Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pane-bianco-recipe

Planning to try this recipe after I make that cranberry bread posted above. Or possibly before. I can't decide. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Does anyone know of a great Swedish Limpa bread recipe? My grandmother mentioned that she wanted to have some and hadn't found anything good in town, so I figure I can try my hand at it myself. I know it should have a bunch of rye flour, anise, fennel and molasses according to her, but having never had it myself I'm in the dark on where to look for recipes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I literally just realized how easy it is to bake bread two weeks ago and I've been baking it every few days since. Super simple right now, just flour/water/yeast/salt making basic buns, but I plan to step it up in '17.

I wish I'd realized this years ago. I always thought it was a super laborious process, but it takes like two minutes to prep, a few hours to sit, and then maybe 30 minutes work max before it's time to toss it in the oven.

I think that /literally/ the hardest thing about making bread is not digging into it immediately after it comes out of the oven.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I literally just realized how easy it is to bake bread two weeks ago and I've been baking it every few days since. Super simple right now, just flour/water/yeast/salt making basic buns, but I plan to step it up in '17.

I wish I'd realized this years ago. I always thought it was a super laborious process, but it takes like two minutes to prep, a few hours to sit, and then maybe 30 minutes work max before it's time to toss it in the oven.

I think that /literally/ the hardest thing about making bread is not digging into it immediately after it comes out of the oven.
Exactly.

I started baking bread out of Flour Water Salt Yeast 3 months ago yesterday and one of the first things I tell people when they gush about "oh my god, you bake such good bread" is "it's actually really easy, it's just 45 minutes of effort spread out across 7-ish hours."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everyone thinks it's a lot of time but it's only a lot of your time if you are yeast

e: just realized my starter's first birthday is some time this week :3:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Man, I gave challah a go the other day and after months of sourdough it felt like cheating. Instant yeast is so easy.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This is the bread that sustains me whenever I have the chance to bake it. It's from a Swedish recipe book and called "Finnish rye bread". It's crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Keeps very well, too.

Day 1:

125g sourdough
250g water (2 1/2 dl)
400g semi-course rye flour

mix it all together and leave it for 12 hours. I like to use a bit more water than that, as it usually gets a little too dry.

Day 2:

30g yeast
180g water (1,8 dl)
500g soured milk (5 dl)
675g fine rye flour
30g salt

you mix the yeast with the water and mix it along with all the other ingredients apart from the salt. Use a bread mixer if you have it, 10 minutes at the lowest setting, then add the salt, then five more minutes. Then the dough is supposed to rest in an oiled plastic container, but using container you mixed it in works fine too. Split the dough in half, make two round buns and let it leaven on a surface with plenty of flour (it gets sticky). For convenience's sake I usually let them leaven on the plate you're baking them on. Let them leaven for 60-90 minutes, set the oven to 250 degrees Celsius. You'll probably be baking one at a time, but that's fine. Spray plenty of water in the oven when you put them in. Lower the temperature to 190 after five minutes. Open the oven door after another ten minutes. Bake for 60 minutes and then put them on a grill.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pane-bianco-recipe

Planning to try this recipe after I make that cranberry bread posted above. Or possibly before. I can't decide. :ohdear:

Going back to this recipe, is there any reason I shouldn't mix all of the tomatoes, basil, and cheese into the dough while I'm making said dough, as opposed to folding them in after the dough is made like the recipe says? This'll be either my first or second time making bread, and I want to make sure everything is well-mixed.

I'm planning on just doing this as a regular loaf, and not folding it into an S-shape like in the recipe.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i meant to reprise that cranberry spelt bread i posted the other week (which was AWESOME) but i got high and forgot to buy cranberries so i just used the last of some figs I'd forgotten about in the fridge and some golden raisins and 2 cups of toasted pecans. also its 80% hydration white>spelt>wheat and my first outing w/ this king arthur special patent flour. These guys didn't really open up much at all on top and it really hurt my oven spring i think so I'm probably going back to scoring next time

Going back to this recipe, is there any reason I shouldn't mix all of the tomatoes, basil, and cheese into the dough while I'm making said dough, as opposed to folding them in after the dough is made like the recipe says? This'll be either my first or second time making bread, and I want to make sure everything is well-mixed.

