Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Isn't Bodyguard the one where Tina Turner Whitney Houston falls for Kevin Costner after some sort of dangerous situation? I remember there being a weird scene with silk falling on a katana and being cut by just the weight of it, and interperating that as some sort of bizarre allegory for sex.

Edit: For some reason I was thinking Mad Max (Turner) and not Bodyguard (Houston).

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gaunab posted:

I like Broad City. I also remember McDonalds 365black from the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Parent's used to listen to it when I was a kid.

So do I, but they started saying yas a bunch and put it on their cell phone soundboard app and suddenly everyone is saying it. The show makes white ppl feel authentic.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Which sucks because the whole joke is that Ilana is an obnoxious white girl who appropriates black culture while having only a shallow understanding of anything political

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yas and queen are specifically from queer black culture, aren't they? It feels a bit of a disservice to not bring that up, especially when talking about white women and appropriation.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

there wolf posted:

Yas and queen are specifically from queer black culture, aren't they? It feels a bit of a disservice to not bring that up, especially when talking about white women and appropriation.

Black gay men, iirc. Honestly most slag these days from black women/lgbt folks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Black gay men, iirc. Honestly most slag these days from black women/lgbt folks.

What is this slag and how can I appropriate it to impress my white coworkers? :v:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Speaking of Denzel, where the hell has he been?

He's been out telling the media how lovely they are at their jobs.

Morby posted:

I will accept this and counteroffer with "Waiting to Exhale".

Name one person under 50 that has watched it in 2016.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Yes, although gay culture and women's culture cross-pollinate so much it's hard to be definitive about it. A lot of gay culture is satirizing female gender roles, which can get very complicated when you look at misogyny in gay culture. A whole lot of iconic black culture things were originally satires of white culture too, like cakewalks and oversized clothing. White people never seem to pick up on that, For Some Reason.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

oversized clothing.

This has got my curiosity, and I am having trouble finding anything on that and was wondering where I could read up on this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

What is this slag and how can I appropriate it to impress my white coworkers? :v:

We're drinking wine at work. Don't judge me lmao.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LunarShadow posted:

This has got my curiosity, and I am having trouble finding anything on that and was wondering where I could read up on this.

I don't have any links, but basically people started wearing whiteman clothes baggy to clown on the look, and it stuck

Although gigantic clothing hasn't been trendy in black street style in quite a while now, please inform your local white political cartoonist

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I don't have any links, but basically people started wearing whiteman clothes baggy to clown on the look, and it stuck

Although gigantic clothing hasn't been trendy in black street style in quite a while now, please inform your local white political cartoonist

Is that a different thing from the thing where some guys wear multiple layers of shorts/pants?

Like, regular underwear/boxers at the waist, then a pair of shorts where the underwear shows, then another pair of shorts where the first pair of shorts shows, etc. until you have waistbands down to mid-thigh and the final pants layer all baggy from there?

Because that is fairly common still in the area of Atlanta around where I work, though I'm not sure what the varying number of shorts/pants signify (sometimes it's just underwear/boxers then pants, sometimes only the one intermediate pair of shorts, sometimes a whole lot of other shorts/pants).

EDIT: That's probably a lot of detail to notice while waiting at a red light during my commute, but some of those red lights make you wait for loving ever.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

That makes a good deal of sense given what little I could find, given the only thing I really could find related to satire was literal clowns using baggy clothing to mock style.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is that a different thing from the thing where some guys wear multiple layers of shorts/pants?

Like, regular underwear/boxers at the waist, then a pair of shorts where the underwear shows, then another pair of shorts where the first pair of shorts shows, etc. until you have waistbands down to mid-thigh and the final pants layer all baggy from there?

Because that is fairly common still in the area of Atlanta around where I work, though I'm not sure what the varying number of shorts/pants signify (sometimes it's just underwear/boxers then pants, sometimes only the one intermediate pair of shorts, sometimes a whole lot of other shorts/pants).

EDIT: That's probably a lot of detail to notice while waiting at a red light during my commute, but some of those red lights make you wait for loving ever.

An offshoot of that, sure. Baggy pants sag, so how your underwear looks matters, so choosing underwear with the intent for it to be visible becomes a thing and gets more baroque from there. In 50-100 years there will be men's pants with a faux elastic waistband above the real one and no one will remember why.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, although gay culture and women's culture cross-pollinate so much it's hard to be definitive about it. A lot of gay culture is satirizing female gender roles, which can get very complicated when you look at misogyny in gay culture. A whole lot of iconic black culture things were originally satires of white culture too, like cakewalks and oversized clothing. White people never seem to pick up on that, For Some Reason.

