Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

TBH, hold onto it. There's a bunch of cheap skins on sale atm for 280 AUR, but most of them look like rear end and aren't worth buying unless you're trying to collect them all. Just see what looks good, and if something catches your eye, buy it -- and then sigh because most of us play Eve zoomed out and you can't see how pimp your ship looks ;P

My red cerberus I never fly is magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Zephyrine posted:

Then I will fight in the shade of those stories :sweden:

Good for you! Would you consider doing it somewhere else?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Klyith posted:

IDK how you expect to pay any dues when you are constitutionally incapable of taking even the smallest piece of advice from the people who don't hate you.

But on the bright side you can make a new friend. Someone who just pulled the same move you did! You two can have nice chats about how dumping drama into the public eye is a great way to get what you want.

lmao

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

These logs sure are a treat.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ullerrm posted:

TBH, hold onto it. There's a bunch of cheap skins on sale atm for 280 AUR, but most of them look like rear end and aren't worth buying unless you're trying to collect them all. Just see what looks good, and if something catches your eye, buy it -- and then sigh because most of us play Eve zoomed out and you can't see how pimp your ship looks ;P

I was surprised to see they removed a lot of skins from the store. Glad I got the Phoenix and Chimera Wyrkomi skins. Shame the red skin and blue skin look like rear end.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Rhymenoserous posted:

My red cerberus I never fly is magnificent.

:yeah:

I mean, let's be honest, pretty much the only reason to buy a skin is if:

A) you're flying a ship that's big enough to show it even when zoomed out
B) if you're making PvP videos or screenshots and want to look unique on video while zoomed in

And even given that you match one of the above, 70% of the skins in the NEX Store are Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation. The ones that do actually do something neat tend to be overpriced (i.e. the Star Captain confessor skin) or fugly (i.e. the Valkyrie skins for the merlin/moa/scorp) or not available in the store (i.e. the IGC and Blood Raider skins).

It's a source of perpetual frustration for me, because god knows I'm a loving skin whore in LoL and Atlas Reactor and other games. I'd be throwing money at CCP like mad if they actually did good skins.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Oh! Sorry, I misread your response to the post.

What he said, she wailed about it being the d word, back before you banned talk of that, for pages. So naturally I went into the system and screenshotted it and that was the post. I didn't realize you'd edited it until now though :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah if my name was Zephyrine, who has aspirations of being a doormat in goonfleet, I'd probably shut up and heed Xolve's warning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ullerrm posted:

B) if you're making PvP videos or screenshots and want to look unique on video while zoomed in

And even given that you match one of the above, 70% of the skins in the NEX Store are Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation. The ones that do actually do something neat tend to be overpriced (i.e. the Star Captain confessor skin) or fugly (i.e. the Valkyrie skins for the merlin/moa/scorp) or not available in the store (i.e. the IGC and Blood Raider skins).

It's a source of perpetual frustration for me, because god knows I'm a loving skin whore in LoL and Atlas Reactor and other games. I'd be throwing money at CCP like mad if they actually did good skins.

but you see, there's an intensive multi-step process to determine if the skins crash clients

also, uh, to make sure nobody dares make a skin that doesn't fit ~our artistic vision~ that has in the past included a pink dildo

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
wow suitonias 10 minutes of goon life was quick.

also

quote:

Kalamazoo Michigan Detroit4lyfe > fuckin gay russian scum

140 miles apart from each other.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

evilweasel posted:

but you see, there's an intensive multi-step process to determine if the skins crash clients

That's the biggest facepalmer for me. The chinese client has all these loving amazing skins because they know those things will sell, and CCP won't even import the existing skins into the game (much less allow that company to make new ones) because ~QA~~~

Hell, they haven't even converted the old Victory Rattlesnakes from two ATs ago into skins.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zephyrine posted:

Let me handle this.

Keep at it, you're doing great! :thumbsup:

ullerrm posted:

I never really bothered to look at the skins until you linked your screenshot. I hadn't realized just how many of them there are.

In addition to what you said, you get to look at the pretty colors on your ship in the fitting screen. That's probably when we get to see the skins the most.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ullerrm posted:

Using http://www.caldariprimeponyclub.com/ to look at skins on whatever ship you want makes me wish we had Sleeper skins and Caldari Navy skins.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ullerrm posted:

That's the biggest facepalmer for me. The chinese client has all these loving amazing skins because they know those things will sell, and CCP won't even import the existing skins into the game (much less allow that company to make new ones) because ~QA~~~

Hell, they haven't even converted the old Victory Rattlesnakes from two ATs ago into skins.

Are there any reasons for this? Did they even make an attempt at explaining this way? if the skins are already created and its just a matter of importing them, what's the hold up?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Dalael posted:

Are there any reasons for this? Did they even make an attempt at explaining this way? if the skins are already created and its just a matter of importing them, what's the hold up?

