Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

emdash posted:

I have a WD Black 3TB drive that has about 21,000 power-on hours. This morning, I checked on my computer and found the drive wasn't showing up in Windows at all--not even in the Disk Management component. Rebooting didn't fix it, but reseating the SATA power connector did cause the drive to wake up. Everything looks OK in SMART, but I know that's not exactly the end-all metric. To replace or not to replace? Or what further tests should I run?

It's not too uncommon for cables to become loose over time due to vibrations. You should be OK to keep using it.

Just be sure whatever data you need is backed up!

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Actuarial Fables posted:

It's not too uncommon for cables to become loose over time due to vibrations. You should be OK to keep using it.

Just be sure whatever data you need is backed up!

Interesting. I do have Crashplan backups so I'll probably be okay. I just don't relish being without all this data for the shipping time of a new drive. I'll see what chkdsk says.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

emdash posted:

I'll see what chkdsk says.
Never run CHKDSK on a potentially failing drive. If Crystal Disk Info says the drive is fine then CHKDSK will too because it's much less sensitive, and if the drive does have problems CHKDSK will just push it further towards death without helping you. The time to run CHKDSK is if you think there might be software problems with the filesystem, such as when the system gets shut down unexpectedly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it possible to use my laptop as an auxiliary monitor for my desktop? It's a T440p, has VGA and displayport. I've used both as outputs, but will those connectors receive inputs if I hook my desktop up to them? Desktop has HDMI and displayport directly on the mobo, and hdmi and 2 DVI ports on the GPU, one of which goes to my main (and currently only) monitor.

If those ports are typically output-only, then I'll have to suck it up and get a second monitor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enourmo posted:

If those ports are typically output-only, then I'll have to suck it up and get a second monitor.

They’re output only.

Video capture costs money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

emdash posted:

I have a WD Black 3TB drive that has about 21,000 power-on hours. This morning, I checked on my computer and found the drive wasn't showing up in Windows at all--not even in the Disk Management component. Rebooting didn't fix it, but reseating the SATA power connector did cause the drive to wake up. Everything looks OK in SMART, but I know that's not exactly the end-all metric. To replace or not to replace? Or what further tests should I run?

Back that poo poo up just in case. But you should be doing that anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Enourmo posted:

Is it possible to use my laptop as an auxiliary monitor for my desktop? It's a T440p, has VGA and displayport. I've used both as outputs, but will those connectors receive inputs if I hook my desktop up to them? Desktop has HDMI and displayport directly on the mobo, and hdmi and 2 DVI ports on the GPU, one of which goes to my main (and currently only) monitor.

Your only option is to use software like Synergy to share the laptop monitor over the network, though that'll have a little bit of lag. Works plenty fine for most stuff that isn't fast-action games at least.

You can't do video input on there without a USB capture card.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fishmech posted:

Your only option is to use software like Synergy to share the laptop monitor over the network, though that'll have a little bit of lag. Works plenty fine for most stuff that isn't fast-action games at least.

You can't do video input on there without a USB capture card.

Yeah it's mostly be just having references up for doing CAD stuff without having everything crammed into a corner of the screen, so response time wouldn't be an issue. Never thought of doing stuff through the network, I'll look into that!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
My case (FD Nano S) front audio ports cause a very annoying microphone buzz when my video card is active. This doesn't happen with the rear motherboard ports and Google suggests it's some kind of (inconsistently described in results) electrical interference. I'm no electrical engineer so this is voodoo to me, but I'd like to be able to use the front ports since it's annoying to have to reach behind and unplug cables when switching from speakers to headset. Is there any way I could somehow fix this?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Elotana posted:

My case (FD Nano S) front audio ports cause a very annoying microphone buzz when my video card is active. This doesn't happen with the rear motherboard ports and Google suggests it's some kind of (inconsistently described in results) electrical interference. I'm no electrical engineer so this is voodoo to me, but I'd like to be able to use the front ports since it's annoying to have to reach behind and unplug cables when switching from speakers to headset. Is there any way I could somehow fix this?
There's a cable running from the front audio ports on the case to a header on the motherboard. Check how that cable is routed, for example if it's resting on the videocard or otherwise unnecessarily next to components. If that doesn't help much just get an extension cord and use the rear ports.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Or you could add a USB DAC to create a barrier between your audio and the zillion things going on in the motherboard.

