Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cartoon crowd fund that Lesnick did was to cover his relocation costs back to Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy gently caress, who makes those videos?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Potato Salad posted:

A very angry config file editor.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The cartoon crowd fund that Lesnick did was to cover his relocation costs back to Austin.

hosed up if true. But after that one developer crowd funding his daughters hospital bill or whatever it is nothing would surprise me

You would think the 100+ million dollar company would offer to pay for that, it's way better use of the backers money than trips to Spain or Italy or wherever

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 20, 2016

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

XK posted:

On the topic of having regional servers around the world:

Since they are contracting Amazon for cloud servers, shouldn't this be Amazon's responsibility? Wouldn't Amazon be spinning up regionally distinct servers as needed? I don't know how Amazon's contracting works. Is having server time spun up around the world an additional fee/different contract from just buying North American server time? I'm thinking it probably does have a different cost, and the only obstacle is crobbler just doesn't want to pay it.

They just buy North American time.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

AP posted:

Logically I agree but Chris Roberts has raised $30k+ from dozens of people who aren't even legally classed as investors. It's possible there are really loving dumb investors out there that want a cut of console sales for something they assume will be good and he's found at least one of them, I can't see any other reason for all the year old console rumours. If money has been tight which it must have been since Star Marine I got binned in July 2015, why even think about consoles?

The difficulty in predicting what CIG will do is nobody sensible would have got themselves into this position to begin with. Even if people were throwing money at you to make a game based on promises, you'd just hire somebody competent to do it, not micro manage everything to death, get all your best staff to quit and then play movie director with luke skywalker plus pals in the most expensive movie studio in the world for months on end.

I think if one is a dumb investor then that guarantees that one won't be an investor for very long.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spermanent Record posted:

Just imagine having to think about "getting your money out" of a videogame.

Why was your money "in" a video game in the first place? What kind of child-like understanding of the world must you have to put your money "into" a videogame?

Just imagine being smug on the internet about having "invested" in video game spaceships.

Hint hint: gamers are manchildren

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Why was your money "in" a video game in the first place? What kind of child-like understanding of the world must you have to put your money "into" a videogame?

Just imagine being smug on the internet about having "invested" in video game spaceships.

Let them tell you:

"People are obsessed with having legal control, I am not.

I trust that Chris is not a scam artist, I believe, absent physical proof or control that he will do his best to deliver the best game that he can deliver with the resources he has been granted.

If he fails, oh well, that was a risk we all took together in giving him a collective $130 million dollars. I can watch my $2000 drift away and get on with my life.

The potential payoff of "the best damned space sim ever" is worth that risk to me. I understood from day one that it was a risk and when it looked shaky rather than cutting bait I doubled down, because from everything I see him say and do I trust that he is an autisitc nerd trying to make the holy grail of nerd-dom and I want to help.

I also believe as an author/artist myself that strict controls and oversight and intrusive accounting has a stifling effect on creativity and productivity. If you want someone to produce something beautiful from their own mind you cannot lean over their should nitpicking all the time, this kills the creative process. Even if you paid for the sculpture you have to gently caress off and let the sculptor be while it is being made."

:cool:
Need more ? Here:

"An opinion is not a fact no matter how many times you state it.

Your perspective tells you that $2000 is an enormous sum of money that should be spent on socially acceptable things. My perspective tells me that $2000 is an expendable sum of money that can be risked on a dream. Neither of us is wrong in our own context we only become wrong when we attempt to force our opinion into someone elses context.

I would be wrong to demand that you a poorfag spends $2000 on a game so that my dream will have more funding.

You are wrong to demand that I live according to your monetary ideals and spend money only on essentials. Just because you would not do a thing, does not make that thing wrong or stupid or irrational. Motivation is not objective and you are not the arbiter of rationality."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

The picture in question:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Hey! I was looking back at through the old thread and look at this post where Derek Smart was right!

But then sadly just 2 posts later there was this...

:ughh:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Chalks posted:

Although that's true, SQ42 is a single player story driven game where as IW and similar games are multiplayer with a single player campaign as a side dish. If you look at play time with a game like IW, 95% of time spent in game will be spent in multiplayer regardless of how much single player content you include.

Admittedly, it's just a prelude but I guarantee people will feel screwed over with a single hour of story and a bunch of filler because it's so obvious they're watering down their deliverables. It was meant to be that SQ42 was a single player campaign released to set the scene for the PU back in 2014. They've since had two more years to work on it and a poo poo load more funding, but the only visible differences appear to be a bunch of over paid and overblown Hollywood actors and the game itself being stretched out and watered down so much that it's basically transparent.

I mean seriously, at what rate are people meant to be expecting content for this game? 1 hour of story per year starting in 2017?

