Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems like they might be sticking with the theme of every civ being overpowered but in different ways, which I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man barb camps getting horseman + horse archers immediately if they spawn near horses is some garbage, my first stab at poland is a bust thanks to having to deal with that and america and germany declaring war on me on turn 30

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo yea i have the deluxe so i get this for free. Nicccceeee

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Grand Fromage posted:

It seems like they might be sticking with the theme of every civ being overpowered but in different ways, which I like.

this is kind of true

but then you have civs like america and norway

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JetsGuy posted:

Just like they can in real life?

Submarines, both in real life and in-game (thanks Beyond Earth for adding this, yet another feature Civ6 inherited from it) carry cruise missiles as well as torpedoes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

:siren: ALERT :siren: thank god.

The overlapping bonuses being gone makes me sad. I liked being able to specialize areas with heavy industry an the like.

The unique districts no longer being cheap was expected. That was insane.

Religious units may fortify until healed, again, thank god.

Viking DLC also adds stuff to the base game:

quote:

Six new City-States added to the base game:
Auckland (Industrial): Additional production for Coastal tiles.
Antananarivo (Cultural): Culture bonus that increases with every Great Person earned.
Armagh (Religious): Builders can construct the Monastery improvement, which provides Faith and heals religious units.
Granada (Militaristic): Builders can construct the Alcazar improvement, which protects military units and provides Culture.
Muscat (Trade): Bonus Amenities in cities with a Commercial Hub.
Palenque (Scientific): Improved City growth for cities with a Campus.
Three new Natural Wonders added to the base game:
Eyjafjallajökull
Lysefjord
Giant’s Causeway

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

How to pronounce Eyjafjallajökull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo_ND41-6g

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

yea I'm into Civ's new style being 'you're very OP at the thing you're good at, everything else you're normal at'. There's nothing stopping you from playing different but if you want to play the 'intended' way you're gonna be pretty fuckin good, but so is everyone else. Poland is a beast in its way, but Spain's whole thing is looking at Poland and going 'that's cute that you think you can play'.

My only problem is...well they didn't really do that for EVERYONE. No one really is unplayable, but stuff like America, I got no loving clue what I'm supposed to do with that for most of the game.

I like the design style, but I wish they had actually done it for everyone.

Jastiger posted:

Oh poo poo yea i have the deluxe so i get this for free. Nicccceeee

Yea I forgot I jumped on the cheaper deluxe version, fun surprise there!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My only problem is...well they didn't really do that for EVERYONE. No one really is unplayable, but stuff like America, I got no loving clue what I'm supposed to do with that for most of the game.

Use the +5 strength bonus on your home continent to Manifest Destiny every other civ and City State on your home continent, then do whatever you want.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

America slaughters everybody else on its continent, basks in splendid isolation, then floods the world with cheap movies and McDonalds.

In Civ6, too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RIP Germany, you were fun when you were overpowered since you were the only civilization that can build poo poo faster than I obsoleted it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to start a game with continents and got Pangea. Did that used to happen before the patch?

I hate Pangea, because starting the game in the middle of a huge landmass sucks in the early game. Because barbarians come at you from all directions, and you don't have enough units to protect your city from all directions at once. You end up with 3 different barbarian scouts on the screen at once, and it takes too long to travel around to stop them even for your scouts. Nothing better than endlessly chasing barbarian scouts which you can't catch.

At least with continents, the game starts you near an ocean, and so that's about 180 degrees of safety from barbarian attacks.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Culture bombing with Poland offers up new ways to mess people up according to one of the new achievements:

You Are A Terrible Person
Playing as Poland, destroy another civilization's incomplete wonder by initiating a Culture Bomb

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

One "easy" thing that could be done to address this would be honestly how I thought it'd work in the first place: overlapping bonuses shouldn't stack. One city shouldn't be able to benefit from multiple regional buildings of the same type. That'd keep the empire-building puzzle element without encouraging the admittedly unhealthy trend of Factory/Power Plant grids ruling the day. Not sure if it'd wholly address the problem, but it would help. Wouldn't deal with the Commercial Hub spam, of course, which is a whole different can of worms.

