Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Isn't the list of cool trends Black people -> Gay people -> Women people -> White boys -> White men -> Rappin grannies?

You gotta work sassy talking pets on disney channel sitcoms in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You gotta work sassy talking pets on disney channel sitcoms in there somewhere

I was spending time with my niece and nephew one day and found out there was a show called Dog With A Blog and it changed my life.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I was spending time with my niece and nephew one day and found out there was a show called Dog With A Blog and it changed my life.

Don't hate, that dog did some legit grounds-eye citizen journalism during Occupy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Going back to fashion for a minute, you can see a really interesting real-time exchange and evolution of fashion by observing the trans and drag communities. A lot of trans women simply can't wear an average woman's outfit and look good because we're taller, we have wider shoulders, etc. Trans women often borrow and modify techniques from drag to help feminize their appearance from extreme makeup contouring to body padding and clothing selection and so on. Glam and low fashion queens will then take inspiration from these looks when designing new costumes and the cycle repeats. Eventually something leaks out of the loop and everyone decides some random celeb invented a look that had been evolving back and forth between queens and trans women for years.

One of the biggies that's especially relevant here is the makeup contouring techniques poc queens and trans women use to feminize their faces. Black trans women have taken contouring to an insane level because, surprise, facial feminization surgery is less accessible to poc. Queens see what's working for trans girls and then take that up to 11. It's pretty cool and (to answer a question someone asked me ages ago) it's part of why I love drag and think people who get uptight about drag being offensive to trans people (looking at you Jenny Boylan) don't fully appreciate the trans experience.

Edit:just want to say this was a phone post and autocorrect was fighting me the whole way so if there's anything that seems off phrasing wise in this post that's why. My phone really wants "trans" to be "trains" for example.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 21, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I feel like hostility between Trans/Drag is something you mostly find in upper class lgbt culture where they experience enough acceptance from the wider culture to not interact very much. I spent a pretty decent chunk of time immersed in "lower class" trans and drag culture in south Florida and could talk a bit about it from an outsiders perspective.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Schizotek posted:

I feel like hostility between Trans/Drag is something you mostly find in upper class lgbt culture where they experience enough acceptance from the wider culture to not interact very much. I spent a pretty decent chunk of time immersed in "lower class" trans and drag culture in south Florida and could talk a bit about it from an outsiders perspective.

LGBT youth as well, but that usually comes down to not knowing their history and I don't hold them responsible for that. I know that, as someone who's only exposure to queer culture growing up was through media designed for or co-opted by a mainstream het/cis audience, I'd have lapped up the idea that Rocky Horror and drag culture were toxic if tumblr offered it up to me because I didn't know how to see them through the context of my own culture and community.

That's why I thought it was pretty cool that Lavern Cox took the role of Frankenfurter. It reclaimed the role for queer people in the face of a lot selling out for straight-cis respectability.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Don't hate, that dog did some legit grounds-eye citizen journalism during Occupy

Holy crap I'm getting old.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

there wolf posted:

LGBT youth as well, but that usually comes down to not knowing their history and I don't hold them responsible for that. I know that, as someone who's only exposure to queer culture growing up was through media designed for or co-opted by a mainstream het/cis audience, I'd have lapped up the idea that Rocky Horror and drag culture were toxic if tumblr offered it up to me because I didn't know how to see them through the context of my own culture and community.

That's why I thought it was pretty cool that Lavern Cox took the role of Frankenfurter. It reclaimed the role for queer people in the face of a lot selling out for straight-cis respectability.

There's a long history of gay men trying to steal trans identity by claiming people as drag queens (right back to Stonewall even) so it's not surprising that some people become overly hostile toward it, but it's short-sighted to see the entire artform as trans-hostile because a few assholes can't stop trying to claim All The Queer Stuff.