The Chinese server and clients lag behind the main one in terms of both functionality and mechanics. Tiancity made those skins using the old V3 texture/shader system, which is an entirely different art pipeline than the one that's currently used on TQ. So it's less "import the skins into TQ" and more "recreate them from scratch to work with the new skin rendering system," and CCP just doesn't consider it worth doing.

Which is why Chinese players get Vigilants with shark teeth, Barghests with racing stripes, and Panthers with female faces, golden Drakes and police Ishtars and black-and-gold Megathrons, and we get "it's caldari but slightly more blue this time."

e: On the flip side, Chinese players also pay 4B isk for PLEX, because botting is openly allowed and that means that isk is relatively worthless; real value is stored in minerals and moongoo.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ullerrm posted:

The Chinese server and clients lag behind the main one in terms of both functionality and mechanics. Tiancity made those skins using the old V3 texture/shader system, which is an entirely different art pipeline than the one that's currently used on TQ. So it's less "import the skins into TQ" and more "recreate them from scratch to work with the new skin rendering system," and CCP just doesn't consider it worth doing.

Which is why Chinese players get Vigilants with shark teeth, Barghests with racing stripes, and Panthers with female faces, golden Drakes and police Ishtars and black-and-gold Megathrons, and we get "it's caldari but slightly more blue this time."

e: On the flip side, Chinese players also pay 4B isk for PLEX, because botting is openly allowed and that means that isk is relatively worthless; real value is stored in minerals and moongoo.

Oh wow... You're not kidding, these skins are much better than anything i've seen on tranquility. I'd probably :homebrew: for some of those if :ccp: did something about it. Hell, they even made the potato look good.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
that noseart vigilant drat

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

that noseart vigilant drat

Why can't we have that again?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Because we're not allowed nice things.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Someone once boiled their ribs, and ever since, Goons have suffered as atonement for that sin.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Someone once boiled their tofu ribs, and ever since, Goons have suffered as atonement for that sin.

FTFY

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hmm I haven't actually done anything since the game went f2p, guess I should get on that-

👌👀

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Kesper North posted:

I swear to god, I'm going to boil these loving ribs if you don't stop. (All of you.)

Can we talk about the current state of the art in solo PVP ships instead? What's current? What's good? Are Svipuls still cancer?

Hi yes this is from a few pages back but I like talking about this.

So, with the Svipul nerfs the ship is still a powerhouse, but they're not the braindead victory machines they used to be. They're still absurdly strong, and chainsaw through most frigates and other destroyers while sitting on 400dps and 20k ehp. This fit is more or less the standard for AC Svipuls:

code:
[Svipul, *Buffer Neuts]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Warp Scrambler II

200mm AutoCannon II
200mm AutoCannon II
Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
200mm AutoCannon II
200mm AutoCannon II

Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Barrage S x1000
Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S x1640
Nanite Repair Paste x50

Needs a 1% CPU implant
18k ehp in defense mode.
400 dps in sharpshooter.
2600m/s in propulsion.

You can pimp out the MSEs to Republic Fleet for an extra ~2k ehp at 10m/module, and T2 extender rigs further increase that to 22k ehp in defense mode. That will let you drop the CPU implant.

It has a few major weaknesses; weak projection past scram range, and low base speed means a scram+web will keep the damage marginally managable. But even then, Barrage is dealing ~125dps at 10km, which is respectable at that range.

Because of this, the majority of the meta has shifted away from hard brawlers to scram kiting with web or dual propped. An example is Suitonia's Kestrel:

code:
[Kestrel, **Kestrel]
Ballistic Control System II

Medium Shield Extender II
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Nova Rage Rocket x580
Inferno Rage Rocket x380
Mjolnir Rage Rocket x380
Scourge Rage Rocket x380

Needs 1% CPU implant
There are variations, but that's the general fit. It's actually a fairly brainless ship once you're fighting; get into scram range, web them down, and maintain range of 8-9.5km while you burn them down with full-damage Rage missiles. Most of the decision-making comes before you're into the fight, sizing up your opponent, getting a feel for their fit, knowing the right damage type, and maintaining good range so you stay out of the majority of their gun's optimals or, when necessary, under their tracking. If piloted with skill, you can easily clown on destroyers, interdictors, T3Ds, and assault frigates.

There's a Vigil Fleet Issue fit that's essentially a faction version of the same thing.

I personally have a good time flying the humble Comet

code:
[Federation Navy Comet, *AM I BEING DETAINED]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer

Warp Scrambler II
1MN Afterburner II

150mm Railgun II
150mm Railgun II

Small Transverse Bulkhead I

Warrior II x3
Acolyte II x3

Javelin S x500
Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x1160
Spike S x500
Caldari Navy Iridium Charge S x500
Nanite Repair Paste x76
This does something similar to the Kestrel, but with railguns, and it's extremely good at killing things. The insane tracking bonus on the hull lets you do some truly sick things from extremely safe ranges. It can also fit an MWD or dual prop with relatively minimal sacrifices. It's a do-everything hull that's quick, tough, and punches above its weight at many ranges.

