Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bloodychill posted:

It could work. And the internet weirdo tears would be so plentiful and delicious.

quite an experience, to live in fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

blade runner is my second favorite movie and any remake or sequel would probably be bad but they wouldn't change how good blade runner is. also yeah make a snatcher movie

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
What's your favorite?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the good the bad and the ugly

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Blade Runner is my third favourite movie of all time. Ghostbusters is fourth.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sakurazuka posted:

Bladerunner remake where Deckard is played by a woman :unsmigghh:

That sounds great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

I like Once Upon A Time in the West better but that's a solid list

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

Solid pick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

blade runner is my second favorite movie and any remake or sequel would probably be bad but they wouldn't change how good blade runner is. also yeah make a snatcher movie

oddium posted:

You have great taste.

And yeah, I know a sequel won't actually change how good Bladerunner is on its own. I just don't look forward to nerds talking about how the sequel determines the "canon" ending of Bladerunner.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

It's my third, after Aliens and Alien.

After being profoundly disappointed in Prometheus I honestly can't bring myself to really care or get upset at a Blade Runner sequel which yeah is probably going to ruin a lot of the mystique of the original. I've already been down that road when it comes to Ridley Scott Sci-Fi sequels/prequels.

Also, happy Shantae day!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I don't think about favorite movies often but I'd have to put Alien and Road Warrior in the list and they are very much opposites on the sequel quality scale. Aliens was great but other than some iconic scenes, the sequels were all garbage. Meanwhile everything after Road Warrior was great and I might be convinced Fury Road was better.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fury Road is the best live-action film made this century

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've come to terms with Alien 3 and don't hate it nearly as much as I did as a child, but that franchise has always truly been only a two film set in my mind.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I watched Blade Runner for the first time earlier this year and honestly most of it went right over my head

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alien 3 would be a cult SF classic if it didn't have the Alien name and retroactively ruin the ending of Aliens. The direction and soundtrack are top notch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XpXUAUe-yE

Sakurazuka posted:

Alien 3 would be a cult SF classic if it didn't have the Alien name and retroactively ruin the ending of Aliens. The direction and soundtrack are top notch.

Having never seen any of the alien series, was alien 3 the one where it was like "btw those characters in the previous film died off screen" or was that something else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not exactly off screen but yes it killed all the characters that survived Aliens (not that there many mind you) apart from Ripley and made all the effort she went to pointless.

Alien 3 was an amazing production mess and started shooting without even a finished script, it's actually amazing that it wasn't an utter disaster in every respect.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

That's probably true. It's when you watch them in sequence that Alien 3 really suffers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also the entire premise as to why Alien 3 happens at all is a fairly big plot hole that is poorly explained/handwaved, if you can say it is at all.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Doesn't the girl die during hypersleep because of Alien infection?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

Explicitly no.

I guess Alien 3 is a pretty good example of a sequel that retcons the poo poo out of a previous movie and I don't care at all. Maybe I can take that attitude into BR'49.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sakurazuka posted:

Fincher's one of the best directors around, yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

From what I remember she dies during the crash landing caused by some facehuggers being on the ship somehow.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

From what I remember she dies during the crash landing caused by some facehuggers being on the ship somehow.

I don't remember if the whole ship crashes. The cryosleep section is ejected. It's not out of the question that an alien actually hatched out of Hicks before the crash and ejected the pod, or damaged the ship and caused the pod to eject.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The facehuggers loving about causes a fire that gets the cryo section ejected as a life raft yeah, but I'm almost certain the opening sequence shows one emerge from an egg that's impossible to be there. However it's been a while and I could be remembering wrong.

E: yup it shows an empty egg for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhT4JbWscwI

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFwQBGL6pIc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Explicitly no.

I guess Alien 3 is a pretty good example of a sequel that retcons the poo poo out of a previous movie and I don't care at all. Maybe I can take that attitude into BR'49.

Is there an indication that Blade Runner 2049 is going to retcon things from Blade Runner? Or is this a "just in case" thing?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Is there an indication that Blade Runner 2049 is going to retcon things from Blade Runner? Or is this a "just in case" thing?

The original ending is lighter, which would be appealing to movie execs, but its also not the one most people are familiar with so its kind of a toss up.

