Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Every gym I've rolled at grouped people (roughly) by weight. I've always been around 200 lbs so I always got to roll the the giant, excitable dudes and they can be dangerous. The good thing is that they gas really quickly and become much less worrisome after a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Every gym I've rolled at grouped people (roughly) by weight. I've always been around 200 lbs so I always got to roll the the giant, excitable dudes and they can be dangerous. The good thing is that they gas really quickly and become much less worrisome after a few minutes.

See that's the thing - I can handle these guys when they're cooked like that, but it's when they're fresh that they're dangerous. I go light and the response tends to be slamming 225 pound knees down on my ribcage and stuff. I've had a few bigger, newer guys just start to have an ego moment and start going crazy and flailing around when they realize that they're getting beaten by a smaller guy. I know I should say "hey hey hey, easy there - we're just practicing," but that's hard to do mid-roll.

I've started to become extremely selective about who I roll with, but unfortunately that means that my pool of potential partners is very small. Really, like I said, I was just wondering if at a certain point my technique will have improved enough for this to not be as big of a problem.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Eventually, yeah, you'll be able to avoid positions where you're being crushed. It took me a while though (I suck.)

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Here's the thing- I can avoid getting crushed by framing and blocking, rolling to turtle vs passing, and generally never exposing my belly. This is a passive game, waiting for an opportunity to counter and escape, and not burning unnecessary energy. Call it the Telles approach.

But something I've discovered is that it's also a losing game, because it never produces the really effective times for said energy expenditure. You can survive against clumsy attacks, but higher level big guys aren't just fatty floppers, they're smooth and selective and they'll use their weight to find a way in. To beat those guys you have to take risks. Misdirection wins, and you can't be afraid to go somewhere, including underneath, or they'll use it against you.

Here's my advice for lightweights vs heavier opponents, sourced from many years of personal experience with the scenario: Study half guard, top and bottom, until you know it inside and out. You can get there from every bad position, there's a variation to match every style, and you'll consistently be able to 'settle' for it while fighting for 'better' positions. Best of all, while it won't keep you safe from the crush, it will give you the ability to fight off a crush even after it's happened, and that really opens everything else up.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 20, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The thing that sucks against huge buff people is when you have a well practiced sequence that just sort of fails because you can't hold a limb or something. I'll get really close to finishing an arm triangle but somehow the power of them rotating their tricep directly outwards is stronger than all my limbs combined even while they're theoretically rotating around a straight line of force.

I suddenly end up on the bottom, confused and annoyed. It's probably a problem with my fundamentals but I'm too surprised to work out went wrong when my bread and butter moves fail me like that.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Really, like I said, I was just wondering if at a certain point my technique will have improved enough for this to not be as big of a problem.

Obviously this is really subjective and individualized and there are about a million other disclaimers I'd like to mention before I throw out my anecdotal response, but I'd say the level you're looking for was something I started seeing around high level blue belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The thing that sucks against huge buff people is when you have a well practiced sequence that just sort of fails because you can't hold a limb or something. I'll get really close to finishing an arm triangle but somehow the power of them rotating their tricep directly outwards is stronger than all my limbs combined even while they're theoretically rotating around a straight line of force.

I suddenly end up on the bottom, confused and annoyed. It's probably a problem with my fundamentals but I'm too surprised to work out went wrong when my bread and butter moves fail me like that.

YES this is the feeling exactly.

I trained with one guy who was exactly like that, told me "use technique not strength," but seeing as the guy can bicep curl out of an armbar, I don't think he knews a goddamn thing about being in that predicament.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Internet diagnosis: Its probably not that sudden. When you realize you're losing the sub you need to be moving to the next transition instead of doubling down.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Internet diagnosis: Its probably not that sudden. When you realize you're losing the sub you need to be moving to the next transition instead of doubling down.

And if the dude is super strong look for collar chokes. It's really hard to power out of a good baseball bat or helio choke if applied right.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

YES this is the feeling exactly.

I trained with one guy who was exactly like that, told me "use technique not strength," but seeing as the guy can bicep curl out of an armbar, I don't think he knews a goddamn thing about being in that predicament.

