Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jordan7hm posted:

Haha what did you do to bradharding to get him so mad.

Recently? Asked him on twitter why he was encrypting status files in DoomRetro, which resulted in him blocking be. I made a live-stream a long time ago trying out DoomRetro and was unimpressed with it at the time (when it was nothing more than a Chocolate Doom port with some values changed and the colour washed out by default for some reason), but I can't imagine somebody holding a grudge for that long.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Aaronicon posted:

The developers of ZDoom are also pretty hostile to work with from what I've heard. They'd reject split screen entirely on the basis of being un-Doomy and go back to working on recreating decorate in doomscript or whatever it is.
lol where did you hear that from?

It would get rejected though just like the countless other times it's been proposed. The amount of effort is insane for something only a handful of people would ever use. I admit I don't get the point of it either; why can't people use two computers?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

* poor people
* children
* people without reliable access to a network

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

party doom on a big rear end tv

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

david_a posted:

It would get rejected though just like the countless other times it's been proposed. The amount of effort is insane for something only a handful of people would ever use. I admit I don't get the point of it either; why can't people use two computers?

It's very friendly of the nightmare fuel station attendant in that second example link to start off with "no, shut the gently caress up, get off my forum." That is some tact right there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

This is literally exactly why I want the feature fwiw

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have no friends and literally don't understand the point of local coop.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I make doom source ports

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Touchfuzzy posted:

It's very friendly of the nightmare fuel station attendant in that second example link to start off with "no, shut the gently caress up, get off my forum." That is some tact right there.
That's not a developer though, just an overly "enthusiastic" forum goer.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
For all the crazy stuff people have done with Doom modding, split-screen seems like a no-brainer. It is also very funny hearing people go "gee why would anyone ever want split-screen?"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Get an Xbox 360/Xbox One and 360 Doom then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNqnewAIbDY

Gobblecoque posted:

For all the crazy stuff people have done with Doom modding, split-screen seems like a no-brainer. It is also very funny hearing people go "gee why would anyone ever want split-screen?"

It's not very fun when only one person can use mouse+keyboard and the rest have to be keyboard only/controller only

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is literally exactly why I want the feature fwiw

Pretty much my reason for chucking it in Eternity/other future games that hopefully get announced soon. It's just simply a faster and more accessible form of multiplayer. You can't replace it.

fishmech posted:

Get an Xbox 360/Xbox One and 360 Doom then:

Or grab Eternity. ;)

fishmech posted:

It's not very fun when only one person can use mouse+keyboard and the rest have to be keyboard only/controller only

Then simply have all players use controllers. Solves itself.
Or be like me and rocket jump over your foes with a controller; being on a controller vs K&M doesn't mean you can't compete.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Wow apparently asking for split screen really got PROJECT DARK FOX hot under the collar. "Shut the gently caress up" indeed. I hope he's doing better these days.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Four-player split-screen Reelism would be tight as hell. Or Project MSX, or Demonsteele, or poo poo even Brutal Doom.

I get that those are all GZDoom mods but honestly having it in ZDoom would be the first step toward that.

fishmech posted:

Who says this would be the primary use case? Let everyone use a controller.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

uncleKitchener posted:

What sort of money can you make with something that is almost two decades old with old dated horror references?

Not a whole lot, but the rights to Blood are split between Warner Bros. and the withered husk of Atari which exists solely to hoard and exploit IP to the exclusion of all else and they (Atari) would rather do nothing and make no money than cut a reasonable deal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

The developers of ZDoom are also pretty hostile to work with from what I've heard. They'd reject split screen entirely on the basis of being un-Doomy and go back to working on recreating decorate in doomscript or whatever it is.
The primary developer of ZDoom these days doesn't have a fantastic bedside manner, to be sure. He's somewhat softened up over the past year though, working directly with the Blade of Agony and D4D folks and warning Sgt. Mark of a bugfix that could potentially break Brutal Doom some 6+ months in advance of a stable release. He didn't listen.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Wow apparently asking for split screen really got PROJECT DARK FOX hot under the collar. "Shut the gently caress up" indeed. I hope he's doing better these days.
PDF... lives a stressful life. I think he's doing a little better nowadays?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Four-player split-screen Reelism would be tight as hell.
It'd probably also run at about half a frame a second, because those maps (especially Gutrot) are as unoptimized as fuuuuuck when you're rendering them from one camera. :v:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
ECWolf doesn't run on my computer, so I tried Wolfendoom and Brutal Wolfenstein since those run on GZDoom.

Wolfdoom is pretty well done, accurate while improving upon the game in some slight ways. But instead of a score counter it's just the precentage of items collected, which is a shame.

Also it adds nothing to the formula, which is fine I guess. But if you're going to be that straightforward of a port then I'd rather just play the real thing for the nostalgia.

