Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
T-teeth....:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Reinanigans posted:

I love SH Figuarts (I have RotJ Luke, Vader, and the diorama) but K-2SO barely looks any different between his Black Series and Figuarts versions, but their price tags sure do.

You should look into the MAFEX Vader... I went hands on with both and honestly it's kinda jarring how much better the MAFEX is.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Speaking of Stormtroopers, I recently grabbed the Bandai kit Stormtrooper and that thing seriously impressed me.

Fwoosh's review of it here- http://thefwoosh.com/2015/01/bandai-star-wars-stormtrooper-112-scale-model-kit-review

But yeah, I love it. I've always wanted to stay away from army building but I'm seriously considering throwing $20 at one of these things every now and again between the big ML and BS waves.

It's got the perfect look as far as I'm concerned. The plastic used for the models is glossy and the proportions are perfect. It's highly poseable just like all the model kits and yeah. Not much more I can really say beyond Fwoosh's review but I was impressed.

By far the easiest build I've had between 3PO and Vader too. After putting those two together (especially 3PO) this thing was a breeze and I snapped him together in about 45 min to an hour while watching TV. The decals went on super easy too, though I am more practiced at putting them on now compared to earlier models. I now know to use tweezers which help a lot.

Either way highly recommended. Amazon link here - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Storm...ai+stormtrooper

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Fuzz posted:

You should look into the MAFEX Vader... I went hands on with both and honestly it's kinda jarring how much better the MAFEX is.

I was just about to buy the MAFEX Vader (despite having BS and Model Vader) until I pictures of MAFEX's upcoming Rogue One Vader which kind of blew me away. Comparison shot here http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2965956#p2965956

That's not the most flattering picture of the MAFEX Vader as I've seen it look way better in other shots, and that's likely a promo image of the RO Vader and not the final product. Something worth considering though. MAFEX just blew it out of the water with their Boba Fett ESB and ROTJ releases.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ShimSham posted:

I was just about to buy the MAFEX Vader (despite having BS and Model Vader) until I pictures of MAFEX's upcoming Rogue One Vader which kind of blew me away. Comparison shot here http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2965956#p2965956

That's not the most flattering picture of the MAFEX Vader as I've seen it look way better in other shots, and that's likely a promo image of the RO Vader and not the final product. Something worth considering though. MAFEX just blew it out of the water with their Boba Fett ESB and ROTJ releases.

I wish the cod piece on the RO one was on the V1 because it looks way better but those arms look like they're literally the wrong scale... too thin and too short. Helmet scale is a little too big, I think... The V1 helmet has a good scale when seen in person, it's just the dome bit sits a little high, but that's easily fixed by breaking the inner tab off slightly (I think it was the Fwoosh or Shartimus review where he did this mid video accidentally and it worked out well).

They're also saying the RO one is shorter than V1 slightly which sucks since the V1 is already a little too short in scale with the Figuarts Luke. It's more an issue that the SHF RotJ Luke is too tall (Mark Hamill is really short), but it's still acceptable when displayed. I linked a pic of my current setup earlier in this thread, but I'll probably be changing up their poses this weekend if someone wants to see a scale comparison.

Another issue is the RO may not come with the severed hand attachment or the maskless head.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I dunno. People point out these differences between the different Vader's, and the only obvious stinker to me is the BS Vader. Sell me on the Mafex, 'cause as it stands, I love the look and feel of my Figuarts Vader.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

sanjuro42 posted:

Were there flaws in the original Strm Trooper?

There were apparently a few, primarily related to the helmet being wrong and overall posability. I never had the original trooper, and I'm apparently not obsessive enough about the design to notice the flaws when I look at it in pictures. It was one of the first ones they did, right behind Vader, so I guess they figured they should take the excuse of Rogue One to have another go at it without blatantly saying its a version 2.

Reinanigans posted:

I love SH Figuarts (I have RotJ Luke, Vader, and the diorama) but K-2SO barely looks any different between his Black Series and Figuarts versions, but their price tags sure do.

