Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Housh posted:

Cool. Does DP/MDP carry audio like HDMI? I never used it before.

Yup. It should carry the sound signal, but you may have to go into the audio settings and enable sound over DP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
late to the thread, but I have no idea how yall with macbooks from ~2011 have so few cycles. granted, mine is beyond toast at this point (this SS is from 10 months ago.)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Housh posted:

Cool. Does DP/MDP carry audio like HDMI? I never used it before.

Depends on how old it is. I think there was one year of Macs where miniDP didn't have audio.

edit oh I just realized this is for imac TDM. No idea but your odds are pretty good!

eames
May 9, 2009

quote:

Q: We had a big MacBook Pro launch in October and a powerful upgrade to the MacBook back in the spring. Are Mac desktops strategic for us?

Cook: The desktop is very strategic for us. It’s unique compared to the notebook because you can pack a lot more performance in a desktop — the largest screens, the most memory and storage, a greater variety of I/O, and fastest performance. So there are many different reasons why desktops are really important, and in some cases critical, to people.

The current generation iMac is the best desktop we have ever made and its beautiful Retina 5K display is the best desktop display in the world.

Some folks in the media have raised the question about whether we’re committed to desktops. If there’s any doubt about that with our teams, let me be very clear: we have great desktops in our roadmap. Nobody should worry about that.

Q: What do you consider to be Apple’s biggest differentiator, and what can employees do to foster and advance those efforts?

Cook: Our greatest differentiator is our culture and our people. They are the foundation by which everything else comes about. Without great people and a great environment that people can live in, we wouldn’t have intellectual property. We wouldn’t have the best products. We wouldn’t have the inventions or features I mentioned earlier.

I think it’s that “change the world” attitude and boldness that’s deeply embedded in our culture, that “good isn’t good enough.” All of this is the fuel for everything else that we do.

From a strategic point of view, we also focus on things where software, hardware and services all come together and bring out the magic that only Apple can. That’s our secret sauce. It shows up in a lot of different places, and it’s something that we look for in new employees.

You can rarely see precisely where you want to go from the beginning. In retrospect, it’s always written like that. But it’s rarely like that. The fantastic thing about Apple employees is they get excited about something, and they want to know how it works. What it will do. What its capabilities are. If they want to know about something in an entirely different industry, they start pulling the string and see where it takes them. They’re focused more on the journey, which enables so many great things to happen.

Just in the past couple years, pulling that string on Watch and fitness led to ResearchKit, and ResearchKit led to CareKit. We’ve got a ton of things on our roadmap that I can’t talk about, but that I’m incredibly excited about, that are the result of pulling that string and not being bound by the box that so many people in life get bound by.

With so many things that we’ve done, we don’t do it because there’s an return on investment. We don’t do it because we know exactly how we’re going to use it. We do it because it’s clear it’s interesting and it might lead somewhere. A lot of the time it doesn’t, but many times it leads us somewhere where we had no idea in the beginning.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/apples-tim-cook-assures-employees-that-it-is-committed-to-the-mac-and-that-great-desktops-are-coming/

I guess that confirms new iMacs (duh).

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Hope you iMac users like usbc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish they'd just commit to updating the specs Mini or the Pro every 6 -12 months. The designs are fine, just need spec bumps at a reasonable frequency.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

You thought having no USB-a ports was bad on a laptop? Wait until you have only one on a desktop.

New iMac - 4 USB-c, 1 USB-a, and a headphone jack. Diversity and courage.

How much juice can an USB-c port draw? Because a desktop that powered over that might be cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The first wireless Mac Pro is coming, I can feel it.
How do you plug in a monitor? gently caress you, that's how.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
USB‐C ports are cool & good for workstations where you want a shittonne of bandwidth and don’t care about dongle clutter.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I could really use som advice, as I'm not quite sure what or if to upgrade.

Currently my setup today is:
- Macbook Pro (early 2010 15" i5 upgraded with SSD and 8gb RAM)
- iMac (late 2009 27" i7 without SSD)
- PC gaming computer.

This has worked really nice as I can use the iMac as display for my gaming/windows-only software PC. Both of the Macs are getting really old now and I'm running into more and more weird stuff happening on them.

To upgrade both the iMac and the Macbook Pro will be very expensive and also the new iMac's can't be used as target display for my PC. I don't have enough room, nor do I want two monitors on my desk. I've been thinking of buying a new Macbook Pro with a thunderbolt 3 dock/hub and a new display that can be used with the laptop, but I wonder if the new Macbook Pro's will be powerful enough for everything non-game related or if it is even vise to buy now reading all these issues with battery etc. I can also get a used 2015 maxed up MBP for the sameish price as a new standard one, but the difference ssems to be mostly input/outputs and bigger SSD.

