Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

There's free DLC that adds new gameplay features, the paid DLC is just new maps, weapons and achievements. You can also play the paid DLC stuff without owning it if you join someone else's game and they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Dave Angel posted:

There's free DLC that adds new gameplay features, the paid DLC is just new maps, weapons and achievements. You can also play the paid DLC stuff without owning it if you join someone else's game and they do.

Cool, thanks :)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got the orange Deep Pockets trinket yesterday. Is the AI smart enough to rifle through poo poo with that? (I'm guessing no, but after health share and fish, it's hard to get a third trinket that makes a difference on a bot)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I assume if I abandon a Quest and pick up a new one, my progress will not transfer over? I'm about to finish my first Quest and it's a Swiftbow I don't particularly care for, and the Greatsword up today looks real nice.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got the orange Deep Pockets trinket yesterday. Is the AI smart enough to rifle through poo poo with that? (I'm guessing no, but after health share and fish, it's hard to get a third trinket that makes a difference on a bot)

No the AI is not smart enough to rifle through items with the cylindrical box. I usually give my bots the gas resistance trinket because they're also not smart enough to stay out of the dang poison gas clouds.

Pierson posted:

I assume if I abandon a Quest and pick up a new one, my progress will not transfer over? I'm about to finish my first Quest and it's a Swiftbow I don't particularly care for, and the Greatsword up today looks real nice.

Yeah it won't transfer over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They don't have special AI for it but it will trigger on things they pick up

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of whom what difficulty can the the AI handle, realistically? Normal is fine, it feels like they could manage Hard if you gave them good weapons and trinkets/perks that don't rely on item management. Nightmare above though I can't see them doing it without half the tricks players use.

Also does the game take levels into account when matchmaking, and does matchmaking use a different player pool from the actual server browser? It feels like most of my successful Hard/Nightmare runs come from manually searching via the browser rather than just letting matchmaking do its thing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Nightmare is doable, but you have to really babysit the bots and know the levels. Stormvermin will destroy them, as will globadiers, so you'll need to be responsible for killing those as soon as they appear. Give them all the health share on heal trinket, and gear that boosts block and shove (so second wind, improved pommel, etc). They're quite good at not taking damage while their stamina lasts but go down fast when it runs out (which is why Stormvermin murder them). But they suck at actually killing things, so take some AOE too.

You probably want to play as the Bright Wizard because Siennabot is awful. Kruberbot is also pretty bad and will die on you a lot, especially with a 2 hander. Give Kruber and Bardin handguns and they'll pull some amazing 360 noscope shenanigans though

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'm still running the fix that makes Saltzpyre take Sienna's place did they make her able to use the other non-Bolt Staves?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
nah she still sucks at anything not bolt-staff, but the changes to the bolt staff means that she uses them better than before, so

e: also, the bots can fundamentally handle Nightmare just fine, but as was said, you need to be able to work with them. Some random stuff off the top of my head.

- Remember that they use whatever gear you have that character equipped with in the inn, so don't neglect Kerillian just because you hate her like I do. They need oranges too in order to work.
- Bots work best with fast, high stamina gear. Bardin and Kruber do much better with sword and board vs two hander, and Kerillian will do much better with not-glaive. Sienna REALLY needs a mace because the power attack on the sword has a really weird delay in coming out - Sienna cocks her wrist for a noticeable moment before the power attack comes out, and that seems to mess with the timing the bots have in mind. I noticed Sienna taking MUCH less damage after I switched her to a mace.
- Bots like to push, a lot. Devastating Blow is a good trait for their gear even if the gain isn't much because they will continue to push regardless. Similarly, Perfect Balance also is nice on them because they use a fair bit of their stamina by block-pushing.
- Bots hate stacking and will spread out a bit in battle. So when working with them, you need to favor strategies that give you a small zone of control rather than are strictly cornering up - as an example, for the Horn of Magnus finale, do not hang out in the small window depression the way players prefer. The bots will range out and get swarmed almost immediately. Instead hang out on the upper platform near the horn, and they will acquit themselves admirably.
- As was said, occasionally they will screw up and hang out in a Globadier cloud. Anti-Globadier trinkets will be a big headache reliever.
- Bots always get headshots when they shoot their weapons, but do not pull them out that often. Handguns are the best for Kruber and Bardin, Trueflight and Bolt are best for Kerillian and Sienna.
- Bots don't handle jumping puzzles very well. Avoid shortcuts that require jumping if you're going to be under pressure while doing them (Waterfront comes most to mind here). They will, however, teleport to you if pathfinding fails, so shortcuts that can be done outside of a horde are perfectly kosher.
- Bots will not heal under pressure. Combat revives don't necessarily make a lot of sense because they will wait for the horde to be over to heal. A heal-share trinket on you will be more crucial than normal to fix white bleed-outs in a pinch.