This is treating gay culture like a monolith, which is what I'm trying to get away from...

Actually, let me ask a real question because I think I'm getting out of my depth here. When I was hanging out with members of the black queer community a lot and the subject of appropriation came up, they'd often be just as irritated by the broader black culture taking things they came up with as with the broader (read white) gay culture doing it. If I remember correctly, you're bi? TB. Can you or anyone else shed more light on this? Is it a common sentiment, or something mostly confined to over-serious college kids?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

An offshoot of that, sure. Baggy pants sag, so how your underwear looks matters, so choosing underwear with the intent for it to be visible becomes a thing and gets more baroque from there. In 50-100 years there will be men's pants with a faux elastic waistband above the real one and no one will remember why.

We may already be there, because one of the slacks/khakis sold at a department store I buy clothes at features a secondary elastic waistband inside the regular waistband that is visible if you flip it up/out from behind the waist area. I forget the brand name on them though.

The embarrassing bit here is that I thought that was supposed to stay tucked into the pants and the function was that the secondary band helped hold them up if you didn't want to wear a belt (because of being fat).

After reading your post, now I'm wondering if that band was there specifically to act like a decorative fake waistband since the material between the elastic and the actual pants was a patterned strip of material that matched the pants.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 20, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

This is treating gay culture like a monolith, which is what I'm trying to get away from...

Actually, let me ask a real question because I think I'm getting out of my depth here. When I was hanging out with members of the black queer community a lot and the subject of appropriation came up, they'd often be just as irritated by the broader black culture taking things they came up with as with the broader (read white) gay culture doing it. If I remember correctly, you're bi? TB. Can you or anyone else shed more light on this? Is it a common sentiment, or something mostly confined to over-serious college kids?

No more than saying "black culture" or "white culture." Before Dilbert's dad got bitten by that radioactive MRA he had a thing in one of his books, "BOCTOE," which stands for But Of Course There Are Obvious Exceptions, to be used on exactly that reflexive reminder that generalizations exist. Yes, generalizations exist. A surface discussion will happen before an in-depth one. A broad question will get a broad answer.

I'm not bi, but black culture :siren: generalization :siren: has some homophobia issues so it's easy to imagine black queer people :siren: generalization :siren: have some friction with it.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

We may already be there, because one of the slacks/khakis sold at a department store I buy clothes at features a secondary elastic waistband inside the regular waistband that is visible if you flip it up/out from behind the waist area. I forget the brand name on them though.

The embarrassing bit here is that I thought that was supposed to stay tucked into the pants and the function was that the secondary band helped hold them up if you didn't want to wear a belt (because of being fat).

After reading your post, now I'm wondering if that band was there specifically to act like a decorative fake waistband since the material between the elastic and the actual pants was a patterned strip of material that matched the pants.

That sounds weird as hell! I'd love a picture or a link if you run across those pants again. And there was a great discussion in PYF History Fact about the way fashion details mutate from functional to decorative to increasingly abstract a few days back.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
It sucks that whenever something hits the zeitgeist minority groups have at best 3-6 months of ownership of thing before a larger group takes it over and completely bastardizes it.

I just saw a buzzfeed thing about "voguing" being a "hot new trend", and of course it was nothing but white girls in it doing it fuckin terribly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

An offshoot of that, sure. Baggy pants sag, so how your underwear looks matters, so choosing underwear with the intent for it to be visible becomes a thing

I actually kind of miss whale tails.

negromancer posted:

It sucks that whenever something hits the zeitgeist minority groups have at best 3-6 months of ownership of thing before a larger group takes it over and completely bastardizes it.

I just saw a buzzfeed thing about "voguing" being a "hot new trend", and of course it was nothing but white girls in it doing it fuckin terribly.

Isn't Voguing well over a decade old at this point?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

I actually kind of miss whale tails.

Voguing is actually a great case study in appropriation. Watch Paris Is Burning https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Is_Burning_(film) . Then read about the making of it, and what happened to some of the people involved as the filmmaker and people like Madonna built careers on their backs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

It's from at least the 80s, so some of the people calling it "new" now weren't even born when it started.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm the bi one. Plese refer to me on all manners of black bisexuality. it's a joke, y'all

The bottom line is no, LGBT aren't a monolithic group but TB is right when she talks about black women and gay culture (explicitly club and drag culture) overlapping or intersecting at various points.

In my experience, and just that, whether or not not an LGBT poc is mad about stuff being appropriated by folks if their same race depends most on whether they identify as gay or POC first. This also is influenced by income levels.

