Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The one you want to watch is called "The Final Cut". In my opinion, it is the best and definitive version. The theatrical cut is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Final Cut version of BR that came out in I think 2007 is by far the best version. Did your version have any terrible narration by Harrison Ford?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Nate RFB posted:

The Final Cut version of BR that came out in I think 2007 is by far the best version. Did your version have any terrible narration by Harrison Ford?

There wasn't any narration in the version I watched, so it might have been the Final Cut

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If he saw the unicorn then it was the director's cut. IIRC the unicorn itself isn't important, but that after dreaming of a unicorn he then finds an origami unicorn later. This shows that the edward james olmos character knows his dreams, or maybe memories???

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

by the way the voxel blade runner point and click is really good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I always wanted to play that since I saw the teaser video that came on the command and conquer discs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

by the way the voxel blade runner point and click is really good

I still have my original CDs of this. I should try installing it again.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's way more to the movie than just the dry plot beats

Of course there is, but I didn't know what part Alfalfa had missed. There's room for a lot of conversation and debate about what else is going on with the movie, what it has to say about class or religion for example, which is part of what makes it a good movie. But "transhumanism and mortality" also seems like a pretty good quick summary of what it's about?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

If he saw the unicorn then it was the director's cut. IIRC the unicorn itself isn't important, but that after dreaming of a unicorn he then finds an origami unicorn later. This shows that the edward james olmos character knows his dreams, or maybe memories???

Just to clarify, the unicorn is in both the Director's Cut and the Final Cut.

I'm gonna watch Blade Runner again today (I don't know why I've been writing it as one word...)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I feel like Harrison Ford's character living for decades after the end of the first film is potentially a pretty big issue. They're either going to establish that he's not a replicant, or he's a special replicant. Either way I feel like there's gonna be a lot of explaining where none was needed.

I mean, in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Deckard is explicitly established not to be a replicant. The movie kept that open-ended intentionally and Ridley Scott said that he thought Deckard was, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that he isn't.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I mean, in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Deckard is explicitly established not to be a replicant. The movie kept that open-ended intentionally and Ridley Scott said that he thought Deckard was, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that he isn't.

Firstly, the movie is so different from the book that calling on it inform the ending is pointless. Secondly, that's what I'm saying: Blade Runner leaves it open-ended intentionally, BR'49 is going to answer it. It didn't need answered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Firstly, the movie is so different from the book that calling on it inform the ending is pointless. Secondly, that's what I'm saying: Blade Runner leaves it open-ended intentionally, BR'49 is going to answer it. It didn't need answered.

Yeah, that's a fair point, just answering in the first place does kinda step on the original movie's intentional open endedness.

I'm still excited for the new movie because the director and cinematographer are loving great and I know it's at least going to be an atmospheric treat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Blade Runner leaves it open-ended intentionally, BR'49 is going to answer it. It didn't need answered.

Yeah it's pretty incredible that the most active conversation about BR has always been whether or not Deckard is a replicant, given that the main point of the movie itself is that it doesn't matter

But yeah I'm also looking forward to the new one because it at least has some potential, and it's at least not a remake or reboot.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Snak posted:

Just to clarify, the unicorn is in both the Director's Cut and the Final Cut.

I'm gonna watch Blade Runner again today (I don't know why I've been writing it as one word...)

Oh right, I always think of them as synonymous for some reason. I just remember that theatrical = bad.

It will definitely end up being that Deckard is not a rep, but Gosling is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought it was established that Ryan Gosling was a real human being, and a real hero.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HITMAN was on sale for 12 bucks on gamestop so now I own all the maps. Once this insanely huge patch finishes Im going to dive into the exotic world of Sapienza

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

Alien 3 would be a cult SF classic if it didn't have the Alien name and retroactively ruin the ending of Aliens. The direction and soundtrack are top notch.

I still say they shoulda gone with the script where it's set years later instead of the next week or whatever and Newt ends up being the only survivor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first few times I saw BR, it was the Theatrical Cut on VHS. I this cut, I feel pretty strongly that Deckard is not a replicant. In fact wasn't even aware of the possibility, and when I heard of that theory, I thought it was preposterous. Now, part of that is due to me being young and not having much capacity to look at films beyong a surface level. So years later when I watched The Final Cut, I felt pretty strongly that in, that version, Deckard is a replicant.

But ultimately, I think a big part of it is that it doesn't matter. I mean, yeah, it matters in the sense that he might drop dead from an expiration date if he's a replicant, but otherwise it's not like he's any less a person. Replicants are biologically indistinguishable from people, and the movie makes a pretty strong argument that they are emotional and intellectually on the same level. So I guess what I mean when I say "it doesn't matter" is that it the end, it doesn't actually inform the conflicts of his character. I don't think he chooses to do any of the things he does because he is or isn't a replicant.

edit:

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah it's pretty incredible that the most active conversation about BR has always been whether or not Deckard is a replicant, given that the main point of the movie itself is that it doesn't matter

But yeah I'm also looking forward to the new one because it at least has some potential, and it's at least not a remake or reboot.

It's not incredible at all, it's the pedestrian nature of the average person's level of discourse: facts about the plot. That's part of why I'm not looking forward to the sequel and all the "discussion" about "canon" and "who was right".

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 20, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

I still have my original CDs of this. I should try installing it again.

