Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Yeah, I've since changed my locomotion in H3VR to the point and it moves you mode. I found the teleporting was killing the immersion a bit, and the gamepad movement was a bit janky.

I'm generally down for non teleport though. Closet thing I've had to motion sickness so far is pitching down when flying a plane in war thunder. Even then it was more of an "oooohh gently caress."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thumper now has VR support on Steam. Includes OpenVR as well as native OVR support. Tried it on my Vive and it runs perfectly with 8xAA on my 1080. Also it is a good game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SwissCM posted:

Thumper now has VR support on Steam. Includes OpenVR as well as native OVR support. Tried it on my Vive and it runs perfectly with 8xAA on my 1080. Also it is a good game.

Finally! I've been waiting to get back into it until this patch hit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissCM posted:

Well! It's about drat time.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

SwissCM posted:

It's pretty loving cool. I wish the rhythm elements were a bit tighter but it's like a psychedelic roller coaster

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Some people a couple pages back mentioned interest in New Retro Arcade. I wanted to mention something super-important and useful that came out after I did that earlier write up about it. So, If you do decide to buy New Retro Arcade, make sure you check out this Steam discussion thread here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/465780/discussions/0/343786746006038700/

This guy has created a separate application that will randomize your arcade layout and the games included when you want. Importantly, the large main install file (which clocks in at 1.7 gig) has all the cabinet art and attract movies for over 475 different cabinets. So, basically, if you download this pack, all you have to do is add in your perfectly-legally-obtained ROMs (or your googled downloaded backup of your perfectly-legally-obtained ROMs) for the stuff you want and you are good to go. He can't include the ROMs themselves for copyright reasons.

Make sure you download both his full installer to get all the cabinet art, and then download his latest beta of the program in the last few pages of the thread -- the newest beta can scan for and only use cabinets that it finds you have the actual ROMs for.

I've tested this out after a little tinkering and it is great! Being able to just drop ROMs in and have it slap on the appropriate cabinet art and attract screens for you (including movies) really simplifies using New Retro Arcade in general, and randomizing your arcade every so often to shake it up and try new games is fun. It also lets you save certain machines to favorite positions -- this requires manually editing the .CSV file but is pretty simple -- and then you can always have that hot Moon Patrol machine in the same place if that is your favorite while randomizing everything else. It's certainly way easier than manually tracking down all the cabinet art myself like I was doing before.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552450/

It's out, and

quote:

You can now buy the Early Access version of Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter with a launch discount of 10% and additional discount of 10% for owners of Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and 20% for owners of Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope - all stackable! That's right - it makes it for a maximum total discount of whooping 40%!

I love croteam so much :v:

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Some people a couple pages back mentioned interest in New Retro Arcade. I wanted to mention something super-important and useful that came out after I did that earlier write up about it. So, If you do decide to buy New Retro Arcade, make sure you check out this Steam discussion thread here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/465780/discussions/0/343786746006038700/

This guy has created a separate application that will randomize your arcade layout and the games included when you want. Importantly, the large main install file (which clocks in at 1.7 gig) has all the cabinet art and attract movies for over 475 different cabinets. So, basically, if you download this pack, all you have to do is add in your perfectly-legally-obtained ROMs (or your googled downloaded backup of your perfectly-legally-obtained ROMs) for the stuff you want and you are good to go. He can't include the ROMs themselves for copyright reasons.

Make sure you download both his full installer to get all the cabinet art, and then download his latest beta of the program in the last few pages of the thread -- the newest beta can scan for and only use cabinets that it finds you have the actual ROMs for.

I've tested this out after a little tinkering and it is great! Being able to just drop ROMs in and have it slap on the appropriate cabinet art and attract screens for you (including movies) really simplifies using New Retro Arcade in general, and randomizing your arcade every so often to shake it up and try new games is fun. It also lets you save certain machines to favorite positions -- this requires manually editing the .CSV file but is pretty simple -- and then you can always have that hot Moon Patrol machine in the same place if that is your favorite while randomizing everything else. It's certainly way easier than manually tracking down all the cabinet art myself like I was doing before.

