Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For the hose unaware that I went back to college, I was just awarded the history department's thesis prize. My topic: a cultural history of beef in America.

Let me know if you have beef questions. :bigtran:

Congratulations!

Beef question: can I get a copy? That's very much up my alley and I'd really like to see what you found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For the hose unaware that I went back to college, I was just awarded the history department's thesis prize. My topic: a cultural history of beef in America.

That's cool. So is it Dr. Beef or Master Beef?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

YES. Please just post your thesis please. Did you cover much of changes in cattle breeds between the Old West Cattle Drive era and the Freezer Car/Refrigerator Era? Or is it more about just the tastes and appetites of Americans? Either way, it sounds super interesting.

Edit: Oh, any focus on butchery techniques and presentations? Dinosaur era stuff like beef rib crowns, racks of honor, and whole roasted joints for carving.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 15, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wow, thanks for the good words!

I touched a little bit on the development of the shorthorn from the longhorn, the Chicago meatpacking industry and how that changed cattle economics and so forth. I didn't get into butchery. Mostly I was asking why we eat so much beef in the West - this wasn't always the case, you see. It turns out that, going all the way back to Tudor times, Anglos have been wanting to eat lots of beef, but it was economics and availability which disallowed this. In the West specifically, people were eating lots of sheep and preserved pork until enough packing plants came on line to supply people with the amount of beef that they demanded, which was a 20th century phenomena.

TLDR: People wanted beef in the west but couldn't get it from Chicago because the refrigerated cars mostly ran East.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wow, thanks for the good words!

I touched a little bit on the development of the shorthorn from the longhorn, the Chicago meatpacking industry and how that changed cattle economics and so forth. I didn't get into butchery. Mostly I was asking why we eat so much beef in the West - this wasn't always the case, you see. It turns out that, going all the way back to Tudor times, Anglos have been wanting to eat lots of beef, but it was economics and availability which disallowed this. In the West specifically, people were eating lots of sheep and preserved pork until enough packing plants came on line to supply people with the amount of beef that they demanded, which was a 20th century phenomena.

TLDR: People wanted beef in the west but couldn't get it from Chicago because the refrigerated cars mostly ran East.

Does Texas actually have a law against defaming beef, as King of the Hill would lead me to believe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No but vegetarianism is punishable by a $5000 fine and a 6 month term in a reeducation camp in Bushland.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What fact did you discoved during research that most surprised you?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That the Taylor grazing act was equally parts insidious and short sighted, and that more than anything else it was this act which destroyed the sheep industry in the west.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That the Taylor grazing act was equally parts insidious and short sighted, and that more than anything else it was this act which destroyed the sheep industry in the west.

Gonna share this factoid with the Malheur occupation thread.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sheepmen Vs Cowboys claims another victim.

How do thesis' work? Is it behind a paywall or not publicly available yet? Because I for one would seriously like to read it, as a non-academic but professionally motivated agri-person.

Not that i'm saying :filez: your thesis, that would be bad and wrong. For real, don't do that if you shouldn't, I just want to read your thing but don't know how this works.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

That's cool. So is it Dr. Beef or Master Beef?

Master Shake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz0RaZSMsA

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Any recommendations on a good cookbook for Mediterranean food? My friend really likes making whatever he can from scratch having had access to really good food in the past. A good set of recipes would make him pretty happy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

Any recommendations on a good cookbook for Mediterranean food? My friend really likes making whatever he can from scratch having had access to really good food in the past. A good set of recipes would make him pretty happy.

Ottolenghi Plenty has some fantastic recipes. It's the Middle Eastern side of the Med - Mediterranean food encompasses a huge range of cuisines.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

therattle posted:

Ottolenghi Plenty has some fantastic recipes. It's the Middle Eastern side of the Med - Mediterranean food encompasses a huge range of cuisines.

Thanks! I think Middle Eastern is the side he's interested in. He complains a lot about how you can't get good falafel in this city.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 16, 2016

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

Thanks! I think Middle Eastern is the side he's interested in. He complains a lot about how you can't get good falafel in this city.

All the Ottolenghi books are excellent but the first one in particular calls for a lot of obscure ingredients. If he likes ME food Persiana is also really excellent.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

therattle posted:

All the Ottolenghi books are excellent but the first one in particular calls for a lot of obscure ingredients. If he likes ME food Persiana is also really excellent.

You're a blessing, thanks!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Happy Sauce Day, everyone!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

TheScott2K posted:

Happy Sauce Day, everyone!

EYYY ITS THE GABBA GHOUL EYYYYYYY

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey, remember when my Cuisinart blade shattered?
Looks like I'm not the only one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/dining/cuisinart-recall.html

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are stupid. "At least 69 consumers told the company that pieces of the blade had ended up in their food. Of those, 30 people sustained broken teeth or cuts in their mouths." Hmm, if you see your blade is broken, don't eat the drat food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

People are stupid. "At least 69 consumers told the company that pieces of the blade had ended up in their food. Of those, 30 people sustained broken teeth or cuts in their mouths." Hmm, if you see your blade is broken, don't eat the drat food.

Unless you have x-ray vision, it's entirely possible a small shard can end up inside a large clump of food, not visible to the outside.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I didn't take pictures but last night I made bolognese sauce from scratch, no jar poo poo allowed. Man it took some time (and I only simmered for 1.5 hours when 1 hour was the minimum) but holy crap it tasted so much better than the bolognese I'm used to.