Not to mention, SQ42 was supposed to be the next "cash cow" to fund the rest of the PU.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Just landed the contract to do branding and promo for a large music festival yay!

Well done pgabz. Use some of your SC footage, that's bound to lift their spirits)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Like, seriously. This and the Kickstarter thread have just broken me.

What kind of loving idiot do you have to be to throw away your consumer rights, to buy products that don't exist yet, will probably be delayed, may never be delivered and will almost certainly be worse than what was initially promised.

Why would you spend even a second browsing products on websites that ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to flout consumer protection, advertising standards and post-sale protection regulations?!

How is it that, even years after these sites, first appeared, companies can just vanish with millions of dollars and nobody seems to care.

How many millions have just vanished out of kickstarter by now? Is it a billion yet? Has there ever been a scam on this scale before?

"I want SC to be as big and featured and ambitious as possible, and I put my money where my desires are, if everyone jsut bought the game for $35 if would be a much smaller, much less promising game than it is. Someone had to step up and fund the ambition, be the a small part of the patronage that allows art to happen. I and other like me are what let this game happen, my first pledge was not minimum it was a $120 freelancer that didn't even have concept art or stats, it was just a vague idea but as soon as a read the pitch for SC I knew this was a game I had been waiting a decade to play and I wanted to help make it happen, particularly given that there would be no MBA rear end in a top hat running the show from above to ruin it"

:classiclol:

"
And I actually will get to play a finished product.
You are making projections which have no basis in fact. Game development takes time, anyone who has even a rudimentary understanding of software production knows this. Four years is not a long time for the development of a top of the line game. The original timeline was unrealistically short and again, if your understood anything about development at the time you would have known that. I knew that the game was not going to be out in 2014, I still don't know when it will be finished, but that is not critical. The whole point of crowdfunding was to remove artificially imposed conditions and deadlines. That literally where this all started, Chris's previous titles suffered from external timetable forcing cuts to content and features."

:dogbutton:

"Triple A games take a bare minimum of 5 years to make, SC has been in actual development for three years, because the first was spent building studios and acquiring talent. In addition to that there were several major setback which slowed development such as the Illfonic mess.

On top of that SC is the single largest and most ambitious gaming project ever bar none.

Start complaining if we are not in beta two years from today, that will be the point where we have entered "unreasonable dev timeline" territory for this title."

:sludgepal:

And with backers like this many here in fact seriously doubt that CIG survives 2017?
lol
The SC Cult is the incarnation of denial.

CIG will show some S42 and 3.0 avis and demos in 2017 and this will fund them for 2018, and I am glad of it :yarg:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

The problem is though that once they start to show signs of struggling they will find it more difficult to make nerds part with their cash. There might be a short burst of extra pledges to try and keep the thing afloat but even shitizens will realise at that point they are throwing good money after bad.

They've left themselves in a massive quandary for that reason. They need to cut costs to buy time but they can't close any of the studios because it will prove that they've very concerned about running out of money. Besides, even if they could get away with chopping a studio, which would it be?

Can't close LA because it would look terrible and both Crobberts and Sandi want Hollywood.
Can't close Manchester because that's where Errin is and most of the work gets done.
Can't close Frankfurt because that's where all the Crytek guys are.
Could maybe close Texas but that probably won't save all that much in the big scheme of things.

That's why I still think this thing could end with a bang, not a whimper. They make one serious fuckup and the funding flatlines, within 2 months they can't pay salaries or bills and they're done. It's just a matter of watching what they are willing to do as they get more and more desperate to keep the $$$s rolling in.

Think that's it in a nutshell. Only thing I disagree on is which one they could afford to close. With Austin being mainly the network support guys, they lose them they really have issues. LA is about the only dead weight really.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Relocating customer support to Austin is going to save them so very little and the fact that they are doing it means that they know they aren't going to shut down Austin anytime soon. But its still hosed that they feel like they need to do that given the original move in the first place.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

AP posted:

Logically I agree but Chris Roberts has raised $30k+ from dozens of people who aren't even legally classed as investors. It's possible there are really loving dumb investors out there that want a cut of console sales for something they assume will be good and he's found at least one of them, I can't see any other reason for all the year old console rumours. If money has been tight which it must have been since Star Marine I got binned in July 2015, why even think about consoles?

The difficulty in predicting what CIG will do is nobody sensible would have got themselves into this position to begin with. Even if people were throwing money at you to make a game based on promises, you'd just hire somebody competent to do it, not micro manage everything to death, get all your best staff to quit and then play movie director with luke skywalker plus pals in the most expensive movie studio in the world for months on end.

Think the big stopper is that any investor for the type of money they need would require a look at the books first, as well as ask for a development plan and timeline, due diligence and all. And I suspect that would scare any big money away.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Been following Bettletech closely too, I am utterly stoked!