Brutal Wolfenstein is uh, well. I like that they added new items and enemies and implemented them in the old maps. Everything else about it is annoying and lovely: you have to reload, you need to use iron sights to be more accurate, enemies react faster and since they're all hitscan it means you get shot up a whole lot.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 20, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aaronicon posted:

If somebody were to make a working pull request of splitscreen for ZDoom, here would be the developer reactions:
* randi: long silence. crickets chirp faintly in the distance. eventually a tumbleweed rolls through.
* Graf Zahl: says he'll review it when he has time. Doesn't have time.
* Blzut3: notice some minor issue and says he'll get back to it, but gets absorbed by ECWolf/Zandronum/Doomseeker in the meanwhile.

Mutant Standard posted:

ECWolf doesn't run on my computer, so I tried Wolfendoom and Brutal Wolfenstein since those run on GZDoom.

Get AFADoomer's TC.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I get the debate about KB+M vs controller for things like CS:GO, but when you're referring to the original Doom, the control schemes for controllers nowadays are just as good as KB+M. Up your sensitivity and get good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Fun fact, the Xbox/XBLA/BFG Doom port does splitscreen by first moving every global variable into a master class container, and then creating up to 4 different objects of that class for each instance, then uses the actual network backend to route input between each instance. You are actually simulating 4 different Doom sessions at once.

I own both XBLA versions of Doom and Doom 2 and BFG edition ones (DVD) on my 360 and all run perfectly in split screen. It's weird that they had to simulate 4 sessions at once but really cool as a "hack" to make it work.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I get the debate about KB+M vs controller for things like CS:GO, but when you're referring to the original Doom, the control schemes for controllers nowadays are just as good as KB+M. Up your sensitivity and get good.

As someone that played old CS versions a lot (since 5.2 beta) and a bit of CS:GO, I can tell you that playing it on my 360 sucks balls. I got it because a few friends wanted to play private matches and between the hassle of buying equipment with a lovely wheel, lack of buttons for all the poo poo you have to do in CS:GO and the weird recoil/spread mechanics of the game compared to lets say CoD or Battlefield makes it a chore. The only good thing on the console port is that they made controls completely customizable like on PC not just lovely presets so you could at least tune the layout to something playable.

At the other hand I've played CoD and BF games on console and while I prefer KB+M by a long shot, I can live with a controller since the games has simpler control mechanics. I've used a 360 controller on my PC to pilot helicopters and it was definately better for me than trying to pilot with KB+M. Driving is better due how analog turning gives you more precision than tapping with keyboard.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 20, 2016

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Finally managed to sit down with Daikatana 1.3 and I don't know if it's the placebo effect of applying a patch to a game in general or not, but I'm finding it more fun and tolerable to play. Ep2 and 3 are still good and 1 and 4 are still hard. I still love this dumb game.

Also, what source ports do people use for Quake?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not a whole lot, but the rights to Blood are split between Warner Bros. and the withered husk of Atari which exists solely to hoard and exploit IP to the exclusion of all else and they (Atari) would rather do nothing and make no money than cut a reasonable deal.

I don't expect these rights to stay that way for a long time. Eventually, someone in Atari has to naturally expire or the company has to go down the tubes, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You can say that all you want, if you do deathmatch on controller versus one guy who gets to use mouse and keyboard, you're not going to have a great time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

You can say that all you want, if you do deathmatch on controller versus one guy who gets to use mouse and keyboard, you're not going to have a great time.

Your insistence that splitscreen multiplayer for Doom wouldn't be fun is based around one specific control configuration for one specific gametype. You're about as wrong on this subject as you were on the election.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, what source ports do people use for Quake?
Quakespasm for singleplayer, ezQuake for multiplayer, DarkPlaces for :pcgaming: GRAPHICS :pcgaming:

uncleKitchener posted:

I don't expect these rights to stay that way for a long time. Eventually, someone in Atari has to naturally expire or the company has to go down the tubes, right?
Atari is a cockroach and it will outlive us all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

I don't know, Doom's gameplay, as great as it is, is pretty simple. Headshots/localized damage doesn't even matter. When you're not concerned with that or looking up and down, the jump between KBM and a twin-stick gamepad in terms of control is pretty negligible, assuming your sensitivity is up high enough. Doom (and other games like Wolf and maybe Duke 3D) don't really change that much based on your control method, since they have fewer things going on at once to concern yourself with.

Maybe that's not true for Duke, I haven't really given it that much of a thought, but I'd say that a KB vs gamepad Doom match would be pretty close to evenly matched.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as someone can get good with just X-axis turning with an analong stick, a decent user with a mouse will aim faster and better. Even with Doom's autoaim.

You can still plug four controllers and make everyone play in equal terms or the keyboard guy use keyboard turning.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Your insistence that splitscreen multiplayer for Doom wouldn't be fun is based around one specific control configuration for one specific gametype. You're about as wrong on this subject as you were on the election.

