Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

But that was the entire point of this movie? Like, if you don't like it because that's just not your thing I can totally understand that, but if it doesn't add to the story then what do you think the story was?

When I said 'the story' I meant the big story of Star Wars that's about tragic heroes, romance, religion and societies being moved all at once. While thinking of what to write up to explain what I'm thinking, I do see how Rogue One tries to touch on those things, but I think it wasn't really successful at it and ultimately I like my Star Wars to be using the epic sweeping scope of the main movies, even like Force Awakens, even if I wasn't much into the direction that movie looks to be taking the series.

If I want to see something real and grounded feeling about the small people involved in war and revolution, I don't need it to be a Star Wars movie. I didn't think that it would have been a good movie if you took it out of the Star Wars setting, but I also don't think it changed or deepened any of my interest or understanding of the six Star Wars movies that I do enjoy.

Edit:
Would any of us even be talking if this was Fury (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film) , which I couldn't even remember the name of and had to search for 'Brad Pitt tank movie' to find). It seems to be roughly similar in some ways to Rogue One, not that me or anyone else in the world actually saw it to be sure.

Edit edit:
Is this the Rotten Tomatoes 'consensus' for Fury or Rogue One: "Overall, $Movie is a well-acted, suitably raw depiction of the horrors of war that offers visceral battle scenes but doesn't quite live up to its larger ambitions."

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not that the scenes are unnecessary, it's that they didn't work and so didn't add much. Take Saw; he's nominally a revolutionary too extreme for the Alliance, but nothing he does seems any worse than Cassian shooting his informant in the back or being ordered to kill Galen. The idea of someone going to more and more extreme lengths and losing their humanity (physically and morally) in pursuit of justice is fine, but the execution was a real let down and made his scenes feel like a bit of a waste.

His people started a firefight in the middle of a crowded city street, almost killing at least one child because they needed to save some crystals.

Cassian being ordered to shoot Galen is done on the sly, my dude, and without the backing of Mon Mothma, implying that the general Rebel leadership would not have approved.

PostNouveau posted:

I liked the space fights.

I think if you really needed to get the gently caress out of somewhere though, and you had a warp engine, you could just gun it in whatever direction. I mean space is like 99.99999999% empty. The rebels really shoulda just punched it out of there as soon as they had the plans rather than being all like "ohhhh gotta prepare for the jump and sit around for 5 minutes oh no vader is here!"

Gotta plug in co-ordinates or you might run into a star or planet, something said as far back as ANH, and reiterated in R1 itself when they're escaping Jedda.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Star Wars space is unlike real space. Hyperspace even more so.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm pretty sure most people complaining about "character development" and "relationships" and character "arcs" is just an attempt to sound smart. Like whats the go-to thing if you want to sound smart about a film - just start banging on about characters this and characters that, like we get it guys, you know about how there are characters in movies.

No, when I'm trying to sound smart I just say "ultimately" a lot and go through my post and replace random words with synonyms from a thesaurus. That's the secret.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Edit:
Would any of us even be talking if this was Fury (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film) , which I couldn't even remember the name of and had to search for 'Brad Pitt tank movie' to find). It seems to be roughly similar in some ways to Rogue One, not that me or anyone else in the world actually saw it to be sure.

I don't lurk in CineD as often as I used to but Ayer had a decent following here even pre-Suicide Squad. So this probably isn't the best example.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ, if this had been Fury but Star Wars it would have been incredible. Fury was fantastic, and I'm not even a big fan of WW2 movies. If you haven't seen it, you should then compare it to this one if that's what they were going for.

Also lol at saying people only complain about characters to sound smart. That takes a certain kind of stupidity. Great job!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shiroc posted:

When I said 'the story' I meant the big story of Star Wars that's about tragic heroes, romance, religion and societies being moved all at once. While thinking of what to write up to explain what I'm thinking, I do see how Rogue One tries to touch on those things, but I think it wasn't really successful at it and ultimately I like my Star Wars to be using the epic sweeping scope of the main movies, even like Force Awakens, even if I wasn't much into the direction that movie looks to be taking the series.

If I want to see something real and grounded feeling about the small people involved in war and revolution, I don't need it to be a Star Wars movie. I didn't think that it would have been a good movie if you took it out of the Star Wars setting, but I also don't think it changed or deepened any of my interest or understanding of the six Star Wars movies that I do enjoy.