I'm planning on just doing this as a regular loaf, and not folding it into an S-shape like in the recipe.

adding fruit and nuts and whatnot can interfere with gluten development if you add them before there's any gluten development. also in more practical terms if you mix things like tomatoes or raisins or nuts in homogenously from the start you'll end up with a lot more of them poking through the outer skin of the shaped dough where theyll burn in the oven, and may lead to tearing that will sabotage your shaping efforts

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 20, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mutar posted:

Does anyone know of a great Swedish Limpa bread recipe? My grandmother mentioned that she wanted to have some and hadn't found anything good in town, so I figure I can try my hand at it myself. I know it should have a bunch of rye flour, anise, fennel and molasses according to her, but having never had it myself I'm in the dark on where to look for recipes.

I found one online that's worked well for me. Here's a rough translation (measurements in metric, deal with it)

Ingredients:
One packet instant dry yeast (12 g)
1 dl water
4 dl milk
50 g butter
1 dl molasses
2 tsp salt
4 tsp mixed bread-spices (a ground mixture of aniseed, fennel, and cumin)
900 g sifted rye flour (plus some more for shaping)

Instructions:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the water, milk, salt, molasses, and spice blend, and heat until it reaches body temperature.
2. Mix the yeast with the wet ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add the flour, and knead until you have a firm dough. Add more flour if necessary.
4. Let rise for 30-45 minutes (until it's doubled in size).
5. Put the dough on a countertop, and punch it down. Shape the dough into two loaves, and put them on a baking sheet, sprinkle some flour on them and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
6. Bake for 30 minutes in a 200C oven.
7. Let the loaves cool.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poverty goat posted:

adding fruit and nuts and whatnot can interfere with gluten development if you add them before there's any gluten development. also in more practical terms if you mix things like tomatoes or raisins or nuts in homogenously from the start you'll end up with a lot more of them poking through the outer skin of the shaped dough where theyll burn in the oven, and may lead to tearing that will sabotage your shaping efforts

So when would be the best time to add them in, then? Should I do it before or after the dough has risen? Can I still use a mixer to mix them in after the dough has doubled in bulk?

Again, I've never made bread before, and I'd like to make my first loaf today or tomorrow since I'm going out of town for Christmas tomorrow night.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 20, 2016

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Mutar posted:

What Tasteful Dickpic posted above looks good, but if you want to try one that has a white flour with the whole wheat, here's what I generally use around the holidays. The reason I do this instead of 100% rye is because most Swedish limpa bread is made with rågsikt (40/60 rye/white flour), not rågmjöl (100% rye flour). Takes most of a day, so you'd have to plan well, but the results have always been great.

1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp anise seed
1 1/2 cups hot water
4 1/2 cups AP flour
2 cups rye flour

Place 1/4 cup warm water and yeast in a bowl. Stir to combine and leave for 5 to 10 minutes, until frothy. In the meantime, combine brown sugar, molasses, shortening/butter, salt, caraway seed and anise seed in a large bowl. Pour the hot water over the ingredients in the bowl, stir and set aside until lukewarm (about 5 minutes).

Add a cup of flour to the sugar mixture and beat until smooth. Add the yeast mixture and mix well. Add the rye flour and up to 3 1/2 cups AP flour, but not more than required to make a soft, slightly tacky (but not sticky) dough. Knead until soft and tacky, then form into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Turn to coat. Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let stand in a warm place until doubled (about 2 hours).

Punch the dough down, then pull the edges into the center and turn dough completely over in the bowl. Cover and let rise again until nearly doubled. Punch down again, then turn out onto a floured work surface.

Grease a baking sheet. Divide the dough into two portions and shape into balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Place on the baking sheet, then cover and let rise until nearly doubled. Turn the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on wire rack before carving.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So when would be the best time to add them in, then? Should I do it before or after the dough has risen? Can I still use a mixer to mix them in after the dough has doubled in bulk?

Again, I've never made bread before, and I'd like to make my first loaf today or tomorrow since I'm going out of town for Christmas tomorrow night.