If someone is bicep curling out of your armbar, one of two things is happening -

A) You're trying to pull one of his arms with both of yours instead of using your back, which will work on guys closer to your size but is still the wrong technique
B) He can bicep curl more than you can deadlift, in which case you need to either stop rolling with Mariusz or do some basic physical conditioning work.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Please work out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

If someone is bicep curling out of your armbar, one of two things is happening -

A) You're trying to pull one of his arms with both of yours instead of using your back, which will work on guys closer to your size but is still the wrong technique
B) He can bicep curl more than you can deadlift, in which case you need to either stop rolling with Mariusz or do some basic physical conditioning work.

I was being a bit hyperbolic re: the arm bar, but this guy has multiple times been easily able to stop my two-on-one techniques with only one hand and completely just strength his way out of positions which shouldn't be possible. It's seriously what I imagine rolling with Pudz would be like, except less purple. The one time I got him to tap (rnc) remains my most satisfying victory on the mats.

And yes, I stopped rolling with him because he hurt me one too many times, and now he's no longer at my club because drama.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Alternately get Mariusz to give us a shoutout.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

fatherdog posted:

Years ago, I saw Bryan Vetell (RIP) in a friendly roll with Gordinho. Gordinho had Bryan on his back with an armbar almost fully extended and Bryan escaped by lifting his arm straight up in the air with Gordinho attached and slamming him in a different direction. Both Gordinho and I were amazed. Gordinho wasn't even mad; just shocked at how strong Bryan was.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 20, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Oops, double post. Sorry

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Xguard86 posted:

Doing Turkish getups is basically training to do this.

There was a dude at my old gym who did a lot of that kind of thing. it felt like he could just... stand up from all kinds of positions where it really shouldn't be possible.

There's some neuromuscular recruitment or whatever you build doing those things that is different from someone who's got a great bench/squat/deadlift.

RE: really strong guy powering out of arm triangles or others: i used to always have the same feeling and problem. I changed gyms this year and have started finding solutions.

it's very probably you are not *actually using your whole weight and strength. Our instructor routinely demonstrates obstebsively dominant positions that are actually not dominant because an angle or posture is incorrect, so it's more like 50/50. Everytime I've had the problem of a large guy exploding out it starts from some misaligned thing from me that allows them to do it. Plus like someone else said, being in a good spot for a strong transition, which also comes from the same correct base.

I'm sorry I can't help more than that but it's not something you can internet diagnose and not intuitive enough for me yet to trouble shoot on my own.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

david carmichael posted:

Please work out

One of my lifting goals is for people to say that I'm not that good, I'm just strong.

Currently it's both, but one day...

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I was being a bit hyperbolic re: the arm bar, but this guy has multiple times been easily able to stop my two-on-one techniques with only one hand and completely just strength his way out of positions which shouldn't be possible. It's seriously what I imagine rolling with Pudz would be like, except less purple. The one time I got him to tap (rnc) remains my most satisfying victory on the mats.

And yes, I stopped rolling with him because he hurt me one too many times, and now he's no longer at my club because drama.

You're not the guy who always asks the bigger guy his weight after he taps you out are you?

I think its easier for bigger guys to be accused of using strength when their actually just using their weight and good pressure. Yes being a spaz is bad, but making use of your weight correctly when your passing is good jiu-jtisu.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

FreddyJackieTurner posted:

You're not the guy who always asks the bigger guy his weight after he taps you out are you?

Lol, and these guys act that good black belts don't feel like the combined mass of a black hole in a 165 pound frame. I'd rather have a 300+ white or blue belt knee on belly on me than a black belt half that weight on regular mount.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FreddyJackieTurner posted:

I think its easier for bigger guys to be accused of using strength when their actually just using their weight and good pressure. Yes being a spaz is bad, but making use of your weight correctly when your passing is good jiu-jtisu.

Once in a while :smith:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

RE: really strong guy powering out of arm triangles or others: i used to always have the same feeling and problem. I changed gyms this year and have started finding solutions.

it's very probably you are not *actually using your whole weight and strength. Our instructor routinely demonstrates obstebsively dominant positions that are actually not dominant because an angle or posture is incorrect, so it's more like 50/50. Everytime I've had the problem of a large guy exploding out it starts from some misaligned thing from me that allows them to do it. Plus like someone else said, being in a good spot for a strong transition, which also comes from the same correct base.

I'm sorry I can't help more than that but it's not something you can internet diagnose and not intuitive enough for me yet to trouble shoot on my own.