But R1 didn't even try to touch on those things at all? It wasn't a movie about tragic heroes, romance, religion, or societal shifting. It was fundamentally a movie about what happens to people who aren't privileged enough that those are the problems they deal with and how they react to what the big people are doing. You're basically putting up a bunch of words about how this movie just wasn't your thing, which I already said I can totally understand.

I haven't seen Fury, so I'm not gonna make comparisons, so I guess you can win this round by default. Congratulations.

Alan_Shore posted:

Also lol at saying people only complain about characters to sound smart. That takes a certain kind of stupidity. Great job!

I didn't say they're only complaining about characters to sound smart. I said I don't think they know what character development means because they're conflating it with "has a character arc" which is a different thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 20, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't say they're only complaining about characters to sound smart. I said I don't think they know what character development means because they're conflating it with "has a character arc" which is a different thing.

Think he was responding to Wandle Cax.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ungulateman posted:

"luke, i am your father"

"hi am your father, i'm luke"

I know this is from a few pages back but goddamn it annoys me that this would probably be a joke in the movie if ESB was made today.

Or maybe something like "Oh really? You are? Wow.so where's all those birthday presents you owe me?"

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Shiroc posted:

I knew about all of the old concepts for Darth Vader's lava castle, but I thought the execution was just silly. That's a setting for a life and death duel for the soul of the galaxy, not a place to have a nobody complain to his boss. Vader in the movie would have had more impact if he only appeared at the end. The Rogue One scrubs finally did something important enough for Vader to take notice from whatever other things he was doing.

This is not the fault of Rogue One (which I liked), but the characterization of Vader changed somewhat from his first appearance in Star Wars, through the various sequels, and now this film.

In the first film - "A New Hope", if you must - he was almost background character within the Imperial infrastructure. He seemed more like the Emperor's enforcer, a shadowy figure who might have been only loosely connected to the Imperial authority. Note that we saw Imperial officers mocking him for his belief in the force, and Tarkin seemed to outrank him. It was only after Star Wars became a huge success, and Darth Vader became an iconic movie villain, that he seemed to get more authority within the Empire, as well as his own Star Destroyer, and more.

I'm not saying this is a plot hole or anything. It's believable that after the Senate is dissolved, and open war begins with the Rebels, that Vader took on a stronger role and got more authority. But I always liked that earlier, more mysterious "enforcer Vader".

In Rogue One he seems to be giving orders to Tarkin (rather than the other way around), he has his own lava-planet castle, and his own Imperial Guard. This does not contradict anything that came later, but I think it would have been cool if he just showed up at the end of the movie as this force of nature, rather than being someone who middle management has a meeting with to complain when they feel they are not getting enough credit for their superweapon...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It would've been fun if people had mentioned him repeatedly throughout the movie and then he showed up only at the end.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Shiroc posted:

I don't think we'll really disagree on this point (just in whether it worked), but yeah, Rogue One is not that kind of movie. The saga is about big, sweeping events that affect a galaxy; R1 is about the little people who fall through the cracks of history but help make that story possible. One of the reasons I like it is because it is doing something different from the rest of Star Wars, despite having all the outer trappings of the OT. I know this won't happen because the EU loves its references, but it would be cool and thematically appropriate if no one ever remembers the names of Jyn, Cassian, etc. As far as history's concerned they're just the unnamed Rebel spies from the ANH opening crawl; what they did and what that meant for everyone else is what's important.

Which is also why I think "this movie would be worse if it weren't Star Wars" is an odd complaint. It's like the argument that Memento wouldn't be as good in chronological order; whether it is or not, that's not the movie we have. R1 was made, and exists, very firmly within the framework of Star Wars; not just in a canon sense of Dr. Evazan cameos and blue milk, but thematically as I mentioned above. Removing the Star Wars setting would make it an entirely different movie.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Whatever thr flaws of this movie, I like how much ground r1 opens up for future films and the fact they got to do a everyone dies desperation star wars makes me hopeful for the other standalone going further off piste in a way the marvel films should have but never really did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to down the road when all of the more obvious ideas have been done(Death Star plans movie, Young Han Solo, Boba Fett) and maybe they'll get into some more unconnected stories that just happen to take place in the Star Wars universe. I'd like to see them come up with a new story and a cast of characters that inhabit the world of Star Wars but aren't directly involved with the whole Republic vs. Empire conflict.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I'm looking forward to down the road when all of the more obvious ideas have been done(Death Star plans movie, Young Han Solo, Boba Fett) and maybe they'll get into some more unconnected stories that just happen to take place in the Star Wars universe. I'd like to see them come up with a new story and a cast of characters that inhabit the world of Star Wars but aren't directly involved with the whole Republic vs. Empire conflict.

