Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

We Know Catheters posted:

Star Wars is trash and they explained why the movie was bad. A+ review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also like how jay and rich repeating themselves saying "i can't fault the movie for trying to do something different, but it didn't work" and "it's a well done movie, just boring" so many times i was getting annoyed somehow amounts to the most savage negative review the red letter media guys have ever produced

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, the same guys that consistently point out how one of the (many) reasons the prequels were bad was the pandering to children.

Same. Saw it in a completely full IMAX theater on opening day.

Even so, honestly, what's worse, the nerd who sees fanservice and indulges in it, fully aware of what it is? Or the nerd to has to be all contrary, "actually you can't enjoy this because its fanservice"

idk depends i guess. I indulge in it a bit. the vader scene in the hallways was basically what me and my friend wanted in the movie since it was announced except better in some ways. the other stuff except for the last death star firing sequence and maybe the pilots, i felt fit. i didnt notice the blue milk or care, the cantina dudes were a chuckle but not needed. and i rolled my eyes at the threepeoo line. tarkin was ok but he definaly uncanny valley, he felt like an LA noir character. leia was ok. the one thing i dont get is why they were so pissy over the loving AT-ST. like really thats what the bitch about. i guess some nerd came over it, but it kinda just fit with the scene. the imperials sent in some armor to wipe out the rebels, it worked for me.

oohhboy posted:

What the poo poo RLM? You fan wank over TFA, but suddenly story critical characters and period accurate technology are verboten? You judged the movie based on the loving audience? You complained it wasn't a heist movie when it was clearly sold as a dirty dozen movie? How do you miss the awesome sight of the Death Star breaking the horizon? Heck even the space battle was period accurate in how they framed it, they even look like the toys they are made from. I could go on and on.

TFA is a poo poo movie. What a loving troll review.

They needed to connect the end of R1 to ANH. It filled in why Vadar knew who to chase, why he is so pissed off and how Leia got the plans. Showing the Tantive IV costed no more than 30 seconds in a plot critical moment. It showed how desperate the struggle was as the troopers pass the plans on. Vadar gets somewhat rehabilitated into a badass who is rightly feared.

What was a waste of time was when Kerrinc begged Vadar for an audience with the Emperor. That was truly fan wank and needed to be cut.

agree with the first part. I didnt mind the other scene. 1. because it shows vader still clings to the past and 2. it shows even more that krennic is dickhead whiny careerist who is getting cucked by everyone.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Movie has a CGI battle sequence that is genuinely clever and easy to follow, with no shakey cam. Unheard of in the modern age. Just treat it like a war movie where the characters are all cannon fodder and enjoy yourselves.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

enjoy yourselves.

no

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
wheres my kotor3 bioware?!?!?!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk depends i guess. I indulge in it a bit. the vader scene in the hallways was basically what me and my friend wanted in the movie since it was announced except better in some ways. the other stuff except for the last death star firing sequence and maybe the pilots, i felt fit. i didnt notice the blue milk or care, the cantina dudes were a chuckle but not needed. and i rolled my eyes at the threepeoo line. tarkin was ok but he definaly uncanny valley, he felt like an LA noir character. leia was ok. the one thing i dont get is why they were so pissy over the loving AT-ST. like really thats what the bitch about. i guess some nerd came over it, but it kinda just fit with the scene. the imperials sent in some armor to wipe out the rebels, it worked for me.

agree with the first part. I didnt mind the other scene. 1. because it shows vader still clings to the past and 2. it shows even more that krennic is dickhead whiny careerist who is getting cucked by everyone.

I feel like some "fan service" is baked in to this particular story and is really just part of the setting like Darth Vader, Imperial forces, Rebel X-Wings, etc. But one of the things RLM hated about the prequels was the fatalism and inevitability of Anakin's storyline. With the Death Star plans they know Darth Vader will get involved somehow it's hard to surprise the RLM crew and that is what they want.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i liked rogue one a lot and felt it was on par with the force awakens. i actually liked r1 more than force awakens. the rlm guys have a point though, the two central characters were pretty weak. i really felt the two chinese guys were a missed opportunity in that they didn't do much but they were pretty cool. wish i could have been more sad when they died.
k2s0 is the best robot in a star wars movie tho.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry guys the next Star Wars movie will be great

I hear its about Booba Feet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scionix posted:

It's called mass effect

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's called mass effect

Mass Effect is definitely more Star Trek than Wars

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
My gripe about this movie is that it seems like an Avenger's movie without the origin movies of the big players already in place. I can see, if enough fan hype is generated, solo movies for Saw Gerrera, Chirrut Imwe/Baze Malbus and Captain Cassian/K-2SO. The problem is could origin movies for these characters stand on their own before a Rogue One movie, and that is incredibly unlikely.

My other big gripe is the silly callbacks, did R2-D2/C3PO need to be at Yavin, did the 2 dudes from Mos Eisley need to be at Jedah? Some of those callbacks only serve to make the universe smaller than it needs to be. Grand Moff Tarkin worked as a call back (Uncanny Valley aside), and honestly I think that was most if not all that was needed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
All I want to come of R1 is a future Star Wars film to be basically a space kung-fu movie. Since Master Ip died, they should get the guy from Ong Bak to play a lowly Jedi kung-fu protege who has to defend his small farming village from evil in the super mega space tournament.

Climax is when he uses the Force to catch a lightsaber blade in his hand.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Moff Tarkin isn't a "call back" he's the dude in charge of the Death Star, you should expect him to be in a movie where the plot is "capture the Death Star plans."