Also I have some great black (and white!) LGBT friends and family but it's a spehere that's hard for me to navigate because there is very much a stigma against bisexuals and I think IMO black bisexuality, male or female.

Semi related but I actually just found a good article about toxic black masculinity.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah all I'm saying is culture isn't segregated and sterile, especially among groups that share an oppressor (sup whitey). Black women and black gay men weren't strangers - beauty shop culture is one easy example. Things get traded back and forth. A drag queen doing overdrawn lips and long red nails didn't invent that, women were doing it as an unironic glamour look first. Then you get, say, Christina Aguilera evoking drag style in her stagewear in the early 2000s and the cycle loops back around again.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah all I'm saying is culture isn't segregated and sterile, especially among groups that share an oppressor (sup whitey). Black women and black gay men weren't strangers - beauty shop culture is one easy example. Things get traded back and forth. A drag queen doing overdrawn lips and long red nails didn't invent that, women were doing it as an unironic glamour look first. Then you get, say, Christina Aguilera evoking drag style in her stagewear in the early 2000s and the cycle loops back around again.

I didn't know the thing about Christina. I just thought she was trying to be a flamboyant version of Mariah Carey's diva style.

The more you know.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I didn't know the thing about Christina. I just thought she was trying to be a flamboyant version of Mariah Carey's diva style.

The more you know.

Yeah! What I love about fashion is she may very well have thought she was, and both things can be true at once. Especially since for a pop star on her level tons of people are working together on her look, including very likely some gay men who are into drag, who may be consciously/unconsciously drawing on that.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How you doin?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

I'm the bi one. Plese refer to me on all manners of black bisexuality. it's a joke, y'all

The bottom line is no, LGBT aren't a monolithic group but TB is right when she talks about black women and gay culture (explicitly club and drag culture) overlapping or intersecting at various points.

In my experience, and just that, whether or not not an LGBT poc is mad about stuff being appropriated by folks if their same race depends most on whether they identify as gay or POC first. This also is influenced by income levels.

Also I have some great black (and white!) LGBT friends and family but it's a spehere that's hard for me to navigate because there is very much a stigma against bisexuals and I think IMO black bisexuality, male or female.

Semi related but I actually just found a good article about toxic black masculinity.

Ah! I remembered the discussion from the Misogynoir thread but put the wrong poster with it. Sorry about that.

Thanks for this. And your response, too TB. I try and stick up for queer culture because I'm invested in it, but I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth or force some great black vs. queer conflict that might not be there. Though shout out to the trans women and gender queer people who are often at the center of the confluence of women's and gay culture, including drag.

Also if there's a black film study 201 list then Paris is Burning should be on it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

How you doin?

Hey good to see you, can I have a car loan?

highme
May 25, 2001

Of course, your job is your credit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

Of course, your job is your credit.

Excellent. Unrelated question: Can I have a job?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

20.8% APR good for you?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

20.8% APR good for you?

Too real :smith:

highme
May 25, 2001

Excellent. Unrelated question: Can I have a job?

I'm sorry, while your resume is impressive, we've decided to go in a different direction.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

I'm sorry, while your resume is impressive, we've decided to go in a different direction.

True fact, every time I've lost out on a job and found out who got it, it's been a white man with less experience than me.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

True fact, every time I've lost out on a job and found out who got it, it's been a white man with less experience than me.

This happened to me when I applied for Twitter. The person they hired couldn't tell you 3 of the OWASP top 10 but he got the job. So I pretty much blasted them at every conference I spoke at for a year. Their HR person reached out to me and let me know them going with the other candidate wasn't personal, it was a "culture fit", to which I then included said email into my talk. I apparently burned a few bridges I didn't care to walk across at that point doing so.

The talk also included pictures of their "recruitment of diversity" efforts, to which they held events far from public transportation and minority neighborhoods and every picture was probably the whitest pictures you could get outside of a snowstorm or a Trump rally.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

"culture fit"

It's easy to mock "culture fit" (fun too) for being all about helping the white nerds who already work there stay in their comfort zone of videogame chat and IPAs, but the more insidious side is making sure no employee has anything going on in their life that the company would have to accommodate, like a disability or a child to get home to, or even a fulfilling hobby they might want to spend their weekends doing instead of being on-call for work.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I then included said email into my talk

lmao

that owns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I'm the bi one. Plese refer to me on all manners of black bisexuality.
*unrolls very long scroll, inhales*

quote:

it's a joke, y'all
*closes scroll quietly*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Isn't the list of cool trends Black people -> Gay people -> Women people -> White boys -> White men -> Rappin grannies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'd put black and gay people on the same level.

• Locked thread