Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Somewhat ironic, given how often he played Frankenstein.

I'll give it that, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wandle Cax posted:

Are you thinking of the first teaser trailer which was different to the movie? Now i'm getting confused what was said in the actual film.

No. The part that was cut from the film was Mon Mothma describing Jyn as "reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined." The part where the rebel officer guy lists her offenses is in the final cut.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

It's not an imitation though. It's parading his corpse around and I find it distasteful, regardless of whether or not his estate agreed to it.

Ok well I can't speak for Cushing but if I performed in a movie and it was considered so distinctive and iconic that the only option was to digitially recreate the character as close as possible to reality, I would be cool with that if I was dead. I mean in this context, it's not doing any harm is it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I bet if they had given the role to another actor, the discussion would be 'Well, he's okay, I guess, but he's no Peter Cushing' instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Milky Moor posted:

I bet if they had given the role to another actor, the discussion would be 'Well, he's okay, I guess, but he's no Peter Cushing' instead.

Unless the actor knocked it out of the park with his impression of Cushing as Tarkin. The benefit of casting a guy who looks and sounds like Cushing instead of digitally re-creating the deceased actor is there would be no discussion of ethics involved. It's an interesting debate: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/apr/10/bruce-lee-audrey-hepburn-ethics-digital-necromancy

[edit] I personally had no real moral issue with it, other than it being a bit distracting.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 20, 2016

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Just wait until the argument isn't just about CGI, but if it's ethical to create replicant robots of famous people so they can survive forever.

Related the trailer for the new Blade Runner is out and holy poo poo

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Someone at ILM has a "special" video of Tarkin and Leia rendered in loving detail over several hard drives.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

teagone posted:

One of the rebel dudes lists all of her criminal offenses, one of them being resisting arrest, when she's brought to Mon Mothma and questioned by Cassian.

Yeah but the other crimes were things like "forging Imperial documents", so it seems more like she's a criminal for survival reasons rather than by choice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Radio! posted:

Yeah but the other crimes were things like "forging Imperial documents", so it seems more like she's a criminal for survival reasons rather than by choice.

What's the difference between a criminal and someone who commits crime in an effort to survive?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

big money big clit posted:

What's the difference between a criminal and someone who commits crime in an effort to survive?

Technically none. But I think it contributes to her characterization. Like the difference between Jyn- who only commits crimes to survive and otherwise keeps her head down- and, like, Han- who never gives any indication that he doesn't totally enjoy being a smuggler and purposefully starting poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At one point they weren't all going to die.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The internet has a weird collective belief that if a movie was ever changed or reshot that the unseen original was better, inherently. But the ending where they die is a way way better ending than an ending they don't die.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pro-CGI Cushing (I honestly thought it was a look-alike), but to be fair Mon Mothma was a look-alike and no one complained. Cushing was a more iconic actor, though, so who knows.

Technology is just going to get better and better, so I really think there's no point in debating whether any particular technique is "too much" or not. You could have the same argument if they had just used extensive make-up and prosthetics to recreate Cushing's face on another actor. The only constants here are:

1) Did they have permission or the blessings of either the person or their estate?
2) Was it "tasteful"?

In this case they did have permission, and they were using him in the same role, without changing the character, in a film that he was fine appearing in. And it wasn't a parody or disrespectful.

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 20, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mezzanine posted:

but to be fair Mon Mothma was a look-alike and no one complained.

I think that's because the original actress didn't have cheekbones of doom like Cushing did. Not that difficult to find a lookalike, I imagine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cushing's family signed off on it. I don't like the idea of reviving Tupac/Prince/Elvis/John Lennon/The SA Forums/Liberace without the consent of the family and the estate, but this just isn't one of those times.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plus who gives a flying gently caress about Mon Mothma.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Plus who gives a flying gently caress about Mon Mothma.

TBF, Genevieve O'Reilly has probably more screen time as Mon Mothma than Caroline Blakiston, given that she was also Mothma in Revenge Of The Sith.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Young Freud posted:

TBF, Genevieve O'Reilly has probably more screen time as Mon Mothma than Caroline Blakiston, given that she was also Mothma in Revenge Of The Sith.