Same thing with AT-STs or whatever. They are things the Empire has, they're not fan service. It'd be weirder if this movie showed a bunch of Empire tech that we never see in the original trilogy given the time frame.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Technically they are AT-ACTs different, weaker model.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When the white admiral guy is getting force choked by Vader and then Vader says, "don't choke on your own ambitions." I cringed and facepalmed and then rolled my eyes and looked around and then let out a long sigh realizing everybody loved it instead of thinking it was corny schlock.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Star Wars is corny schlock

I HOPE THIS HELPS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

When the white admiral guy is getting force choked by Vader and then Vader says, "don't choke on your own ambitions." I cringed and facepalmed and then rolled my eyes and looked around and then let out a long sigh realizing everybody loved it instead of thinking it was corny schlock.

It's totally fine if he delivers a one liner there, but having it be a pun makes it so loving lame. Anything else would be better.

"Request denied, Director." Boom, done.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Don't worry guys the next Star Wars movie will be great

I hear its about Booba Feet

I remember that character, therefore that movie will be good.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, the same guys that consistently point out how one of the (many) reasons the prequels were bad was the pandering to children.

This is actually wrong. RLM never claimed these movies were for children, but they do specifically address the people who defend the prequels sucking because they pandered to children. "Well you saw the original trilogy when you were kids so it makes sense you'd hate the prequels for pandering to children". They repeatedly point out the difference between a kids movie and a movie that kids happen to enjoy. In fact one of my favourite gags they do are the kids watching the TV and showing the boring loving senate scenes and they go "yeah I really wanna play that in my backyard!" Or Anakin getting gruesomely burned alive they say '"hey anyone still wanna make the argument that these movies are for children? I offer now as the time to bring that up".

The main issue with R1 is the one-dimensional characters. We've got a big dude with a big gun, a possible Jedi-monk character, stone cold rebel spy assassin, girl who was taken from her father. Hell take a chance and have the two asian guys kiss just before the big wave of destruction hits them or something. Have Cardassian show remorse or redemption or something, make his death mean something, anything! My brother wanted Jyn Ersso to be an Imperial spy all along, gathering intel on the Rebel base. If written well it could have been a really cool twist.

This is why RLM loved TFA so much. We learn everything we need to know about Rey in her first 5 minutes without any dialogue, and we actually care about her by the time she meets BB-8. Now the stakes matter!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

when christmas best of the worst

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Star Wars is corny schlock

I HOPE THIS HELPS

This is definitely true but that scene really didn't make sense with the darker, grittier tone of Rogue One.

WampaLord posted:

It's totally fine if he delivers a one liner there, but having it be a pun makes it so loving lame. Anything else would be better.

"Request denied, Director." Boom, done.

That's what I was thinking. They were trying to have another "Your lack of faith disturbs me" moment but they gave him a pun on-par with an 80's Schwarzenegger movie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DO IT TO IT posted:

What are next?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Amish Lumberjack Jay best Jay

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Capntastic posted:

C3PO was made by Darth Vader and they never got reunited

Scionix posted:

Unfortunately, http://www.swtor.com/

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

DO IT TO IT posted:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Jesus christ this is terrible.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
all thease butthurt comments and the rapidly growing dislike bar on the video are getting my cock so hard. i feed on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dreezy posted:

all thease butthurt comments and the rapidly growing dislike bar on the video are getting my cock so hard. i feed on it.

So do they

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

How dare RLM dislike a movie I liked whose only interesting feature was an action sequence!?

Anybody else imagine Darth Vader's lava fortress as EmPalSuRecon? I was a bit surprised when they didn't draw the conclusion that Vader was forced to live on the lava planet by the Emperor just to gently caress with him.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Emperor Palpatine's first name is Sheev.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KakerMix posted:

So do they

Now that I've started watching the Previously Recorded streams (truly the freebase crack of RLM content) I can see that Rich Evans is just this growing ball of contempt for his fans. I think the fact that they even have to talk about every one of the Star Wars movies because it's expected of them is enough to put them in a bad mood with Star Wars fans (and their own fans).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RLM was right about this movie and Rich Evans is always the most right.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Now that I've started watching the Previously Recorded streams (truly the freebase crack of RLM content) I can see that Rich Evans is just this growing ball of contempt for his fans. I think the fact that they even have to talk about every one of the Star Wars movies because it's expected of them is enough to put them in a bad mood with Star Wars fans (and their own fans).

They're like a band trying to promote their new stuff (Space Cop) while the entire crowd screams for them to play their big hit that made them famous (Star Wars reviews).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

They're like a band trying to promote their new stuff (Space Cop) while the entire crowd screams for them to play their big hit that made them famous (Star Wars reviews).

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
like the radiohead song creep, which also perfectly describes rich evans.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh yeah if any of u are on the fence about watching that Dirk Gently show, the bad guy is literally Plinkett. its weird to see him outside the house

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

All I want to come of R1 is a future Star Wars film to be basically a space kung-fu movie. Since Master Ip died, they should get the guy from Ong Bak to play a lowly Jedi kung-fu protege who has to defend his small farming village from evil in the super mega space tournament.

Climax is when he uses the Force to catch a lightsaber blade in his hand.

A star wars 7 Samurai might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
R1 really needed better characters but I do think some of their complaints are kind of silly.

It's like "Why does this World War 2 movie have Panzers in it? And Hitler? Remember PANZERS AND HITLER? Nostalgia.... ?"

• Locked thread