I'm sure there's more that I'm not remembering right now but that's the biggest rundown. The bots are very helpful when they're worked with properly, but they have their own set of quirks.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 20, 2016

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I'm still running the fix that makes Saltzpyre take Sienna's place did they make her able to use the other non-Bolt Staves?

What fix is this?

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Pierson posted:

Speaking of whom what difficulty can the the AI handle, realistically? Normal is fine, it feels like they could manage Hard if you gave them good weapons and trinkets/perks that don't rely on item management. Nightmare above though I can't see them doing it without half the tricks players use.

I'm not a great player, but I can finish any level (usually with tomes and a grim) on Hard with three bots. Nightmare is definitely a lot less consistent and I find that the longer levels are tougher because the bots don't ration healing very well. In addition to what Coolguye said, the bots just do not know how to fight Stormvermin. One on one they'll usually win, but a Stormvermin that has even one clan rat around to help it can sometimes down all three of them. You really, really have to prioritize killing Storms yourself, so factor that into your loadout.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bots have problems with Storms because they still use their usual "block then push" tactics that they use against everything else. Blocking storms is non-ideal, and pushing doesn't work very well against them. You can improve their success rate with Perfect Balance and DevBlow to some extent, but yeah, you can generally assume that you're going to need to mop up blackrats. On Nightmare carrying something to wound them really bad (like a body shot from a handgun) is generally enough for the odd one out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For that reason bots just got massively weaker because there is a ridiculous number of stormvermin now

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I find bots (naturally, really) have a harder time coming back from gently caress You scenarios than human players too - things where a packmaster and an assassin spawn in the middle of a hoard, things where one person might be expected to pull a victory out of their rear end but the bots are just gonna swing like a windmill until the You Fail noise places.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Got an orange hammer/shield last night. Did anything get changed about that in the melee rebalance? Still seems to charge attack much slower than the axe/shield.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the primary now hits more rats but the secondary on the hammer/shield is unchanged. i generally don't recommend it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Hammer & Shield is, like all weapons, viable but it's slower than the Axe & Shield and I wouldn't use it on Cataclysm unless you had the Red one, which comes with Killing Blow. The Axe & Shield is superior in every way if you don't have the Red H&S though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, mace and hammer shields are totally useable on non-cata difficulties, just gotta use the primary attacks more because the shield bash isn't as good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
One more thing on Nightmare botchat - the best map for practice is probably Ramparts. It's short, has minimal variance (the only significant thing is where the pack of Stormvermin spawn), has no Roger and is full of defensible corridors.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 20, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah, mace and hammer shields are totally useable on non-cata difficulties, just gotta use the primary attacks more because the shield bash isn't as good.

It is just plain inexplicable to me why that's the case, too.

