Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

Lovecraft appeals to us primarily when we are ourselves feeling morbid. Apart from his offensively awful writing and a resultant inability to describe his horrors (leaving us to do the work -- the secret of his success -- we're all better writers than he is!)
:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think it's less a matter of whether individual "nerdy" works map to fascist ideas, and more that currently nerds are very, very likely to embrace toxic masculinity, which leads to fascist ideas.

Maybe I'm completely off-base with this, since I'm too young to remember anything I'm about to talk about, but my perception is that, up until some point in the 80's or 90's, nerd culture was basically okay with the fact that they were not traditionally masculine; that's where so much of the sexual weirdness of "golden age" sci-fi came from, an outright rejection of mainstream norms. But at some point nerd culture started valuing mainstream acceptance, and with that came a need to overcompensate for their perceived lack of masculinity. Am I on the right track here, or am I just spouting bullshit?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DStecks posted:

I think it's less a matter of whether individual "nerdy" works map to fascist ideas, and more that currently nerds are very, very likely to embrace toxic masculinity, which leads to fascist ideas.

Maybe I'm completely off-base with this, since I'm too young to remember anything I'm about to talk about, but my perception is that, up until some point in the 80's or 90's, nerd culture was basically okay with the fact that they were not traditionally masculine; that's where so much of the sexual weirdness of "golden age" sci-fi came from, an outright rejection of mainstream norms. But at some point nerd culture started valuing mainstream acceptance, and with that came a need to overcompensate for their perceived lack of masculinity. Am I on the right track here, or am I just spouting bullshit?

There was this article going around which makes the argument that nerds were always a way for straight, cis, white males to usurp the language of oppression from the actually oppressed and shift the focus back to their own problems. It says that, insofar as they were maligned, they were maligned because other groups such as gay people or feminine men were maligned. So kind of, but perhaps irrelevant?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It really depends on the zeitgeist of nerd culture at any given time. Nerds are for the most part going to track to the same political leanings as other people of their same social and economic position. Most people who vocally identifiy themselves as nerds are little whites in terms of economic power or lack there of and right now little whites are tracting fascist like they generally do when there is a large amount of economic disparity between rich and poor. Hence nerds loving the fash.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've no doubt that elements of what you guys are talking about are true, but I would go as far as saying that nerd fascism is centrally about resentment towards women

the rejection of classically masculine norms created a meme that nerds were unattractive to women, and once you open up that can of worms all sorts of poo poo spins out from there culturally

basically what I'm saying is if being a obsessive, socially awkward weirdo meant ladies would gently caress your brains out, none of this would be happening

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

There was this article going around which makes the argument that nerds were always a way for straight, cis, white males to usurp the language of oppression from the actually oppressed and shift the focus back to their own problems. It says that, insofar as they were maligned, they were maligned because other groups such as gay people or feminine men were maligned. So kind of, but perhaps irrelevant?

I've read that article before and I frankly think it goes too far in reading a current trend back into the past. The notion that "As a social character, the nerd exists to deny the significance (if not the existence) of race, class, and gender oppression" is just a gigantic loving stretch.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It really depends on the zeitgeist of nerd culture at any given time. Nerds are for the most part going to track to the same political leanings as other people of their same social and economic position. Most people who vocally identifiy themselves as nerds are little whites in terms of economic power or lack there of and right now little whites are tracting fascist like they generally do when there is a large amount of economic disparity between rich and poor. Hence nerds loving the fash.

I feel like this is what it probably comes down to. It's not nerd culture inherently as much as it is that it's a white-dominated subculture, with a disproportionate cultural voice at this point in history due to their internet savvy. Same as GamerGate didn't lead to Trump, it was just the first home-turf flareup of the social causes that would lead to Trump.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hah, I've thought of that a few times. Its such a terrible looking monster it'll just drive you mad looking at it!

Cool so what does it look like?