Funny how I just mentioned this

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there an auto renew option for trade routes or at least renew last trade route option?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

Use the +5 strength bonus on your home continent to Manifest Destiny every other civ and City State on your home continent, then do whatever you want.

+5 combat bonus is not really overly powerful or anything

also if it's like a common map type like pangaea and you end up going to a different continent, then you end up losing that combat bonus

also it really sucks that you can't upgrade previous tier units into rough riders either

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I see they changed up the production costs of Wonders by era but nothing about districts. With the changes to Factory/Power Plant, districts will take even LONGER to build as you get more and more techs/civics. And there were already a lot of complaints about that before the nerf to overlapping district bonuses.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ccubed posted:

I see they changed up the production costs of Wonders by era but nothing about districts. With the changes to Factory/Power Plant, districts will take even LONGER to build as you get more and more techs/civics. And there were already a lot of complaints about that before the nerf to overlapping district bonuses.

Just mean internal trade route spam is even more important

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Oh hai, there, Poland's Cloth Hall.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Oh, earth map is the earth, rather than earth-like. :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Oh, earth map is the earth, rather than earth-like. :(

it's also standard size only which blows because knowing the actual scale of the earth makes the map feel goddamn tiny

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Does the Earth map have True Start Locations for every civ?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Does the Earth map have True Start Locations for every civ?

as poland i started in brittany and travelled east to find america the civilization and grenada the city-state

so yes

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

While I love new Civs and leaders being added, I think the game hasn't chosen well. They seem against using leaders who were in previous versions even if they are clearly the most powerful leader in the civiliation's history. Most civs seem to have their B team running the show for some reason. I feel like this is where multiple leaders would have helped a lot. Each Civ gets the leader we all recognize and an alternate who can offer up something unique.

Poland is another example of this. Shouldn't it be Casimir or Boleslaw? Shouldn't Napoleon always be an option for France? Looking at the other civs and feel the same way about Rome, Russia, England, America, and Germany. And why aren't the Mongols in the vanilla version? Pretty close to Rome as having one of the greatest empires in history.

I know it's a dumb gripe but it's just weird to pick a prominent Civ and have it led by the person you'd probably place 10th in terms of importance in their history. I hope with the emphasis on strengths of each Civ/Leader in this version (which I love), they will give us more options to play as.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

This feels to me like a justification-for-ignoring-prominent-women-in-history post, for some reason.

Probably because "the most powerful rulers in the civilization's history" are predominantly men, with women like Queen Elizabeth I very much in the minority.

Maybe it wouldn't have come off that way if the people you chose to name explicitly weren't all men. Hmm.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

they picked these leaders so you want to buy the well established/known ones

General Morden fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 21, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'd rather learn about cool and interesting rulers I didn't know about, or who were distinctive for other reasons. If we had to pick loving Churchill, Napoleon, Washington and so on for every game I'd be pretty fed up. You're gonna get some repeats for sure, but I don't think I'd be sad if Ghandi wasn't a ruler in the base game. Also more women rulers makes the lovely Civ players angry which is a bonus.

Of course the multiple rulers thing means we'll probably get some more notable people or whatever as time goes on, and mods will give us all the Hitlers we'll ever need.

These changes in the patch are pretty good. I felt really hedged in to building Industrial Zones everywhere, but now the game pace is slower and the "auras" don't stack I can potentially diversify a bit more. Might be worth putting Entertainment Complexes down at last!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Is the AI able to actually take cities with walls now?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is the AI able to actually take cities with walls now?

I really hope something this massive didn't slip through the cracks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

This feels to me like a justification-for-ignoring-prominent-women-in-history post, for some reason.

I'll be pretty salty if they go with Ka'ahumanu over Kamehameha I or V since her whole claim to fame was being a literally uneducated person in a seat of power who thought that stamping out traditional Hawaiian mysticism and converting to Christianity would save her people from smallpox instead of, y'know, medicines and vaccines (lol it didn't).