Don't mix after first rise unless asked for. Follow the recipe and shape the roll so it fits your loaf pan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Don't mix after first rise unless asked for. Follow the recipe and shape the roll so it fits your loaf pan.

So mix them in toward the end of the dough-mixing process, after the dough has already formed?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

After the first rise you roll the dough into a sheet, put the filling on top, roll it and put that roll into your pan. Then it rests for secondary. There is no second mixing. We may be talking past each other.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

These guys didn't really open up much at all on top and it really hurt my oven spring i think so I'm probably going back to scoring next time

Speaking of this, the next thing I'm wanting to fix for my loaves is getting my scores to open properly. I switched to wet towels at the bottom of the oven and that's giving me a nice crackly crust, but my scores still aren't opening. I figured for my next attempt i'd spray the loaves down with water and cover them for the first half of the bake, but is there anything else I ought to be doing? I'm using a gas convection oven so it's a bit on the dry side even with the towels, I think.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

After the first rise you roll the dough into a sheet, put the filling on top, roll it and put that roll into your pan. Then it rests for secondary. There is no second mixing. We may be talking past each other.

Oh, so I need a rolling pin, then? I was hoping I could just dump the fillings into the mixer and let them mix in the dough that way. :shepface:

Not sure why I didn't think to buy a rolling pin when I was out buying ingredients and loaf pans. Guess I need to make another trip to Bed Bath & Beyond tomorrow.

\/\/\/ Or that. I have one of those.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wine bottle

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, so I need a rolling pin, then? I was hoping I could just dump the fillings into the mixer and let them mix in the dough that way. :shepface:

Not sure why I didn't think to buy a rolling pin when I was out buying ingredients and loaf pans. Guess I need to make another trip to Bed Bath & Beyond tomorrow.

\/\/\/ Or that. I have one of those.

You can add whatever you like while it's mixing and it'll turn out fine.
Every place I've worked where we made breads with fruit, nuts, whatever in it always gets added in the last couple minutes of mixing.
Any more than that any things get broken up too much.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stringent posted:

Speaking of this, the next thing I'm wanting to fix for my loaves is getting my scores to open properly. I switched to wet towels at the bottom of the oven and that's giving me a nice crackly crust, but my scores still aren't opening. I figured for my next attempt i'd spray the loaves down with water and cover them for the first half of the bake, but is there anything else I ought to be doing? I'm using a gas convection oven so it's a bit on the dry side even with the towels, I think.

Score more deeply. It should go pretty significantly into the loaf, more than seems right.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it normal for bread dough to look like it's not doing anything during the first rise? My dough has been sitting in a bowl covered in aluminum foil for about an hour now, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger, and apart from adding the filling mix during the last couple minutes of making the dough I've been following the recipe exactly.

What's going wrong? Could it be that my room is too cold?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What is your room temp?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thumposaurus posted:

What is your room temp?

Low to mid 60s. Not exactly warm. For the second rise I had to warm the oven up a little and stick the dough in there.

The bread tastes okay, but the loaf kinda looks like crap, and it was hard to tell whether the dough underwent any growth at all.

I'll post a photo of the aftermath a bit later.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2016

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a thermometer for next time and take the temps of your room, your starter (if using one), and the flour. Ideally you calculate for friction too but with home machines it's not such a big deal.

Most doughs are happiest between 74-77 degrees F. Take that number say 75 and multiply it by 3 if using a starter 2 if not. Then subtract the flour and air temps from it. The number you're left with is the temperature your water will need to be at to hit your desired dough temperature.

It's not a necessary step for home bakers but it helps to make things more consistant since if you're making the same dough alot you'll end up with similar time tables for proofing times. In larger industrial baking it's a required step.

Sometimes depending on the time of year we'd even start off mixing with ice water to hit our desired temp.

If you keep track of the temps as you make batch after batch you can figure out the friction factor for your machine and be able to get within +/- 1 degree from your desired temp every single time.

