Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Oh man, I hope I didn't miss "how much I hate Lena Dunham" chat cause I've been saving up a good one.

quote:

Lena Dunham has a new role — spokesperson for a national campaign on behalf of independent bookstores.
In a statement issued Wednesday through the booksellers association, Dunham said that independent bookstores were a “cornerstone” of her identity.
Bookstores, she added, were “places for learning, community-building, and falling in love with strangers.”

Not listed: buying books.
Independent bookstores are for selling liberal coastal smugness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CrumFUNist! posted:

At this point Vice, Slate, Salon, Vox, HuffPo etc are all the same lovely site. Gawker is at an unattainable level of terrible and was not included in that list on purpose.

I'd argue that if I wanted to get more nitty-gritty on poo poo but I agree with you that they're kinda the same umbrella of headline based, preaching to the choir, news sites that mainly exist to affirm beliefs rather than do major reporting aside from very rare exceptional events.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

Pokemon Go to Hell is unironically better than Pokemon Go to the Polls

man this sequel to All Dogs Go To Heaven is dark

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

logikv9 posted:

gawker is dead, though

Its sites like Jezebel and Deadspin are still alive and other than Deadspin's Why Your Team Sucks, there's no redeeming value to their properties.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

and I, for one, am glad

see i don't like gawker but the way it died, at the hands of peter "cocaine" thiel was just ugh. and the lawyers behind it are going to use those same tactics versus other sites that aren't as widely despised

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

That DICK! posted:

Is that the chvrches

That's Mandy Moore

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

logikv9 posted:

the image he posted literally has lines for "name" "address" and "political party", he could've put a nice black box over address

Okay I get what you mean now, sorry about being dense.

He seems kind of lazy so I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of doing extra work never occurred to him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Oh man, I hope I didn't miss "how much I hate Lena Dunham" chat cause I've been saving up a good one.

Thinking "<thing x> is part of what made Lena Dunham Lena Dunham!" is a good selling point for thing X is the most loving Lena Dunham thing

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Do you think she has ever bought a book from an independent bookstore

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why your team sucks The Browns causes asphyxiation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay I get what you mean now, sorry about being dense.

He seems kind of lazy so I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of doing extra work never occurred to him.

I am totally willing to believe it was laziness rather than malice yea.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

American Prospect has a longform up that explores attitudes of the white working class that are ideologically fluid. There is support there for progressive ideas like higher taxes on the rich to help poorer communities, but these are also tied with an institutional distrust of government with all the "run it like a household" this implies. As a result, the GOP has an institutional advantage there for as long as that attitude holds and for as long as the Democrats were visibly in charge. So yeah, genuine economic populism has potential, but it'll require direct localized dialogue with these communities.

If the Republicans shift back to record deficit spending and grift as we saw in the Bush years, there could conceivably be a path forward by railing against obvious corruption. The backlash against the bathroom law in North Carolina might also be an example of something to target, as many working-class whites are ambivalent to LGBT rights, but oppose active persecution if its blatant enough. A nationwide Moral Mondays-style response to things like that, coupled with "they're wasting time on this while our factory jobs leave?" could have potential as a narrative.
http://prospect.org/article/mapping-white-working-class

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

logikv9 posted:

the image he posted literally has lines for "name" "address" and "political party", he could've put a nice black box over address

Over info publically available and already shared by multiple outlets online. Yeah sure, buddy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

every place should remove comment boxes

And as a followup any journalist who uses twitter, facebook, or reddit comments as the basis for a story, or for quotes in a story should be fired the moment they hit "submit" on that story.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Unless that story is "internet comments are terrible and not worth the paper they aren't printed on".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anyway, that's my internet comment.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thoguh posted:

And as a followup any journalist who uses twitter, facebook, or reddit comments as the basis for a story, or for quotes in a story should be fired the moment they hit "submit" on that story.

Rip cnn

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

new phone who dis posted:

Over info publically available and already shared by multiple outlets online. Yeah sure, buddy.