I mostly just fly frigates, but the meta is shaking out to be pretty great, and many people disrespect the strength of the humble T1 frigate.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 21, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

:excellent words:

This. They also redesigned the Jackdaw to have one less mid and one more low, so it's less ridiculously tanky but has one more slot for damage mod / fitting mod / nano, which has done wonders for it as a small gang / solo boat at the cost of some of its versatility for fleets :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I actually kinda wanna finally fly the jackdaw now and give it a go. Light Missiles still the way to go on that?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

VG its not actually a doxx or anything, she put all of her alts into the system and anyone with access (a huge huge huge number of people) can see them.

A likely story.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The other really underrated frigate at the moment is the Rifter -- it's still a garbage hull, but when they buffed the fitting requirements for small arty as part of the Svipul rebalance, it helped the Rifter and Jaguar as a side effect. Instead of the old standby of "200mm ACs and two falloff rigs," you can do 280mm arty with an AB (or 250mm with a MWD) and put out some pretty vicious alpha for a frigate at scram kite range.

Quite a few people think the Cruor is underrated; it's not good, but it's not bad either. A little bit of pimp goes a long way on it, and turns a garbage ship into a pretty good one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Hmm I haven't actually done anything since the game went f2p, guess I should get on that-

👌👀

I'm actually loving playing around on my alpha clone in FW space. Mainly because I'm doing it with an Incursus and it takes me back to my first days of EVE down in Khanid :911:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ullerrm posted:

The other really underrated frigate at the moment is the Rifter -- it's still a garbage hull, but when they buffed the fitting requirements for small arty as part of the Svipul rebalance, it helped the Rifter and Jaguar as a side effect. Instead of the old standby of "200mm ACs and two falloff rigs," you can do 280mm arty with an AB (or 250mm with a MWD) and put out some pretty vicious alpha for a frigate at scram kite range.

Quite a few people think the Cruor is underrated; it's not good, but it's not bad either. A little bit of pimp goes a long way on it, and turns a garbage ship into a pretty good one.

I have a lot of respect for rifters ever since I was murdered by one in my Taranis. The guy had reshipped to one after I killed his Atron. I thought I could take him and this is how it turned out.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Viva Miriya posted:

I actually kinda wanna finally fly the jackdaw now and give it a go. Light Missiles still the way to go on that?

Rockets

code:
[Jackdaw, *Simulated Jackdaw]
Damage Control II

Warp Scrambler II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Expanded Probe Launcher II

Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Sisters Combat Scanner Probe x8
Scourge Rage Rocket x250

Needs a 2% PG implant
This is basically the new Svipul. Speed is limited at just shy of 2.1k unheated in propulsion, but it makes up for it with nearly 400 dps out to 12km and ~19k ehp. Use Faction against anything with an afterburner. Rage won't apply properly; over half the damage will be mitigated by speed alone.

LMLs are nice, but you sacrifice a lot of things to make them work on a ship that's not particularly fast, so your kiting potential is weak. Flying it like a bigger Kestrel produces a lot more killing potential.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Appreciate it dude, thank you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jackdaws are cool and good.

I'd also like to remind people that CCP's whole "Mystery Code" thing from the 2nd Decade Collector's Edition hasn't had anything added to it for like 2 years now. Don't worry though, CCP Falcon said "We haven't forgotten about it. We just don't want to give you any old item and want to think of something really special." Meanwhile they shovel tons of stuff that are just reskins of the last set of items they gave out with better etc. :ccp:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 21, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

👌👀

Soo, what happened here?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

great frigate pvp advice

Kestrels: Not just for cynos anymore. Going to have to give that a try just for sheer giggles. The Comet (STOP RESISTING) is going to see some use too.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

Kestrels: Not just for cynos anymore. Going to have to give that a try just for sheer giggles. The Comet (STOP RESISTING) is going to see some use too.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

Kestrels have been a decent T1 Frigate for like two years.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ullerrm posted:

the minmatar Thukker skins are pretty boss

waiting for angel cartel skins though, ccp :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If they made Thukker Sabre or Broadsword skins, I'd buy them in an instant. Easily the best Minmatar skin in the game. And the Vaga is probably the sexiest looking cruiser in the game.

I'm also partial to the Khanid skin, but Cold Steel is close enough.

E: Also, the winter giveaway skin for the stabber is probably the best application of it I've seen.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

the minmatar Thukker skins are pretty boss

waiting for angel cartel skins though, ccp :(

ElitistOps was formed by the Archangles to be their elite hit squad. They use the most up-to-date Angle Cartel ship designs and always know when to strike true. They are bright eyed bushy tailed little fellows with a fighter pilot attitude.

Duty. Honoure. Courage. Gloury.
This Is Our Credo. This is ISRAD.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Soo, what happened here?

buy ship+fitting -> pick nearest nullsec region (geminate) -> get dunked enroute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Bomber's Bar idiots are having a meltdown over a singular awox. It's amazing.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA4H1VTB1Zs&t=2052s

Edit - Also this is :laffo: http://chao3.net/news/ploons-i-rebel

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread