Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Some people really just can't turn their work off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

muike posted:

*in extremely ken burns documentary voice* those who do not learn from history, are doomed to get colonies dropped on them

*memo to self*
Remember to go and edit the Black History scenes from Turn A and add Ken Burn's narration and clips.

Kanos posted:

Bright marries Mirai, has kids, and then studiously spends the next decade and a half avoiding his family at every possible opportunity. For all that he is a father figure to a procession of newtype children, he is an awful father to his own family.

Bright being wear down by all these kids to become the newtype papa but then failing his own newtype son is one of the funniest things in Gundam when it doesn't make me feel sad.
God drat it Hathaway, I was really liking you until you hosed it all up :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

What are these images from? Is there a VN for Hathway's Flash or something, or is it like... a bonus feature in a console game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RubricMarine posted:

What are these images from? Is there a VN for Hathway's Flash or something, or is it like... a bonus feature in a console game?

They just released a Hathaway's Flash (the official translation for the name appears to be Brilliant Hathaway) expansion for G Generation Genesis which got a *really good* English translation.

Like seriously the only significant flaw I can name for the translation is that the editor for the name dialogue boxes and the editor for the script didn't match up so some names are not consistently translated. Otherwise, especially considering it's an Asian-English release, it is shockingly good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They just released a Hathaway's Flash (the official translation for the name appears to be Brilliant Hathaway) expansion for G Generation Genesis which got a *really good* English translation.

Like seriously the only significant flaw I can name for the translation is that the editor for the name dialogue boxes and the editor for the script didn't match up so some names are not consistently translated. Otherwise, especially considering it's an Asian-English release, it is shockingly good.

Gundam's been doing crazy good with English lately. Like, whenever Iron Blooded Orphans has English flash by on someone's PDA or something, you can pause and get more detailed information on the history of the world. I think theories that at least some things about IBO were designed from the start to appeal to a Western audience might not be too far from the truth.

Captain Rufus posted:

Welcome to war yo. And given in Gundam it's pretty much already an extinction level event just about it's surprising everyone isn't a coked out wastoid killing themselves with meth and Everclear.

Mirai does own though. A shame about her useless rear end kid. Who is apparently the only person Bright won't slap the poo poo out of.

As I said, that's why Mirai owned. In a situation where going absolutely batshit insane was the going concern, she kept her head on level.

And hey! As far as I'm aware, Cheimin wasn't awful. One for two! In baseball, that's exceptional!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 21, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Gundam's been doing crazy good with English lately. Like, whenever Iron Blooded Orphans has English flash by on someone's PDA or something, you can pause and get more detailed information on the history of the world. I think theories that at least some things about IBO were designed from the start to appeal to a Western audience might not be too far from the truth.

It's probably more that IBO Season 1 did poorly in Japan while doing amazingly well in western markets. English text in anime has gotten a lot better in general over recent years, not just in IBO. Hell, just Gundam-wise it's also been perfect in Build Fighters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They've also started to get into the practice of making Gunpla manuals and boxes bilingual. The translation can sometimes be a little awkward, but it still means that English-speakers have a ton more info about the big stompy robots they've chosen to purchase in miniature.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the weirdest thing about Hathaway's Flash (at least as translated) is that the Federation Office who is in charge of finding and capturing Mufti is like one of the single most competent and capable Federation officers ever to exist. He's polite, friendly, cares about his subordinates, is capable as a officer and while he believes in superstition he doesn't let it cripple him or reduces his capabilities. He even has a strong moral code and leaves the Federation after the bullshit with Bright being made to execute his own son.

It's *weird* to see in a Federation character who are normally either ineffectual but kind or ineffectual but evil.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ImpAtom posted:

So the weirdest thing about Hathaway's Flash (at least as translated) is that the Federation Office who is in charge of finding and capturing Mufti is like one of the single most competent and capable Federation officers ever to exist. He's polite, friendly, cares about his subordinates, is capable as a officer and while he believes in superstition he doesn't let it cripple him or reduces his capabilities. He even has a strong moral code and leaves the Federation after the bullshit with Bright being made to execute his own son.

It's *weird* to see in a Federation character who are normally either ineffectual but kind or ineffectual but evil.

Like Bright himself? At least by the end of ZZ.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So, what, is he secretly Revil's son or something?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I know some people who watch Endless Waltz as one of their Christmas movies.

I'm not sure if I will. Even as a Wing fan, I felt EW was....pointless? I dunno, I only watched it once. Maybe I'd enjoy it more upon a second viewing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EW has cool designs and animation and is stupid as poo poo. As a wing fan before it was released over here i coveted it, but the actual product is not super fulfilling.

If you do watch i recommend the ova version, the movie version has some very repetitive music cues and the insert songs are basically just poo poo out at where the episode splits would be anyway.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I plan on watching War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt for Christmas.

What was the Suicide Prevention Hotline number again?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Stick with the full beard, Bright. You made that work.
I started reading the Beltorchika's Children manga and man...

You weren't kidding. He totally makes it work!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Belzac posted:

I plan on watching War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt for Christmas.

What was the Suicide Prevention Hotline number again?

Hopefully not one right after the other. The whiplash might kill you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finished G Reco. I enjoy a lot of it but was still going to rank it pretty low until this happen:

Now its the best Gundam series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

DamnGlitch posted:

EW has cool designs and animation and is stupid as poo poo. As a wing fan before it was released over here i coveted it, but the actual product is not super fulfilling.

If you do watch i recommend the ova version, the movie version has some very repetitive music cues and the insert songs are basically just poo poo out at where the episode splits would be anyway.

I could never settle on a version to watch because there were specific scenes I liked in one much more than the other.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Snooze Cruise posted:

I finished G Reco. I enjoy a lot of it but was still going to rank it pretty low until this happen:

Now its the best Gundam series.

Oh no! Scale-bird strike!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The one thing I learned from gundam 0080 is that even a lowly GM can kill someone with a name in Gundam.

rip, Andy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thank God, I'd hate the series if I had to stare at that guy's ugly mug any longer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RGM-79D is the most perfect GM, after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
GM custom, you ungrateful pleb.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

GM custom, you ungrateful pleb.

GM Quel is the apotheosis of the line.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

GM Quel is the apotheosis of the line.

Hey now, don't be bagging on thunder calves.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

It's hard to choose.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Best GMs, huh?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ka0 posted:

It's hard to choose.

I like the GM designs a lot more than I like the Zeon designs aesthetically. It still leaves me shakin' my head that the Titans didn't use GMs in Z.

Then again the purpose of the GM is to blow up, just like the ol' reliable Leo.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Best GMs, huh?

You might wanna check your spelling there.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Well since you put it that way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Best GMs, huh?

That's no Jim, boy, no Jim!

It's a GN, or Jan.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Panzeh posted:

The one thing I learned from gundam 0080 is that even a lowly GM can kill someone with a name in Gundam.

rip, Andy.

The Hy-Gogg is one of the few amphibious mobile suits that doesn't look goofy as gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Fools and charlatans:

A wise man:

Also what the gently caress did they do to SD Gundam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Juaggu is my special elephant boy and I shan't have you badmouth him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I want a gundam series set on a flooded earth where all the suits are goofy and aquatic, even the gundam.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Not even G Gundam is safe

Begemot posted:

I want a gundam series set on a flooded earth where all the suits are goofy and aquatic, even the gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gunblaster is the ultimate Jim.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Begemot posted:

I didn't personally like the show but you might enjoy Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. That's sort of what that was. The Gundam equivalent wasn't aquatic though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also Mars Daybreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Best GMs, huh?

It's three times sassier than the rest!