...so it's basically doomed now? :ohdear:

lethality hasn't tweeted about it at least

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Foo Diddley posted:

A Hairy Roberts is just a Manhattan with a pube in it

Not to be confused with a Hairy Thomas or a Hairy Temple

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

...?

A good Cymelion reply :psyduck:

Truly, these are the End Times.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
I am out - thanks moma for all the help!
No longer a star shitizen and I feel free. Can I still laugh and point now that I dont have skin in the game?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

quote:

As a long time Producer and Executive Producer, I can tell you that this is one of the best managed games I’ve ever been a part of and that my overall confidence is quite high. Of course, that experience also tells me that poo poo happens and to expect the unexpected. I’m still not worried, though. The BATTLETECH team’s ability to “improvise, adapt, and overcome” is fantastic and I’m impressed by their ability to efficiently and unflinchingly attack any problem they encounter.

Total. Hacks.

This is why big publishers must be done away with. :911: o7 Glory to the Stimpire o7 :911:

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 20, 2016

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

intardnation posted:

No longer a star shitizen and I feel free. Can I still laugh and point now that I dont have skin in the game?

Good job, commando o4

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

intardnation posted:

Of course, that's one of the stretch-goals for being a dirty leaver! Congrats on escaping.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

intardnation posted:

That's the best part Commando. Getting out of the cult feels good. Relish in the freedom!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

• had to cut one or several major characters from SQ42

Not Pusher!!! :negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I still have a hard time deciding if this or leonard skinly is peak thread, it's definitely one of those two though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Regular forum poster and YouTube celebrity/dancing cat Peter Gabriel is responsible for these works of art. I'm a bit sad we've not seen one on the latest live stream but I guess pgabz is busy doing more festive things.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
ROFL Guess they're really getting desperate, just received my PTU invite for 2.6k. Wonder if I should email them back reminding them I'm a dirty leaver and no longer have an account )

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Probably not. All of her apearance allow the crobblers to transform more of the backers money into salary paid. She would be the very last NPC to be cut

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

stay classy, reddit

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

When I was a kid I tried to jump over a barbed wire fence and it sliced my chode. Not terribly bad, but there was a doctor trip to check on uncle Pete. I never put money into SC.

Even a man that calls his penis "uncle Pete" doesn't invest in video gaem spaceships.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

So Gillian Anderson is def out of the Chris Roberts 2k16 masterpiece AAA fmv movie SQ42.

They decided to give Pusher more of a role.

Richie Stardust posted:

Even a man that calls his penis "uncle Pete" doesn't invest in video gaem spaceships.

So, do you call it uncle Pete, or does everyone else?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

intardnation posted:

I never had skin in this game. I still point and laugh. So, your call. Congrats on your narrow, but successful, escape!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

So Gillian Anderson is def out of the Chris Roberts 2k16 masterpiece AAA fmv movie SQ42.

Gary Oldman has been rumoured as wanting out of the project too

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ripptide posted:

ROFL Guess they're really getting desperate, just received my PTU invite for 2.6k. Wonder if I should email them back reminding them I'm a dirty leaver and no longer have an account )

The ToS allows them to email you in perpetuity, regardless of your account status, so they still have a chance to lure you back in and/or prove you wrong for saying there is no progress.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Mental illness is a terrible thing. :smith:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yes you know my name, it's me, the 390ms ping. Well lemme ask you something. Have you ever deskeletonized, or clipped through the door of your spaceship like I did the last 20 years every Sunday after church?

Have you ever been a member... of a Star Citizen society?

You know better than to try to imitate me,

CUZ I'M THE REAL POACHED WHALE CROBBLER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I backed this a few months ago and have thrown a couple hundred bucks at it.

After I tried to load up Star Citizen the other day to play with my JPEGs, it was apparent they had hosed something between the 2.5 servers and the purchases db.

I googled around. Hundreds of people having the same issue. No response from CIG.

I waited a day because I had done a similar thing at *LARGE SOFTWARE COMPANY* when migrating an old instance to different servers. Probably forgot to update server names/IPs somewhere.

Started to get worried a day later when there was still no response and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would move the 2.5 instance when testing 2.6. I mean 2.5 being the current live version, there would be zero reason to move it to test a branch.

Then I got paranoid because the only reason you'd do that is if you didn't have resources to concurrently run the two instances. It would be rear end backwards and loving retarded to break live, say oh well and tell everyone 2.6 is the new live and it will be available "soon".

But that is what looks like has happened.

That or they moved the servers hosting the purchases. Once again... Why?!

Long story short, I googled around and found this thread.

Feelin pretty stupid right now.