Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone explain general auras to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any characters (lords or heroes) with the 'Encourage' ability will give a boost to leadership to all friendly units within their aura.

Additionally many characters get skills via leveling up that add other effects to their aura.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 21, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

genericnick posted:

Someone explain general auras to me.

Stand in the circle to win prizes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Any characters (lords or heroes) with the 'Encourage' ability will give a boost to leadership to all friendly units within their aura.

So default it really is just the ld buff?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

genericnick posted:

So default it really is just the ld buff?

Correct.

Also if a lord dies (general of the army only, not a hero like a Wight King or something) ALL of your units MAP WIDE will receive a leadership penalty for like 5 minutes of -15 leadership.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sassassin posted:

Stand in the circle to win prizes.

:golfclap:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like to see a toggle that let's flying units stay on ground-fighting level for when you want your dragon to not fly back up and land on one fleeing goblin or the like.

How possible is it to mod something like that in?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
You guys were right peacing out the elves freed up enough forces to kill the vampires then the norsca. Balthesar Gelt seemed really underwhelming compared to Karl Franz. His damage spells seemed useless and he was fragile. I paired him with a high level warrior priest and that guy ended up doing most of Gelt's work. Gelt was overall more interesting than Franz though. So now that's the human campaign and the dwarf campaign down. Which one of the orc campaigns is more interesting?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

You guys were right peacing out the elves freed up enough forces to kill the vampires then the norsca. Balthesar Gelt seemed really underwhelming compared to Karl Franz. His damage spells seemed useless and he was fragile. I paired him with a high level warrior priest and that guy ended up doing most of Gelt's work. Gelt was overall more interesting than Franz though. So now that's the human campaign and the dwarf campaign down. Which one of the orc campaigns is more interesting?

Do you own the King and the Warlord DLC?

In either case i would start with Grimgor if you've never touched greenskins before. Play Wurrzag or Skarsnik at a later date, just to see what a difference some time between launch content and more current content makes.

Only play Azhag with a mod on or something.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gejnor posted:

In either case i would start with Grimgor if you've never touched greenskins before. Play Wurrzag or Skarsnik at a later date, just to see what a difference some time between launch content and more current content makes.

^^ Get this guy's "Green iz best!" mod if you do try Greenskins.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Gejnor posted:

No I only have the base game. I'll wait till a big sale for DLC.

E: Grimgor it is then.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is just me or is there power creep happening with single player? Beastmen felt like a straight improvement over chaos, and the wood elf power ceiling is crazy high.

Some of the stock legendary lords seen to pale in comparison.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Is just me or is there power creep happening with single player? Beastmen felt like a straight improvement over chaos, and the wood elf power ceiling is crazy high.

Nah, its definitley not you, and its befitting as gently caress given the IP in question. They've expressed some half-hearted intentions to go over the original Legendary Lords in the future to bring them up to par, but I dont think thats gonna happen. Until then, mods are the key to glory.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

No I only have the base game. I'll wait till a big sale for DLC.

E: Grimgor it is then.

Wurrzag is Free LC which you can get immediately if you so wish but again go with the big angry green dude first :)

Dandywalken posted:

^^ Get this guy's "Green iz best!" mod if you do try Greenskins.

Awwh shucks.. but honestly he should try it unmodded first and see if its to his liking anyways.

Panfilo posted:

So while we we're talking here i started up a new Skarsnik campaign, i have my mod on for this and.. i mean.. i didn't change anything regarding skarsniks skilltree but CA obviously did. His redskills now boost EVERY SINGLE TYPE of goblin units.

Yes that includes Wolf and Spider riders. I have a level 3 Skarsnik (i use the 50% more skill points mod) and he has 3 points set in the redskills tree right now, meaning +12 Melee Attack to Goblin and Night Goblin units. My.. my starting Night Goblin Squig Hoppers have 34 melee attack now. They're supposed to have 22 by default.

Whats worse is that they've made either an error or a deliberate change to the secondary effect: its saying +15% Charge Bonus to Night Goblin units. It is giving +15 Charge Bonus instead, as in FLAT increase. So my Night Goblin Squig Hoppers are sitting on 45 charge when they have 30 by default as well. This bonus goes up to +40 Charge. It will make your Nightgoblin units insanely strong.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 21, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It's been that way, I think. Skulkers become absurd when fully buffed, as you could guess. The "Counters versus early dwarves" units become "Counters to everything" more or less.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
No, the gobbo cav units didn't get the benefits of skarsniks redskills before, which sort of relegated them down a notch. You could get squig specific bonuses later on but this is.. its just nuts.

