Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

dokmo posted:

Over the next six weeks, their opponents will average 107.0 ORTG, which is the 6th easiest, and their opponents will average 107.4 DRTG, which is the 4th hardest.

How is this possible? 107.3 is the league average rating. I'm having trouble understanding how .1 worse than average could be the 4th hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with the pistons
Reggie Jackson is cancer on bat wings
I would fight him

DeimosRising posted:

One time I made Mario hezonja so good he averaged 29/5/6 and shot 48% from 3 and 97% from the line for a full season and he didn't make an all NBA team. I bet it was cause old American men were calling him a gay euro and saying he had family ties to the udba (preotectors of brave Yugoslav people from filthy internal enemies like ignorant Serb nationalist fascists, not an evil gang like America has!)

gently caress You

dokmo posted:

With Clint Capela out for 6 weeks, here's a chance for you to do some forecasting in an environment of uncertainty. With Capela in the starting lineup, the Rockets have had the #4 offense (adjusted for opponent—see http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017_ratings.html), based on being probably the best pick and roll attack in the league. They are ranked #16 defense overall, with a decent pick and roll defense. Over the next six weeks, their opponents will average 107.0 ORTG, which is the 6th easiest, and their opponents will average 107.4 DRTG, which is the 4th hardest. They will play 11 games at home and 13 games on the road. Without their primary pick and roll big, what do you think will happen to the Rockets offense while playing against the 4th toughest schedule of defenses over that span? And without their only rim protector, what do you think will happen to their defense while playing against the 6th worst combined offenses over that span?

I predict that the Rockets offense will be ranked between #6-#8 on January 31. I predict that their defense will fall apart, and drop to between #20-#24.
Barring Chinanu Onauku blossoming in big minutes, I agree. What will their center rotation be? Onuaku and Montrezl Harrel? I respect Onuaku as a man, for having the courage to stick to his convictions, but he's just a rookie

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Their C rotation will probably be Nene and then small ball shenanigans. (I consider any lineup with Harrell at C to be shenanigans). They might activate Nanu and keep him called up but I don't think he will probably break into the rotation or anything. Offensively it'll probably be okay, Harden/Capela P&R is a beautiful magical thing but they can make up for it with the increased 3pt shooting of their small lineups. The defense will be straight dog doo though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Again, any team that poaches beloved Spurs talent will be cursed, because when they bring that prince home there will be a pumpkin in his place
Let that be a lesson to anyone who wants to steal our Patty next offseason

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

speaking of bad nba predictions, i dont know why this always stuck with me but i was 100% convinced that chris lofton was going to be the next great nba 3 point shooter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

Clint Capela may have a broken fibula. Way to go KAT :mad:

Bryan colangelo bailed out once again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I forgot to post this the other day

What is that font? It's great.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

It'd suck to trade for a malcontent like Nerlens and have his bad attitude mess up all the good vibes this team has going.

I think he's got a legitimate reason to be upset. It's not his fault that his GM is too stupid to trade him. His GM thinks it is though and didn't trade him beacause, uhhh, let's see here... "We're dealing with problems that exist because of Sam Hinkie"

Jack's Flow posted:

Zach Lowe told this story on his podcast once how Malone basically said, "Don't expect Jokic to be the guy he was last year because when everyone's healthy he can't be", and it was so loving weird. Jokic is your best big man, so you don't play him because worse players are available? What?

Yeah that same exact quote was what sent my bell ringing a month or so ago. It made me think less of Mikeael Malone but at least he apparently re-realized the special talent he has

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I don't know if he's "too stupid" to trade him when he's gotten no good offers and Noel has been hurt until like last week.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If everyone on the Pels was healthy, Davis wouldn't be putting up nearly the number of points he is.

If Wiggins and Lavine were down, KAT's numbers would go up.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Well I don't know if he's "too stupid" to trade him when he's gotten no good offers and Noel has been hurt until like last week.

Shrug, it's been a problem for him since he got the job and he's done nothing substantial to ameliorate it and has resorted to blaming the ghost of the last GM. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If health dictates that you need to go through one player, that player is going to put up more box score stats. May not be as efficient, but yeah.

Having everyone healthy means the numbers can be spread out a bit more evenly, but hopefully with improved team efficiency.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Shrug, it's been a problem for him since he got the job and he's done nothing substantial to ameliorate it and has resorted to blaming the ghost of the last GM. Seems pretty stupid to me.

There wasn't a logjam until embiid played and appeared he could stay healthy and by that time Noel was hurt.

I don't agree with everything BC says but I can see his point there. I mean unless we are saying trade Noel for a second rounder.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

There wasn't a logjam until embiid played and appeared he could stay healthy and by that time Noel was hurt.

I don't agree with everything BC says but I can see his point there. I mean unless we are saying trade Noel for a second rounder.