Tbh I kinda hope Drive 2049 bombs at release but then becomes a cult hit years later when the director's cut comes out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FirstAidKite posted:

Having never seen any of the alien series, was alien 3 the one where it was like "btw those characters in the previous film died off screen" or was that something else
You should watch Alien and Aliens, I am not a horror fan in the slightest but they are immensely enjoyable films. The first mostly because the atmosphere and art direction are off the charts and the second because it's in my mind the perfect action movie.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I watched Blade Runner for the first time earlier this year and honestly most of it went right over my head

It's not very complicated. What about it confused you?

Harrison Ford is a blade runner, a guy who hunts down rogue androids called replicants who violate their programmed directives. He's pulled in for a job to hunt four very dangerous replicants that are miners and military droids (iirc). As he does so he begins to fall in love with a woman, who turns out to be a replicant herself. He eventually kills them all except Rutger Hauer, their leader, who plays a violent game of cat-and-mouse with him in a derelict apartment building. Given the opportunity to kill Ford, Hauer saves his life in a demonstration of his mercy and humanity, then dies of natural causes (bc the replicants all have programmed obsolescence dates). Ford experiences a profound change of heart and goes on the run with the replicant he fell for, whose date is unknown, and who may die at any moment. Thematically, it's about transhumanist principles and mortality.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I feel like Harrison Ford's character living for decades after the end of the first film is potentially a pretty big issue. They're either going to establish that he's not a replicant, or he's a special replicant. Either way I feel like there's gonna be a lot of explaining where none was needed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

Harrison Ford is a blade runner, a guy who hunts down rogue androids called replicants who violate their programmed directives. He's pulled in for a job to hunt four very dangerous replicants that are miners and military droids (iirc). As he does so he begins to fall in love with a woman, who turns out to be a replicant herself. He eventually kills them all except Rutger Hauer, their leader, who plays a violent game of cat-and-mouse with him in a derelict apartment building. Given the opportunity to kill Ford, Hauer saves his life in a demonstration of his mercy and humanity, then dies of natural causes (bc the replicants all have programmed obsolescence dates). Ford experiences a profound change of heart and goes on the run with the replicant he fell for, whose date is unknown, and who may die at any moment. Thematically, it's about transhumanist principles and mortality.

Actually it's about ethics in police procedure.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

there's way more to the movie than just the dry plot beats

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't watch the special editions first time though, Alien doesn't add much apart from a famous deleted scene that contradicts stuff set up in later films and Aliens is just too long though it adds a few interesting scenes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The facehuggers loving about causes a fire that gets the cryo section ejected as a life raft yeah, but I'm almost certain the opening sequence shows one emerge from an egg that's impossible to be there. However it's been a while and I could be remembering wrong.

E: yup it shows an empty egg for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhT4JbWscwI

Yeah, but why is it impossible for the egg to be there? One stowaway carrying an egg is all it takes.

But yeah, logistically it is kind of tricky. Like I said, it's a retcon I don't have any problem with, because it's a very solid "well what if this happened" way to continue the story, and showing the egg is good storytelling shorthand to start the movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't watch the special editions first time though, Alien doesn't add much apart from a famous deleted scene that contradicts stuff set up in later films and Aliens is just too long though it adds a few interesting scenes.
Yeah I'm a firm believer in the Aliens Theatrical Cut. There are obviously a handful of new scenes that are neat but ultimately there are just too many that also mess with the pacing and in some cases ruin some of the suspense/atmosphere.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Like I get the basic plot of Blade Runner but I had a harder time with the abstract symbolism (like the unicorn for instance)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a real shame the Aliens extended cut went with the Lord of the Rings philosophy of "put literally every deleted scene back in the movie". Some of the added scenes are really good, and some are terrible and pointless. It would be nice if there was a good extended cut...

Edit: ^ it's not really that deep. Bladerunner, is, in my opinion, a very visceral and emotional movie, not an overly intellectual one.

Which version of Bladerunner did you watch?

Edit: I guess "not that deep" is the wrong phase. There is emotional depth there, but its not some complicated thing you have to figure out. My advice, if you want to "get it" better, is watch it more times.

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I can't even remember, I wanna say the original but it's hard to tell

• Locked thread