This for sure.

Although I'd still like to see a Boba Fett horror movie where he hunts down a bunch of bounties that he's lured into one place. It's like a slasher flick but Disney approved because he disintegrates them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I just want to bring this up from a couple pages back, because I want to point out why Jyn grieving over her father's death on-screen doesn't carry any emotional impact or weight for me personally when compared to Luke's on-screen reaction when Beru and Owen died. We don't know Galen at all, and we don't really know Jyn. Their lack of character development is severely detrimental to the scene in question, which made me not really care about this scene that's supposed to be poignant. It's same reason I didn't care that Saw was so willing to accept his fate on Jedha; him tearing off his breathing apparatus in defiance of death meant nothing to me because he's a character I don't have a stake in. It's drama with no real depth.

In contrast, there are a handful of character moments with Owen and Beru in A New Hope where we get to know them. We see their relationship with Luke during several scenes, and as such, I could empathize with Luke when he realizes they're in danger. Once he arrives back at the homestead and sees their charred corpses, I could feel the weight of his emotions bearing down on him through his body language. I couldn't do that with Jyn, despite actually seeing her physically grieve over her father in the rain.

See, I feel the opposite. I never cared about Owen and Beru as a kid because Luke never really does. They were more of an obstacle to him getting off of the planet than anything he ever really showed a reaction to (and them dying offscreen lessens the connection to the characters you saw before).

The progression in ANH was:

Luke wants to get off of the planet
Owen holds him back
Droids and stuff, Obi Wan asks Luke to leave the planet
Luke says no because of his aunt and uncle
Aunt and uncle die offscreen
Luke looks slightly plussed for a second, then says, "okay, I'm going to leave the planet and become a Jedi"
Luke does not call back to his aunt and uncle dying ever again

Even as a kid, if Luke doesn't care, I don't care, since he's the audience relation character.

On the flip side, the last confrontation in R1 calls back to her father dying. It's a thread that keeps going through the entire movie and is an actual motivation for the character. So I care more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

This for sure.

Although I'd still like to see a Boba Fett horror movie where he hunts down a bunch of bounties that he's lured into one place. It's like a slasher flick but Disney approved because he disintegrates them.

I think you're getting confused. Boba Fett is the joke character who gets killed by a blind man in RotJ.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Darko posted:

See, I feel the opposite. I never cared about Owen and Beru as a kid because Luke never really does. They were more of an obstacle to him getting off of the planet than anything he ever really showed a reaction to (and them dying offscreen lessens the connection to the characters you saw before).

The progression in ANH was:

Luke wants to get off of the planet
Owen holds him back
Droids and stuff, Obi Wan asks Luke to leave the planet
Luke says no because of his aunt and uncle
Aunt and uncle die offscreen
Luke looks slightly plussed for a second, then says, "okay, I'm going to leave the planet and become a Jedi"
Luke does not call back to his aunt and uncle dying ever again

Even as a kid, if Luke doesn't care, I don't care, since he's the audience relation character.

On the flip side, the last confrontation in R1 calls back to her father dying. It's a thread that keeps going through the entire movie and is an actual motivation for the character. So I care more.

(I'm being completely genuine in saying this, I don't mean it as snark)

This thread is deeply fascinating for many reasons, chief amongst them being because it's constantly exposing me to opinions I never thought I'd hear, like this one. After leaving Rogue One the absolute last thing I ever thought I'd ever hear anyone say is "Jin is a more interesting character than Luke Skywalker"

sassassin posted:

I think you're getting confused. Boba Fett is the joke character who gets killed by a blind man in RotJ.

I loved how Jango encompasses the fanboy take on Boba by being "SO BADASS" that he sires an entire army, only he gets completely and humiliating chumped just like his son. I always saw Jango as (rightly) making fun of Boba Fett fanboys and it's incredible

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

You know this. I know this. My dad knows this.