Hopefully you get more than that, but at this point you're praying on an injury desperation move (Rockets with Capela) right? They want to get rid of him ASAP and he's clearly not going to get much playing time to boost up his value. It's such a weird situation.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm really glad Mike Malone remembered that Nikola Jokic is better than Nurkic. My boy needs his confidence back

Nurkic came into camp in great shape and was playing more disciplined ball which made Malone salivate like any coach should when they have a 7'0 that can move like that. Jokic was a bit cold to start off the season so he started pairing them up for 20 minutes a game which lead to offensive disasters.

I think Nurkic would be really good on a team that doesn't run their offense through the high block. This is totally Jokic's team tho cus he balls the gently caress out

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Nurkic came into camp in great shape and was playing more disciplined ball which made Malone salivate like any coach should when they have a 7'0 that can move like that. Jokic was a bit cold to start off the season so he started pairing them up for 20 minutes a game which lead to offensive disasters.

I think Nurkic would be really good on a team that doesn't run their offense through the high block. This is totally Jokic's team tho cus he balls the gently caress out

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like Nurkic and he started off hot but it just seemed so strange to just put Jokic in such an uncomfortable situation due to a cold start. Sad to see Nurkic sit the entire night last night and I hope ends up somewhere that can use him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel is going to play and play a lot .

They will probably rotate him and okafor once Noel has kissed some rear end in practice for a awhile.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stan needs to get through to Reggie mentally. Apparently he pulled the "you think I shoot too much? Fine, I won't shoot ever!" act last night. Guarantee he's on the bench tomorrow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

Noel is going to play and play a lot .

They will probably rotate him and okafor once Noel has kissed some rear end in practice for a awhile.

Noel not playing is mind boggling. Okafor should be the one getting shipped out of there. Embiid does everything he does but better.

Also I think the Sixers would benefit from trading both and bringing in established vets around Embiid but this is real life and not 2k so what do I know

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hopefully you get more than that, but at this point you're praying on an injury desperation move (Rockets with Capela) right? They want to get rid of him ASAP and he's clearly not going to get much playing time to boost up his value. It's such a weird situation.

It seemed like before he complained after the first game back from injury about his playing time that they'd probably ramp up his minutes. Richaun Holmes was the third string center and he was getting like 15 minutes a game so far this year.

I get why he's probably freaking out a little since it is a contract year for him but it probably didn't really help either side at all.

Also Colangelo's crying about how he didn't create the logjam was dumb but we don't really know what kind of offers have come in so far and with Noel hurt like the entire season his value has been about bottomed out so holding on to him for a little is the right move. But yeah an injury desperation move is probably the Sixers best bet anyway to move him. Although they could always decide they want to keep him and move Okafor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

Noel not playing is mind boggling. Okafor should be the one getting shipped out of there. Embiid does everything he does but better.

Also I think the Sixers would benefit from trading both and bringing in established vets around Embiid but this is real life and not 2k so what do I know

Both will be traded.

Noel isn't playing right now because the coach is trying to instill some team order and wasn't happy the guy was awol for months and then expected minutes immediately upon return when the coach was already struggling to play 3 other centers all of whom are good teammates and show up every day. There is a clear window for Noel to play if he shuts up and shows up to practice. Like maybe people don't know but he basically abandoned working out with the team.

As for keeping okafor over Noel for now; there is a lot of factors in that besides the fact that Noel can defend a pnr and okafor can not.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Both will be traded.

Noel isn't playing right now because the coach is trying to instill some team order and wasn't happy the guy was awol for months and then expected minutes immediately upon return when the coach was already struggling to play 3 other centers all of whom are good teammates and show up every day. There is a clear window for Noel to play if he shuts up and shows up to practice. Like maybe people don't know but he basically abandoned working out with the team.

As for keeping okafor over Noel for now; there is a lot of factors in that besides the fact that Noel can defend a pnr and okafor can not.

I really do expect both to be traded. Maybe not both this year, but Noel is gone at the deadline regardless and Okafor could be, or at the very least during the draft. A healthy Ben Simmons means you don't even have a Power Forward slot to force Noel/Okafor to slide into.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
At least this year's Sixers drama is tempered by the fact that you know that Joel Embiid is a future hall of famer in actual basketball games now

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Not playing Noel is the Most Stupid thing you could do, because he's going to be gone for like a second rounder. I'd be pissed if I was him, too, being a contract year and all, but it's the NBA so SOMEBODY is gonna give him $60m.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

I really do expect both to be traded. Maybe not both this year, but Noel is gone at the deadline regardless and Okafor could be, or at the very least during the draft. A healthy Ben Simmons means you don't even have a Power Forward slot to force Noel/Okafor to slide into.