This sounds amazing, and I can't wait to try it out! I love NRA:N and its customizability, but manually tinkering with all the cabinets eats up a lot of time and I've been too lazy to do it for a while.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Truga posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/552450/

It's out, and

I love croteam so much :v:

Report back after you try it!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I leave work in about 10 minutes, then going straight home and trying this poo poo out. I'll try putting some gameplay to youtube

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIjRZHg-G3s

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I'm watching.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StarkRavingMad posted:

yea, im gonna have to get this now

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

drat that bull fight just before you went into the temple must have been intense. It felt intense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm surprised that the cabinet art isn't copyrighted along with the game ROMs, that's a nice twist.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

FYI the audio is pretty quiet and the box for the video is small (idc and dunno if you can even change it, but heads up )

Looks pretty dang groovy, how's the :barf: factor? I'm still gettin' a little woozy after some time in Doom 3 and the movement in SS is a whole lot faster. Easier maybe that it's more circle strafing in open areas instead of the Doom sharp indoor corner turning?

And hah how'd that feel to get charged by a bunch of skele-horses in the dark hallway a second ago?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

I'm surprised that the cabinet art isn't copyrighted along with the game ROMs, that's a nice twist.

it honestly probably isn't 100% above board, but I think that they know they'd get wrecked if they add the ROMs whereas the cabinet art is probably a bit less of a big deal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I took VR off for a second there since it was some long cutscene and immediately got killed.

Circle strafing owns, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the 2nd gun with any decent accuracy when moving. It just doesn't work that well with the touchpad I think.

Other than that it's great. Also, sorry about the tiny picture, OBS preview showed full screen :( I'll try to figure out why that happened.

I need a break now, it's not :barf:y for me, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I am a bit queezy after all that. I'll try again later if I'm not too sleepy or maybe tomorrow morning, but with teleport controls. See how that works.

Also, teleport controls have speed options, and the slowest is as fast as normal touchpad running.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 20, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eonwe posted:

it honestly probably isn't 100% above board, but I think that they know they'd get wrecked if they add the ROMs whereas the cabinet art is probably a bit less of a big deal

Yeah, the Steam forum for the game has "do not link to ROMs or provide autodownloaders for them" as pretty much the only rule. Which makes sense -- some of these classic games do get repackaged and sold in various collections, you'll occasionally see some sort of "Arcade Classics" package that has like 30 games in it or whatever, so that could raise concerns. No one is really going out and separately buying cabinet art (aside from the few people who are actually rebuilding a cabinet).

Also, ironically, the ROMs themselves are way easier to find on the internet than good cabinet art, so I'd rather have this package than a ROM package. Having the little attract mode movies is also super cool, I never messed with that before and I didn't notice how much it adds to the experience to have all the screens in motion when you are walking around.

The installer package does come with a file that has all the rom .zip file names and even MD5 hashes so you know what the addon is looking for when it tries to put cabinet art and ROMs together. If you've downloaded some of your own stuff already that isn't in the package, you can also add games and art to the package's .CSV files for randomization purposes.

teh_Broseph posted:

FYI the audio is pretty quiet and the box for the video is small (idc and dunno if you can even change it, but heads up )

Looks pretty dang groovy, how's the :barf: factor? I'm still gettin' a little woozy after some time in Doom 3 and the movement in SS is a whole lot faster. Easier maybe that it's more circle strafing in open areas instead of the Doom sharp indoor corner turning?

And hah how'd that feel to get charged by a bunch of skele-horses in the dark hallway a second ago?

This movement totally looks like it'd make me sick, that kind of moving laterally and forward at the same time usually gets me. Truga, have you tried out the teleportation at all? I'm interested to see how well that works in a Serious Sam game, since those are usually all about circle-strafing. And what the hell is the "serious warp" they talked about?

(edit): never mind, you posted about it while I was typing :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://store.steampowered.com/app/410390/

Vermintide is getting some sort of free VR thing you can do? I liked Vermintide a lot but this isn't very descriptive. I wonder if it's good, looks like it unlocks pretty soon

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410390/

Vermintide is getting some sort of free VR thing you can do? I liked Vermintide a lot but this isn't very descriptive. I wonder if it's good, looks like it unlocks pretty soon

I'll try it out, I own Vermintide already. I'm guessing its a wave shooter, but im good with that

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So are the old school "move or die" shooter ports basically there for the contingent of folks who are immune to motion sickness and know it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think teleporting will work okay-ish. It has a much longer range than the teleport in most all games I played, so if you set it to teleport you quickly you can cover pretty large distances in quick order and then turn around and kill poo poo. I tried it for a few minutes before starting the stream and it seems like it'll work decently enough, but I wanted to do at least a level with classic movement first to see if I can survive it with my dinner intact (maybe eating just before starting this wasn't the best idea ever lmao)

Basic Chunnel posted:

So are the old school "move or die" shooter ports basically there for the contingent of folks who are immune to motion sickness and know it?