..... You'll go insane!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Nerd fascism is macho power fantasies all the way down. If i wasn't a dummy and read books I'd trace a line from Robinson Crusoe to present day. You get a story about a man using wits and force of will to overcome a state of nature, a story so popular it inspired a genre of "Robinsonades". Then you get "Edisonades" about men (and often kids, like Thomas A Swift who had an Electric Rifle) using technology to do the same, often in a more overtly colonial context. Then Heinlein takes that kind of technology into an even more futuristic setting with a fresh coat of machismo*. Ender's Game takes that moral certitude and repackages it for the kiddies. It's hard to imagine not-fascist nerd futures. Even scifi Evil Futures often end up being perverse power fantasies (a lot of people seem waaay into 1984, or Mad Max, or zombies) :can:Superheroes:can: Hell, even Star Trek is about the not-military going into space and shooting or :techno: the weird space bullshit of the week.

*no idea where asimov or sagan or clarke or frank herbert would fit into this

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
People have been pointing out that nerd dreams are fascism ever since the 70s.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DStecks posted:

I don't know about masculinity, but I think 'nerd culture' going mainstream is an interesting point. The Marvel Film Universe and Nolan Batman films really shot superhero franchises into mainstream culture, and I think there's always resentment when something like that happens. It's the 'I liked it before it was cool' point; a lot of people who grew up or were familiar with these things before they were widely known. Before it was this small, niche thing that you and a small group of people enjoyed, but now everybody's jumping on the bandwagon. Some people feel like they're losing part of the their individuality, or that the nuances of whatever it is in question is being sacrificed for mainstream appeal. I remember when the Nintendo Wii got popular, there was this fear that the kind of games that were typical up to that point would disappear, and the market would just be shallow, dumb-downed mini-game collection with gimmicky motion controls.

To be honest, I have an issue with 'nerd' or 'nerd culture. It's the same thing with 'gamer'; it's such a nebulous term. Like, what defines you as a nerd? It's the trope/cliche that 'oh, nerds are people who read comic books and play D&D and watch Star Wars', but now that things like that are becoming more mainstream, does that still apply?

To me, it's always been more of a separation between the average person and the enthusiast. A lot of people grew up playing games like Mario Bros. and Doom, and they see stuff like the NES Classic or the new Doom and think 'Oh wow, I remember playing that back in nineteen-ninety-whatever' and that's where it ends. Meanwhile on the enthusiast side, you have people lamenting the fact that the NES Classic has a limited selection of games and doesn't allow you to play more obscure titles, or are still playing Doom via source ports. People go to see The Avengers and walk out and go, 'Well, that was fun. Don't know who that big purple guy at end was.' Meanwhile, people who have been reading comics for years will recognize that it was Thanos, and try to guess what comic arcs or story-lines they'll adapt for the next film.

Hell, look at this very thread. How many people do you know in your neighborhood who spend their days seeking out old, obscure movies to review on the internet? How many people make hour-and-a-half long videos talking about the problems with the story-telling in Fallout 3? In contrast, how many people who played Fallout 3 went back and played the original two games? Of all the people who spend their evening playing games like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft also watch videos analyzing the design approaches in those games, or know the histories of the developers? The average person doesn't know what kinaesthetics are, or who Derek Jarman is, or that the Hulk used to be grey.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not to mention that futurism or its later permutation singularity-ism are both literally schools of fascist thought. So even just the very popular nerd fantasy of "smart people should be in charge to make everything better" inherently feeds into being fascist. If you need any further proof just check out Moviebob's twitter.

I think the election really sent Bob off the deep end. I don't like Trump either, but some of the stuff Bob has said on Twitter is kind of disturbing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This thread literally disgusts me. It's like LF without any modicum of irony.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

DStecks posted:

Hasn't Gor been around since forever, though? Even without that, a lot of sci-fi is about white men colonising the universe. That's the whole era the sulky pups wanted the Hugos to return to, after all.

Oh, nice. This sounds fascinating.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hobo By Design posted:

Hell, even Star Trek is about the not-military going into space and shooting or :techno: the weird space bullshit of the week.
Mostly agree but Star Trek is a lot closer to vanguardism communists being tankies all over outer space.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Beefstew posted:

Salty Beefstew :salt:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Beefstew posted:

:gb2gbs:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what is LF

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
So, how about those internet critics, hey?

I was happy when a 'proper' Retsuprae turned up in my feed the other day. It's Gamera and it looks like a fun game that I'd like to play but the cutscenes are something else!.

I say 'proper' RP because I wasn't a fan of the 'kickstarter nonstarter' videos they did, but then my autoplay kicked in and I was exposed to the glory of CageHat which is amazing. I'ma gonna watch the others today while I'm up to my elbows in sellotape and wrapping paper.