I think this was mentioned as "Skarnsik's upkeep extends to all goblin units in his army now" in the official patchnotes which was also a thing, his cav and squig units did not recieve the -40% upkeep bonus but they do now, as well as scale insanely well with his other army buffing skills.

The charge bonus is definately changed as well, either intentionally or via bug since its still saying % based.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The new dwarf lords pale in comparison in terms of red skills. Tactical acumen only applies to rangers instead of quarrelers so unless you're going solely rangers with Belagor/runelord you're having ranged units that don't benefit.

And even the generic dwarf lords have the buffs pretty split up along the red skills.

At least Rune lords improved rune skills are good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Durthu is such a belligerent gently caress. When I do my GC as him I'm gonna have to play to form and just antagonize everyone.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Panfilo posted:

It's gone way beyond "power creep" to a full-on power rush at this point. I love smacking the AI around as much as the next guy and balance shouldn't matter at all in singleplayer, but the arms race in new content has really sucker-punched the original factions. Hopefully an extended calm after the release of the Old World Edition will see some decent conversion mods come out that level the playing field, but I'm getting pretty skeptical about CA's ability to slot in new content in ways that don't completely flip things rear end over tea-kettle.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

Durthu is such a belligerent gently caress. When I do my GC as him I'm gonna have to play to form and just antagonize everyone.

When I played Welves Durthu was happily smashing his way north and I more or less left him to it. I confederated the other two factions first, then went to see if I could get started on Argwylon and they were back down to 1 province and getting their poo poo pushed in. No idea what happened there, but it worked out for me.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Speaking of overpowered elves, how are you supposed to counter the fuckers as Dwarfs? Their late-game units outrange and outrun every single one of mine. All I can think of is stacking a buttload of artillery and trying to rout them before they rout me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

With an honour guard of quarrellers

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

immortal flow posted:

Speaking of overpowered elves, how are you supposed to counter the fuckers as Dwarfs? Their late-game units outrange and outrun every single one of mine. All I can think of is stacking a buttload of artillery and trying to rout them before they rout me.

I can reliably defeat elves as empire no probs but they inflict the heaviest of losses on me out of any faction.
Not sure how to deal with sisters of the thorn or the horse archer ones. I seem to deal with the main bulk and let those guys rout at the very end.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

immortal flow posted:

A couple of multiplayer matches I've watched have dwarf players making good use of buff stacking the rune-guys. The elves will run out of arrows before they can inflict significant damage on you with all the damage reduction.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

numptyboy posted:

I can reliably defeat elves as empire no probs but they inflict the heaviest of losses on me out of any faction.
Not sure how to deal with sisters of the thorn or the horse archer ones. I seem to deal with the main bulk and let those guys rout at the very end.
Shouldn't your crossbowmen or handgunners wipe out the horse cav without much effort? Sisters get the Anraheir debuff I guess, but it starts off on a long cooldown so it wouldn't come into play until much later.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Are the eagle units any good yet?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Spellsingers on an eagle are good because you can get them around easily to cast buffs. They still suck in a straight up fight.

I don't think the giant eagle is any better.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

It's gone way beyond "power creep" to a full-on power rush at this point. I love smacking the AI around as much as the next guy and balance shouldn't matter at all in singleplayer, but the arms race in new content has really sucker-punched the original factions. Hopefully an extended calm after the release of the Old World Edition will see some decent conversion mods come out that level the playing field, but I'm getting pretty skeptical about CA's ability to slot in new content in ways that don't completely flip things rear end over tea-kettle.

I'd say there's a pretty equivalent tier of power among most of the new DLC lords. Vlad, Skarsnik, Wurzag, Grombrindal, Mhorgur, the two Elf Lords, ect are pretty even with each other. Belegar, Volkmar and Ghorst are good but not quite as good, (Though Belegar is kind of a challenge campaign anyway) and the first two Beastmen LLs suffer a bit from being the first experiment with making stronger/more interesting LLs, they're a step up from the Vanilla LLs but still suffer from crap campaign bonuses and not too much individuality compared to generic lords.

Like, giving every LL an innate (and powerful) active skill is clearly a design goal they've followed for every DLC character starting with Vlad, that's probably the best example of something they should really give old characters, even Volkmar and Ghorst came a bit too early to get that one. Another one is how they replaced most of the "press button for +damage for 25 seconds" weapon skills from vanilla with unique passive augments or more unique activated skils.

Doubling down on Red Skills is a kinda weird decision though, those were always the most popular skills and they're twice as good for most of the new LLs.