A fair point. Then again on HLJ the K-2SO figure itself was all of $35, when apparently Black Series retail price is $20? So the difference isn't quite that severe. Shipping is what gets you, but if you get more than one thing you can spread that out to help with it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

I dunno. People point out these differences between the different Vader's, and the only obvious stinker to me is the BS Vader. Sell me on the Mafex, 'cause as it stands, I love the look and feel of my Figuarts Vader.

https://youtu.be/HOLqE7okerE

I think that's the one that itemizes it well. Not being able to have Vader kneel with the Figuarts was the deal breaker for me.

All of the toy stores in my area are complete poo poo. Any awesome goon willing to grab me Symbiote Spidey and Green Goblin at non-gouger prices? BBTS is sold out on GG because I'm dumb and figured they would list the figures at the top of the list when searching new releases, and I kept seeing the box sales and not any of the individual figures so I thought they just weren't breaking up the boxes on pre-order because they would just sell the leftover stuff individually. Yes, I'm dumb. BBTS has exorbitant shipping prices to me which makes buying most single items or anything under $50 not worth it (7 bucks to ship Spidey to me... gently caress you BBTS), so if anyone has alternative suggestions that aren't Amazon, I'm all ears.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Fuzz posted:

https://youtu.be/HOLqE7okerE

I think that's the one that itemizes it well. Not being able to have Vader kneel with the Figuarts was the deal breaker for me.

All of the toy stores in my area are complete poo poo. Any awesome goon willing to grab me Symbiote Spidey and Green Goblin at non-gouger prices? BBTS is sold out on GG because I'm dumb and figured they would list the figures at the top of the list when searching new releases, and I kept seeing the box sales and not any of the individual figures so I thought they just weren't breaking up the boxes on pre-order because they would just sell the leftover stuff individually. Yes, I'm dumb. BBTS has exorbitant shipping prices to me which makes buying most single items or anything under $50 not worth it (7 bucks to ship Spidey to me... gently caress you BBTS), so if anyone has alternative suggestions that aren't Amazon, I'm all ears.

Why no Amazon? It trivializes the figure hunt.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have the MAFEX Vader, and it's a pretty solid figure. He was also fairly inexpensive, ~$35 on Amazon IIRC. I'm not a huge fan of the rubbery hands vs rigid plastic hands, but I had him posed without a stand or support for several months and he never fell over or dropped an accessory. I should probably put him back out, now that I have a ROTJ Luke.

I really wish Figuarts or MAFEX or someone would do a Tarkin. I'd even settle for Black Series at this point.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MooselanderII posted:

Why no Amazon? It trivializes the figure hunt.

Last I saw Green Goblin was going for nearly $50 on Amazon.

I would just wait, after the holidays they're going to be affordable and easy to find in stores, almost guaranteed.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

The next time that Link Between Worlds Figma figure is $27 someone please PM me. I can't believe I missed that :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

epsilon posted:

The next time that Link Between Worlds Figma figure is $27 someone please PM me. I can't believe I missed that :(

Get camelizer/camelcamelcamel it sets price alerts for products on Amazon, and emails you when it reaches your desired targets. There's a chrome add on.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Deadpool is complete

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got my cheap rear end giganto Legends

Not bad considering they were $25 for the pair. Cap is gonna get a decent spot on my shelves, dunno if Tony is worth displaying.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
If they had just made a new Galactus/Apocalypse/Sentinel etc, they wouldn't have had to cancel and put these things on clearance so quickly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Figuarts characters I want next:

Cowboy Bebop. All of them.
Mr Satan
Mr Popo
North Kai (with Bubbles and Jeremy)
ESB Han Solo
ESB Luke with severed hand and Yoda backpack
Emperor Palpatine

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I keep going back and forth on that Iron Man 12" figure. It's so cheap but I'm just not sure about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I keep going back and forth on that Iron Man 12" figure. It's so cheap but I'm just not sure about it

Eh, it's alright I guess.

