Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think they do push the "what if the Nazis won???" angle a little too, though. They start to add some depth to the American Nazi characters after awhile, though. I think the worst thing I can say about it is that I' more interested in the everyone else on the show that I am in Joe, Julianne and Frank. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa has major charisma and once they give Rufus Sewell something to do besides bark orders to torture people, he steals every scene that he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I'm really looking forward to the new Shantae game coming out today, mainly because I'm stuck in my early-release backer version and I need people to make guides so I can finish it

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Where are you stuck?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Where are you stuck?

I'm trying to get through The cave at the top of Techno Baron's factory. There's a corridor with the floor lined with spikes that's too narrow to fly through with a harpy, but the corridor is too high to fly straight through with the bat. I think I need an additional power that lets me climb on ceilings or something, but I have no idea where I'd get that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's an optional area, you aren't supposed to go there yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FutonForensic posted:

I'm trying to get through The cave at the top of Techno Baron's factory. There's a corridor with the floor lined with spikes that's too narrow to fly through with a harpy, but the corridor is too high to fly straight through with the bat. I think I need an additional power that lets me climb on ceilings or something, but I have no idea where I'd get that.

Yep you need the Spider form which you can get at Tassel Town. Don't remember where exactly but you can actually get it a fair bit earlier than where you are now so you probably just missed something obvious.

E: Ah yeah, it's in the windy passage in the first area, through the warp gate. You needed the elephant to get through it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 20, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Beat Shantae yesterday with 100%. Cool game and I'm glad style wise they mostly went with cute over sexy. It's a bit short and I thought the final boss was kind of lovely but other than that it's a pretty strong entry to the series that isn't better than Pirate's Curse, but still quite good.

Speaking of Pirate's Curse, one little detail I really liked was that the majority of Risky's moves were moves you got in Pirate's Curse

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

It's going to depend on which direction they take it, but the end of season 1 sort of indicated that the show might even focus on it more than the book did, actually.

If you do decide to check it out, you have to sort of swallow that the first half of season 1 is not very good. There's a lot of weird running around in the neutral zone with a weird bounty hunter who, for some reason, they thought should be played by Burn Gorman, who seems to have to spend the entire time chewing on his tongue to pretend to be American. They also start hitting Frank Frink with tragedy before we're really ready to identify with him all the way. Things pick up in the second half and it finally started to get my interest, though, and the finale made me hope for better things.

The bad reviews for season 2 have mostly been "Why watch this as an alternate reality when you can just walk outside now?" which I think is sort of a weird criticism.

Yeah, season 1 is a soft recommend but season 2 fixed most of the problems.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't watched S2 yet but my favorite character in S1 was the weeaboo antiques seller who kept falling over himself to show off his appreciation of superior Japanese culture.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yep you need the Spider form which you can get at Tassel Town. Don't remember where exactly but you can actually get it a fair bit earlier than where you are now so you probably just missed something obvious.

E: Ah yeah, it's in the windy passage in the first area, through the warp gate. You needed the elephant to get through it.

Thanks, can't wait to get home and hear more good music

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

As a big fan of the book The Man in the High Castle, I don't really have any interest in the series, since it looks to be focusing on the "alt-history" aspect too much.

That's the fun stuff tho, innit?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turtledove is like the least offensive alt-history writer, his books may be trash but they're mostly 'what if WW2 but aliens!!' instead of 'here's how I think it'd be much better if the south won the civil war'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.

Speaking of favorite movies :3:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been playing Crystalis and it's pretty good, but it needs to knock off the "do obscure thing to progress" bullshit.

And I've been replaying Terranigma in the meantime when I get tired of Crystalis. Last time I played it was before the NTSC patch was released and wow It feels so different to play at full speed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I forgot that Terranigma is one of those bizarre games that only got an EU release outside Japan. I never even thought about it running at typical PAL speeds.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It makes the Leo segment about 80% more tolerable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad Europe doesn't get quite so hosed over anymore

Except by Nintendo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad Europe doesn't get quite so hosed over anymore

Except by Nintendo

Hey you guys got woolly world and bravely default months before Americans

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I finally gave Let It Die a try yesterday and I love it. The presentation is stylish, the voice acting is great, and the combat is not that bad for a grasshopper game. I had very low expectations going in and found it to be a pleasant surprise.