IMO? Absolutely yes. Also, this kind of movement would have me lying on the ground for the next 3-6 hours half a year ago, too. Now it's just "eh, whatever". I'm sure not absolutely everyone can get used to it, but I'm sure many will with enough time and exposure to less brutal VR experiences.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 20, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I showed a buddy of mine VR with my Rift and Touch controllers and he was freaking out about how great it was. Then he was concerned if he got one he wouldn't stop using it ever. Then he started acting strange and said his hands and brain felt weird. He only did the intro demo with the robot and disks so maybe like 15 minutes in VR. I never had anything like that before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TomR posted:

I showed a buddy of mine VR with my Rift and Touch controllers and he was freaking out about how great it was. Then he was concerned if he got one he wouldn't stop using it ever. Then he started acting strange and said his hands and brain felt weird. He only did the intro demo with the robot and disks so maybe like 15 minutes in VR. I never had anything like that before.

Your friend has been chosen and will soon join the cyber gods in the cyber realm.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The first few weeks after using my Vive I felt weird afterwards (hands feeling weird, hesitating to move more than a few feet expecting the chaperone bounds to come up, etc), which was a pretty recognized phenomenon at the time. It's not a serious issue; basically the VR equivalent of sea legs; and after awhile I stopped getting it.

For people who started with the Rift and got Touch/room scale later you might have acclimatized without noticing I guess.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Vive was my first VR experience and I can confirm that it made me feel really weird the first few times I tried it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sometimes my hands feel weird when I see them in my peripheral vision now, but I also spend a lot of time looking at fake hands and doing weird finger movements while waiting between rounds in the Unspoken

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bremen posted:

The first few weeks after using my Vive I felt weird afterwards (hands feeling weird, hesitating to move more than a few feet expecting the chaperone bounds to come up, etc), which was a pretty recognized phenomenon at the time. It's not a serious issue; basically the VR equivalent of sea legs; and after awhile I stopped getting it.

For people who started with the Rift and got Touch/room scale later you might have acclimatized without noticing I guess.

Getting Touch later, I never experienced anything like that. I also had demoed a Vive and it didn't give me anything like that even before I was used to VR. But people's brains seemed to be wired in majorly different ways in reacting to this stuff, which is really interesting. It's hard for me to think of any other recent phenomena that shows off how different perception and physical reaction to it can be.

There definitely is something to getting your "VR Legs." A lot of games used to make me a little motion sick, and now I don't get that unless it's a certain type of movement. I don't know if it's actually something changing -- I suspect for me it's more psychosomatic. When I first started using VR, I was constantly thinking/worrying about whether it was making me feel motion sick, and I'm sure that makes it way worse. Now I don't think about it unless I start actually feeling queasy. Like, I'm sure Ripcoil would have destroyed me when I first started, and now that weird movement is just a fun sensation.

The other night, I was playing that one fishing game available on the Oculus store, and it half froze on me and all of a sudden the whole world was moving with my view whenever I moved my headset. That was a bad one, I had to go lay down after that. First thing to really get me in awhile.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just played through the first map of Serious Sam and wow is it good. Having fast, full locomotion is such a nice change of pace and backpedaling/circle-strafing is super easy and comfortable. Things only get a little weird when you move while turning and even then it's not insurmountable and I didn't feel the least bit sick. The only problem is that you move like molasses when in water, so much so that when I tried to get that health box in the pool room I made it about two feet in before I said "Nah, gently caress it" and crawled out.

The guns work like they do in the previous VR game where the pistols don't have to reload and the shotguns fire super-fast so even with just two pistols you can kill those rocket-launching brain-walker things relatively quickly. I can't wait to play this in co-op where you have a million things to shoot. I wanna play more right now but I'm worried I'll lose track of time and be late for work.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

App13 posted:

Vive was my first VR experience and I can confirm that it made me feel really weird the first few times I tried it.

Reset your room if you move the lighthouses. The lighthouses retain state pretty well, I moved one of my lighthouses in 2 feet because it was being blocked by a monitor and when I went back in everything seemed fine until I walked into the wall since the chaperon showed was off by 2 feet.

Make sure you configure the floor with the touchpads down. When I reconfigured I didn't follow the exact instructions of the room setup and my floor was tilted about 6 inches left to right. This seemed fine but the next day I constantly felt like the world was tilted it took about 18 hours (8 hours sleep + 10 hours awake) before I finally felt that when I put my feet down they were in the right place.

In short sim sickness is real, it sucks, but you'll overcome it pretty fast.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Oculus Homes winter sale started. Over 97 titles on sale. 2 titles each day get a special sale only for that day, the rest last until Jan 7th3rd.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 21, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Reset your room if you move the lighthouses. The lighthouses retain state pretty well, I moved one of my lighthouses in 2 feet because it was being blocked by a monitor and when I went back in everything seemed fine until I walked into the wall since the chaperon showed was off by 2 feet.

