Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm ok with self-driving cars not having a steering wheel but i gotta draw the line at not having an accelerator. what if i need to smoke some guy at the stoplight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Google Chrysler self driving car

well i guess it's time to start studying for the LSAT.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i'm ok with self-driving cars not having a steering wheel but i gotta draw the line at not having an accelerator. what if i need to smoke some guy at the stoplight

That's what voice controls are for. "OK Google, cut this douchebag off."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

A CVT-powered supercharger! :byoscience:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/finally-a-cvt-that-makes-sense/?src=socialflowFB

seriously what the gently caress

edit: also i think :confuoot: belongs here

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 20, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Friar Zucchini posted:

More boost at all rpms!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

wargames posted:

More boost at all rpms!
More boost at one particular RPM because it's the one the computer likes best, more like.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Friar Zucchini posted:

More boost at one particular RPM because it's the one the computer likes best, more like.
More like computer selected boost regardless of rpm.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Increasing fueling and boost on demand at a given RPM sounds pretty good to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://apnews.com/5d15aba71eea4192aab219a83ca71ed5/GM-to-temporarily-close-5-factories-as-car-inventory-builds

RIP cars. also, cheap camaros soon

quote:

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors will temporarily close five factories next month as it tries to reduce a growing inventory of cars on dealer lots.

The factories will close anywhere from one to three weeks due to the ongoing U.S. market shift toward trucks and SUVs, spokeswoman Dayna Hart said Monday. Just over 10,000 workers will be idled.

The company's Detroit-Hamtramck factory and Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas City, Kansas, each will be shut down for three weeks, while a plant in Lansing, Michigan, will be down for two weeks. Factories in Lordstown, Ohio, and Bowling Green, Kentucky, each will be idled for one week.

The factories make most cars in the General Motors lineup including the Chevrolet Cruze, Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, Volt and Impala; the Cadillac CT6, CTS and ATS; and the Buick Lacrosse.

At the current sales pace, GM dealers have enough Malibus to last for 84 days and enough Camaros to last for 177 days, according to Ward's Automotive. Normally automakers like to have a 60-day supply on lots.

Last month, trucks and SUVs made up almost 62 percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S., a record level.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Friar Zucchini posted:

Finally a good place for a cvt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Am I alone in thinking "self driving" cars are the dumbest idea ever to happen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

euphronius posted:

No but consider that at worst a computer is probably still a better driver than the average human who's already out on the roads. If someone can be watching TV whilst being in a moving car I prefer they do it with someone else driving be it another person or a computer. And I actually had this happen, some lady pulled out on me from a side road without looking and I see her phone on her dashboard with her head turning to glance at it.

Self driving cars are a great idea assuming tech is good enough. Also a nice deterrent for poo poo drivers, take their license off them and force the dickheads to get places in a car they can't actively drive.

*edit: this is all a long way off being done properly.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 20, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I don't agree with any of that.

Maybe on limited access highways they could be all right. Some kind of advanced cruise control.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

It'll only work if they're on a roadway with only other self driving cars.

People are too unpredictable and dumb.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
That argument doesn't make any sense. You can say the tech isn't there yet ( it isn't) but a computer will be able to respond faster and in a more correct manner to unexpected events than a person.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
give me self-driving cars and mandatory yearly driving tests that relegate you to self-driving cars if you fail, and the same penalty for most moving violations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

give me self-driving cars and mandatory yearly driving tests that relegate you to self-driving cars if you fail, and the same penalty for most moving violations.

Yup, plus expanded public transportation in urban areas. The vast majority of people aren't better drivers than a self-driving car today, nor does that majority want to be actively driving in the first place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

euphronius posted:

Your can disagree all you want. It won't change the trend of the data being collected that says otherwise. Yes, we still need to collect even more data, but what we have so far is pretty damning.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah, the fact that there's absolutely no form of recurrent training or proficiency check for driving frightens the gently caress out of me. Yearly is maybe a bit much, but every two years (rising to yearly for people older than 60) sounds good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you aren't ok with our robotic future you are already too old, grandpa.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fyodor posted:

If you aren't ok with our robotic future you are already too old, grandpa.

Driving is fun. If the future ain't fun, I don't want to be in it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Deteriorata posted:

Driving is fun. If the future ain't fun, I don't want to be in it.

Driving a fun car around in a spirited manner is fun. Commuting is not.

I for one, welcome our self driving overlords.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nobody is saying you have to use a self-driving car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fyodor posted:

Nobody is saying you have to use a self-driving car.
Yet.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It'll be a while til you see all cars be truly automated anyways.

