100 years ago. But now society has let him and thousands of people like him build a gigantic sandcastle of childish dreams for the world to watch it get kicked over in real time.

People were stupid way back when too, it's just that the internet finally gave them a voice

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think the amount of people involved come into play here. With hundreds of thousands of people involved you'll get a wide sampling of various reactions

Some will treat it like humanity's greatest error that we just couldn't support the world's most visionary game developer to make dreams reality
Some will pretend it never happened and try not to think about it
Some will have legendary meltdowns which is what we are waiting to see
Some will loudly rationalize the decision while trying to appear reasonable and addressing concerns while justifying the situation mostly to themselves
Some will not be able to let go and devote themselves to a fan community trying to purchase the assets or create their own MMO

The internet is pretty fun sometimes since this guy

That name.. god drat. Its like he looked at some fetish drawing on deviant art and was like "the description of this abomination will totally make a great name and will add some real weight behind my speeches about videogames"

The letter is aug thread material.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmbo the guy who went to start his own Star Citizen leaks subreddit because he was sick of seeing Agent leaks realized "Oh gently caress there's not any actual content now that 2.6 is over" and shared the most recent Agent leaks. The circle is complete.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am very excited today

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

People were stupid way back when too, it's just that the internet finally gave them a voice

Yeah, I'm saying in less advanced times natural selection would probably have robbed us of this particular salt harvest. There hasn't really been this amount of people with infinite amounts of super-connected free time and disposable income to pay for someone to say "Yes" to their imaginations.

Dick Wolf would have had to go till fields to keep his siblings from starving and probably would have walked off a cliff or sold the family cow for magic beans and starved to death or something. Now he can dream up his perfect reality in front of the entire world.

DogonCrook posted:

That name.. god drat. Its like he looked at some fetish drawing on deviant art and was like "the description of this abomination will totally make a great name and will add some real weight behind my speeches about videogames"

The letter is aug thread material.

Fun Fact: He legally changed his name to Wulf Knight. I want to make sure everyone remembers that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

hello, some of this is prob rehashed

• 2017 is now looking like the last full operational year for CIG (*from the perspective of 2 people who recently left)
  • several office/staff moves (including the Brno move, disco lando, ben, etc) are still planned
  • roberts joked at one point "the cheap labor must flow"
  • the "must deliver" deadline is still march/q1 of 2017 for the sqlude
  • might be much less than what was planned to be released (think less than an hour of story content, highly repetitive missions to pad playtime, grind, etc)
  • sqlude will include the new footage shot earlier this year of hamill
  • direction/management are being shuffled around, some people with no experience are now in charge of dozens of employees
  • several employees and execs are now gone, including cashing out on promised bonuses or other monies when they left
  • motion capture problems include missing payments to studios where work was done (backend, most likely)
  • "If [we] didn't have money in the tank for refunds, delay. Delay, delay, delay. Promise, then delay. That was standard, yes."
  • had to cut one or several major characters from SQ42
  • additional mocap is required "to have the story make any sense" thanks to "constant" changes to the script
  • entire maps, levels, mocap, VA, music and SFX have been thrown out, reworked and thrown out again
  • what was promised for 2.6, especially networking, won't be in until late Jan/Feb 2017 at the earliest (maybe midyear)
  • 3.0 networking is a massive, complete mess and won't be anywhere ready for 2017
  • "They are walking the design back on a massive scale. Try and get a refund."
  • ^^ moma that one is for you because the guy who said it, lol, just lol
  • crunch time has continued now for over six months, some people over a year
if you're in this project for anything over $40, get a refund. get a refund like now. after 2.6 releases to the PU you're going to have a hard drat time getting anything back unless you pledged for the SQ42 package only

As much as they often surprise us with the depth of their incompetence, i think they can squirt a few more years of operation if they scale back and outsource more dev to 2nd world economy. The problem is cheap labor produce cheap game, something slightly at odd with the price tag they ask and the fidelity they want.

If the missing payments are true then this is the first sing of real financial problems. Snacks and Ben are brobably the next thing to go.

Delay for refunds are just basic industry practice. Its scummy but you should try to hold onto the money as long as possible.

I guess the loss was mainly female models.

Thank to the recent industry trend of short first player story mode, a single hour of story for a prelude (if its a good story) is not that bad. Many first player AAA story (TIF2, IW) are now roughly aroung 2.5 hours long.

looks like Croberts write, administer and direct the same way he does everything, without focus.

http://skinnyartist.com/9-warning-signs-of-an-amateur-artist/

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
http://kotaku.com/crytek-closes-five-studios-after-rough-year-1790315044
:rip:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh good now CIG can pick up more Crytek developers on the cheap :v:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

This is good news for Star Citizen because now a lot more Cryengine talent is ready to be picked up and put to work bringing Robert's masterpiece to life.

