Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Volkerball posted:

Muses entire identity at the start was based around the different ways they experimented so I have no idea what you are talking about. There's no other band who made songs like map of the problematique, their cover of feeling good, dead star, or space dementia, much less all of them. They did stuff no one had ever tried before, crammed it all together, and somehow made it work perfectly most of the time, which was a really cool thing to experience. I'm sorry if you were too busy listening to Hey Ya to appreciate it.
I'm sorry that you have no perspective or knowledge of music beyond what plays on 101.3 THE BLAZE ALL ROCK ALL THE TIME time time

also what the gently caress did Outkast ever do to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

kustomkarkommando posted:

"Oh you mean the beefheart who sings songs about butts"

this makes it sound pretty good imo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

what do people outside North America think of the grateful dead

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Chelb posted:

They are definitely several rungs lower on the classic rock pantheon than in america in my experience

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

They are definitely several rungs lower on the classic rock pantheon than in america in my experience

a single tear rolls down gorp's cheek

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Chelb posted:

Their music is thoroughly rooted in Americana and they didn't tour Europe frequently (1972, 1981, and 1990 are the big European tours...they played a few shows in 1974 but beyond that I don't think they ever left the states?), so, while Europe '72 is legendary, they were never big in Europe and aren't thought of in the same terms (either positive or negative) as in the US.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe Europe doesn't like jam bands.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pangstrom posted:

Maybe Europe doesn't like jam bands.

maybe europe is bad and we shouldn't set our standards by them

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Canada truly has the best music

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

maybe you should relax and just dig on this crunchy groove

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol that vb is mad about hey ya, a pop rock song released by a rap group

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago they were one of the best bands out there tho.

Nah, they've always been terrible. Plus I think they're close friends with My Chemical Romance, so that just compounds it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Perfect example here: in the US they aren't generally thought of as part of the classic rock pantheon even if they were a rock band from the same era. They were their own thing running parallel to the music of the time, most classic rock stations don't play Dead songs (and on the off chance they do it's entirely off Workingman's Dead or American Beauty), and their fans and music are generally quite different.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Perfect example here: in the US they aren't generally thought of as part of the classic rock pantheon even if they were a rock band from the same era. They were their own thing running parallel to the music of the time, most classic rock stations don't play Dead songs (and on the off chance they do it's entirely off Workingman's Dead or American Beauty), and their fans and music are generally quite different.

Plus a lot of them have transitioned into Phish fans, and there's just no excuse for that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don't have an opinion about the Grateful Dead

My parents fuckin' love em though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rush Limbo posted:

Muse were not experimental lol

Doing 20 variations of a generic rock style is not experimental.

Frank Zappa, for example, worked in pretty much every single genre from classical to industrial noise and probably created a few new ones too.
did this zappa guy work in drum and bass? no? who cares about him then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my ears sniff a basset hound

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chelb posted:

they better be grateful, collective cemetery cleanup is a major bi-annual event in rural latvia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

so, i heard you had an election this year...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well take back all the Bowie then

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Majorian posted:

Plus a lot of them have transitioned into Phish fans, and there's just no excuse for that.

You try regularly taking acid for forty years and then trying to come to terms with grunge in the mid nineties when Jerry died and see how well it works

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

well take back all the Bowie then

n... no!! :ohdear:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I've had enough of these europeans bad mouthing the grateful dead and phish and rush

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Chelb posted:

n... no!! :ohdear:

well take back the kraftwerk too but you heathens in this thread probably don't appreciate it anyway

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I've had enough of these europeans bad mouthing the grateful dead and phish and rush
if it helps then i dont know either of those

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

well take back the kraftwerk too but you heathens in this thread probably don't appreciate it anyway
YOU MONSTER

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Guess you can't have any rap. Or jazz. Or blues. Or electric guitars.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

the europeans are right

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sounds like nothing of value will be lost

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Rush are good though, I know Rush are good. We're back into very certain territory here.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

kals just listens to the sounds of potatoes growing, sped up by 1000

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

grateful dead is good car music imo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chelb posted:

kals just listens to the sounds of potatoes growing, sped up by 1000

potatowave

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is a music trade war based purely on restricting the musical output of white people from the 1970s

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jazz is an interesting point to make since it's undergone an almost complete fusion with traditional folk music in much of northern europe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

praise odin, hallelujah *doop-dee-doots on sax*

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I guess well take back twelve tone equal tempermant

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This escalated quickly

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dadchat's ideal compromise music is going to turn out to be something like A Fifth of Beethoven or Deodato's version of Also Sprach Zarathustra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Dadchat's ideal compromise music is going to turn out to be something like A Fifth of Beethoven or Deodato's version of Also Sprach Zarathustra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtTg47YPPo

• Locked thread