Laverne Cox is doing amazing work just by existing in the public consciousness. She's made a whole bunch of people aware that transwomen and trans poc exist, and through Orange is the New Black she's got a bunch of people who otherwise probably wouldn't give a poo poo empathizing with that viewpoint. It's a very much oversanitized view of what the trans poc experience is, but it's a start!

Good drag parodies all the ridiculous constructions of what femininity (or masculinity, there's drag kings too!) is that we have in our culture and turns it into a performance that brings people together. I don't understand a person who lives through all the assumptions people make of them based on their appearance/gender identity and comes out with the lesson "drag is bad because people assume I'm a queen" rather than "assumptions are bad because non-queers treat queens and trans people badly and like they're the same thing." Buncha trans Carltons.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Good drag parodies all the ridiculous constructions of what femininity (or masculinity, there's drag kings too!)

I know! And I have a bullshit story about race-relations in the queer community about them if negrotown is still down with this detour into the 'artist' neighborhood that will be serve as the Normandy beach for future gentrification.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

I know! And I have a bullshit story about race-relations in the queer community about them if negrotown is still down with this detour into the 'artist' neighborhood that will be serve as the Normandy beach for future gentrification.

Do it, it's important to be reminded that there's so much more to the black experience than the straight cis black male experience. And I'd feel remiss if I didn't defend my boy Carlton, because he did get things eventually, he just needed to be yelled at a lot first. Much like some goons I know :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bluQNcAjOA

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Do it, it's important to be reminded that there's so much more to the black experience than the straight cis black male experience. And I'd feel remiss if I didn't defend my boy Carlton, because he did get things eventually, he just needed to be yelled at a lot first. Much like some goons I know :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bluQNcAjOA

I have every DVD set of Fresh Prince and now I feel a strong urge to watch it again after I finish Revolution (aka: Crackers in the Apocalypse part 12). The only POC is a duplicitous bad guy with anger problems who disowns his son for not wanting to be a wanton murderer. Because of course. Has there ever been a positive depiction of black people in a post-apocalypse scenario? Now I'm kinda genuinely curious because I'd watch/read the poo poo out of that.

And yes, please post about intersectional topics as long as it links into black experience somehow. If we can talk about comic books with black characters we can talk about intersections between the queer and black communities (it's most of what I post about :)).

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I have every DVD set of Fresh Prince and now I feel a strong urge to watch it again after I finish Revolution (aka: Crackers in the Apocalypse part 12). The only POC is a duplicitous bad guy with anger problems who disowns his son for not wanting to be a wanton murderer. Because of course. Has there ever been a positive depiction of black people in a post-apocalypse scenario? Now I'm kinda genuinely curious because I'd watch/read the poo poo out of that.

Book of Eli?

Edit: I am Legend (Will Smith movie edition) also

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 21, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Book of Eli?

This was my thought as well.

Edit: As a main character at least.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Possibly Michonne in The Walking Dead?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Who What Now posted:

Possibly Michonne in The Walking Dead?

I think most of the black regular characters (I'm not up to date with the current season so things may have changed) have been portrayed positively on TWD.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ben in Night of the Living Dead.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Red Mundus posted:

Ben in Night of the Living Dead.

in this vein, here is a great article about the casting of Duane Jones in NotLD, and how he changed the role to reflect who he was as an educated black man.

quote:

While still earthy and capable, Ben acquired an at once intense and understated quality that Jones brought to the role. According to the late Karl Hardman: “His [Ben’s] dialogue was that of a lower class/uneducated person. Duane Jones was a very well-educated man. He was fluent in a number of languages.” A B.A. graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, Jones had dabbled in writing, painting and music, studied in Norway and Paris, and was completing an M.A. in Communications at NYU between “Night” shoots. “Duane simply refused to do the role as it was written. As I recall, I believe that Duane himself upgraded his own dialogue to reflect how he felt the character should present himself.”