It'll start off as a luxury feature, then trickle it's way down into more common cars.

That's not including the whole poo poo show that'll happen the first time a car without a steering wheel gets someone killed though.

That'll push it back further.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

euphronius posted:

Maybe on limited access highways they could be all right. Some kind of advanced cruise control.

Disagree all you want, doesn't make you correct. Data says otherwise.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It'll only work if they're on a roadway with only other self driving cars.

People are too unpredictable and dumb.

I'll take one driver and one computer over two drivers. If people are too unpredictable and dumb having two of them makes that worse not better.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

KakerMix posted:

Disagree all you want, doesn't make you correct. Data says otherwise.

I'll take one driver and one computer over two drivers. If people are too unpredictable and dumb having two of them makes that worse not better.

The accident rate for self-driving cars in test programs like Google's is actually quite high, and that's with a human co-driver at the wheel. They claim that none of them are "at fault" but obviously this is spinning the fact that they are in fact quite accident prone.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

butterbar posted:

The accident rate for self-driving cars in test programs like Google's is actually quite high

Got a source for that bold claim?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

butterbar posted:

The accident rate for people in programs like actual real life is actually quite high, and that's with a computer shifting gears. They claim that none of them are "at fault" but obviously this is spinning the fact that they are in fact quite accident prone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butterbar posted:

The accident rate for self-driving cars in test programs like Google's is actually quite high, and that's with a human co-driver at the wheel. They claim that none of them are "at fault" but obviously this is spinning the fact that they are in fact quite accident prone.
The majority of which seem to be "woah, wtf is that fugly looking thin...[crunch]". Which I can totally see the average driver doing, and isn't at all the fault of the AI (only the engineers' for wanting to make the drat thing stand out like that).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

The Camaro is already pretty loving cheap. I saw a few base models on autotrader for around $22,000. Add bolt-on this and you'll have a cheap 390hp, turbocharged car weighting like 3400lbs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ilkhan posted:

The majority of which seem to be "woah, wtf is that fugly looking thin...[crunch]". Which I can totally see the average driver doing, and isn't at all the fault of the AI (only the engineers' for wanting to make the drat thing stand out like that).

If I remember correctly, in a majority of those crashes the Google car got rearended. Which is such a basic type of accident I'm pretty confident a robot car would not commit. And in many situations where the robot car succesfully stops without rearending anyone, I would imagine they have a great chance of getting rearended by a human driver who wasn't paying as much attention.

Another likely explanation is that robot car may have a tendency to slow down or stop erronously or just in case, in situation where human drivers wouldn't expect that to happen.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I've just seen so much horseshit on the road that I absolutely know the computer will never be able to handle, I'm going to be the last person giving up control of my car.

At least until the car is programmed to drive itself up on the curb (assuming the sidewalk is clear of peds) to get the hell out of the way of the drunk shithead in a F150 barreling up behind me at a red light. Let me guess Google hasn't passed off the "what gear do I need to hop a curb with no ground clearance" code to their QA department yet, right?

Couldn't care less about straightforward fender benders, I've seen enough accident scenes to not worry about those.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Then again the kind of person that would statistically benefit from a self driving car would not be able to know what the gently caress to do in your situation.

Self driving cars are one of the few bits of car technology that are of almost no benefit to AI people.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Self driving cars are one of the few bits of car technology that are of almost no benefit to AI people.

Eh, AI people commute too and some of them even own dedicated boring cars to do it in

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

Couldn't care less about straightforward fender benders, I've seen enough accident scenes to not worry about those.

In terms of safety you may not care, but in terms of cost you should. Cars are expensive, and insurance is expensive. Self-driving has the potential to lower those insurance rates + deductible spending and raise effective incomes (even just a bit) for millions of people.

You do know that ~30,000 people are killed and many more injured each year in the U.S. due to auto accidents right?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Michael Scott posted:

You do know that ~30,000 people are killed and many more injured each year in the U.S. due to auto accidents right?

Data does not equal insight. loving please tattoo this on the forehead of very new MBA so we stop getting awful horseshit rammed down our throats.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Actually data not being the same thing as insight might be the single most important thing for people to keep in mind as we enter this new AI industrial revolution. poo poo, I think I have my book idea.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

As an idiot who commutes mainly on motorcycle or bicycle, (potential) reduction in "fender benders" is what I'm most excited about. I don't care if you drive, but the average driver is a hazard and should be in one of those goofy-rear end Waymo cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If that F150 is driven by AI rather than a drunk moron looking at his phone it won't barrel up behind you at 50 and slam into you without braking.