For $12.50 (I'm averaging) I can't complain. Really wish the Spidey would drop that low.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fuzz posted:

Figuarts characters I want next:

Cowboy Bebop. All of them.
Mr Satan
Mr Popo
North Kai (with Bubbles and Jeremy)
ESB Han Solo
ESB Luke with severed hand and Yoda backpack
Emperor Palpatine

...do you mean Gregory?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

...do you mean Gregory?

... Yes. I'm tired and been at work for the last 18 hours. :gonk:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Double post

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ShimSham posted:

If they had just made a new Galactus/Apocalypse/Sentinel etc, they wouldn't have had to cancel and put these things on clearance so quickly.

Well I think they were trying to go after the 1:6 market but with that quality and those prices they were never going to get anywhere. $50 bucks MSRP for what is effectively a upscaled 6 inch figure is insane. What Hasbro I think figured out is if you are going to go after the 12 inch market you need to bring your A+++ game because everyone else is.

When they did the Gigantic Battles or whatever they called them with Galactus, Sentinel and whatnot they figured out that they can never be a huge success because collectors are going to buy a single Galactus or Giant-man and then the rest will sit on the shelves. When they had something that you could army build like Sentinel they saddled it with needless lights and sound gimmicks and then didn't give the color scheme that everyone wanted at retail.

As much as I would love Hasbro to do larger characters, there just isn't a way for them to get them out there that they can make any money on them. I wish Marvel Select would take a chance on one once and see how it would go. I think their business model could support it much easier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Djarum posted:

Well I think they were trying to go after the 1:6 market but with that quality and those prices they were never going to get anywhere. $50 bucks MSRP for what is effectively a upscaled 6 inch figure is insane. What Hasbro I think figured out is if you are going to go after the 12 inch market you need to bring your A+++ game because everyone else is.

When they did the Gigantic Battles or whatever they called them with Galactus, Sentinel and whatnot they figured out that they can never be a huge success because collectors are going to buy a single Galactus or Giant-man and then the rest will sit on the shelves. When they had something that you could army build like Sentinel they saddled it with needless lights and sound gimmicks and then didn't give the color scheme that everyone wanted at retail.

As much as I would love Hasbro to do larger characters, there just isn't a way for them to get them out there that they can make any money on them. I wish Marvel Select would take a chance on one once and see how it would go. I think their business model could support it much easier.

I've always wondered, would it be easier to do larger figures is they sold them as build-a-figures parts in a single pack? You know, put all the pieces in a single package, and have the buyer put them together?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That wouldn't be any cheaper at all, and would look terrible at retail because people would think it's a broken toy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've said some bad and hurtful things about DC Icons in the past and I would like to apologize for these remarks and state that actually, DC Icons are extremely cool and good toys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

purple death ray posted:

I've said some bad and hurtful things about DC Icons in the past and I would like to apologize for these remarks and state that actually, DC Icons are extremely cool and good toys.

I'm really looking forward to their Static figure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Marvel Select was promising reveals of two new figures in late December. I was holding out hope for some combination of Daredevil (comic or Netflix), Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, but instead they announced something that I didn't necessarily want, but they'll probably sell better:

http://marvelousnews.com/news.php?catid=252&itemid=21050

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Marvel Select was promising reveals of two new figures in late December. I was holding out hope for some combination of Daredevil (comic or Netflix), Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, but instead they announced something that I didn't necessarily want, but they'll probably sell better:

http://marvelousnews.com/news.php?catid=252&itemid=21050

Lame that there's no Gamora (Why does Marvel Selects hate women so much?), and also the general statement of how it's sad Diamond Selects look so good but have such garabge articulation/balancing.

I have become so spoiled with Japanese figures.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Lame that there's no Gamora (Why does Marvel Selects hate women so much?), and also the general statement of how it's sad Diamond Selects look so good but have such garabge articulation/balancing.

I have become so spoiled with Japanese figures.

