Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

canyoneer posted:

As a Honda Fit driver, 3 car seats do not fit into the back seat. Well, no 3 car seats I've ever seen.

Yeah 3 car seats would be unworkable, but I did cram a twin mattress and box spring into my Fit.

Do the trunk covers come standard with newer models? They are essential if you want to not have stuff in plain sight when parked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

paternity suitor posted:

If you buy a $35k car on a 6 year loan at 5%, you're going to pay about $40k for that thing. A six year old car loses about 60% of it's value, so charitably, it will be worth $15k. So you paid $40k for a $15k asset, for a total loss of $25k. If you stuck that car payment in an ETF and got 8%, you'd have about $50k instead. That's a $75k swing. I'm preaching to the choir but it always blows my mind to work out car napkin math.

EDIT: Assuming you bought that car right around the time you started working, and you did nothing else, that $75k sitting until "retirement" 24 additional years is worth almost $0.5M. A half million dollar F-150

No one has paid 5% on a car loan since 2006. You can get 1.85% easily now, which is basically free money.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

canyoneer posted:

Hey hey, someone on facebook shared a Dave Ramsey animated video saying I should put the difference in a mutual fund with an average 12% return! :downs:

I mean, yeah I would put hella money in a 12% average return fund, but they don't exist

Sometimes you get lucky.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

"Buy less Harley's"

"No."

Fewer. :argh:

Rurutia posted:

Hahaha someone looked at his userpage and found him selling some seriously sketchy digital game codes:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Squilly827/submitted/

I like how he absolutely will not say how he's getting all those game codes for cheap. Granted the legaladvice lawyers would say that he should not but still you know this guy is sketchy as hell. The judge will laugh him out of court.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Sometimes you get lucky.

"Since 1/1/2016"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yes returns are nice on VGHCX when you aren't paying taxes on the returns.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Evil Robot posted:

"Since 1/1/2016"

That counter resets every year. Since our 401k started in 2012, I've seen 12.5% total growth per the administrator.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm not convinced yet, can you post your social security number?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm not convinced yet, can you post your social security number?

I renounced my citizenship for tax purposes, so I don't have a valid one anymore.

The original one was: <HI THERE!>

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 20, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I renounced my citizenship for tax purposes, so I don't have a valid one anymore.

The original one was: <HI THERE!>

When people post plausible SSNs on this website, even fake ones, I get Very Nervous

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good point

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
BWM: everyone who thought they'd get PSLF (edit: that doesn'tw ork for govt or 501c3 but i still think that's gonna change)
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/aba_sues_over_feds_disqualifications_of_lawyers_from_public_service_loan_fo

Part of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, the PSLF program automatically includes charitable nonprofit employers that have been designated as tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Other nonprofits with different tax statuses can also meet eligibility criteria if they “provide certain types of qualifying services,” according to the Department of Education’s federal student aid website, including “public education.”

Organizations recently denied employer certification for the PSLF program include the American Bar Association, which has 501(c)(6) status, the American Immigration Lawyers Association and some American Civil Liberties Union offices. In earlier years, the government told some of those lawyers that they did qualify for the program.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 20, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

BWM: everyone who thought they'd get PSLF

Jesus you almost gave me a heart attack before I read the whole post

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tyro posted:

Jesus you almost gave me a heart attack before I read the whole post

Good news! The current administration is the one cracking down on PSLF, I'm sure the one being sworn in shortly will be much more favorable

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
BWM: Booking an elaborate pile of multi-city flights, buses and trains in order to visit all the relatives that mandate you visit them at Christmas from all the way across the country, sorting it all out a month ago, and then realizing that you never booked the final return leg to return to the west coast. :suicide:

God, my wallet! My loving wallet is BLEEDING... :kheldragar:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I work at a 501(c)(3) and am basically banking on PSLF to unsuck my financial life in about 4 years so thanks for the momentary panic attack I guess.

Edit: :hf: Tyro :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

C.H.O.M.E posted:

No one has paid 5% on a car loan since 2006. You can get 1.85% easily now, which is basically free money.

Look at this good credit havin' bougie who's not signing up for 72 month loans at 12% APR

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Good news! The current administration is the one cracking down on PSLF, I'm sure the one being sworn in shortly will be much more favorable

:smithicide:

At least I'm a government employee. So I just have to worry about my benefits and retirement being eroded and my overtime taken away, and maybe my position being eliminated.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

ate all the Oreos posted:

Look at this good credit havin' bougie who's not signing up for 72 month loans at 12% APR

I'm confused. I have decent credit, 720's, and I got a 10K loan for 60 months at 7.5% through USAA. Everything I've done with USAA in the past has been pretty beneficial towards me so I didn't question it. Am I BMW for not shopping around?