A look at the original script demonstrates the difference. When white Ben first arrives at the house, he says to Barbara: “Don’t you mind the creep outside. I can handle him. There’s probably gonna be lots more of ‘em. Soons they fin’ out about us. Ahm outa gas. Them pumps over there is locked. Is there food here? Ah get us some grub. Then we beat ‘em off and skedaddle. Ah guess you putzed with the phone.”

As translated by Duane Jones, the same speech goes: “Don’t worry about him. I can handle him. Probably be a whole lot more of them when they find out about us. The truck is out of gas. The pump out here is locked — is there a key? We can try to get out of here if we get some gas. Is there a key?” [Ben tries the phone.] “‘Spose you’ve tried this. I’ll see if I can find some food.”

Same basic information, but in the original script, white Ben is a stereotype. Via Jones’ interpretation, black Ben is not.

For a movie that has inspired literally hundreds of zombie movies in its wake, creating tropes and common themes that make it look very plain and simple now, Night was a pretty tremendous piece of outsider art. 1960s Pittsburgh isn't exactly Hollywood, and there's an alternate universe somewhere where Night is only a half-remembered cult movie instead of the classic that it is. (that universe probably lacks The Walking Dead, let alone every single other zombie work from the last 30 years or so)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is that a different thing from the thing where some guys wear multiple layers of shorts/pants?

Like, regular underwear/boxers at the waist, then a pair of shorts where the underwear shows, then another pair of shorts where the first pair of shorts shows, etc. until you have waistbands down to mid-thigh and the final pants layer all baggy from there?

Because that is fairly common still in the area of Atlanta around where I work, though I'm not sure what the varying number of shorts/pants signify (sometimes it's just underwear/boxers then pants, sometimes only the one intermediate pair of shorts, sometimes a whole lot of other shorts/pants).

EDIT: That's probably a lot of detail to notice while waiting at a red light during my commute, but some of those red lights make you wait for loving ever.

The layers indicate how many realms of power he has contested.

E: Despite being a bi dude I have no idea what Voguing is except that this guy is really good at it:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 21, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Ok then!

So I went to a woman's college and we had two queer groups on campus, the bigger and whiter LBT club, and the black lesbian caucus. There was some overlap between the clubs, and every year they'd do a joint fundraiser for an LGBTQIA related charity of choice. One year the Caucus brought up the idea of doing a drag king review; they had a group in mind, had picked some dates, and done pretty much all the setup already so the LBT was happy to just go along with it. The chosen group was largely POC, mostly studs, and the show was a big hit. (Memorable bits include a killer Usher impersonator, Pitbull making up facts about Miami when his music cut out, and an angsty nu-metal song redone as a love duet and dedicated to "all the white girls in the audience") So they got invited back the next year for another show and again it's a hit and money is made.

The third year the group asks if they could be paid for the gig since they do incur some cost putting it on, and for about a month that was seen as reasonable and student events was looking for room there was in the budget. Then the LBT starts complaining. Why are we paying for something that's for charity? What about other drag kind groups? This is a joint event; Caucus can't just take it over! The professional group gets axed and is replaced with an amateur group that happened to be made up of students and friends of students who'd been together for about three months.

By year four the drag show was mostly just cis-het women dressed as "drag queens" and doing skits from Drag Race. And just to balance the circle, the show finally ended a few years later when the LBT formally protested against it for being trans-misogynist. The Caucus stopped doing joint events with the LBT after getting pushed out, and in general just kind of hosed off to do their own thing. I should tap the alum tree and see if they're still around. They were fighting declining membership pretty hard, even as the college overall was getting more diverse.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

And yes, please post about intersectional topics as long as it links into black experience somehow. If we can talk about comic books with black characters we can talk about intersections between the queer and black communities (it's most of what I post about :)).

Agent 355 was pretty badass in Y: The Last Man.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Has there ever been a positive depiction of black people in a post-apocalypse scenario?