I did learn a couple things. First, "cooking" mince til grey is waaay different to browning mince. Cracks and pops are normal. When you add wine it will be all you can smell but this is okay because it mellows out. Sweating vegetables does not mean "vaguely heating" them. Fresh garlic is so easy to prepare there is no reason to use jarred minced garlic.

There's probably other lessons I learned but I just wanted to thank this forum for guiding me on my cooking adventure. Proper home made bolognese has been on my list for ages and I finally did it.

Thanks guys.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, remember when my Cuisinart blade shattered?
Looks like I'm not the only one.

I have an old Little Pro Plus with a blade that looks pretty much exactly like the photos, but it's not the recall list so uh fingers crossed I guess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

Maybe they discovered the blade was broken when their mouths found bits of it in their food?

WHO'S STUPID NOW?!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

syntaxfunction posted:

There's probably other lessons I learned but I just wanted to thank this forum for guiding me on my cooking adventure. Proper home made bolognese has been on my list for ages and I finally did it.

Thanks guys.

Hearty slaps on the back and cigars all around! You can take the knowledge you gained from your first pot there, and apply it to about 90% of stove top cooking.

Also, bolognese sauce freezes fantastically well, so you can make a big batch ahead of time, freeze it in small tubs, and just pull one out to use with a quick pot of pasta when you're feeling lazy. I grew up eating like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

syntaxfunction posted:

I didn't take pictures but last night I made bolognese sauce from scratch, no jar poo poo allowed. Man it took some time (and I only simmered for 1.5 hours when 1 hour was the minimum) but holy crap it tasted so much better than the bolognese I'm used to.

I did learn a couple things. First, "cooking" mince til grey is waaay different to browning mince. Cracks and pops are normal. When you add wine it will be all you can smell but this is okay because it mellows out. Sweating vegetables does not mean "vaguely heating" them. Fresh garlic is so easy to prepare there is no reason to use jarred minced garlic.

Thanks guys.

Grats dude. It's a short step from there to using similar techniques to making really good beef stew etc. Brown up the meat and deglaze that, sautee up the veggies and deglaze with wine then reduce, etc.

Tons of other ways to go from there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

Also, bolognese sauce freezes fantastically well, so you can make a big batch ahead of time, freeze it in small tubs, and just pull one out to use with a quick pot of pasta when you're feeling lazy. I grew up eating like that.

Freeze it in ziploc bags and get them as flat as possible. They defrost way faster and you can stack them in your freezer.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chemmy posted:

Freeze it in ziploc bags and get them as flat as possible. They defrost way faster and you can stack them in your freezer.

I do the exact same thing with boiled peanuts. Works like a charm. the weight of the others helps them flatten out and after they freeze you can stack them like books in there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've got cracks on 3 of 4 rivets on my cuisinart blade :aaa:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the freezing tips. I actually entertained some people that night so there was only a little bit left over for me to have the next day. Still delicious though. I always considered myself a decent cook but yeah, actually making things properly is nice. It also mitigates the want to get junk food because why would you when homemade stuff tastes a million times better?

Now to pop over and read the curry thread to nail the other meal I've always wanted to do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I do the exact same thing with boiled peanuts. Works like a charm. the weight of the others helps them flatten out and after they freeze you can stack them like books in there.

Even the idea of boiled peanuts in general is so loving puzzling to me that I can't even get my head wrapped around someone liking them enough to freeze them and then presumably re-boil them at a later point when they have a hankering for the gross little things.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

Even the idea of boiled peanuts in general is so loving puzzling to me that I can't even get my head wrapped around someone liking them enough to freeze them and then presumably re-boil them at a later point when they have a hankering for the gross little things.

Don't come to the south, they are inescapable down here.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Unless you have x-ray vision, it's entirely possible a small shard can end up inside a large clump of food, not visible to the outside.

I just assumed they snapped in two/big pieces, didn't consider small shards. That and I didn't read to far into the article. :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

I just assumed they snapped in two/big pieces, didn't consider small shards. That and I didn't read to far into the article. :v:

As the saying goes, never assume because it makes you look like a fecking eejit.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I've got cracks on 3 of 4 rivets on my cuisinart blade :aaa:

Found the pic!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EAT THE EGGS

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8018253/us-dietary-guidelines-drop-cholesterol-warning

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bongwizzard posted:

You don't have to re-boil them. The most you have to do is warm them up, and that's completely optional.

They seem most similar to chickpeas (although usually a little softer and saltier) to me (I made a really great hummus out of boiled peanuts, using peanut butter in place of tahini).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ulmont posted:

You don't have to re-boil them. The most you have to do is warm them up, and that's completely optional.

They seem most similar to chickpeas (although usually a little softer and saltier) to me (I made a really great hummus out of boiled peanuts, using peanut butter in place of tahini).

I knew I saw George Washington Carver rise from his grave, and now I also know the reason.

\/\/ They're SLIMY peanuts are supposed to be CRUNCHY AND ROASTY TOASTY and not the consistency of a kidney bean. It's like, "Oh, hey, you like chicken? Here's this puffin I buried under a rock last year, it's fantastic"\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 22, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you don't like boiled peanuts I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you but it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
And what's wrong with fermented puffin?