I've used the Behringer UCA-202 for a while now: sound quality is great, works in Windows and desktop Linux automatically and yours for £/$20.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
reposting from the pc parts picker thread, cause I'm not sure where to ask for microphones.

I need a microphone, around the $70 range, although I'm in Denmark where electronics prices are way higher so what is $70 for you might be a lot more for me.

I was thinking of getting a Snowball but I heard it had cable port issues and would break easily, so I dunno. Any advice?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Trier posted:

reposting from the pc parts picker thread, cause I'm not sure where to ask for microphones.

I need a microphone, around the $70 range, although I'm in Denmark where electronics prices are way higher so what is $70 for you might be a lot more for me.

I was thinking of getting a Snowball but I heard it had cable port issues and would break easily, so I dunno. Any advice?
I think the place for mic advice is the Tech Support Fort in the Let's Play forum, because those folks do all the talking for Internet people.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Alereon posted:

I think the place for mic advice is the Tech Support Fort in the Let's Play forum, because those folks do all the talking for Internet people.

cool thanks, I'll go ask there

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
If my computer randomly shuts down while playing games, but not while doing other stuff, is it more likely the power supply or the graphics card?

Both parts are less than a year old, shuts off after 10-30 mins, immediately restarts

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 23, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

EwokEntourage posted:

If my computer randomly shuts down while playing games, but not while doing other stuff, is it more likely the power supply or the graphics card?

Both parts are less than a year old, shuts off after 10-30 mins, immediately restarts
Power supply, or something overheating.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Alereon posted:

Power supply, or something overheating.

Is there a way to check the power supply? The bios shows the voltages pretty close (12v as 12.192v).

The asus software showing the temp never shows it over 30c

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
What's the brand and model of the power supply? The Asus software isn't reliable for temperatures, use GPU-Z for the videocard temps, and a program that can read CPU core temps like CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

I just fixed exactly the same problem on my dad's pc yesterday. In normal use, the passive cooling was sufficient. But when he was watching videos whilst playing solitaire, it would always shutdown after half an hour or so. With the side of the case off and a desk fan blowing onto it, it would always run stable.
Turns out the fan on the graphics card had failed. I used HWMonitor to measure GPU temps, and watched it go over 100 degC whilst attempting to run the fan at full speed but it never started to spin.
Swapped it out for a spare card from another machine and now it runs totally stable.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alereon posted:

What's the brand and model of the power supply? The Asus software isn't reliable for temperatures, use GPU-Z for the videocard temps, and a program that can read CPU core temps like CPUID Hardware Monitor.

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W. Looks like it has a warranty so I'll look into that, just wanna make sure replacing the right part.

I'll look into the other stuff after I get back in town. Thanks for the help

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Gah so I bought a steamlink to use with my racing rig so I don't have to drag my desktop to it every time I want to race. Works great for video but I forgot that my monitor doesn't have an audio out. Is there an hdmi to hdmi + 3.5mm device that i can use to split the video and audio? Am I going to need to spend $30 on something like this https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Extra...o+extractor+3.5 or is there a cheaper way to go about it?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

EwokEntourage posted:

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W. Looks like it has a warranty so I'll look into that, just wanna make sure replacing the right part.

I'll look into the other stuff after I get back in town. Thanks for the help

I have the 650W version of the Supernova G2 and they get really good scores in reviews. I'd be tempted to rule out the GPU side of things first, then maybe look at returning the PSU. I'm not saying that just because they are highly rated it's impossible to get a bad one, just going for the most plausible option first.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

apropos man posted:

I have the 650W version of the Supernova G2 and they get really good scores in reviews. I'd be tempted to rule out the GPU side of things first, then maybe look at returning the PSU. I'm not saying that just because they are highly rated it's impossible to get a bad one, just going for the most plausible option first.

Is there a good way to check the gpu besides getting better temperature monitoring software? Maybe uninstall it and see if it crashes using onboard graphics?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Any recommendations for connecting a PS3 controller to a Windows 10 PC? I do not want to use Motioninjoy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Any recommendations for connecting a PS3 controller to a Windows 10 PC? I do not want to use Motioninjoy.