For post-apocalyptic TV:

Kurdy in Jeremiah.
Hawkins in Jericho.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

There's a long history of gay men trying to steal trans identity by claiming people as drag queens (right back to Stonewall even) so it's not surprising that some people become overly hostile toward it, but it's short-sighted to see the entire artform as trans-hostile because a few assholes can't stop trying to claim All The Queer Stuff.

Laverne Cox is doing amazing work just by existing in the public consciousness. She's made a whole bunch of people aware that transwomen and trans poc exist, and through Orange is the New Black she's got a bunch of people who otherwise probably wouldn't give a poo poo empathizing with that viewpoint. It's a very much oversanitized view of what the trans poc experience is, but it's a start!

Good drag parodies all the ridiculous constructions of what femininity (or masculinity, there's drag kings too!) is that we have in our culture and turns it into a performance that brings people together. I don't understand a person who lives through all the assumptions people make of them based on their appearance/gender identity and comes out with the lesson "drag is bad because people assume I'm a queen" rather than "assumptions are bad because non-queers treat queens and trans people badly and like they're the same thing." Buncha trans Carltons.

Your derails are the best derails.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Just tossing in a little reading material: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/the-venus-effect/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kubrick posted:

For post-apocalyptic TV:

Kurdy in Jeremiah.
Hawkins in Jericho.

Haven't seen Jeremiah, but Hawkins had plenty of that duplicity and anger problems stuff going on. He was still quite a stereotype.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does nerdy sci-fi that takes place in a universe after some distant-past Earth cataclysm count?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Does nerdy sci-fi that takes place in a universe after some distant-past Earth cataclysm count?

Are we about to mourn the death of Ron Glass?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Are we about to mourn the death of Ron Glass?

Maybe. :smith:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Does positive depiction exclude all villains, or just shoddily written ones? Aunt Entity is probably one of the best characters to come out of Mad Max, even if she was an antagonist.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

there wolf posted:

Does positive depiction exclude all villains, or just shoddily written ones? Aunt Entity is probably one of the best characters to come out of Mad Max, even if she was an antagonist.

Mostly I have a problem with black characters built out of lovely stereotypes, so the latter really.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mostly I have a problem with black characters built out of lovely stereotypes, so the latter really.

The role was supposedly written Tina Turner in mind before they'd even asked if she'd do it. I really like the idea of George Miller sitting down, pen in hand, to think "how would Tina Turner run a lawless distopia in the isolated wastes?"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

there wolf posted:

The role was supposedly written Tina Turner in mind before they'd even asked if she'd do it. I really like the idea of George Miller sitting down, pen in hand, to think "how would Tina Turner run a lawless distopia in the isolated wastes?"

Seems fine to me. The sort of villains I'm talking about tend to have a list of traits sort of like this:
  • Does not trust anyone and also double-crosses everyone
  • Resorts to physical violence extremely quickly
  • Values personal gain over all else, even their own family
  • Is really good at beating people up because, you know, all black people are really good fighters?
  • Nearly always an enforcer for some bigger badder white villain
  • Almost never female. Black female villains are their own whole other can of worms that could be dug into in the misogynoir thread if someone wanted to.

You just see this guy over and over in so many movies and shows and it gets annoying. Hell, in the case I'm talking about (Revolution) the same actor played a similar villain in Breaking Bad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giancarlo_Esposito) and while he had slightly more depth in that show, he still mostly checked all the boxes I list above.

There's lots of stereotyped roles for white people too, but what I think is worth noticing is that there's a greater diversity of what stereotypes white characters slot into, whereas there's only a couple archetypes that most black characters slot into. A lot of this is, probably, the total lack of exposure most Hollywood people have to any kind of black experience and TB is a brave soul for dedicating her career to fighting against this issue.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What do you think the split is on stereotypes that are actually about white people vs. archetypes so consistently cast as white that the race gets encoded into them? Like rednecks which are a stereotype of a certain kind of white culture, vs. the useless damsel in distress love interest?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

there wolf posted:

What do you think the split is on stereotypes that are actually about white people vs. archetypes so consistently cast as white that the race gets encoded into them? Like rednecks which are a stereotype of a certain kind of white culture, vs. the useless damsel in distress love interest?