That's a weird strawman you got there bud. I'm just pointing out it's the absolute biggest problem with playing splitscreen deathmatch anything on the PC. (Not really an issue for co-op, because then the guy who gets to use kb+m is just wrecking the demons, not the other dudes).

It's a lot better on console because then everyone's going to be using the same controller, more or less, so there's no one guy getting an unfair advantage.

I don't know, Doom's gameplay, as great as it is, is pretty simple. Headshots/localized damage doesn't even matter. When you're not concerned with that or looking up and down, the jump between KBM and a twin-stick gamepad in terms of control is pretty negligible, assuming your sensitivity is up high enough. Doom (and other games like Wolf and maybe Duke 3D) don't really change that much based on your control method, since they have fewer things going on at once to concern yourself with.

You seem to be thinking too much of really classic Doom deathmatch maps from the 90s, which didn't have that much in the way of verticality. Vertical look/aiming really helps you a lot in a lot of the modern deathmatch maps, especially some of the real fun stuff coming out for Zandronum these days.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

That's a weird strawman you got there bud. I'm just pointing out it's the absolute biggest problem with playing splitscreen deathmatch anything on the PC. (Not really an issue for co-op, because then the guy who gets to use kb+m is just wrecking the demons, not the other dudes).

It's a lot better on console because then everyone's going to be using the same controller, more or less, so there's no one guy getting an unfair advantage.

You're still stuck on the assumption one person must use the keyboard and mouse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

You seem to be thinking too much of really classic Doom deathmatch maps from the 90s, which didn't have that much in the way of verticality. Vertical look/aiming really helps you a lot in a lot of the modern deathmatch maps, especially some of the real fun stuff coming out for Zandronum these days.

Perhaps, yeah. I keep thinking of E1M5, specifically, actually. That being said, I do love all of the newer tricks being put into Doom maps nowadays, but I guess I'm so used to running GZDoom that I don't ever think of multiplayer :shobon:

When I do think of it, it's the classic Doom 1 and/or 2 levels, mostly because of the re-releases.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gee this sure is a worthwhile debate to have.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Has anyone got any unused cool Doom-ish avatar material lying around on their hard drives?

I need a face.

The Kins posted:

Quakespasm for singleplayer, ezQuake for multiplayer, DarkPlaces for :pcgaming: GRAPHICS :pcgaming:

That's pretty sicknasty, dude. Quake modding is looking pretty good these days so I'll go with that.

I think once Atari loses the rights to Blood to WB, the latter party might actually be able to do something with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You're still stuck on the assumption one person must use the keyboard and mouse.

Because that's what people are going to do??? Most people don't bother to have a bunch of controllers that work for their PC so the simplest way to do it is one guy uses the kb+m (because he plays single player that way) and then maybe another guy with a controller or two.

Perhaps, yeah. I keep thinking of E1M5, specifically, actually. That being said, I do love all of the newer tricks being put into Doom maps nowadays, but I guess I'm so used to running GZDoom that I don't ever think of multiplayer :shobon:

When I do think of it, it's the classic Doom 1 and/or 2 levels, mostly because of the re-releases.

Honestly you should hop on some random Zandronum servers sometime. There's some great stuff.

I'm still a big fan of those ridiculous invasion WADs that started when it was skulltag, where you get maps that progressively unlock arena areas as you demolish waves of enemies with like 16 other players.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I tried playing Doom 2 on the Xbox 360 multiple times this year (made it to MAP25) and controller aiming coupled with the game's normal walk/run speed made it a miserable experience on Ultra Violence.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

Because that's what people are going to do??? Most people don't bother to have a bunch of controllers that work for their PC so the simplest way to do it is one guy uses the kb+m (because he plays single player that way) and then maybe another guy with a controller or two.

I always had a controller for everyone when I did splitscreen with my friends. 360 wired controllers work just fine and many people have those due to their low cost and no need for batteries.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

I'm using Quakespam right now for Arcane Dimenions, but I was wishing for higher res. textures. I have seen some stuff of Quake with super duper modern graphics and it was ugly, all super glossy, normal maps exxagerated, all textures super sharpened. I wish for a HD texture pack for Quake, but still done with taste and maintaining the original visual style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Has anyone got any unused cool Doom-ish avatar material lying around on their hard drives?

I need a face.
Stuff I hacked together for an old Imp Zone avatar thread that nobody used:

Dumb bullshit I plucked from the Reelism manual:

Misc. Ephremia:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

I have a pc hooked up to my massive TV for the many many many good local coop that exist on steam. Steam link is also a thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jordan7hm posted:

I have a pc hooked up to my massive TV for the many many many good local coop that exist on steam. Steam link is also a thing.

Nice troll there, guy.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

maybe just maybe

people have friends irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

Nice troll there, guy.

There's plenty of good local multiplayer games on Steam. Off the top of my head:

Trine
Blur
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Gang Beasts
Nidhogg
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Portal 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Wrecking Crew hotseat mode)
Beat Hazard
Gauntlet