"Publicly available" is a dumb statement. There's a lot of info publicly available, but if it's presented as "This is the address of a Democrat garbage person" it takes on a very different meaning!" Context matters.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was busy writing up the duel from An New Hope with Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton replacing Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader but then I realized that would probably count as primary salt

also it would be way too optimistic for me

logikv9 posted:

see i don't like gawker but the way it died, at the hands of peter "cocaine" thiel was just ugh. and the lawyers behind it are going to use those same tactics versus other sites that aren't as widely despised

I never had a problem with gawker and still don't, but holy poo poo the tactics of Thiel are scary as gently caress and really do not make me feel good about the future of the free press

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
cnns writing a story using my posts as a source and boy, let me tell ya, its dire

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

and I, for one, am glad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/DavidPontious/status/811295066618634240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:suicide:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

The Bernie Bro Narrative :suicide:

Yeah though I actually think Traditional Journalism is super important and they undermine themselves by relying on dumb social-media rumor-mill poo poo just as much as end-users do

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm not sure what an internal video department is or does so it might be a lateral move

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Studio posted:

"Publicly available" is a dumb statement. There's a lot of info publicly available, but if it's presented as "This is the address of a Democrat garbage person" it takes on a very different meaning!" Context matters.

It wasn't presented in that way at all. It was presented as "this is evidence this public figure lied to millions of people."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure what an internal video department is or does so it might be a lateral move

quote:

Historically, the media center has been used by senators to craft videos for their constituents in their home states. But with the Democratic National Committee in some turmoil until a new chairman is selected and the party losing the White House, the 48-member Democratic minority views itself as the party's chief messaging arm next year, according to a Democratic leadership aide.

"It's incumbent on us to create some of the more creative, buzzy, viral content," the Democrat said. "The current, existing DMC wasn't built to do that."

A second Democrat familiar with the new operation said it will add "new ideas and perspectives to add capacity for high-quality, rapid response digital content that speaks to people and families and that can be used by Senate Democrats."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

id imagine they work on those meaningless little videos that senators cut for, like, christmas things for their constituents

so, like, who gives a gently caress

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

if they were responsible for that lovely dnc singing video then i can't see the flaw in firing them

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Somehow they'll blow 1.2 billion on this too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think the only problem is that they're taking too long to fire the next batch as well.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXDe8HxHBA

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the only problem is that they're taking too long to fire the next batch as well.

pre-emptively fire all democrats

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

CrumFUNist! posted:

Somehow they'll blow 1.2 billion on this too.

"Hello, Lena? It's Chuck here. Look we just cleaned house and really need to tap into the millenials for the good of the country l. We need a Sensual Pantsuit for Sanders, if you will.

Will you help us and save the country the only way you know how?"

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

new phone who dis posted:

It wasn't presented in that way at all. It was presented as "this is evidence this public figure lied to millions of people."

The address isn't part of the evidence though. Like that's the problem, the address adds nothing. It doesn't make Dunham more or less of a garbage person, it doesn't make the evidence more or less correct (Like are people going to crosscheck for other Lena Dunham's?), it doesn't do anything but up the odds that some rear end in a top hat actually goes to her address to do something. 99.9% of the people wouldn't even think about going to that address, but it only takes one idiot to cause harm. If it was crucial to share her address to point out her lying, then there's a reason to show it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Like physical force, doxxing is probably bad unless it involves Nazis.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Thoguh posted:

you mean unless it's against nazis

it has involved nazis quite often

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Thoguh posted:

leave the doxxing to the professionals at NSA please

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hitler was a fantastic doxxer

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You shouldn't encourage people to kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Studio posted:

The address isn't part of the evidence though. Like that's the problem, the address adds nothing. It doesn't make Dunham more or less of a garbage person, it doesn't make the evidence more or less correct (Like are people going to crosscheck for other Lena Dunham's?), it doesn't do anything but up the odds that some rear end in a top hat actually goes to her address to do something. 99.9% of the people wouldn't even think about going to that address, but it only takes one idiot to cause harm. If it was crucial to share her address to point out her lying, then there's a reason to show it.

Somewhere Gwyneth Paltrow is sending a fruit basket and a thank you card to Lena Dunham for taking from her the mantle of "most hated smug white lady"

• Locked thread