Liliuokalani might be an ok choice aside from the fact that she was basically a dethroned figurehead while the US figured out exactly how they wanted to exploit Hawaii

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 21, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Do the Polish submarines have screen doors? :haw:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Nothing about the stupid district cost scaling or not being able to upgrade units when you discover a new tech and that you don't have any of the resource? Pass.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Niwrad posted:

While I love new Civs and leaders being added, I think the game hasn't chosen well. They seem against using leaders who were in previous versions even if they are clearly the most powerful leader in the civiliation's history. Most civs seem to have their B team running the show for some reason. I feel like this is where multiple leaders would have helped a lot. Each Civ gets the leader we all recognize and an alternate who can offer up something unique.

Poland is another example of this. Shouldn't it be Casimir or Boleslaw? Shouldn't Napoleon always be an option for France? Looking at the other civs and feel the same way about Rome, Russia, England, America, and Germany. And why aren't the Mongols in the vanilla version? Pretty close to Rome as having one of the greatest empires in history.

I know it's a dumb gripe but it's just weird to pick a prominent Civ and have it led by the person you'd probably place 10th in terms of importance in their history. I hope with the emphasis on strengths of each Civ/Leader in this version (which I love), they will give us more options to play as.

Half of the leaders will be women just like in real life.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The White Dragon posted:

I'll be pretty salty if they go with Ka'ahumanu over Kamehameha I or V since her whole claim to fame was being a literally uneducated person in a seat of power who thought that stamping out traditional Hawaiian mysticism and converting to Christianity would save her people from smallpox instead of, y'know, medicines and vaccines (lol it didn't).

Liliuokalani might be an ok choice aside from the fact that she was basically a dethroned figurehead while the US figured out exactly how they wanted to exploit Hawaii

Think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, chief. 1. We don't know if any Polynesian countries will be represented, and 2. if they amalgamate them again they may choose a leader from a different island chain.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The Deleter posted:

I'd rather learn about cool and interesting rulers I didn't know about, or who were distinctive for other reasons. If we had to pick loving Churchill, Napoleon, Washington and so on for every game I'd be pretty fed up.

This is it for me. I prefer playing as men or women I have never heard of and then going and reading more about them. File under can't-please-everyone I guess. If it irks people who get distressed about the increased number of female leaders, that's just a bonus.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gravy Jones posted:

This is it for me. I prefer playing as men or women I have never heard of and then going and reading more about them. File under can't-please-everyone I guess. If it irks people who get distressed about the increased number of female leaders, that's just a bonus.

I love Napoleon, but I'm also sick of him. Even though Catherine's spy powers seem kind of useless, I enjoy seeing something different.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Darkrenown posted:

Nothing about the stupid district cost scaling or not being able to upgrade units when you discover a new tech and that you don't have any of the resource? Pass.

Is there any expectation for either of these things to ever be changed? Particularly scaling districts which seems like it's a pretty core mechanic/design decision that would require everything to be rebalanced.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gravy Jones posted:

See also: Catherine de Medici.

Hint: Napoleon wasn't French by birth, either, he was Corsican and famously was absolutely terrible at speaking French.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

See also: Catherine de Medici.

Hint: Napoleon wasn't French by birth, either, he was Corsican and famously was absolutely terrible at speaking French.

He was also not actually that short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Deleter posted:

I'd rather learn about cool and interesting rulers I didn't know about, or who were distinctive for other reasons. If we had to pick loving Churchill, Napoleon, Washington and so on for every game I'd be pretty fed up. You're gonna get some repeats for sure, but I don't think I'd be sad if Ghandi wasn't a ruler in the base game. Also more women rulers makes the lovely Civ players angry which is a bonus.

Of course the multiple rulers thing means we'll probably get some more notable people or whatever as time goes on, and mods will give us all the Hitlers we'll ever need.

Yeah I don't mind mixing it up a bit but I do think a few of the leaders should be staples in the game. Maybe that's more an argument that the biggest Civs should have multiple leaders. Feel like France should be led by Napoleon who is most iconic and fun to see in animations. England should be led by Elizabeth because she's most tied to England while Victoria is more representative of the UK. Montezuma and Gandhi seem embedded in the game.