Pricewise/options it boils down to this (local prices converted to USD):
- New 2016 13" MBP 2,9 GHZ i5, 256 GB SSD, 8 gb RAM ($2045)
- New 2016 15" MBP 2,6 GHZ i7, 256 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 2GB ($2600)
- Privately used 2015 15" MBP, 2,8 GHZ i7, 1TB SSD, 16 GB Ram, Radeon R9 2GB ($2600)
- Wait till september or so hoping battery issues will be fixed.

I hope to have the one MBP replace both my Mac desktop and laptop as I will use it at school and at home. As I use my PC for gaming and such the Mac will mostly be used for Adobe After Effects, inDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and such. Not heavy video or 3D stuff.

Any idea what I should do? Wait and see, or just get going on the jingle-jangle-dongle?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How new/powerful is the PC?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

How new/powerful is the PC?

It's from very late 2012, but it's chugging along nicely and I don't really miss anything when playing games like BF1 and what not. It's an 3.4 GHZ i7 with SSD, 16GB RAM and a Radeon HD 7970 3GB card.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would get the 2016 15″ MBP and a nice monitor for it and the PC.

In my view, it’s not a good idea to hold out for something better right after a new model is released, especially if it’s a “major” revision and not just a spec bump.

2015 model isn’t a terrible option, but I don’t think that’s enough of a deal to go for it.

iMacs are never massively more powerful than MBP, so I don’t think you’ll miss that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 20, 2016

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I would get the 2016 15″ MBP and a nice monitor for it and the PC.

In my view, it’s not a good idea to hold out for something better right after a new model is released, especially if it’s a “major” revision and not just a spec bump.

2015 model isn’t a terrible option, but I don’t think that’s enough of a deal to go for it.

iMacs are never massively more powerful than MBP, so I don’t think you’ll miss that.

Thank you! I am leaning that way too, and believe it will be the "cheapest" new 2016 15". I've seen a very nice Samsung monitor that will make hooking up everything a breeze, so this looks like a good solution.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Horseshit. Apple has a consistent record of following major chassis or line revisions with "housekeeping" updates that take care of what are often fundamental bugs or compromises in the first-year product.

The 2011 MBA is a substantially more capable and stable machine than the 2010 model in just about every respect thanks to Sandy Bridge-and it was $200 cheaper. The 2013 rMBP fixed a lot of the GPU issues that the inaugural 2012 model launched with- and it, too, got a price cut.

Every time a bug related to a hardware revision makes the news, at least some part of the next year's update tries to directly address it, be it GPU pairing or antenna issues.

People aren't advocating waiting a year because they expect a radically different machine. They're expecting a much more polished and stable machine.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mark Gurman shared some wild and interesting insight in his article.

bloomberg posted:

In another sign that the company has prioritized the iPhone, Apple re-organized its software engineering department so there's no longer a dedicated Mac operating system team. There is now just one team, and most of the engineers are iOS first, giving the people working on the iPhone and iPad more power.
:rip:

also notable:

bloomberg posted:

For a 2016 MacBook update, some Apple engineers wanted to add a Touch ID fingerprint scanner and a second USB-C port (which would have made some power users happy). Early prototypes of the 12-inch MacBook used the iPhone's Lightning connector, although this was ditched for a more standard USB-C port.
There was even a gold MacBook Pro planned, but this was shelved because the color didn’t look good on such a large product.
:lol:

the whole article is here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine the hubris involved with even prototyping a MacBook with a lightning port :fuckoff:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How did Apple go from “let’s add a port that’s only used for iPhone and iPhone accessories” to “let’s make it so there’s no way to connect a Mac and an iPhone to each other out‐of‐the‐box”?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hubris

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

What dongle do I need to connect that to my MBP? :byodood:

eames
May 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

What dongle do I need to connect that to my MBP? :byodood:

The golden one. Apple Dongle Edition™

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

You thought having no USB-a ports was bad on a laptop? Wait until you have only one on a desktop.

How much juice can an USB-c port draw? Because a desktop that powered over that might be cool.

We'll be lucky if it has a headphone jack.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Silly SourKraut...

If you're looking to make your desktop sleeker, more courageous, and with fewer holes you get rid of speakers, not headphone ports.

The new 27 inch iMac with same internal speaker as the Mac Mini. For $300 more than last year's model.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

Silly SourKraut...

If you're looking to make your desktop sleeker, more courageous, and with fewer holes you get rid of speakers, not headphone ports.

The new 27 inch iMac with same internal speaker as the Mac Mini. For $300 more than last year's model.
But you can't promote AirPod sales if you still give the plebeians a headphone jack!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

SourKraut posted:

One of my favorite bits of the 2016 MBP is that the headphone jack has been moved from the middle of the left side to the very back of the right side for no apparent reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Linguica posted:

One of my favorite bits of the 2016 MBP is that the headphone jack has been moved from the middle of the left side to the very back of the right side for no apparent reason.
No crap. Why have wires that are potentially coming forward on the right side (the mouse side)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Linguica posted:

still lolling at this, loving hell

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If you all just switched to the iPad Pro this would be easier.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The first wireless Mac Pro is coming, I can feel it.
How do you plug in a monitor? gently caress you, that's how.