Rather than make conjecture of my own, I'd like to hear what TB has to say on this one since she has direct experience, but my gut feel is it's some of both.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Chiwetel Ejiofor in both Serenity and Children of Men, both were unique and sympathetic.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Neurolimal posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor in both Serenity and Children of Men, both were unique and sympathetic.

He's also going to be Peter in a movie about Mary Magdalene coming out next year.

He was also one of the higher-ups in NASA in The Martian (although naturally Jeff Daniels was the actual head of NASA in that).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neurolimal posted:

His character in Serenity just didn't make any god damned sense, but that move was extremely bad. Him in Kinky Boots is one of my favorite roles ever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Seems fine to me. The sort of villains I'm talking about tend to have a list of traits sort of like this:
  • Does not trust anyone and also double-crosses everyone
  • Resorts to physical violence extremely quickly
  • Values personal gain over all else, even their own family
  • Is really good at beating people up because, you know, all black people are really good fighters?
  • Nearly always an enforcer for some bigger badder white villain
  • Almost never female. Black female villains are their own whole other can of worms that could be dug into in the misogynoir thread if someone wanted to.

You just see this guy over and over in so many movies and shows and it gets annoying. Hell, in the case I'm talking about (Revolution) the same actor played a similar villain in Breaking Bad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giancarlo_Esposito) and while he had slightly more depth in that show, he still mostly checked all the boxes I list above.

There's lots of stereotyped roles for white people too, but what I think is worth noticing is that there's a greater diversity of what stereotypes white characters slot into, whereas there's only a couple archetypes that most black characters slot into. A lot of this is, probably, the total lack of exposure most Hollywood people have to any kind of black experience and TB is a brave soul for dedicating her career to fighting against this issue.
I think perhaps part of the problem with black typecast villains is that the writers are playing into the anxieties of white audiences about black men. So the character becomes this exaggerated vision of what an 18-35 year old white guy would find in intimidating. While white villains can be cunning, well connected, skilled etc black villains often seem to be much more physical.

I would respectfully disagree about Esposito's role as Gustavo in Breaking Bad though. He was one of my favorite characters in the series and I felt like he was very different character than most black actors would get typecast into.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panfilo posted:

I think perhaps part of the problem with black typecast villains is that the writers are playing into the anxieties of white audiences about black men. So the character becomes this exaggerated vision of what an 18-35 year old white guy would find in intimidating. While white villains can be cunning, well connected, skilled etc black villains often seem to be much more physical.

I would respectfully disagree about Esposito's role as Gustavo in Breaking Bad though. He was one of my favorite characters in the series and I felt like he was very different character than most black actors would get typecast into.

Like I said, I think Gustavo had more depth than some of Esposito's other roles, but he was still definitely a guy who let the people he considered family be harmed by the cartel to make his way up, and he simultaneously trusted no one and screwed everyone. He resorted to violence easily, even if he was less personally physical about it. It definitely comes off less 2d/stereotypey in a show as good as Breaking Bad (last season aside), but the pattern is still definitely there.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Some of those seem like general villain stereotypes. I won't argue about black characters in general needing to be fleshed out. I've seen way too many movies and shows where they've had the black characters fade into the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

He's also going to be Peter in a movie about Mary Magdalene coming out next year.

He was also one of the higher-ups in NASA in The Martian (although naturally Jeff Daniels was the actual head of NASA in that).

Chiwetel may be singlehandedly creating a rule where having a soft spoken/well-intentioned black antagonist played by Chiwetel is racist.

The solution: a reverse buddy cop movie where The Rock is a cunning political mastermind and Chiwetel is his bruiser bodyguard.

• Locked thread