I only have three Marvel Select figures (modern Hawkeye, the newest classic Spidey, and that amazing comic/movie-hybrid Cap), and I love them so much, to the point where I've quit collecting Marvel Legends. I wish Select would make the three or four other characters I feel that I have to have, along with a do-over of Daredevil, since their first one was terrible. I feel like Selects have come a long way, just in the last two years.

It's pretty bad that they didn't make a Gamora, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

The new Batgirl with the bike is loving amazing. She comes with swappable heads and capes so it actually looks like she's riding the bike.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the promo pictures DCC puts out are just woefully awful representations of the icons. I started seeing some in hand pictures on Instagram and it was ridiculous how much better they looked. I was able to get Batman cheap on Amazon and he was cool enough for me to grab Joker and Harley and gently caress, those are great figures. Batman is still a bit too small, but I'm sure we'll get another Batman out of this line before too long.

I've got the Batgirl set on the way now after seeing how sweet this line actually is and I'm real excited.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

purple death ray posted:

I think the promo pictures DCC puts out are just woefully awful representations of the icons. I started seeing some in hand pictures on Instagram and it was ridiculous how much better they looked.

Speaking of the importance of posing, Revoltech Venom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

God drat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Guy Goodbody posted:

poo poo.

Do you have bigger versions of these pics?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

poo poo.

Do you have bigger versions of these pics?

No, I got it off the 4chan. SA automatically resizes pics, so you can see it in full size if you open the image in a new tab

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried to do some crazy poses here, but I don't think it worked too well. I couldn't get the lighting right, and the drat things kept falling down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yessss, this is why I have both Preordered. Can't wait to have Spidey and Deadpool team up on my shelf to fight Venom... right now Deadpool is making the rounds messing with all my DBZ Figuarts guys and my MAFEX Vader. I change up his pose like every 4-5 days, he's too much fun.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Davros1 posted:

I've always wondered, would it be easier to do larger figures is they sold them as build-a-figures parts in a single pack? You know, put all the pieces in a single package, and have the buyer put them together?

Sadly no. Assembly and honestly actual production are the two cheapest things about making toys. Your major sunk in costs are the actual tooling which is now cheaper than ever but still expensive, for your average figure likely around $150-$200k USD. It is a one time cost but expensive. Everything else is incredibly cheap; manufacturing and assembly in China, especially for someone like Hasbro that owns and operates their own factories, is dirt cheap. Oil is the cheapest it has been in decades so plastic is dirt cheap. Even complex paint apps like what are on some NECA, Select or Japanese stuff you are looking at pennies. Your average Legend figure is around $2.50-$3 USD to produce, sometimes even cheaper.

Where things get tricky is that a company like Hasbro doesn't do things small. For instance let's say they do a run of a large figure. For arguments sake let's also say they use the Mondo/3A/etc. model of doing preorders for the figure before they roll out production so they know exactly how many to produce and whatnot so they are not wasting a single dollar. Now we will say they sell 250k preorders at $100 USD each. Sunk in costs per figure will put it at $50 per figure so they are making a 50% profit which is a heafty profit margin. That is 12.5 million USD of profit. Now that sounds like a ton of money to you and me. But to a company like Hasbro that is nothing. They deal in orders from retailers in the millions of units and much more amount of profit coming back in return for this. As well as the profit margins are ridiculous and would be much lower in real life. The amount of work and money spend for such a small amount to come back is just not worth it to them. If you want a perfect example of this look at Mattel killing off the MOTU line. The amount of effort and money spent for the Matty Collector stuff wasn't worth the money they were bring in. Look at how fast Super7 swooped in to grab that line, it is hugely profitable to a small company but to a major player it is peanuts. Your best hope it that Diamond or a Japanese company decides to take a crack at them because Hasbro likely won't ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That weird Anti-Godzilla, NERV-made sort-of-an-Eva thing designed by the Metal Gear guy went up for pre-order and is coming out July of 2017. http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88024