Just wait. It'll be an Airplay only output. So you need to buy an AppleTV and stream it.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you all just switched to the iPad Pro this would be easier.

Honestly, the iPad Pro is super close to my ideal computer, considering the iPad Air 2 is our main computer and TV. Better speakers and bigger screen would be awesome. And the refurb prices are quite good when comparing to the new Touch Bar models.

But Lightroom and photo management just aren't there. As much as I love wirelessly sending over JPEGs to my phone or iPad, I don't think I could permanently move to such a setup. I've seen very few people actually using SD cards and importing with a dongle as their primary setup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

unlawfulsoup posted:

Dongle sale has been extended to March of 2017

As of December 20, Apple has officially extended these discounts on USB-C accessories (including the monitors) to the end of March 2017. All other details about the discounted pricing is the same as before.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I so want to want to buy a new MacBook pro.... but the keyboard just isn't there for me. I finally tried one. Good lord is it terrible. I'm an author, typing is what I do. Honestly it's insane they didn't just put in the same keyboard that the Magic Keyboard 2 has in the new laptops. I grabbed a 5k iMac and am so happy that I did. For my portable solution, I currently have an iPad air 2 that is pretty awesome, but could see myself upgrading to a new IPad Pro when they come out in the spring... At least this way I can still use a good keyboard with it. It's honestly just a lack of photo management that keeps an iPad from being the ultimate portable for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Depends on how courageous those engineers are.

Krispy Kareem posted:

When Mac sales crater this next year, will Apple believe their engineers weren't courageous enough?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Truly, the most courageous of toilets.

Krispy Kareem posted:

But hey, I guess they can still brag about how wireless their phones are by courageously removing one of the two cables.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those developers showed courage.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Krispy Kareem posted:

lmao dude you sound like a reddit comments section

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

eames posted:

Mark Gurman shared some wild and interesting insight in his article.

:rip:

also notable:
:lol:

the whole article is here

if the entirety of this is true, that's kinda disappointing. the fact that there's no clear "vision" and they have engineers working on two designs is a bit worrisome.

also this quote:

quote:

In a stinging critique, Peter Kirn, founder of a website for music and video creators, wrote: "This is a company with no real vision for what its most creative users actually do with their most advanced machines."
rings true for me about the current macbook pros. are they just general laptops for publics or for actual "pros"? because if it's the latter they seem to not actually know what their users want/desire.

LionArcher posted:

I so want to want to buy a new MacBook pro.... but the keyboard just isn't there for me. I finally tried one. Good lord is it terrible. I'm an author, typing is what I do. Honestly it's insane they didn't just put in the same keyboard that the Magic Keyboard 2 has in the new laptops. I grabbed a 5k iMac and am so happy that I did. For my portable solution, I currently have an iPad air 2 that is pretty awesome, but could see myself upgrading to a new IPad Pro when they come out in the spring... At least this way I can still use a good keyboard with it. It's honestly just a lack of photo management that keeps an iPad from being the ultimate portable for me.

i would say the only opinion that's really changed for me about the new macbook pros is the keyboard.

i do a lot of programming, and while it isn't as good as the prev gen macbook pros it's passable with practice. if i didn't hate everything else about the 2016 model and i didn't care about battery worries, the keyboard would not stop me from purchasing one. you should go back and try the keyboard again if nothing else about the macbook pro annoys you.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

if the entirety of this is true, that's kinda disappointing. the fact that there's no clear "vision" and they have engineers working on two designs is a bit worrisome.

also this quote:

rings true for me about the current macbook pros. are they just general laptops for publics or for actual "pros"? because if it's the latter they seem to not actually know what their users want/desire.

i would say the only opinion that's really changed for me about the new macbook pros is the keyboard.

i do a lot of programming, and while it isn't as good as the prev gen macbook pros it's passable with practice. if i didn't hate everything else about the 2016 model and i didn't care about battery worries, the keyboard would not stop me from purchasing one. you should go back and try the keyboard again if nothing else about the macbook pro annoys you.

Sigh. Fair enough. I'll give it a try next week.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am feeling better (long-run) about dumping my Apple stock now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

lmao dude you sound like a reddit comments section

Someone wrote that word down on a sheet of paper and it went through multiple editorial and legal approvals before Phil Schiller got up on stage and spoke it at what has arguably been the biggest reveal in tech each year for almost a decade. And I'm going to honor that.

Think Different? Think Courage.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Biggest reveal in tech in a decade?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I am feeling better (long-run) about dumping my Apple stock now.

Give it enough time and we'll be saying that about every American company that isn't a defense contractor :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Give it enough time and we'll be saying that about every American company that isn't a defense contractor :unsmigghh:

lol if you have investments that aren’t Vault‐Tec