Make sure you configure the floor with the touchpads down. When I reconfigured I didn't follow the exact instructions of the room setup and my floor was tilted about 6 inches left to right. This seemed fine but the next day I constantly felt like the world was tilted it took about 18 hours (8 hours sleep + 10 hours awake) before I finally felt that when I put my feet down they were in the right place.

In short sim sickness is real, it sucks, but you'll overcome it pretty fast.
I don't think they were talking about sim sickness, this is a very different sensation. I definitely felt a weird ephemerality for the first two weeks or so of using the Vive hardcore, like I had to reacclimatize myself to reality after spending so much time diving deep in VR.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I don't think they were talking about sim sickness, this is a very different sensation. I definitely felt a weird ephemerality for the first two weeks or so of using the Vive hardcore, like I had to reacclimatize myself to reality after spending so much time diving deep in VR.

Exactly. I don't really play the types of games that would make you sim sick, but I felt very disassociated for the first hour after using VR

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Not a bad haul, I got Space Pirate Trainer, The Assembly, I Expect You to Die, and Final Approach for $60.I pretty much already have every other VR game I want from Home. Now to patiently wait for the Steam Sale which I believe starts Wednesday.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

StarkRavingMad posted:

My friends own a real life Barcade and were wondering if it would be possible to replicate it (the layout of the place and everything) in New Retro Arcade. Does the game have anything built-in to do it, or can it be done with any kind of existing mod?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For any of you guys that got Serious Sam: The First Encounter and have a Rift and you want it to use the Oculus SDK instead of OpenVR, set the launch options to "+vrapi Oculus"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/552450/discussions/0/152391995424092706/#c152391995424249778

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I just built a new PC and had my Vive for about two weeks. I tried MSI Electric City which is a free roller coaster style demo where the camera moves itself which some people have reported made them feel sick , and I've had zero issues with motion sickness after playing the demo twice.

Does this bode well for me when it comes to Onward style of movement which uses the controller? Has anyone else here tried MSI Electric City? It's pretty fun if you like Tron and it's free. It's made with the Unreal Engine.

Also I personally I find non VR games really compelling using Virtual Desktop. I know people on here claim that a monitor or TV will offer a better quality picture, but I am not sure if this applies to me. I use a 52 inch 1080p Sharp LCD TV from 2006, and the colors aren't as vibrant as newer OLED TVs. I love the way non VR games look in VR desktop, especially because the magnification from the fresnel lenses provide natural anti aliasing and give CRT like look that I like. Sure the resolution is slightly under 1080p due to the virtual screen, but the vibrant colors and massive screen more than make up for it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I haven't tried stuff like Tridef or VorpX, but it is on my todo list since I love to tinker with stuff. After all isn't that what PC gaming is about?

Okay I'm off to play more Space Pirate Trainer!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

iceaim posted:

I just built a new PC and had my Vive for about two weeks. I tried MSI Electric City which is a free roller coaster style demo where the camera moves itself which some people have reported made them feel sick , and I've had zero issues with motion sickness after playing the demo twice.

Does this bode well for me when it comes to Onward style of movement which uses the controller? Has anyone else here tried MSI Electric City? It's pretty fun if you like Tron and it's free. It's made with the Unreal Engine.

Also I personally I find non VR games really compelling using Virtual Desktop. I know people on here claim that a monitor or TV will offer a better quality picture, but I am not sure if this applies to me. I use a 52 inch 1080p Sharp LCD TV from 2006, and the colors aren't as vibrant as newer OLED TVs. I love the way non VR games look in VR desktop, especially because the magnification from the fresnel lenses provide natural anti aliasing and give CRT like look that I like. Sure the resolution is slightly under 1080p due to the virtual screen, but the vibrant colors and massive screen more than make up for it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I haven't tried stuff like Tridef or VorpX, but it is on my todo list since I love to tinker with stuff. After all isn't that what PC gaming is about?

Okay I'm off to play more Space Pirate Trainer!

If the camera moving without you controlling it doesn't bother you, you should be fine with all forms artificial locomotion. People that are sensitive to motion sickness in VR are usually triggered by the camera moving when their body isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

App13 posted:

Exactly. I don't really play the types of games that would make you sim sick, but I felt very disassociated for the first hour after using VR

I remember this, it was super weird. After my first long session it was like everything was slightly off and fake and not solid and also the wrong distance away.