Most of her scenes in RotS have been cut, but yes, she's played Mon Mothma before, and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that she's aged a lot between Episodes 4 and 6, what with the stress of running the rebellion and the death of Manny Boffins.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Captain Splendid posted:

He seemed like a nice guy

I remember an interview where Carrie Fisher was talking about how difficult it was to be angry at him, in character, because while Leia's ranting about how full of evil and spite the guy is, Peter's stood there quite happily smelling of lavender and after shave. :haw:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

PassTheRemote posted:

When the empire needs things backed up, they rely on Western Digital, it seems, based on that Hard drive backup, but the rebels copy it all to a floppy drive. Really makes you think how far tech has gone in 40 years.

I also like the Empire, thinking:

where should we put our tech backup?
Stormtrooper running by: SPRING BREAK!

Really wanted to see the base Stormtroopers come out in sleeveless armor and armor shorts.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rogue Two: The Bothans are in this One?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What is the deal with the bothans thing

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'd like to think that the Corvette that smashed into the Star Destroyer was full of bothans so the timeline is preserved.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is the deal with the bothans thing

"Do you know how many Bothans died to get these plans??!"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I've been seeing this all over the internet and it's really interesting--the whole thing about the Bothans being involved in the DS1 plans and not DS2?

Is it because as kids we mostly liked watching RotJ to the exclusion of ANH so it bled into peoples' memories? Or is it an assumption that since they were involved in DS2 that it's natural to conclude they had a hand in DS1 too?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's because the 80s were kinda racist and aliens had archetypes. Bothans were the untrustworthy, skulking spy aliens.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Just one, and his name was Manny.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Also the thing about the Bothans is Mon Mothma's only memorable line so people think of it when they see her in this.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah we're the bothans involved in ds1 or ds2

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah we're the bothans involved in ds1 or ds2

Explicity DS2 as it's stated in RoTJ. Who knows about DS1.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So then what's even the issue Jesus Christ

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TraderStav posted:

"Do you know how many Manny Bothans died to get these plans??!"

I'd love to find out how he died.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 20, 2016

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

TraderStav posted:

Not enough

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wasn't there some huge Bothan riot in Timothy Zahns books?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah and he introduced the most insufferable character in literary history in Borsk Feylayahgiahga.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

gohmak posted:

I'd love to find out how he died.

Shot by Boba Fett

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manuel_Both-Hanz

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah they ended up being major poo poo heads, and Leia's primary political rival throughout a ton of the EU was a bothan. Like most things in the EU they took Mon Mothma's one line about them dying and then it turns out it's an entire species of spies

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah they ended up being major poo poo heads, and Leia's primary political rival throughout a ton of the EU was a bothan. Like most things in the EU they took Mon Mothma's one line about them dying and then it turns out it's an entire species of spies

They aren't spies according to their art, you're just misunderstanding herd mentality.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Radio! posted:

Also the thing about the Bothans is Mon Mothma's only memorable line so people think of it when they see her in this.

I think this is probably as good a theory as any, since A. The Bothans stole the DS2 plans and B. They didn't steal the DS2 plans, they uncovered the location:

Return of the Jedi posted:

MON MOTHMA
The Emperor has made a critical error and the time for our attack has
come.

This causes a stir. Mon Mothma turns to a holographic model of the
Death Star, the Endor moon and the protecting deflector shield in the
center of the room.

MON MOTHMA
The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoints the exact location
of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon
systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial
Fleet spread throughout the galaxy in a vain effort to engage us, it is
relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that
the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the
construction of this Death Star.

It's now apparent to me that the way to a sequel is to bring back the Rogue One cast but dress them up as goatpeople. Many Bothans: A Star Wars Story. Let's go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been seeing this all over the internet and it's really interesting--the whole thing about the Bothans being involved in the DS1 plans and not DS2?

Is it because as kids we mostly liked watching RotJ to the exclusion of ANH so it bled into peoples' memories? Or is it an assumption that since they were involved in DS2 that it's natural to conclude they had a hand in DS1 too?

All Hutts are criminals, all Sullustans are pilots, all Bith are musicians, all Trandoshans are (bounty) hunters, ergo all Bothans are spies who steal Death Star plans.

• Locked thread