Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Not unlike

Borg assimilation

Or root beer.

It's insidious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think you guys are underestimating how much work replacing all of the systems of an entire space station is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horrible bio-mechanical beige and polyester growths begin spreading throughout the station. When cut they ooze rootbeer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never dug the Federation = Root Beer thing. It's just so coy, like how Sims games refer to alcohol as 'juice' or whatever. If you're going to try and be a more mature Trek, just say that humans drink alcohol. Who the gently caress drinks root beer that much, anyway?

WampaLord posted:

I think you guys are underestimating how much work replacing all of the systems of an entire space station is.

I don't care, the whole visual look of DS9 as a station is ugly. I get the point of it, since it wasn't a Federation space station, but you're not going to keep an ugly paint scheme around just because the former owners liked it. Hell, tell the Bajorans that you're doing it so you don't have to see Cardassian typeface on every panel every day.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 20, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

I never dug the Federation = Root Beer thing. It's just so coy, like how Sims games refer to alcohol as 'juice' or whatever. If you're going to try and be a more mature Trek, just say that humans drink alcohol. Who the gently caress drinks root beer that much, anyway?

But the point is that root beer is cloyingly sweet. The analogy kinda falls apart if you just talk about booze

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who thought the root beer thing was a euphemism for alcohol? What

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You guys, it's MisterBibs.

Don't try to analyze a broken thought process.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But the point is that root beer is cloyingly sweet. The analogy kinda falls apart if you just talk about booze

My point is that it only works as an analogy. The minute you claim that root beer is actually the drink of choice for Starfleet or its cadets, I'm rolling my eyes.

I'll buy into the notion of warp drives and alien wormholes long before I buy into the notion of root beer as a drink of choice popular enough to be a human stereotype.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The minute you claim that root beer is actually the drink of choice for Starfleet or its cadets, I'm rolling my eyes.

No one claims this. Nog is weirdly into root beer, no one else calls it their drink of choice. I guess Jake likes it too, but all of the adults drink other stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

No one claims this.

According to Memory Alpha, there's plenty of times people bring up root beer as a Federation drink, either earnestly (Quark wishes the humans were back so that he could sell the stuff, for example) or mockingly (as a Klingon does to someone he feels isn't Klingon enough).

You said it yourself, other folks drink other things. More realistic things than root beer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Root beer is the most viable candidate that isn't a brand name. Well, besides orange juice, I guess.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've heard it's great for getting the rust off of self-sealing stembolts.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's because they didn't want to use coke or pepsi. I guess in the future they have evolved beyond the need for cola drinks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, I can see why they used root beer as it's always had a more nostalgic place in our culture. It was a drink that saw a huge boost during prohibition (which makes Quark's serving it a nice homage.)

There's always Coke vs Pepsi for cola, but root beer aficionados have been a thing for a long time.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

According to Memory Alpha, there's plenty of times people bring up root beer as a Federation drink, either earnestly (Quark wishes the humans were back so that he could sell the stuff, for example) or mockingly (as a Klingon does to someone he feels isn't Klingon enough).

You said it yourself, other folks drink other things. More realistic things than root beer.

There's no indication it's more popular than beer or whatever you think is more realistic. The show only suggests it's much more popular with Humans than with other species. That's all you need for it to be a stereotype. I don't see what's unreasonable about that, given Federation culture is largely idealized American.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WampaLord posted:

You guys, it's MisterBibs.

Don't try to analyze a broken thought process.

Wait, is Jack a goon? I need some context here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

MisterBibs likes to go into their Twitch chat and complain about their opinions on the Star Wars prequels, which led to that gif.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 20, 2016

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MisterBibs posted:

I went out of my way to drink a loving root beer last night.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, MisterBibs is complaining about root beer references on Trek but doesn't agree with RLM on the prequels? :psyduck:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I randomly commented how RLM's Plinkett reviews were the thing of theirs I liked least because it was multiple hours of words where "It's Not My Star Wars" would've sufficed. Jack tried to explain how their multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was something other than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", which is rather impossible as it is multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I explained how RLM's Plinkett reviews were multiple hours of words where "It's Not My Star Wars" would've sufficed. Jack tried to explain how their multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was something other than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

Yes, this is why you are horribly incorrect, the prequel reviews are not just "It's Not My Star Wars" like everyone tried to tell you, but your brain is broken in a way where once you've determined you are correct you can't be persuaded.

Except you can be shamed into thinking TV Tropes is bad based on goon opinion. You are a strange case, MisterBibs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, TV Tropes is basically pouring creepy poo poo out of every orifice. It's pretty easy to understand how someone can like the prequels, but after a few billion examples of the absolute bottom of TV Tropes it's pretty objectively bad, not even getting into the more subjective problems with the kind of writing and media analysis it encourages.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Yes, this is why you are horribly incorrect, the prequel reviews are not just "It's Not My Star Wars" like everyone tried to tell you, but your brain is broken in a way where once you've determined you are correct you can't be persuaded.

