Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

What? The suggestion was that cars grenading all the time is somehow entertaining.

It is. It allows cars that perhaps not make it to the points on pure pace alone were able to because they outlasted their competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It is. It allows cars that perhaps not make it to the points on pure pace alone were able to because they outlasted their competition.

It's not. It's a concession that you can't make F1 entertaining so let's just blow things up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

you can't make F1 entertaining

I agree.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you want F1 to be more competitive, shouldn't you try to make F1 more competitive? And not just blow up the fast cars so the slow cars have a chance? That's silly.

And like clockwork, here we go again with

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like it when engines grenade because I'm an uncouth American who likes explosions.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Minto Took posted:

I like it when engines grenade because I'm an uncouth American who likes explosions.

We should let Michael Bay direct an F1 race

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Other posters, take note: this is what a good suggestion looks like.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Lewis is no Will Smith.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Because it's just random. It's entertaining when drivers fail on their own, not when they are the victims of poo poo entirely out of their control. Button's win in Canada, for example, wouldn't have been anywhere near as sweet if Vettel hadn't hosed up under pressure. What if Vettel's engine just lets go there? Takes all the shine off that performance.

This is motorsport. Cars blowing up isn't random, it's down to how much risk the builder and drivers make. It's removing a variable from the sport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Too bad F1 cars can't blow up like this:

For the record, it's a tire failure in the most spectacular fashion

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 20, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

This is motorsport. Cars blowing up isn't random, it's down to how much risk the builder and drivers make. It's removing a variable from the sport.

It's random and it's bad and I legit STILL can't understand why every god drat month we have a new conversation about how something terrible from 80s F1 is actually good and needs to be brought back. Can we just start a separate thread for F1 nostalgia?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My 1984 Volkswagen Scirocco does not blow up anywhere near the same frequency as a F1 car does. I think the professor may have a point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, if we don't want cars blowing up, that means Ferrari has to withdraw effective immediately.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not to mention the fact that increased unreliability benefits literally zero people within F1, so it's not something anyone sane would ever pursue or attempt to implement.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

It's random and it's bad and I legit STILL can't understand why every god drat month we have a new conversation about how something terrible from 80s F1 is actually good and needs to be brought back. Can we just start a separate thread for F1 nostalgia?

It is not random, as evidenced by the fact that some cars from some makers blew up a lot and some blew up less often.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Not to mention the fact that increased unreliability benefits literally zero people within F1, so it's not something anyone sane would ever pursue or attempt to implement.

It benefits you, the loyal viewer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of nostalgia, does the current Concorde agreement still cap the field at 24 cars or was that quietly dropped?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

It benefits you, the loyal viewer.

No it doesn't. It makes the sport worse, in virtually every way.

If you want smaller teams to be able to beat bigger teams then we should increase funding to them, not try to shoehorn in bad ideas that we justifiably fixed years ago.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Speaking of nostalgia, does the current Concorde agreement still cap the field at 24 cars or was that quietly dropped?

I don't think they'd be opposed to more teams but the health of the teams is a lot better than it was a few years ago so I think theres a bit less urgency behind it.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

learnincurve posted:

Cheshire. It's where we keep all our sporty people. Oxfordshire is also an acceptable option for those who want to keep a flat in London.

I live in Cheshire and agree. There are plenty of tasteless multi million pound mansions for him and a vibrant gay community down the road in Manchester

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-accepts-offer-to-stay-at-williams-in-2017-860616/

Bottas to MB then it would seem

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Johnnie Walker joining Force India next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127543/force-india-secures-johnnie-walker-deal

And for some reason still sticking with McLaren. Doesn't Diageo basically owns Force India, though, so I doubt there's any money being paid.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Just as Their Rossie was kicking off Silly Season with a bang, the most boring thing happens.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

Williams today announces that Pat Symonds will be stepping down from the role of Chief Technical Officer of WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING at the end of 2016.

Pat joined Williams towards the end of the 2013 Formula One season on a three-year contract, and in that time has helped oversee a strong turn around in the team’s performances on the race track, with 14 podiums secured over the past three seasons. Pat will be departing on 31st December 2016.

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, said; “Pat has been a tremendous asset to this team over the past three years. Pat’s appointment was the start of a major restructuring exercise, and he has been pivotal in reshaping Williams into what is a much stronger racing team today. I would like to thank him for all of his hard work and commitment during that time. We now look to the future and will be announcing details regarding the team’s technical leadership in due course.”

Busy day at Williams

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Bottas to Mercedes, Massa to postpone retirement:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38384982

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bottas MWDC 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Im of two minds about this. Bottas to Mercedes is literally the most boring thing in the world but I'm glad Massa gets another year at Williams in place of the charisma vacuum that is Bottas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Im of two minds about this. Bottas to Mercedes is literally the most boring thing in the world but I'm glad Massa gets another year at Williams in place of the charisma vacuum that is Bottas.

I feel exactly the opposite. Bottas to Mercedes is fine but replacing him with Massa basically ruins silly season.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

PT6A posted:

Bottas to Mercedes, Massa to postpone retirement:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38384982

loving hell. Could anything more boring happen?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

loving hell. Could anything more boring happen?

Williams couldve brought in Diresta.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Massa already had a teary farewell, the higher powers will not be pleased, he will have a serious accident next year

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Bottas going to Merc is bad and boring but expected

Massa shouldn't come out of retirement, he already had his teary farewell.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Would love to know how much Mercedes is paying Williams for this.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Would love to know how much Mercedes is paying Williams for this.

quote:

An initial offer of a reduction of 10m euros (£8.4m) in their Mercedes engine bill was rejected but Williams will release Bottas for a better offer, which is expected to be close to their full engine bill of 17m euros (£14.3m).

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

It was hard to make Williams' line-up worse but they pulled it off

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
The Italian version of Motorsport.com has an article stating that Are Ron and some Chinese lenders are making a bid to buy Manor

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

GramCracker posted:

The Italian version of Motorsport.com has an article stating that Are Ron and some Chinese lenders are making a bid to buy Manor

That'd own.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
*Kisses fingers*

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I hope it's called just RonGP