Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hope you're not implying that movie is bad.

Escusi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Biplane posted:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a movie I was convinced for many years was a figment of my fevered dreams of yore until I randomly spotted it on a streaming service last year.

I own it after getting it for around $3. Not sure if I've seen it all the way through :negative:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jedit posted:

Eurotrip features stoner comedy in the Vatican, if that helps. It's even on topic for having the worst Italian accent in movie history, followed up by Nazi jokes in Germany.

My biggest disappointment about the show Justified was that Tim's character at no point used the excuse "wait, this isn't where I parked my car."

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Inzombiac posted:

I own it after getting it for around $3. Not sure if I've seen it all the way through :negative:

I have a strange love for that movie. I have no idea why. It gets a colossal amount of hate but i think its ...fine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Roblo posted:

I have a strange love for that movie. I have no idea why. It gets a colossal amount of hate but i think its ...fine.
:same: though I'm an absolute sucker for that sort of golden age serial nonsense. I even like The Shadow with Alec Baldwin.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

The protagonists aren't built for it either. There's not a single interesting thing about Will and Elizabeth and once they got together those characters should have been retired. If you wanna make films about pirates dealing with spooky ghosts, Sparrow is the only character that makes sense to keep around. Instead, they took a fun, swashbuckling movie and then overconvulated the plot in an effort to try to make every character relevant in the sequels. Then you end up with poo poo like Elizabeth becoming the pirate king. The main problem with POTC is there never should have been any sequels at all.
The absolute worst were all the recurring B and C characters in the third film. Oh boy, the loser false-eyed pirate and his buddy are doing a thing. And now the loving monkey and parrot are doing something wacky, isn't that zany? All that poo poo is basically the Disney version of DBZ reaction shots. JUST GET loving ON WITH IT.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pilchenstein posted:

:same: though I'm an absolute sucker for that sort of golden age serial nonsense. I even like The Shadow with Alec Baldwin.

I love that style as well but Sky Captain is almost all CG with this Vaseline blur that would get George Lucas hard.
If they did it with real sets it would have been pretty good.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Random Hajile posted:

The absolute worst were all the recurring B and C characters in the third film. Oh boy, the loser false-eyed pirate and his buddy are doing a thing. And now the loving monkey and parrot are doing something wacky, isn't that zany? All that poo poo is basically the Disney version of DBZ reaction shots. JUST GET loving ON WITH IT.

My IIMM with Pirates 3 is the final battle, where you have hundreds of pirate ships lined up to fight the entire East India Company navy, with thousands of cannons and men aboard each.... and then they hang back and play slap-dick while only one ship from each side actually fights. Yawn.

Soundtrack owned, though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was honestly impressed with the first POTC movie when I learned that the sword flipping thing that Legolas does in the beginning is actually him, and not cgi.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was honestly impressed with the first POTC movie when I learned that the sword flipping thing that Legolas does in the beginning is actually him, and not cgi.

And on the flip side of this, the Peter Jackson King Kong sucks because they CGI in Naomi Watt's juggling.

Learn to juggle, dammit, that's what they pay you for!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rydiafan posted:

I liked the last line in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow the best. Almost redeemed that garbage film for me.

That movie doesn't really end - it just stops.

The writer-director has a very detailed Wikipedia page but his filmography begins and ends with Sky Captain.

I have to admit it's still sort of a guilty pleasure of mine because I really enjoy the sort of golden age pulp feel of it (see also: The Rocketeer and Warren Beatty's adaptation of Dick Tracy), and perhaps more significantly, I saw it when I was super into the Crimson Skies game for the Xbox and it's probably the closest we'll ever get to a Crimson Skies movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My irrationally irritating moment involving movies is that no shops near me have Arthur Christmas. I like the wrapping-obsessed elf, she is a cute character with a brilliant payoff and plays an amazing part in the climax.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

And on the flip side of this, the Peter Jackson King Kong sucks because they CGI in Naomi Watt's juggling.

Learn to juggle, dammit, that's what they pay you for!

read this as jiggling at first

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It irrationally irritates me that Kong is apparently going to be the size of a skyscraper in the new movie because they want to set him up to fight the Gareth Edwards Godzilla in the planned Kongzilla Cinematic Universe.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

It irrationally irritates me that Kong is apparently going to be the size of a skyscraper in the new movie because they want to set him up to fight the Gareth Edwards Godzilla in the planned Kongzilla Cinematic Universe.

Not exactly unprecedented

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056142/

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

read this as jiggling at first

They CGI'd that too and it's terrible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's too bad LXG was Connery's last movie role. I believe he was actually approached by Peter Jackson to play Gandalf before Ian McKellen but declined to do LXG because he'd enjoyed the Allan Quatermain books as a boy.

I vaguely remember reading that he turned down Gandalf and then turned down Morpheus from The Matrix, and then signed up for LXG on the basis that these offbeat fantasy-type movies keep making a billion dollars so this one probably will too.