E:Wait, getting my drivers mixed up, nm

If you can get hold of a ds4 its a way nicer experience and some games have support built in

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 24, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I still use Nefarius's fork of Scarlet Crush's Xinput Wrapper. Works fine but if you want to install it for bluetooth your bluetooth won't work for anything but ps3/ps4 controllers. You DO need to have xbox 360 controller drivers installed onto windows before using this.

https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/releases

Go down to the stable version. The beta is a total rewrite of the driver but is still in beta so has issues.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 24, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

havenwaters posted:

I still use Nefarius's fork of Scarlet Crush's Xinput Wrapper. Works fine but if you want to install it for bluetooth your bluetooth won't work for anything but ps3/ps4 controllers. You DO need to have xbox 360 controller drivers installed onto windows before using this.

https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/releases

Go down to the stable version. The beta is a total rewrite of the driver but is still in beta so has issues.

This worked for me. Thanks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the system is rebooting immediately I doubt it's overheating. That would power off and then stay off.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

EwokEntourage posted:

Is there a good way to check the gpu besides getting better temperature monitoring software? Maybe uninstall it and see if it crashes using onboard graphics?

If you mean temperature, just run it with the side off and a desk fan blowing at it. If all is good then something was overheating.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Maybe there's a stress test you can run that specifically targets the GPU whilst leaving the CPU alone?

I dunno. I'm not really a graphics card man. I only bought my first Nvidia 900 series card the other week, and that's cos I saw a great second hand one going at a decent price (the popular msi gtx970).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't find a cable that fits in the optical port of the receiver. The toslink cable does not fit, and the miniplug cable is too thick.

Are you supposed to remove the cap on the toslink cable to make it fit in with a jack-like size? And if so, how the hell do you go about that?

e: It looks like a piece of plastic snapped off on the receiver port. Not that I know where that leaves me.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ufarn posted:

I can't find a cable that fits in the optical port of the receiver. The toslink cable does not fit, and the miniplug cable is too thick.

Are you supposed to remove the cap on the toslink cable to make it fit in with a jack-like size? And if so, how the hell do you go about that?

e: It looks like a piece of plastic snapped off on the receiver port. Not that I know where that leaves me.

Are you looking at a Mini-TOSLINK perhaps?

Hope your bit that snapped off wasn't vital.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Geemer posted:

Are you looking at a Mini-TOSLINK perhaps?

Hope your bit that snapped off wasn't vital.
It already "works"; I just wanted to add a splitter so their Apple TV would also have surround. For now, I'm just connecting the receiver with the splitter, even though the cable is a bit long, but I wonder what the technician did when he set theirs up. I can only imagine he removed the cap on the toslink to get it to work.

evrae
Nov 28, 2016
What's a decent webcam or camera for 720p 30fps streaming and recording? For youtube and twitch etc...

Appreciate any recommendations!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I need to upgrade my Xbox storage and want to get an SSD, however the price difference for an external SSD vs an internal one is ridiculous.

Is there any downside Im missing to just buying an internal SSD and an enclosure and just making my own external SSD in 15 seconds?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The downside is what is happening now: doing research and picking proper quality parts that interact properly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I need to upgrade my Xbox storage and want to get an SSD, however the price difference for an external SSD vs an internal one is ridiculous.

Is there any downside Im missing to just buying an internal SSD and an enclosure and just making my own external SSD in 15 seconds?

Some external enclosures are designed for hard drive speeds only, so you won't get the full benefit of the SSD's write/read speeds. This won't harm your SSD or anything, but it'll be wasting the premium price you paid for SSD storage instead of a regular hard drive. Try to find reviews that mention if the enclosure you're looking at can properly handle SATA 3.0 speeds.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to "refresh" a hard drive or SSD that's been sitting unpowered for several years? Basically I just want to reset the clock on bit rot due to age desegregation.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Copy data off, format, copy data on.

edit: more esoterically, if it's powered and idle won't an SSD start doing housekeeping on itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chuu posted:

Is there a way to "refresh" a hard drive or SSD that's been sitting unpowered for several years? Basically I just want to reset the clock on bit rot due to age desegregation.

Running a full scale disk defragmentation process that involves re-sorting all the data instead of just defragmenting (like MyDefrag's Data Disk Monthly and System Disk Monthly presets) will read and rewrite practically all the data whether on a hard drive or SSD. Obviously on an SSD that's going to eat into the amount of writes available int he flash, but that's not too big an issue for a drive like that which you're barely using.

Jago posted:

edit: more esoterically, if it's powered and idle won't an SSD start doing housekeeping on itself?

This will happen, but it happens slowly over time. If it's a drive he leaves around a lot he probably won't leave it connected long enough.