Yes, everyone tried to tell me that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was not actually multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars". Given that it's multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", the outcome was hardly in doubt.

I can be persuaded (say, from a mock thread there teaching me that a website's community is gross), but surely you don't expect me to believe that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" is more than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

E: vvv because I can be persuaded, when those who disagree come correct about it. If they don't, I'm not persuaded.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, TV Tropes is basically pouring creepy poo poo out of every orifice. It's pretty easy to understand how someone can like the prequels, but after a few billion examples of the absolute bottom of TV Tropes it's pretty objectively bad, not even getting into the more subjective problems with the kind of writing and media analysis it encourages.

No, I get that, it's just that was the one time he took goon consensus that he was wrong and agreed with it. But he'll dig in and fight anyone who argues about anything with him to the death. Why that one?

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, everyone tried to tell me that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was not actually multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars". Given that it's multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", the outcome was hardly in doubt.

You really don't understand that your perception of reality is off when you're the one odd man out arguing what a thing is? Like, not even arguing about the quality of the thing, but objectively describing what that thing is.

Because the prequel reviews are literally not what you keep saying they are.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

No, I get that, it's just that was the one time he took goon consensus that he was wrong and agreed with it. But he'll dig in and fight anyone who argues about anything with him to the death. Why that one?

You don't get it, why TV Tropes being bad is extremely easy to prove and get even someone as stubborn as humanly possible to agree with that assessment was my point. It is different than most arguments about fictional media because it's not down to what's ultimately a subjective experience and interpretation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I can be persuaded (say, from a mock thread there teaching me that a website's community is gross), but surely you don't expect me to believe that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" is more than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

I don't think you understand how an actual argument works.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Because the prequel reviews are literally not what you keep saying they are.

Nope, that's what they are. You may think differently (I mean, we both know I'm right, you just don't want to admit it), but I know accurately.

But since RLM isn't known for making hour-long videos about JJTrek not being Star Trek, feel free to PM me about this rather than continue a needless detail in a Trek thread.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 20, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The prequels aren't "not my Star Wars", they are "not anyone's Star Wars" because they utterly fail as movies like the TNG films or Into Darkness.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Don't engage with MisterBibs, he's the dumbest man on the internet. He's choked on hotdogs multiple times as a grown adult.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

Don't engage with MisterBibs, he's the dumbest man on the internet. He's choked on hotdogs multiple times as a grown adult.

You seem to have me confused with someone else. I never choked on a hotdog, I've had food impaction problems thanks to having an incurable immune disorder. I wish I didn't have it, but if you have EE, you're going to have food impaction problems (and likely cancer down the line, but whatever).

E: vvv well I'll be damned, I forgot about that one. Not as embarrassing as their SW one, sure, but the same not-my-X one.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 20, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also lol there is literally an hour-long Plinkett review about how Star Trek (2009) is not a Star Trek movie but is a well-made action movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The RLM people are so full of themselves but this bibs guy is also annoying. I don't know what to do now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

feel free to PM me about this rather than continue a needless detail in a Trek thread.

A PM argument with you is certainly one of the levels of hell. I'll pass, but I will drop the derail

MisterBibs posted:

RLM isn't known for making hour-long videos about JJTrek not being Star Trek

Firebert posted:

Also lol there is literally an hour-long Plinkett review about how Star Trek (2009) is not a Star Trek movie but is a well-made action movie.

loving :laffo:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
But here's the thing, in the future, I'm sure the replicator is able to make real loving root beer, which none of us has ever had:

Wikipedia posted:

Safrole, the aromatic oil found in sassafras roots and bark that gave traditional root beer its distinctive flavour, was banned for commercially mass-produced foods and drugs by the FDA in 1960. Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained large doses of safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. While sassafras is no longer used in commercially produced root beer and is sometimes substituted with artificial flavors, natural extracts with the safrole distilled and removed are available.

I'm sure they have the technology to make loving 1890s-style root beer without all that "cancer" stuff, and I bet it is goddamn delicious.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

having another root beer right now. It's great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

The RLM people are so full of themselves but this bibs guy is also annoying. I don't know what to do now.

I can't stand the Plinkett reviews, but I would absolutely recommend their Best of The Worst segments. They're far and away the best thing they do.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

Let's wait and see if CBS All Access is even around when Discovery airs.

FTFY

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

But here's the thing, in the future, I'm sure the replicator is able to make real loving root beer, which none of us has ever had:

I'm sure they have the technology to make loving 1890s-style root beer without all that "cancer" stuff, and I bet it is goddamn delicious.

This is loving news to me as I've been on a root beer kick lately.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't stand the Plinkett reviews, but I would absolutely recommend their Best of The Worst segments. They're far and away the best thing they do.

I've started getting into Half In The Bag and the retrospective stuff they've been doing. Just a couple of dudes talking about movies, some good, some bad, some so-bad-its-good, and some Star Wars Holiday Special bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Wait, I don't understand why tvtropes is supposed to be bad?