:sassargh: efb

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

aleksendr posted:

Thank to the recent industry trend of short first player story mode, a single hour of story for a prelude (if its a good story) is not that bad. Many first player AAA story (TIF2, IW) are now roughly aroung 2.5 hours long.

Although that's true, SQ42 is a single player story driven game where as IW and similar games are multiplayer with a single player campaign as a side dish. If you look at play time with a game like IW, 95% of time spent in game will be spent in multiplayer regardless of how much single player content you include.

Admittedly, it's just a prelude but I guarantee people will feel screwed over with a single hour of story and a bunch of filler because it's so obvious they're watering down their deliverables. It was meant to be that SQ42 was a single player campaign released to set the scene for the PU back in 2014. They've since had two more years to work on it and a poo poo load more funding, but the only visible differences appear to be a bunch of over paid and overblown Hollywood actors and the game itself being stretched out and watered down so much that it's basically transparent.

I mean seriously, at what rate are people meant to be expecting content for this game? 1 hour of story per year starting in 2017?

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016
Amazing new Star Marine footage shows off things never seen before in gaming such as 'physics grids' and 'Zero G FPS combat'.

It also looks like they fixed the AI, which is now superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv0I5jYHwkU

Oh hang on, that's the first UT game from seventeen years ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

I am very excited today

Got an invite to the PTU?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

THIS is the one thing they will all gravitate towards and believe to be the only reason.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder why they had studios in Ukraine, Turkey, Hungary, Germany, South Korea, China, and Bulgaria all at once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DapperDon posted:

THIS is the one thing they will all gravitate towards and believe to be the only reason.

Yep, a handful of goons were able to destroy something funded by [a supposedly] 1.5 million backers.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh. poo poo.

drat, son ! Looks like damage transfert is in !

Chalks posted:

I mean seriously, at what rate are people meant to be expecting content for this game? 1 hour of story per year starting in 2017?

If the Crobblers could scale down his vision they could easily do it like Hitman episodes. Release one every quater, 1 hour of story with 3-4 hour of mission. Every new content (ship, zone, profession, ect) debut in the SQ42 game as a kind of tutorial and then goes to PU once the next episode is released. You get to tease the players in the PU with the new ship they just enjoyed in the latest SQ42 mission (Buy now !) and instead of stupid demos and sizzle reels you are actually making usable assets for your game.

Skellybones posted:

I wonder why they had studios in Ukraine, Turkey, Hungary, Germany, South Korea, China, and Bulgaria all at once.

I would say licensing and tech support in the region major language. Easier to outsource to locals once enough people in that region use your product instead of trying to find turkish or russian speaking tech support where your main office is. Also in the case of China, if you dont have a corporate foothold there and pay some bribes you get royally hosed over any intellectual property right.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 20, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Got an invite to the PTU?

Just landed the contract to do branding and promo for a large music festival yay!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

As much as they often surprise us with the depth of their incompetence, i think they can squirt a few more years of operation if they scale back and outsource more dev to 2nd world economy. The problem is cheap labor produce cheap game, something slightly at odd with the price tag they ask and the fidelity they want.

2017 is the end, once the layoffs start the media will turn on them for real. The graphics are already starting to look dated, it's doubtful that are ever going to get above 24 players in an instance, 3.0 is pure dreams and if anything called SQ42 is released it's purely going to be an attempt to avoid jail imho and the reviews will not be kind.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

2017 is the end, once the layoffs start the media will turn on them for real. The graphics are already starting to look dated, it's doubtful that are ever going to get above 24 players in an instance, 3.0 is pure dreams and if anything called SQ42 is released it's purely going to be an attempt to avoid jail imho and the reviews will not be kind.

Dont be so hasty to declare swan song over them. They can still pump a few M$ out of the most fanatical cultists, as long as they dont release anything they wont get reviewed by main press and as for jail this is strictly white collar crimes so mostly fines and maybe a civil suit for a miserable ammount (most of the money is already gone in furniture, salary and mocap fees. If this goes tits up they probably have very little assets.)

The whole thing is starting to smell worse, but unless they get hit by something unforseen we have yet to see the end of Clown Stimperium.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Dont be so hasty to declare swan song over them. They can still pump a few M$ out of the most fanatical cultists, as long as they dont release anything they wont get reviewed by main press and as for jail this is strictly white collar crimes so mostly fines and maybe a civil suit for a miserable ammount (most of the money is already gone in furniture, salary and mocap fees. If this goes tits up they probably have very little assets.)

The whole thing is starting to smell worse, but unless they get hit by something unforseen we have yet to see the end of Clown Stimperium.

Nope, 2017 is the end I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It sickens me that the Mixmaster 5000 may never see the light of day.