Hopefully for the Old World Edition or just in the twilight between games they find time to spruce up the old guys a bit but I'm not holding my breath unless something is announced.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 21, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I haven't tried Eagles much since the hotfix, I think the increased animation kills make them a little less suicidal but not good by any means.

Spellsingers are an interesting case in that the Eagle Mount gives them mobility at the cost of most of their combat stats, while the Unicorn actually makes them a credible melee threat. Unicorns are pretty buff.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, Glade Guard are fantastic. Starfire Shafts just wreck poo poo, and during the final quest battle against that huge Beastmen army each of my four units of Glade Guard had over 250 kills. EACH. Give them a good vantage and they just wreck face. The poor Minotaurs didn't stand a chance.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Where was that effortpost about Deepwood Scouts/Waywatchers, and can someone tl;dr it for me?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gonkish posted:

Man, Glade Guard are fantastic. Starfire Shafts just wreck poo poo, and during the final quest battle against that huge Beastmen army each of my four units of Glade Guard had over 250 kills. EACH. Give them a good vantage and they just wreck face. The poor Minotaurs didn't stand a chance.

Archer spam has always been an effective mino counter which is one reason shielded minos are so crazy good and worth it if you are playing beastmen. Glade guard are overall incredibly effective with their insane range and powerful red line buffs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Archer spam has always been an effective mino counter which is one reason shielded minos are so crazy good and worth it if you are playing beastmen. Glade guard are overall incredibly effective with their insane range and powerful red line buffs.

What does red line do for Glade Guard that's so important?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sassassin posted:

What does red line do for Glade Guard that's so important?

+15% damage (buff) , +18% ammo, +12% reload speed, +12% damage (aura)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

drat Dirty Ape posted:

+15% damage (buff) , +18% ammo, +12% reload speed, +12% damage (aura)

Isn't that yellow?

How easy is it to mod the starting political relationships in the campaign? The Wood Elf alliance with Angrund doesn't make any sense to me (and makes the starter position way too comfortable) but breaking it on the first turn gives a pretty harsh penalty to diplomacy.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 21, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sassassin posted:

Isn't that yellow?

How easy is it to mod the starting political relationships in the campaign? The Wood Elf alliance with Angrund doesn't make any sense to me (and makes the starter position way too comfortable) but breaking it on the first turn gives a pretty harsh penalty to diplomacy.

Nah, it's the second red line (with a generic lord as soon as you put a point into one of the red lines it locks out the other, but Orion and Durthu can take both). My Durthu has all his points into red and yellow (aside from the first blue campaign movement bonus) and his army basically massacred even the final battle (on hard difficulty) with an unoptimized makeup of 5 treekin, 5 dryads, 6 glade guard, 1 eagle rider, 1 wild rider, 1 life spellcaster (every army MUST have one of these because they are just so incredible), and Durthu himself.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

sassassin posted:

Isn't that yellow?

You're thinking of the personal line for Glade Lords/Waystalkers etc.

My final battle for WElves ended up like this:

Wild Riders are so amazing it's not even funny. The majority of "my" losses were from the last bit with Morghur, because I let my ally facetank him and then went in round the sides to do the actual killing. Plenty of units didn't take a single casualty all the way through.

Wood Elves might have gone slightly too far the other way after the patch.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Corrode posted:

You're thinking of the personal line for Glade Lords/Waystalkers etc.

My final battle for WElves ended up like this:

Wild Riders are so amazing it's not even funny. The majority of "my" losses were from the last bit with Morghur, because I let my ally facetank him and then went in round the sides to do the actual killing. Plenty of units didn't take a single casualty all the way through.

Wood Elves might have gone slightly too far the other way after the patch.

Yeah I agree, I think they are a bit much now, though I don't really play multiplayer. Just finished my final battle (first time I almost finished it the game crashed before it ended) and Durthu alone had 256 kills, haha. The eagle riders are amazing too, they just require a bit of micro. They are the best unit in the game at making the AI do stupid things (I've had half an AI army split up to chase around 2 units of eagle riders... with all melee units) and they are fantastic at chasing broken units off the field. Since tree kin and dryads cause fear, they tend to break a lot of units that regroup and head back into the battle, and the eagle riders can decimate them with a few charges while they run (just remember to switch melee mode on).

e: Also, hellcannons are weirdly accurate at taking out eagle riders (or maybe I'm just unlucky) so make sure and take them out early or stay out of their range.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Update: I still hate facing wood elves in the campaign because it's so goddamn bloody.

That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Have you considered an army of steam tanks?

• Locked thread