I think I solved it using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOXwqVePsY
I was kind of going forehead down and then rotating in and up, using my neck muscles I guess, while he's completely facing outwards and flattening out before he tries to set up the sides of the triangle, using shoulder + neck + the hip switch to move uke's shoulder. That hip switch he does it cool, though he doesn't mention it. I'll find out if it works next time I roll with Hulksmash Bufflord, I guess.

Anyway my original point wasn't that big people are impossible, it was just that I hate it when I think I have a technique correct and then it just crumbles in the presence of Lord Humongous and my inadequacies are laid bare.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

KildarX posted:

Lol, and these guys act that good black belts don't feel like the combined mass of a black hole in a 165 pound frame. I'd rather have a 300+ white or blue belt knee on belly on me than a black belt half that weight on regular mount.

Heaviest feeling guy I ever had on top of me was Renato Tavares who competes at 154lbs. He knew how to put every one of those 154lbs on an area roughly the size of a dime.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, i'm sorry to have to ask here but I dont know where else to look and i assume theres probably at least 1 person in here who fights -- is there a thread for people who compete at amateur fighting as opposed to just grappling? even on a different message board altogether is fine

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, i'm sorry to have to ask here but I dont know where else to look and i assume theres probably at least 1 person in here who fights -- is there a thread for people who compete at amateur fighting as opposed to just grappling? even on a different message board altogether is fine

Several posters here fight or have fought. I don't think there's a thread specifically for it but the martial arts thread in a/t would field most of your questions. Not sure about off site forums specifically for fighters though.

E:just visited the thread for the first time in months and it's currently about a guy getting cucked by his proff so maybe consider going off site :-P

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 24, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

feel free to rerail it back to fighting

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah please do, it's normally good but the last few pages with that horrible guy... Yeesh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just got back from xmas eve rolls. Lost rear crucifix to a big guy because I couldn't control his free arm, and then I caught myself making the size/strength excuses in my head. After the roll he and I played around with the position a bit, and then I got some input from an instructor.

This week's shitposts at my expense helped me to identify a specific technical problem. Because of you guys, I now have the technical knowledge to secure rear crucifix on a guy who is 75 lean pounds bigger than me. I've also been more conscious of my armbar technique lately, too - the Rowdy Ringsports system of ridicule works.

Merry Xmas you weirdos.

:justpost:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Merry xmas ya grappling assholes. May this year be full of us all getting out next belt/tab/John Danaher post

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

There's some decent overlap, and a few people with MMA fights. you'd probably get some decent answers here or the ma thread.

Otherwise... Idk like MMA underground or Reddit? A lot of noise out there but decent people too.

If poo poo like "should I take this fight" or something then for the love of God ask your coach. If you don't have one or they won't tell you...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thank you for the replies everyone , merry xmas. :-]

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I.N.R.I posted:

thank you for the replies everyone , merry xmas. :-]

Merry Christmas.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I posted this on the general martial arts thread some time ago. I think it's more relevant in here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ElMaligno posted:

I posted this on the general martial arts thread some time ago. I think it's more relevant in here.

Relevant to my av.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm snowed in. Post jits vids:

Yoshida crucifix series is what I'm working on now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Nz_yObT5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLDOxR9PNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GjXhAqNiO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji4LEERfJ9c

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z4BCdlzkks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lNBBhDOd64
Sakuraba is always post worthy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Midlands, one of the biggest in season college wrestling tournaments, is happening today and tomorrow. The Big Ten Network is streaming every match.

http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?day=2016-12-29 (today's streams)
http://www.btn2go.com/schedule?day=2016-12-30 (Friday's streams)

And a link to Track's dashboard to know who is wrestling on what mat

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

One of our two black belts recently informed us he's moving up to New York, and yesterday a black belt from New York who just moved here came in to check out the school. The balance continues.

Also, it just happened that yesterday a slew colored belts forgot their belts, so they had to roll in white belts. After class, the visitor commented how tough our white belts are. He figured something was up with some of the people, but not the scale :angel:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was a video linked (possibly in this thread) that had a bald dude in a rash vest doing like 30 different bjj exercises on the floor, one after the other, no weights. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Memento posted:

There was a video linked (possibly in this thread) that had a bald dude in a rash vest doing like 30 different bjj exercises on the floor, one after the other, no weights. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's exactly it, thank you Mr. Robot.