The big spiral mixer I used at the last place I worked would add 26 degrees just in friction too the dough while mixing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ideal rising/proofing temp is 78-82F per my sourdough-related readings (though yeast will obviously do its thing outside this range, i suppose it's a matter of preference/timing). You don't really want to garget that temp with your initial mix, though, if your room temp is significantly warmer or cooler. You want it to spend as much time in that zone as possible, which means aiming high or low depending on your room temp. ie if the room is much cooler you'll want to aim high so that it will pass through the full goldilocks zone as it settles to room temp. If you mix at 75 in a 60 degree room it'll be cold before you know it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 22, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made the starter for the cranberry orange bread. It's sitting in my kitchen.

I want to make the bread now, but I can't because the starter has to sit out overnight.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So it occurred to me that I don't really know how to knock back the bread dough. Since I'm not doing the braiding step the recipe calls for, I'm guessing I needed to at least roll the dough with a rolling pin. Instead I just picked the dough up with my fingers and moved it between my hands.

Other than that, things are going good so far. The dough actually rose this time, so that's good, although since I majorly half-assed the knock-back step, the final loaf might not look too pretty. Should (hopefully) still taste good, though.

EDIT: Several hours later, bread just came out of the oven and it looks p legit. Not as great as what most people in this thread could probably achieve, but not bad for my second loaf and much better than my first one. It's cooling right now and I'll post pics in a bit.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Grevling posted:

This is the bread that sustains me whenever I have the chance to bake it. It's from a Swedish recipe book and called "Finnish rye bread".

A Martin Johansson recipe, right? That's one of my favourites as well. It's easy to get it to look really pretty as well. The crust gets really dark brown so any scoring on it looks really great against a white flour dusted surface. . You can also just dust it with flour without scoring it and get a nice pattern since the crust breaks up so nicely in small white specks.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Quick dumb question please.

I make a simple pizza dough recipe that is supposed to be left to rise for ~2 hours. If I want to make it farther in advance (like 8 hours?) do I just put it in the fridge after the normal 2 hours and take it out when I am ready to use it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

before, it'll rise as the dough cools and warms when you take it back out. Stretching is easier at room temp.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

before, it'll rise as the dough cools and warms when you take it back out. Stretching is easier at room temp.

? I'm really dumb. You mean I should put it in the fridge immediately upon making the dough and then take it out ~2 hours before using it?

woah

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yep.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It all sounds crazy but I'm doing it!!!

I still covered it with a damp cloth when I put it in the fridge... no idea if that still matters...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

airtight seal would be best but likely won't matter for six hours, damp was good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My brother wants me to bake some white bread for him :kimchi: but I don't have time tomorrow to wait for the first rise, so I'm gonna mix the dough tonight and leave it in the mixing bowl, oiled up and covered, in the fridge. Any other steps I should take? Should I let it come to room temp in the morning before shaping it into loaves?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

airtight seal would be best but likely won't matter for six hours, damp was good.

fyi i made the dough and it was pretty good. thank you

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My stupid dollar store mixing bowl is too big for cling wrap but thankfully if I invert a dinner plate and plop it down into the bowl it makes a fairly tight seal. Works great for the three hours I leave my buns to rise.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Martytoof posted:

My stupid dollar store mixing bowl is too big for cling wrap but thankfully if I invert a dinner plate and plop it down into the bowl it makes a fairly tight seal. Works great for the three hours I leave my buns to rise.

Make sure you've still got room for rising!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm trying to decide what to bake next. So far I've done tomato bread and cranberry orange bread.

I was thinking about doing a smoked bread recipe from this cookbook I have, but I'm open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I need advice! I started the below recipe last night, and it's seemingly gone to poo poo. It seemed fine through all the stages, although it did seem incredibly hydrated and stickier than expected as I was kneading it. I got to the poke test phase, and it seemed pretty meh, but also really wet still. I think perhaps my yeast has died (Fleischmanns Breadmachine, not sure how old it is but it says it's not expired), or maybe its Trader Joes flour instead of KA (supposedly has a higher protein content)? I decided to proceed because why not, and I probably added another full cup of flour to it while kneading it further before it wasn't a huge mushy mess. It's resting right now. Any ideas where I went wrong? I followed the steps to a T. Thanks.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-bread