I'm on track to have it 40% paid off after 1 year, so it's not too bad, but now I'm bumming :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

I'm confused. I have decent credit, 720's, and I got a 10K loan for 60 months at 7.5% through USAA. Everything I've done with USAA in the past has been pretty beneficial towards me so I didn't question it. Am I BMW for not shopping around?

I'm on track to have it 40% paid off after 1 year, so it's not too bad, but now I'm bumming :(

You get really cheap rates through the dealership. Usually as an either/or to other promotions. Take 1% financing and forfeit XYZ dealer rebates. There is no free money.

Cue a bunch of people posting about their 0% loans that came with a handjob.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

omnibobb posted:

you should refinance that

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

7.5% is really high for an auto loan if you have even decent credit. The really really low sub-1% loans are manufacturer-subsidized rates on new cars, but a regular non-subsidized car loan should only run like 2-3% right now.

My credit union is right now offering 2.09% on model year 2014 and newer cars, and 2.69% on model year 2013 and older.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If you buy a new car, dealerships typically offer very low rate financing (0-2%). Sometimes those rates are an either/or choice with a fixed discount (e.g. $2000 off or 0% financing).

If you get a loan individually and not through a dealership, rates will be a little higher. But 7.5% seems really high - PenFed, the only credit union I'm a member of, shows a 72 month used car loan rate currently at 3.61%. I would expect that rate to be a fair representation of a "good market rate".

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Sundae posted:

BWM: Booking an elaborate pile of multi-city flights, buses and trains in order to visit all the relatives that mandate you visit them at Christmas from all the way across the country, sorting it all out a month ago, and then realizing that you never booked the final return leg to return to the west coast. :suicide:

GWM: getting into a standoff with family about who visits who for the holidays with all parties refusing to participate in the holiday travel circus ending with no one seeing anyone.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I opened a new Vanguard account in November 2014 to invest in oil after it crashed. Then it spent another two years continuing to go down! There are a couple other poorly chosen funds in there too for a total rate of return of 0.0%.

Trying to time the market is BWM. What are these funds making 12%?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My vanguard overall rate of return is under 3%, so you're in good company

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Boring S&P 500 ETF (VOO):

Boring Total US Stock Market ETF (VTI):

Sometimes it pays to be lazy. :homebrew:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 21, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Oh yeah lol I bought that one. Convenient you cropped out the 1 year return of -8.11%

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Switchback posted:

I opened a new Vanguard account in November 2014 to invest in oil after it crashed. Then it spent another two years continuing to go down! There are a couple other poorly chosen funds in there too for a total rate of return of 0.0%.

Just buy VTSAX and own the US market then go back to sleep

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Switchback posted:

Oh yeah lol I bought that one. Convenient you cropped out the 1 year return of -8.11%

That's the Vanguard Health Care Sector Fund. The 1-year return is about 6%. You might be invested in a different fund.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That counter resets every year. Since our 401k started in 2012, I've seen 12.5% total growth per the administrator.

Nice, good job getting 12.5% returns in one of the biggest bull markets ever

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

Almost anything except for like bonds and energy the last 4 years

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sundae posted:

Oh no! But also: lol.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm sure building dollhouse furniture for sale a la Lester Freamon sits right on the face of everyones' weird, GWM fantasies in this thread, but many people have dumb, expensive hobbies that they feel just fine about pursuing because they are financially responsible everywhere else in their lives and so it makes sense to do stupid, expensive stuff to keep themselves sane.

Not every hobby is or has to be a "side gig."

Sshhhhhhiiiitttttt. But for real dollhouse furniture is stupid expensive.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sundae posted:

Oh man, goondolences. I thought crossing the mountain pass during college for thanksgiving and Christmas was rough, but multi city flights? Ouch.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man, goondolences. I thought crossing the mountain pass during college for thanksgiving and Christmas was rough, but multi city flights? Ouch.

SFO --> JFK, Taxi to Long Island, LIRR to NYP, NYP Amtrak to Boston, Bus from Boston to Nashua NH, taxi from Nashua to Manchester Airport, and then Manchester back out to SFO. Changing in everywhere under the sun. Somewhere in between, I'm supposed to visit a bunch of family, but I'm more or less just dreading the transit now. :v:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nice, good job getting 12.5% returns in one of the biggest bull markets ever

And just think, 12.5% is less than a typical loss year for the S&P500.

A lot of people are going to be real sad when they experience their first bust.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

And just think, 12.5% is less than a typical loss year for the S&P500.

A lot of people are going to be real sad when they experience their first bust.

There were people getting upset over the minor dip earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's the Vanguard Health Care Sector Fund. The 1-year return is about 6%. You might be invested in a different fund.

Huh, ok I guess I need to take my rear end to the investing thread because apparently I don't really get what these numbers mean. (But you're right I was totally looking at the wrong line)

• Locked thread