Speaking of Kickstarters Guru Larry's crossover with Slopeed Games about the worst kickstarter calamities came to a head with the YogsCast Game.

And two complete losers watched a lovely Hallmark christmas film

VVV INTERNET CRITICS!! :argh: VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 20, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

not enough people talking unironically about maoist third worldism to be LF

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

As an agent of JDPON I'm bringing Kimble Justice doing a skype interview with one of the more notorious C64 composers:

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/809699064900186113

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laissez Faire, the original incarnation of the C-SPAM/Your Candidate Sucks/ect. D&D subforum. Think FYAD but for politics. The admins nuked it years ago because something something RONDPAUL20EVENTUALLY but it came back for the election.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

actually it got nuked because it made the secret service pay lowtax a visit lmao

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Max Wilco posted:

I think the election really sent Bob off the deep end. I don't like Trump either, but some of the stuff Bob has said on Twitter is kind of disturbing.

Yeah, his political opinions can get really disturbing, especially when he starts talking about how he should not have to treat people who disagree with him politically as human beings. When people who think this get into power, watch out.

Anyway, Phelous will be tackling the Chrstmas Tree soon, the 1991 special BOTW watched last year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kaleidolia posted:

Hasn't Gor been around since forever, though? Even without that, a lot of sci-fi is about white men colonising the universe. That's the whole era the sulky pups wanted the Hugos to return to, after all.

Oh, nice. This sounds fascinating.

Foundation is about how underappreciated engineers and mathematicians are so smart and logical that they can figure out how to predict the future and trick the powerful, vain politicians who never appreciated or dated them into starting their own better civilization while the regular one reverts to barbarism. Also there are no women in their ideal future civilization.

Also Isaac Asimov was famous for grabbing women's asses and boobs at science fiction conventions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know about masculinity, but I think 'nerd culture' going mainstream is an interesting point. The Marvel Film Universe and Nolan Batman films really shot superhero franchises into mainstream culture, and I think there's always resentment when something like that happens. It's the 'I liked it before it was cool' point; a lot of people who grew up or were familiar with these things before they were widely known. Before it was this small, niche thing that you and a small group of people enjoyed, but now everybody's jumping on the bandwagon. Some people feel like they're losing part of the their individuality, or that the nuances of whatever it is in question is being sacrificed for mainstream appeal. I remember when the Nintendo Wii got popular, there was this fear that the kind of games that were typical up to that point would disappear, and the market would just be shallow, dumb-downed mini-game collection with gimmicky motion controls.

To be honest, I have an issue with 'nerd' or 'nerd culture. It's the same thing with 'gamer'; it's such a nebulous term. Like, what defines you as a nerd? It's the trope/cliche that 'oh, nerds are people who read comic books and play D&D and watch Star Wars', but now that things like that are becoming more mainstream, does that still apply?

To me, it's always been more of a separation between the average person and the enthusiast. A lot of people grew up playing games like Mario Bros. and Doom, and they see stuff like the NES Classic or the new Doom and think 'Oh wow, I remember playing that back in nineteen-ninety-whatever' and that's where it ends. Meanwhile on the enthusiast side, you have people lamenting the fact that the NES Classic has a limited selection of games and doesn't allow you to play more obscure titles, or are still playing Doom via source ports. People go to see The Avengers and walk out and go, 'Well, that was fun. Don't know who that big purple guy at end was.' Meanwhile, people who have been reading comics for years will recognize that it was Thanos, and try to guess what comic arcs or story-lines they'll adapt for the next film.

Hell, look at this very thread. How many people do you know in your neighborhood who spend their days seeking out old, obscure movies to review on the internet? How many people make hour-and-a-half long videos talking about the problems with the story-telling in Fallout 3? In contrast, how many people who played Fallout 3 went back and played the original two games? Of all the people who spend their evening playing games like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft also watch videos analyzing the design approaches in those games, or know the histories of the developers? The average person doesn't know what kinaesthetics are, or who Derek Jarman is, or that the Hulk used to be grey.