Well .. Simmons will likely be a small forward in defense so you will still need a 4 but they will go with stretch 4. IMHO know one knows really . Who ever plays forward with Simmons will need to shoot threes so you are right neither Noel or okafor fits .

Anyway the reason you don't keep Noel is because he will make too money to be a back up and you don't keep okafor because he just isn't any good at all.

If okafor could defend a pnr and be happy with backing up Embiid I'd keep him but those are big ifs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Ed Davis to Houston, Montrezl to Philly and Noel to Portland?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why are you so confident that Ben Simmons can guard small forwards? In a league where teams are going smaller and smaller a 6'10" 250ish pound player on the wing is probably not a recipe for success.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why are you so confident that Ben Simmons can guard small forwards? In a league where teams are going smaller and smaller a 6'10" 250ish pound player on the wing is probably not a recipe for success.

I'm not confident . In fact I said "no one knows". No one knows. The coach thinks he will guard threes but he doesn't know either.

It will all depend on who guards him. I doubt most 4s will be guarding him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yea next LeBron was a poor appellation for him. Call him a more athletic vlade divac

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vlade was never the primary ball handler . Iirc he passed a lot from the high post.

Simmons is going to be bringing the ball up, setting up plays on the perimeter, running PNRs etc. he will be a point guard in offense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Their C rotation will probably be Nene and then small ball shenanigans. (I consider any lineup with Harrell at C to be shenanigans). They might activate Nanu and keep him called up but I don't think he will probably break into the rotation or anything. Offensively it'll probably be okay, Harden/Capela P&R is a beautiful magical thing but they can make up for it with the increased 3pt shooting of their small lineups. The defense will be straight dog doo though.

Of course I forgot Nene, my favorite player and a man who like me only plays when he feels like it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I'm not confident . In fact I said "no one knows". No one knows. The coach thinks he will guard threes but he doesn't know either.

It will all depend on who guards him. I doubt most 4s will be guarding him.

That's kind of the point. The reason why he is so effective is that he is a giant man who can play like a guard on offense. You create lineups that force opposing power forwards to guard him, by stuffing as much shooting as possible into your 1,2 and 3 slots. Teams will have to make a conscious decision of whether to stick a PF on him, on a wing, or just play with one big. All 3 are really bad decisions because:

a) He is quicker and has better handles than any power forward not named Blake Griffin
b) A power forward on the wing allows for more cutting and screening opportunities on the perimeter
c) He is super effective creating in the high post, and with only one big man on the floor that will be difficult to defend

Just punting and letting their best wing defender guard sit on him without creating any miss matches is a huge missed opportunity and probably straight up bad coaching.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 20, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well obv they're going to pnr him on to favorable switches

But he's going to guard whoever is guarding him in normal cases to prevent the need to cross switch on transition.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

dokmo, I'm with you there 100% which is why I never post in prediction threads and always tell people to laugh at my history of bad NBA draft takes

Making poo poo predictions are great and you should always do it. I've made so many I can't even imagine my worst ones. Maybe it was saying Kyrie Irving would be a poo poo player with a streaky shot.

I also said Jamal Murray is The Real Deal after seeing him play 20 minutes in a PanAm game

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Is there any reason Simmons can't be a massive freak point guard like Antetokounmpo? Because we need more of that, and I want to see that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

Is there any reason Simmons can't be a massive freak point guard like Antetokounmpo? Because we need more of that, and I want to see that.

Giannis is not actually playing point guard. The two most common lineups the Bucks use feature Dellevadova and Snell, two guards. Sure, he is filling the traditional point guard role on offense, but positions do not matter on offense. What matters is who you can guard. Giannis is guarding wings and occasionally bigs.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Giannis is not actually playing point guard. The two most common lineups the Bucks use feature Dellevadova and Snell, two guards. Sure, he is filling the traditional point guard role on offense, but positions do not matter on offense. What matters is who you can guard. Giannis is guarding wings and occasionally bigs.

Totally fair point. Do the Sixers have the kind of guards that could free up Simmons to do the same kind of thing? My initial thought is probably not, but I'm not sure.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I look forward to the Ryan Anderson playing center experience

Nene can't go for enough minutes for the rotation to be him and Montrezl

This would sure be a good time to have DMo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

I look forward to the Ryan Anderson playing center experience

Nene can't go for enough minutes for the rotation to be him and Montrezl

This would sure be a good time to have DMo

He can almost play competent 1v1 defense against some centers in the league and has recent experience doing so! Just don't expect him to make timely rotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Libertine posted:

Totally fair point. Do the Sixers have the kind of guards that could free up Simmons to do the same kind of thing? My initial thought is probably not, but I'm not sure.

No, but we could potentially pull in Fultz/Monk in the draft.

https://twitter.com/NBASlander/status/810652315594043393

• Locked thread