But the majority of Star Wars fans think of him as this huge badass for no reason. I guess a combination of looking cool, being talked up as scary, and a bunch of old EU comics and stuff?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Waffles Inc. posted:

I loved how Jango encompasses the fanboy take on Boba by being "SO BADASS" that he sires an entire army, only he gets completely and humiliating chumped just like his son. I always saw Jango as (rightly) making fun of Boba Fett fanboys and it's incredible
Jango actually does poo poo, though, like beat Obi-Wan to a standstill twice. Boba stakes out a garbage dump and follows a half-working beater.

e: Also let's not forget his sick bass.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Jango actually does poo poo, though, like beat Obi-Wan to a standstill twice. Boba stakes out a garbage dump and follows a half-working beater.

Jango actually clowns Obi-Wan with Boba's help. The second time in that movie that Kenobi is beaten by a child lol

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Serf posted:

Jango actually clowns Obi-Wan with Boba's help. The second time in that movie that Kenobi is beaten by a child lol
What was the first time?

Also I forgot about that, which means Boba accomplishes more in the movies as a kid than as a theoretically badass armored bounty hunter.

e: Oh, right, the padawan when he's talking to Yoda.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

What was the first time?

Also I forgot about that, which means Boba accomplishes more in the movies as a kid than as a theoretically badass armored bounty hunter.

When the kid drops some knowledge on Obi-Wan about the whole "missing planet" thing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, I think that's pretty funny. He's more accomplished up until the point he decides to be like his dad. When we're introduced to him as an adult he's hanging around as part of an entourage of a crime lord and then Vader admonishes him for what must've been a prior gently caress-up and then he gets killed by a blind guy flailing a stick around

Times got tough for poor ol' Boba, too bad his dad cursed him with a longer life than his brothers

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I knew about all of the old concepts for Darth Vader's lava castle, but I thought the execution was just silly. That's a setting for a life and death duel for the soul of the galaxy, not a place to have a nobody complain to his boss.

Having a subordinate come to you is a total power move, especially if its way out in the middle of nowhere.

"Can we holo-conference later?"
"Nah, come down to the lava castle. 4 o'clock works for me."
"Uhhhh, I-
"Great, see you then."

*hangs up space phone*
*goes back to reading stock reports in space newspaper*

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

Having a subordinate come to you is a total power move, especially if its way out in the middle of nowhere.

"Can we holo-conference later?"
"Nah, come down to the lava castle. 4 o'clock works for me."
"Uhhhh, I-
"Great, see you then."

*hangs up space phone*

Vader's castle was pretty cool I thought--a small speck of something that could have been interesting had they stayed there for more than 90 seconds. And yeah I thought it was funny that Krennic was probably there about as long as we see him there in "real time"

Like with every scene with Saw, it would've been way cooler had we seen more of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cash Monet posted:

*hangs up space phone*

I like the idea of Vader's meditation chamber unsealing, cracking open like some bizarre mechanical egg, and the sound of "Mad Money" with Jim Cramer comes booming out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
These films have had way too many planets/settings in general.

In ANH we had Tatooine, Death Star, Yavin.

ESB had Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City.

ROJ had Tatooine, Endor, Death Star, with a brief jaunt back to Dagobah.

Generally speaking, these settings aligned with the films' act structure.

Rogue One had...Galen Erso's farming planet, the asteroid base where Captain Whatever kills that guy, Jedha, the Death Star, the Research Facility, Lava Planet, Yavin, Scarif. As a result, the settings have very little character of their own.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

These films have had way too many planets/settings in general.

Rogue One had...Galen Erso's farming planet, the asteroid base where Captain Whatever kills that guy, Jedha, the Death Star, the Research Facility, Lava Planet, Yavin, Scarif. As a result, the settings have very little character of their own.

Now you're just making stuff up - each planet had a very distinct and very deliberate atmosphere and feel.