Possibly that's an apocryphal story but the narrative is a good one. I'm actually pretty sure he turned down Gandalf because the role needed him to commit to a solid 18 months in New Zealand.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Honestly I've never understood the appeal of the hypothetical alternate universe where Connery was Gandalf. First because McKellen was basically perfect in the role but also, and more importantly, because I legitimately can't think of Sean Connery's last decent performance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I still mourn the loss of Sean Connery from acting

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Entrapment was pretty good by why was the bank testing their Millennium bug protection during New Year's Eve?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

NorgLyle posted:

Honestly I've never understood the appeal of the hypothetical alternate universe where Connery was Gandalf.

I prefer the hypothetical alternate universe where the LXG movie was even half as interesting as the comics.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NorgLyle posted:

Honestly I've never understood the appeal of the hypothetical alternate universe where Connery was Gandalf. First because McKellen was basically perfect in the role but also, and more importantly, because I legitimately can't think of Sean Connery's last decent performance.

The Rock.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In Game of Thrones, season 1 why the gently caress aren't any of the Stark kids engaged/promised to another family? I mean, poo poo, Rob alone should at least have one kid by now, and yes, Sansa does end up bethrothed to the the bitch prince, but the entire point of political marriages was to make your family stronger. Technically up to Bran, those kids should have all had engagements set already. I seriously doubt Stark was holding out for either of his daughters to marry into royalty, unlike Daddy Lannister.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

In Game of Thrones, season 1 why the gently caress aren't any of the Stark kids engaged/promised to another family? I mean, poo poo, Rob alone should at least have one kid by now, and yes, Sansa does end up bethrothed to the the bitch prince, but the entire point of political marriages was to make your family stronger. Technically up to Bran, those kids should have all had engagements set already. I seriously doubt Stark was holding out for either of his daughters to marry into royalty, unlike Daddy Lannister.

Well, as you say, Sansa is promised already. Robb is the oldest son and therefore going to take over, so he actually gets to choose who he wants to marry. The rest are probably just a little bit too young to be worrying about marriage, GoT society seems to imply that puberty is the point where you become an adult, what with Sansa only marrying Joffrey after she gets her period.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xinlum posted:

In the second bill and Ted movie they call the devil a fag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXPMHj68LM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I vaguely remember reading that he turned down Gandalf and then turned down Morpheus from The Matrix, and then signed up for LXG on the basis that these offbeat fantasy-type movies keep making a billion dollars so this one probably will too.

Possibly that's an apocryphal story but the narrative is a good one. I'm actually pretty sure he turned down Gandalf because the role needed him to commit to a solid 18 months in New Zealand.

That and he just didn't understand the books.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before someone brings up Zardoz, he's actually explained that. Basically it was the only script he was offered at the time that wasn't a Bond knock off.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

muscles like this! posted:

Before someone brings up Zardoz, he's actually explained that. Basically it was the only script he was offered at the time that wasn't a Bond knock off.

No one can explain Zardoz.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Dwayne would have been an amazing Gandalf, I agree.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How the gently caress is Liam Neeson one of the world's highest paid action stars

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WampaLord posted:

Well, as you say, Sansa is promised already. Robb is the oldest son and therefore going to take over, so he actually gets to choose who he wants to marry. The rest are probably just a little bit too young to be worrying about marriage, GoT society seems to imply that puberty is the point where you become an adult, what with Sansa only marrying Joffrey after she gets her period.

Also I think it's something Ned Stark mentions, in the book at least, that he thinks the kids are "too young", even Robb still, to think about marrying and all. If it hadn't been his buddy the king he would have just said no.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

How the gently caress is Liam Neeson one of the world's highest paid action stars

He has a very particular set of skills.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think most of the kids in the GoT books are younger than on TV, aren't they?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah it's something like Rob and Jon are 14 and then everyone else is younger.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The small upside to Sean Connery playing Gandalf would be that Ian Mckellen would have played Dumbledoore instead of Michael Gambon, who approached the role with virtually no warmth or humor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was going to say the dialogue in The Newsroom is some of the most insufferable grating "I talk so clever" poo poo ever written but then I remembered it's by Aaron Sorkin and it all made sense.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it's something like Rob and Jon are 14 and then everyone else is younger.

The whole "married at 13/14" is more of a myth as well. Late teens to early 20s was far more common, mainly in the late medieveal period at least. Not being betrothed at all yet does seem a bit off though.

GRRM is one of those people who in their effort to create a "realistic world" goes too far the other way.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

oldpainless posted:

I was going to say the dialogue in The Newsroom is some of the most insufferable grating "I talk so clever" poo poo ever written but then I remembered it's by Aaron Sorkin and it all made sense.

I find Aaron Sorkin's good stuff is really good, but his bad stuff is really bad, and that entire show was absolutely everything worst about his writing with none of the good bits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CubanMissile posted:

The small upside to Sean Connery playing Gandalf would be that Ian Mckellen would have played Dumbledoore instead of Michael Gambon, who approached the role with virtually no warmth or humor.

Feeble. The word is feeble.

"Let's look for someone to play this incredibly smart, energetic, slightly crazy wizard. I know, let's use the warmed up corpse of Michael Gambon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
And for some reason he always looked like he wanted to kick Harry's rear end.