I just hope it's successful enough for them to expand on it bit by bit like Warframe.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I finally gave Let It Die a try yesterday and I love it. The presentation is stylish, the voice acting is great, and the combat is not that bad for a grasshopper game. I had very low expectations going in and found it to be a pleasant surprise.

I just hope it's successful enough for them to expand on it bit by bit like Warframe.

I haven't played Warframe in years and the thread title was certainly accurate back then. Have they kept it manageable or is it now in mmo feature and currency bloat land?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chumbler posted:

I haven't played Warframe in years and the thread title was certainly accurate back then. Have they kept it manageable or is it now in mmo feature and currency bloat land?

I has insanely bad feature bloat and everything is imbalanced but it manages to still be a fun game and definitely overall better than a few years ago.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

chumbler posted:

I have no clue I haven't touched it in years either, I just remember what it was like in early beta and then what it was like a couple years later.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes that is my favorite movie of all time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't get what that is a reference to :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It makes the Leo segment about 80% more tolerable.

It wasn't nearly as irritating as I remembered, yeah.

Are there any good ROM hacks for Link to the Past at all?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't get what that is a reference to :(

Owen Wilson's character in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't watched S2 yet but my favorite character in S1 was the weeaboo antiques seller who kept falling over himself to show off his appreciation of superior Japanese culture.

That dude is one of the protagonists in the book and probably gets about as much time as Joe, Frank and Julianne, if not more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I saw Rogue 1 today and I got to say that The Force Awakens has nothing on this, this is how you make a new Star Wars. I'd have never bet that Rogue 1 will be the better one but here we are. It brought back some grittiness to Star Wars that I didn't know I missed from the original trilogy. Things like when Obi Wan cut off that guy's hand at the bar - this episode is more along those lines.

The movie still has its problems as I guess the biggest budget can't prevent a movie from having some bad actor performances and dialogues and some stuff should have been better directed (and could with some editing) but still there are so many good things here. The cinematography is great, maybe the best in the entire series, the two protegonists have really good chemistry going on and the movie dares do things that I thought new Star Wars wouldn't go for. People saying that this the third best one after 4 and 5 are spot on.

Also the ending is badass and Vader is brutal holy hell.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I was curious about something, so I've made this bucket of statistics just waiting to happen.
These are the avatars of the 20 most prolific posters (by post count) of each major publisher's thread, in no particular order. I skipped those with no avatar.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*slowly breathes sigh of relief*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gimbal lock posted:

I was curious about something, so I've made this bucket of statistics just waiting to happen.
These are the avatars of the 20 most prolific posters (by post count) of each major publisher's thread, in no particular order. I skipped those with no avatar.

I think you cut out the moral alignment names by accident, might be just a turned off layer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I was about to be nervous that I'd be in the graphic for the Fallout 4 thread, but there was a long period of time between its release and when I got access to it that I didn't post, so I'd probably be safe.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hooray, I did a thing

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Gimbal lock posted:

Does stux really have nothing better to do than poo poo up the thread of a console he doesn't like? That's some dedication.

e: I didn't see him twice. It's doubly sad.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Landerig is missing drat you!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Does stux really have nothing better to do than poo poo up the thread of a console he doesn't like? That's some dedication

That's what like half the top posters in the xbox thread are there for according to that picture.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've never checked it out unless I'm following rap sheets, but I believe you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I stopped posting for a long time and Stux is one of the only ones left of the original three who took up most of this thread. Dunno what happened to Taint and Bowen but things seem a little less tense in this relaxed chat thread these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

I saw Rogue 1 today and I got to say that The Force Awakens has nothing on this, this is how you make a new Star Wars. I'd have never bet that Rogue 1 will be the better one but here we are. It brought back some grittiness to Star Wars that I didn't know I missed from the original trilogy. Things like when Obi Wan cut off that guy's hand at the bar - this episode is more along those lines.

The movie still has its problems as I guess the biggest budget can't prevent a movie from having some bad actor performances and dialogues and some stuff should have been better directed (and could with some editing) but still there are so many good things here. The cinematography is great, maybe the best in the entire series, the two protegonists have really good chemistry going on and the movie dares do things that I thought new Star Wars wouldn't go for. People saying that this the third best one after 4 and 5 are spot on.

Also the ending is badass and Vader is brutal holy hell.

I saw it last night, and hoooo boy it's super loving good.

I loved that Vader scene, it really shows what an unholy bloody terror he was.

• Locked thread