Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

porkswordonboard posted:

Salt is actually a super fascinating topic that has its fingers in every pie and has shaped the world more than many of us realize. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky covers everything from saltmaking to politics to recipes to etymology. One small example is the word "salary," also derived from salt, as Roman soldiers were often paid partly in salt. I think it's super interesting!

I own multiple copies of this book because I loan it to anybody whose hands I can shove it into. It's a shockingly deep subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sounds like it's worth its salt LOL

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

rydiafan posted:

I own multiple copies of this book because I loan it to anybody whose hands I can shove it into. It's a shockingly deep subject.

Universal history of numbers is another cool book, I've done the exact same with it

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Phlegmish posted:

Sounds like it's worth its salt LOL

Na, Clearly worth more.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

porkswordonboard posted:

Towns ending in the suffix of -wich are called that to denote places of saltmaking, mostly through elaborate systems of evaporating pools. To be more concise, it's derived from wic, the Anglo-Saxon word for "dwelling" or "fortified place" as well as the Old English wic (wyck, wych) meaning "bay," denoting brine springs and wells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-wich_town

Salt is actually a super fascinating topic that has its fingers in every pie and has shaped the world more than many of us realize. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky covers everything from saltmaking to politics to recipes to etymology. One small example is the word "salary," also derived from salt, as Roman soldiers were often paid partly in salt. I think it's super interesting!
There's some bbc docu that I watched, probably a James Burke docu, that highlights how deep salt goes in human society. It's crazy, how much we take it for granite now but how vastly important and scarce it was for so long and how it shaped civilization. Also like that is coffee. Coffee is hosed up, yo. It's got a real messed up history involving colonization and enslavement of indigenous peoples

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

...It's crazy, how much we take it for granite now...

I'd love to believe this was intentional.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

god dammit

I think im developing a cold or something

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I think im developing a cold or something

so you hear Ds as Ts?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Useless Rabbit posted:

I'd love to believe this was intentional.

I took it with a granum of salt.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

KoRMaK posted:

There's some bbc docu that I watched, probably a James Burke docu, that highlights how deep salt goes in human society. It's crazy, how much we take it for granite now but how vastly important and scarce it was for so long and how it shaped civilization. Also like that is coffee. Coffee is hosed up, yo. It's got a real messed up history involving colonization and enslavement of indigenous peoples

I think it boils down to whatever we consider to be "essential" is likely to have a complicated and far-reaching history, and bleed into a ton of other areas we wouldn't think of. Like the town-naming thing, as someone pointed out there's a lot of reasons towns can end in -wich, but by what I've read, a majority (not all!) of such in Britain were significant salt manufacturers, so -wich *often* indicates salt was a Big Deal there. Plenty of towns are by a bay, but the ones ending -wich are likely to have had salt pits, evaporating pools, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though, that's the whole point of this thread!

Also: does anyone else hate it when people pronounce it "ex cetera?"

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
Here in Aussieland I pronounce it et-cetra wanna fight

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

porkswordonboard posted:

Also: does anyone else hate it when people pronounce it "ex cetera?"

Not as much as when people write it "ect."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I pronounce it as "et cetera", as in Peter Cetera

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does bother me a bit but technically the Latin c is supposed to be pronounced as k and no one does that either

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It does bother me a bit but technically the Latin c is supposed to be pronounced as k and no one does that either

No-one in your rear end-clown culture does :smugmrgw:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I pronounce it as "et cetera", as in Peter Cetera

Dammit

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

In German, you just say "und so weiter", which means "and so on". English is a fiend for loan words like no other.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

andipossess posted:

Apparently you can thank Clueless for popularizing that phrase rather than the admittedly horrifying history behind it.

Hooray, my hometown is famous.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In German, you just say "und so weiter", which means "and so on". English is a fiend for loan words like no other.

I'm not sure Latin terms count as loan words

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm not sure Latin terms count as loan words

Why not?

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Tiggum posted:

Why not?

I mean its not like we're giving them back

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Latin doesn't care anyway since it's dead

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
legacy words. bequeathed words

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Uhh you can also say and so on in English, as you just did?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joint custody words.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

InediblePenguin posted:

bequeathed words

yes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Diamonds are mostly just scratch resistant but not especially durable and can be broken with a hammer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RareAcumen posted:

Diamonds are mostly just scratch resistant but not especially durable and can be broken with a hammer.

Uhhhhh
Tell that to my diamond pickaxe. Heh. Heh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Diamonds are one of, if not the, hardest metals known the man.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

The melting point of diamond is very low but it's extremely viscous so it's the slowest-moving liquid known to man, just after glass.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

purple death ray posted:

No because if theres a car made of diamond and it goes 400mph it'll explode when it hits a wall because the faster something goes the less durability it has.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

The melting point of diamond is very low but it's extremely viscous so it's the slowest-moving liquid known to man, just after glass.

This is wrong in an awful lot of ways.

Unless :thejoke:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Diamonds are, in fact, not a girl's best friend.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Or set on fire, for real.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Figured this one out years ago but for a good portion of my life I didn't realize that wax burned and was the fuel for a candle. I just figured that the wick burned and the wax simply prevented it from burning too quickly.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Frank Miller and Arthur Miller and Steve Miller. I think I "knew" all three were different people but I pictured the same generic old man face for all three so I must not have been distinguishing them. Never stopped to ask myself how the guy who wrote The Crucible and the guy who directed Sin City could realistically be the same, but that's why I can't believe i just figured it out

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

Frank Miller and Arthur Miller and Steve Miller. I think I "knew" all three were different people but I pictured the same generic old man face for all three so I must not have been distinguishing them. Never stopped to ask myself how the guy who wrote The Crucible and the guy who directed Sin City could realistically be the same, but that's why I can't believe i just figured it out

Frank Miller wrote the best and worst Batmans.

He lost his mind after 9/11.

Much like Dennis Miller.

e: Dennis Miller never made anything worth reading/watching so I guess much unlike

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Didi Conn (the lady from Grease and Shining Time Station) is not the same access as Nana Visitor, the lady who was on Deep Space Nine.

I mean, I suppose I kinda knew, since in terms of Grease/STS and DS9 there's no way they could be the same actress, but I just got off my proverbial rear end to confirm it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Didi Conn (the lady from Grease and Shining Time Station) is not the same access as Nana Visitor, the lady who was on Deep Space Nine.

I mean, I suppose I kinda knew, since in terms of Grease/STS and DS9 there's no way they could be the same actress, but I just got off my proverbial rear end to confirm it.

Why not? Nana Visitor was 21 when Grease was released, which seems like a pretty reasonable age for a character that's in high school.

E: confirming that Salt was a surprisingly interesting book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sweeperbravo posted:

The easy way to remember this is that unlike the other two Arthur Miller is not a hack.