...and that's when I noticed your name. Goddammit, I fell into that trap.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I agree that it was different from the other movies (the most comparable thing I can think of is actually a James Bond movie, with a lot of exotic locations and a few major ones), but I very much disagree that it was a negative or that the settings didn't have character. Star Wars should feel big and expansive and novel, and lots of worlds (and mostly new worlds) helps make that universe seem bigger and grander, even when it's just a short segment like Vader's lava castle. And the design of each of the worlds was distinctive enough - in appearance, lighting, role in the plot - that even brief appearances (again, like the lava castle) stood out for me. Like, the fact that you can even list worlds with a single scene like the asteroid base tells me they did something to make it memorable.

It's all subjective, so I'm not trying to discount your opinion, just offering an alternate one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Except for The Force Awakens, the number of planets per Star War tends to increase.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I didn't follow a ton of pre-release info about the movie, and so going in I halfway thought/halfway expected it to be a complete and total heist movie and a lot of the running time would be a grand tour of exotic locales while putting together a crack team to steal some plans, so the planet hopping was pretty cool I thought, but I wish there was more of it or that the locations were more exotic

Yet again we got not-Tatooine, and then a beachier Naboo

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Initial Rogue One thoughts: I cannot remember the name of a single character in the entire drat movie. This should probably say something.

Visually, though, utterly spectacular.

While I could type for a while, my review will be summed up as 'Halo Reach: The Movie'

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hot tip for trueley hard core starwar fans, if you google the name of the tentacle monster the second result is Hux/Ren slash.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm bothered by Jyn's pearls. Her mother gives them to her, says they'll keep her safe. Blind Guy comments on the pearls. Then they are forgotten for the rest of the film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm bothered by Jyn's pearls. Her mother gives them to her, says they'll keep her safe. Blind Guy comments on the pearls. Then they are forgotten for the rest of the film.

It's a Kyber Crystal she's given, not pearls. That said, yeah, they drop the "it powers a Jedi's lightsaber and also the Death Star" thing and then it ends up being just meaningless fluff really.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's a Kyber Crystal she's given, not pearls. That said, yeah, they drop the "it powers a Jedi's lightsaber and also the Death Star" thing and then it ends up being just meaningless fluff really.

Given that the mechanism behind the Death Star firing and what powers lightsabers was never mentioned before in the movies, it's fascinating that we've now got a direct connection

The Jedi weapons and the Death Star are powered by the same source. Alderaan was destroyed with a lightsaber.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Given that the mechanism behind the Death Star firing and what powers lightsabers was never mentioned before in the movies, it's fascinating that we've now got a direct connection

The Jedi weapons and the Death Star are powered by the same source. Alderaan was destroyed with a lightsaber.

Fun fact: The Darksaber project mentioned when they're going through the Big Ol' USB Drive Of Evil is actually a Death Star shaped like a giant lightsaber.

Such is the way of the Star Wars EU.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Slight correction, it's just the GUN of the Death Star, shaped like a lightsaber, they specifically mention in the book somewhere that they just need the gun part, not the whole spacestation bit :v:

Although i did kinda like how they shoot the Death Star not at full power, showing that even if you don't need to blow up the whole drat planet, it's still a scary piece of tech that'll wreck your day with the force of a drat nuke going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The principal heroes in this movie lack both development and compelling character arcs. The second would not necessarily be a problem is the first was not also a problem, but what we get are thin characters who race around to hit their marks in time to keep the plot moving.

It's okay though, this is apparently on purpose because this is a movie about little (boring) people and not important (interesting) people, so it's fine that they're almost completely hollow.

It's not like this is a made up complaint that only shows up on here, it's a common theme in the professional reviews of the movie:

"But it also ensures that "Rogue One" fails to define its liveliest characters in ways that would make them pop..."Rogue One" is so devoted to its multilayered, fast-moving plot that it can't afford to give its characters the breathing space they need..." - Roger Ebert

"Is that an awful lot of new characters to keep track of? Yes it is, and Rogue One largely fails to establish them as distinct and three-dimensional. Jones and Luna are both intriguing in the principal roles, but their backstories are scant, and the central relationship between the two is never adequately developed, a shortcoming that becomes more significant as the film cycles toward its somewhat surprising conclusion....The movie’s relatively shallow characterizations are in part a byproduct of the overall pace of the script" - Chris Orr, the Atlantic

And these are overall positive or mixed reviews. Even people who like it think it does a poor job of drawing these characters or convincing people that they should care what happens to them, beyond just a general sense of human empathy.

• Locked thread