Does he also believe that intelligence is highly heritable and that there are certain biotruths that predict the natural superiority of fat white (self-loathing, depressed, anxious, antisocial) men with big greasy ponytails?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
:confused: People in this thread are reacting as if MovieBob's opinions are or ever were thought-out, insightful, relevant or worthy of any consideration. The man's an idiot.

Just in case you need reminding, I'll leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The actual 'review' starts at 6.10, FYI.

gently caress it, just click any 'Game Overthinker' video.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I was watching an HP Lovecraft Doc on youtube and it was funny how much Neil Gaiman was lovely on his prose and the comments were all "Man gently caress Neil Gaiman, what an elitist snob" :qq:

It was a fun doc though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

KayTee posted:

So, how about those internet critics, hey?

I was happy when a 'proper' Retsuprae turned up in my feed the other day. It's Gamera and it looks like a fun game that I'd like to play but the cutscenes are something else!.

I say 'proper' RP because I wasn't a fan of the 'kickstarter nonstarter' videos they did, but then my autoplay kicked in and I was exposed to the glory of CageHat which is amazing. I'ma gonna watch the others today while I'm up to my elbows in sellotape and wrapping paper.

Speaking of Kickstarters Guru Larry's crossover with Slopeed Games about the worst kickstarter calamities came to a head with the YogsCast Game.

And two complete losers watched a lovely Hallmark christmas film

VVV INTERNET CRITICS!! :argh: VVV

Do yourself a favour type busco quandary RP into the search bar, and watch all three nonstarters.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Has the word degenerate been thrown around on this thread yet

If not, good, we should limit its use to describing codons

Speaking of old news, hardcore kid is still reviewing poo poo

Is it 2011 again :allears:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

KayTee posted:

:confused: People in this thread are reacting as if MovieBob's opinions are or ever were thought-out, insightful, relevant or worthy of any consideration. The man's an idiot.

I tried to watch this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Violet_Sky posted:

I tried to watch this.

chump

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

KayTee posted:

before 6:10 is, a literal summary of his story-line thus far. Even Linkara knows to be concise on those things.

That video was painful as gently caress. They made Super Mario 2 in the US cause we were babies and could not handle the true SMB2.

His pinned tweet for a long time was him crowing that he got that verified check-mark. One day i will do a review of his book.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

Yeah, his political opinions can get really disturbing, especially when he starts talking about how he should not have to treat people who disagree with him politically as human beings. When people who think this get into power, watch out

Lol if you don't make potential girlfriends take the Gom Jabbar.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

PassTheRemote posted:

One day i will do a review of his book.

If you do, remember you brought it on yourself. No one else will be to blame.

Baka-nin posted:

Do yourself a favour type busco quandary RP into the search bar, and watch all three nonstarters.

Thankyou so much! :D

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Violet_Sky posted:

I tried to watch this.

I tried skipping.... was that a four-minute storyline summary?

Goddamn, that poorly lit room.

e: Actually, everything that features him in person seems poorly shot in general, even for internet talky videos.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 20, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HitB: Rogue One

:siren:IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:siren:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jimbot posted:

HitB: Rogue One

:siren:IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:siren:

Oh, they actually liked it?

I'll be honest. I stopped watching half in the bag and stick to just best of the worst

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

before 6:10 is, a literal summary of his story-line thus far. Even Linkara knows to be concise on those things.

I skipped to 6:10 thinking the storyline was over and they were still talking about that stupid story. Linkara kept his storylines at the beginning and the end

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

BigRed0427 posted:

I'll be honest. I stopped watching half in the bag and stick to just best of the worst

They did not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Nah, they didn't care for it that much. They didn't think the characters were memorable and the drama was only skin deep that felt forced. They also took umbrage from the tone, but I kind of expected that sort of criticism from them seeing how any deviation from expectation is considered bad or, at best, misguided. But the gags in the review itself is well worth watching it, even if you find the tone policing they tend to do tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

PassTheRemote posted:

That video was painful as gently caress. They made Super Mario 2 in the US cause we were babies and could not handle the true SMB2.

His pinned tweet for a long time was him crowing that he got that verified check-mark. One day i will do a review of his book.

For some reason, that summation just makes me think of the Irate Gamer "scandal" review of Super Mario 2.

I'm trying to watch this actual review and he loses me within like ten seconds. Was the original Super Mario Bros really that important around the time of Super Mario 2?

• Locked thread