Good luck I think it's virtually impossible to get running on modern machines though, I always wanted to play it. :( I always hoped GOG got hold of it eventually but I don't think they ever did.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

HITMAN was on sale for 12 bucks on gamestop so now I own all the maps. Once this insanely huge patch finishes Im going to dive into the exotic world of Sapienza

Without even really trying, I played Sapienza for the first time a couple days ago and ended up blowing up one of the targets with a remote explosive while dressed as the Plague Doctor and getting a "Heisenberg" feat for dumping some bodies in serious acid. That was just in my first run!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

there's a guy in sapienza with a hard to steal outfit which i don't think actually gets you in anywhere but gosh dang if it isn't the best outfit in the level

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame the Aliens extended cut went with the Lord of the Rings philosophy of "put literally every deleted scene back in the movie". Some of the added scenes are really good, and some are terrible and pointless. It would be nice if there was a good extended cut...

The Two Towers is greatly improved by the presence of the extended scenes, Return is hurt by some of them but some are good and Fellowship is pretty much a wash. There was still stuff left out.

Harrow posted:

I read that a while ago so I might be misremembering and I didn't think it was 100% that he wasn't a replicant, just that he passed the test the other cop had but that cop failed his test - but I didn't think we were supposed to go "ah good, definitely human!" at that point.

I should probably reread it though because I really enjoyed it and basically blazed through it way too quickly to remember the details well.

Science has gone too far.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 20, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

there's a guy in sapienza with a hard to steal outfit which i don't think actually gets you in anywhere but gosh dang if it isn't the best outfit in the level

Oh btw I never got the chameleon challenge in Paris, is there some specific outfit I never found? I feel like I was pretty thorough. I even used the vampire magician one a few times

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's the unique ones like kruger, the sheikh, viktor's bodyguard. the auction staff might be easy to miss too ??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's no reason to need a chef's outfit so that might be the one you're missing (and might be why the Feat for all costumes has 47 in the chef's outfit, to remind you?).

Edit: Did not realize the bodyguard was a unique outfit. Must have grabbed that one at some point after taking him out.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if it was a glitch but I remember chameleon wouldn't unlock for me in Sapienza and I was going through every single disguise repeatedly. It turned out I had never changed back into 47's suit after ditching it and that was the one I was missing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm currently getting my game installation ready for 'Japanuary' and I wanted to know which games I should ensure I try to play throughout the month. I'm not sure what the best ones are and I'm sure I have a lot of them on my steam list but I don't know which are which.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade Runner was already ruined... when they turned Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into a movie. :smug:

I'm kidding, although I prefer the book to the film. If they want to do something with Philip K. Dick and a lot of Hollywood money, they should just loving make Ubik already. Get a great, weird director and a decent ensemble cast and make everyone afraid for their lives.

Speaking of Dick (<-joke potential here), is anyone watching The Man in the High Castle? I kind of thought the first half of season 1 sucked but that it improved a bit, and I'm hoping season 2 is a lot better.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bicyclops posted:

Blade Runner was already ruined... when they turned Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? into a movie. :smug:

I'm kidding, although I prefer the book to the film. If they want to do something with Philip K. Dick and a lot of Hollywood money, they should just loving make Ubik already. Get a great, weird director and a decent ensemble cast and make everyone afraid for their lives.

Speaking of Dick (<-joke potential here), is anyone watching The Man in the High Castle? I kind of thought the first half of season 1 sucked but that it improved a bit, and I'm hoping season 2 is a lot better.

:yeah:

I think after the success of Inception and Doctor Strange, the viewing audience is probably ready for a film that goes to the weird places Ubik goes to. I think it could be really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

Season 2 is a big step up in quality, it's great. Philip K. Dick is my second favorite writer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As a big fan of the book The Man in the High Castle, I don't really have any interest in the series, since it looks to be focusing on the "alt-history" aspect too much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched the first episode and it seemed okay but never bothered after that, big fan of the book though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm sure it's decent, even it's doing its own thing. I'm just being a snob as an excuse to not watch it. I watch too much poo poo already.

Blade Runner did its own thing compared to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and that turned out great...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched the first episode and it seemed okay but never bothered after that, big fan of the book though.

It's good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKFIim6Gj8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

Season 2 is a big step up in quality, it's great. Philip K. Dick is my second favorite writer.

That's really good to hear. Maybe I'll get back to it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Right, but is any part of it about people seeing the fabric of reality coming apart and understanding that they are part of a multiverse?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Right, but is any part of it about people seeing the fabric of reality coming apart and understanding that they are part of a multiverse?

Yes. Very much so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yes. Very much so.

Oh. Maybe I'll check it out the. None of the promotional material hinted at this (which is good and cool), I just assumed they were going with the more popular surface-theme of 'oh poo poo what if nazis!!".

Is there still now-retro cool tech like trans-continental passenger rocketships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Oh. Maybe I'll check it out the. None of the promotional material hinted at this (which is good and cool), I just assumed they were going with the more popular surface-theme of 'oh poo poo what if nazis!!".

Is there still now-retro cool tech like trans-continental passenger rocketships?

It's going to depend on which direction they take it, but the end of season 1 sort of indicated that the show might even focus on it more than the book did, actually.

If you do decide to check it out, you have to sort of swallow that the first half of season 1 is not very good. There's a lot of weird running around in the neutral zone with a weird bounty hunter who, for some reason, they thought should be played by Burn Gorman, who seems to have to spend the entire time chewing on his tongue to pretend to be American. They also start hitting Frank Frink with tragedy before we're really ready to identify with him all the way. Things pick up in the second half and it finally started to get my interest, though, and the finale made me hope for better things.

The bad reviews for season 2 have mostly been "Why watch this as an alternate reality when you can just walk outside now?" which I think is sort of a weird criticism.

• Locked thread