I mean you're already giving up the excellent anti-Roger/Stormvermin heavy bonk of a 1h mace/hammer for better crowd control, why make one of the best crowd control attacks in the game shittier for the ultimate crowd control weapon setup?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just got that red bolt staff. The lack of a heal is unexciting but does the Inspirational Headshot and chance for automatic headshots work together enough to redeem it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I don't think Skull Cracker works on that one :v:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why the gently caress would they...

ffs fatshark

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Could do with default heals or a heal trinket at this point

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Speaking of reds, I picked up the Red arming sword last night for Kruber. Swift Slaying normal, regrowth charged, heroic killing blow. Granted the latter two are at hilariously low chances at 3-4%, but I kind of wanted to try out his arming sword anyways, if it winds up being identical to the wizard sword I think I'd be ok with it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I have that. I think the traits are poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathSandwich posted:

Speaking of reds, I picked up the Red arming sword last night for Kruber. Swift Slaying normal, regrowth charged, heroic killing blow. Granted the latter two are at hilariously low chances at 3-4%, but I kind of wanted to try out his arming sword anyways, if it winds up being identical to the wizard sword I think I'd be ok with it.

You can get one with Bloodlust, Swift Slaying Charged, and Perfect Balance or Off Balance from getting an orange.

And yes, Kruber's arming sword is a 100% legit choice now and it owns.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The board throws up poo poo choices yet again.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Hello, I got this game cause it was on sale for Midweek Madness, and I'm new and bad at killin' rats. What are some good resources, tips, and tricks for a newbie like me?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

clockwork chaos posted:

Hello, I got this game cause it was on sale for Midweek Madness, and I'm new and bad at killin' rats. What are some good resources, tips, and tricks for a newbie like me?

Don't take damage. When you take damage, try and figure out what happened that caused you to take damage. Also there's a long effortpost someone did that'll be a lot more in depth than that, but that is actually a good guiding principle.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

clockwork chaos posted:

Play on normal and block every time you're not in a fight if you are using a one-handed weapon without a shield. Also block every time you are picking up items or standing idle.

Outside of that just stay close to your team and try to not die while making Skaven very dead. This is a very technical game that takes a while to get used to. Until you start unlocking stuff in game like the Forge and Altar plus getting new weapons there's not a whole lot more to say.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

clockwork chaos posted:

#1 tip the game never tells you: blocking defends you from attacks from all 360 degrees. Shoving rats shoves them away from you 360 degrees.

More good tips by rat-slaying success story Digirat

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There has been a report of a bug where the Faster Revive trinket just stops working for no reason.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

clockwork chaos posted:

Game good, kill rats.

Honestly health is the most important thing. Try not to lose health. Not losing health is slightly more important than killing rats.

Learn to both dodge and block. Never top looking behind you. Keep looking around a lot, actually. Remember that it's way easier to keep somebody else's butt clear than it is to keep your own butt clear, and if everybody did nobody would ever get randomly downed from a single clanrat poking the rear guy in the back.

One of the most technical skill based things in the game is learning when to swing and learning when not to swing. If you get caught up in an animation the game sometimes won't let you switch weapons or block quite as quickly as if you were idle. That said, spamming left click will get you through the lower difficulties.

Don't run ahead of the group. Try to make sure the group is together. I can't count the number of times I've lost because an elf has run off alone ahead of the group. Likewise, keep in mind the guy in the back is probably getting hosed by rats and you should probably go check on him if you haven't heard from him in a while.

Did you know how stormvermin packs work? Do you understand the Tome/Grim loot system yet?

Also: strength potions give you armor piercing which will save your bacon if you get overwhelmed by stormvermin.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

#1 tip the game never tells you: blocking defends you from attacks from all 360 degrees. Shoving rats shoves them away from you 360 degrees.

More good tips by rat-slaying success story Digirat

Someone told me that blocking and pushing enemies 360 degrees around you only happens with a shield, is that incorrect?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gunder posted:

Someone told me that blocking and pushing enemies 360 degrees around you only happens with a shield, is that incorrect?

Yes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A full half the contracts today (and 100% of key contracts) are DLC locked today. Not loving cool.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A full half the contracts today (and 100% of key contracts) are DLC locked today. Not loving cool.

I *think* you can join DLC games if just the host has them. There was a confused low level guy in my (hosted) group today who hadn't seen Drachenfels before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah but it has to be a friend or you have to stalk somebody and join from their steam profile page if you happen to have an inkling that they're on DLC.

Ultimately they're saying that it's okay for the very existence of DLC to literally remove content from the base game that I already paid for.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 22, 2016

• Locked thread