Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jasdemi posted:

This error message appears right after I launch the app, without even attempting to login.
When I try to login, it says: "Login failed."

Logging into the forums using the mobile browser works just fine.

Force Stop, Clear Cache, and try it again, that usually works for most apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jasdemi posted:

I just installed the app, but after launching it I get the following message:
code:
Couldn't get forums data.
Check your connection and restart.
My connection is working fine. I tried both wifi and mobile.
I cleared cache and even reinstalled the app with no success.

Android 7.1.1

Any ideas?

It does this when you're probated

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Owned

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

He registered his account yesterday, his rap sheet is still pristine, so I don't think it's caused by a probation :v:

Jasdemi
Dec 20, 2016
Did you just assume my probation status? :triggered:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blue Train posted:

It does this when you're probated

No it doesn't, you get a purple bar across the top reminding you that you're a horrible monster :smith:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

No it doesn't, you get a purple bar across the top reminding you that you're a horrible monster :smith:

It only happens if you are probated while trying to log in for the first time. If you're already logged in it works like you say. I only figured it out because I happened to be probated when I got my new phone

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah, there was an issue where it wouldn't let you log in while probed, if you were already signed in you were fine. It got fixed but I don't know if that's in the release version yet

Uhhh not really sure why it won't let you log in, I think that's the actual problem though. You can see the empty forum index without being logged in? Pretty sure you should only get the login screen until you manage to sign in

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

FWIW, I found this thread because I started experiencing the same problem a week ago; thanks to y'all pointing out the obvious I've discovered that the forums in general have stopped connecting in certain PIA regions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PIA regions? Areas in the Philippines?

Knowing about wacky stuff the main site is doing would help with diagnosing problems

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Has anyone run into a weird bug lately where words are duplicating themselves when writing a post? I am thinking I have to chalk it up to some goofy bug recently introduced in the default keyboard but figured I should float it out there in case any of you ran into it.

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

Private Internet Access, a VPN service. US Silicon Valley specifically caused the problem but I don't think it's the only one.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

Has anyone run into a weird bug lately where words are duplicating themselves when writing a post? I am thinking I have to chalk it up to some goofy bug recently introduced in the default keyboard but figured I should float it out there in case any of you ran into it.
Turns out Google Keyboard had a pretty major update on Dec 15 so that is probably what is loving me up. I will try screwing with the settings on it but if anyone has a recommendation for a keyboard plug to use with Awful that would be nifty

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

CrashCat posted:

Turns out Google Keyboard had a pretty major update on Dec 15 so that is probably what is loving me up. I will try screwing with the settings on it but if anyone has a recommendation for a keyboard plug to use with Awful that would be nifty

I use SwiftKey and love it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ryanbruce posted:

I use SwiftKey and love it.
Same, I've been using SwiftKey across three phones and it's lovely.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

How can I open a URL to a specific post using the app?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm having the weirdest loving bug with this app and google keyboard and it's driving me crazy. Sometimes when I'm making a post here, and only in this app, google keyboard goes into a weird broken version of the mode it uses if you're trying to type into the search bar on the home screen of the Google launcher. So for example if I'm swiping stuff and it predicts the wrong word and the correct one isn't a suggestion, I can't hit backspace to delete the whole word and it'll only remove the last letter instead. However, unlike if I'm searching, I can't swipe left from backspace to delete the entire word because it locks up after selecting the word I just typed, highlighting the word but not actually deleting it. For even more fun, sometimes it decides to not start a new word after I finish the previous one, so I have to manually hit space so I don't have several words jumbled together.

It's the weirdest thing and I didn't post about it for weeks because I assumed it was something wrong with google keyboard but I haven't noticed this in other app on my phone.

Also of loving course it stopped acting up when I tried to write this post here but I'll post it anyway for good measure

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I get that in Hangouts and the google search bar sometimes. It's def the keyboard

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:psyduck:

I've been making sure to pay attention in other apps and it's never happened anywhere else but immediately appeared whenever I tried to use Awful. I was enjoying having a no-nonsense keyboard that Just Worked, why would you gently caress this up google

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I can get it consistently by
  • do a search in the Google homescreen launcher
  • click the search box in the results page
  • swipe backspace to select words to delete
  • nothing happens, hit backspace
  • cursor jumps to the start of the text
  • gently caress you

The 'haha for each letter you delete I will add a word!' bs is rarer but it still happens mostly in Hangouts for me. It's bad and yeah we got scroogled I guess

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I can get it consistently by
  • do a search in the Google homescreen launcher
  • click the search box in the results page
  • swipe backspace to select words to delete
  • nothing happens, hit backspace
  • cursor jumps to the start of the text
  • gently caress you

The 'haha for each letter you delete I will add a word!' bs is rarer but it still happens mostly in Hangouts for me. It's bad and yeah we got scroogled I guess

This doesn't replicate for me. Pixel XL, Pixel Launcher, latest GBoard.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I mean it seems like it affects people differently, so for me it looks like the search app is always playing up, but it's really the keyboard

we didn't do it :frogbon:

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How come the iPhone Awful app had flags in FYAD and the android one doesn't. poo poo sucks.

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

:siren:SHITPOSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this Nazi-loving dipshit on ignore immediately!
For the life of me I don't see how to post a new thread using this app. I can reply but not create a new thread

EDIT: Nevermind. Missed the part where it's not possible to create new threads. Oh well...

Cobra_Commander fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's because you can't

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Sometime mid-yesterday Awful app started giving me a loading error every time I tried to read a thread. This happened at the same time the Something app stopped working as well, which seems to be happening only on certain phones (?)

Reports in the Something app thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755981&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post468098929

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Probably site troubles

zen death robot posted:

Ugh I'm gonna have to go unfuck some network bullshit on a few machines that had been "cold migrated" by Steadfast because they were still running hypervisors on CentOS 5 or something and now shits acting strange on spx1 I'll have it fixed in a while.

It's probably regional or something too? WORKS FOR ME

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Been getting Network Error: Status 301 since the forums went down yesterday. Anyone else? Galaxy S5

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I had the same issue yesterday. Accessing forums through a browser worked fine at the same time. What ended up fixing it for me was updating to the newest version of Awful on Play Store. (Which, just FYI, seems to be running more sluggishly than the previous version I was using on an LG G2.)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Longbaugh01 posted:

I had the same issue yesterday. Accessing forums through a browser worked fine at the same time. What ended up fixing it for me was updating to the newest version of Awful on Play Store. (Which, just FYI, seems to be running more sluggishly than the previous version I was using on an LG G2.)
Worked a charm, thanks.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Scudworth posted:

Sometime mid-yesterday Awful app started giving me a loading error every time I tried to read a thread. This happened at the same time the Something app stopped working as well, which seems to be happening only on certain phones (?)

Reports in the Something app thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755981&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post468098929

Been having the same problem. Says Loading Failed instantly when I try to load up any thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been having the same problem on my Android phone, but I was running Awful Classic this whole time. I uninstalled it, downloaded the latest Awful update, and now it seems fine.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Scudworth posted:

Edit: whoops I use the other app. Posting there.

falz fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 10, 2017

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Getting the same loading error on version 3.1.2b.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sorry about your 2 year old version of the app.

As for the rest, I can't reproduce the problem. Did you try to use Chrome to make sure it's not goddamn Cloudflare again?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I'll have you know I'm using the latest version of Gingerbread.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Might be time to take your device behind the shed

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

No don't I'm painting it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

No don't I'm painting it

I don't think painting your device is going to turn out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'll paint ALL THE DEVICES I was poking the themes for no real reason