Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Positive is lower utilisation, negative is ??? Unless you can't control spending and a higher limit would lead to more spending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
If really stretching to find something, one possible negative is you can occasionally run into a creditor who doesn't like seeing too much in open credit lines and might decline some kind of application. This would probably be something with weird requirements like a credit union maybe. Of course even if that happens you could just decrease an existing line and then reapply. It would also require reallly high totals, and one card wouldn't get you that high.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm one to regularly increase my credit limits (every 6 months or so) just to help my utilization. In the past I received comments like this:

Bisty Q. posted:

The high limits thing is on a per-bank basis. Most banks operate in that they have an internal total credit limit they're willing to give you, and if you have enough cards to hit or exceed that limit, you won't be automatically approved for a new card. Not being auto approved is bad news for a churner, so that's why there's so much talk of micro-ing it.
...which certainly seems true. When I opened my CSR, they gave me a lower limit than I expected since I already had a CSP and Freedom with decent limits. Chase will let you move limits between cards however you like though, so I beefed up my CSR and left $1000 limit on my CSP (before eventually closing it anyway).

I don't really see a downside to requesting limit increases, though check with your issuer if they're one to do any sort of credit pull (if you care). Some banks do no pull, some do a soft pull, and some do a hard pull.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

P_T_S posted:

Quick question: Should I reply to my Chase card's request for income info so they can increase my credit limit? It is my only credit card and I usually only spend 15% or less of my limit and pay it off every month. What are the positives/negatives of having more credit?

My feeling is that if you're going to have a new hard pull on your credit report, you may as well incur it by applying for a new card instead so you can get a bonus. Otherwise I agree with everything that's been said.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

P_T_S posted:

Quick question: Should I reply to my Chase card's request for income info so they can increase my credit limit? It is my only credit card and I usually only spend 15% or less of my limit and pay it off every month. What are the positives/negatives of having more credit?

They sent me this request twice in the last month or so. I have plenty of credit across all my cards so I ignored it. Checked my last statement and they auto increased my line and almost doubled it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The travel credit on my CSR just rolled over. Awesome that I got $300 of transit after opening and another $300 right away. Used my first $300 to load up the balance on my transit card (commute by train each day, ~$12 round trip).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

The travel credit on my CSR just rolled over. Awesome that I got $300 of transit after opening and another $300 right away. Used my first $300 to load up the balance on my transit card (commute by train each day, ~$12 round trip).
I noticed that I had a couple small parking transactions (one or two bucks) count toward my travel credit. I wonder if my $800/year school parking pass will count.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I noticed that I had a couple small parking transactions (one or two bucks) count toward my travel credit. I wonder if my $800/year school parking pass will count.

Not if it's coded as paid to the school. If it's a different merchant in their system... Maybe.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also got some parking covered. Now I'm wondering if I cancel the card after I hit the $300 and get some of the $450 back or if I can justify paying $450 again. So far...

-$450 fee
+$300 travel bonus
+$100 Global Entry
+$1,500 airfare for family vacation with 100k points
= $1,450 gained by getting the CSR

That also doesn't include the new $300 travel benefit bringing it to $1,750. I plan on getting a rental car soon so more savings.

Seems that the longer you hold the card it will quickly decline in overall value. Just becomes whether it's worth $150 a year for rental car discounts and 1.5x on travel for points earned.

Plan is to rinse and repeat under my wife's name next year though!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Can you just got back and forth between the csr and CSP, just get the new card and close the old one, repeat after 12 months?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Can you just got back and forth between the csr and CSP, just get the new card and close the old one, repeat after 12 months?

I'm thinking mix in the various platinum cards for some variety.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ilkhan posted:

Perhaps, but with credit card companies continuing to tighten their application rules and the CSR being less than a year old, it's impossible to say with any certainty

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Years ago I got my Sallie Mae thanks to this thread, never thought I'd be back here sad about it going away. Goddamn.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

*~these are the financial milestones of our lives~~~~

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I use Double Cash and the Costco card. Come at me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No Butt Stuff posted:

I use Double Cash and the Costco card. Come at me.

This is my current combo as well. The only thing I don't like is Citi's customer service is probably the worst of all my cards (except some cap one cards I don't use). I've had good experiences with Chase, Amex and Discover

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there a reason not to get the Chase Reserve Preferred now that I have the Sapphire bonus? I can combine the bonus points right?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I barely ever use my default credit card (US Bank Perks +) and I only chose that since it was the recommended choice when I was switching to US Bank since my old bank (UMB) wasn't supported whatsoever where I went to college.

Is there a clear-cut better option (preferably with a $0 annual fee) for someone who has a credit score of 805? I'm hoping that paves the way to something that's actually worth going through the effort to use.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Rewards Visa (both 2% cash back) are still the default response, I think. If you're looking for travel perks, or have a high initial bonus offer you think you can hit (i.e. $4000 in 3 months) then that could change the recommendations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Travel/hitting an initial bonus aren't in the cards for me right now, so I'll check those two out. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Costco card might be a good option as well, depending on if you shop there already.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Now that fidelity is a visa, I think it should be the default choice for cash back.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Like everyone else, I've been pretty interested in the CSR, but since I can't pay rent with my card anymore I don't have a guaranteed way to hit the spend requirement for the bonus. But, I just found out today that I can pay my wife's last student loan off with a credit card. My first thought was to immediately apply for the CSR and sneak in $300 of travel spend before the end of the year to get double the travel credit. Looking at previous posts though, it looks like that won't work because my first statement would be in January.

I guess it would make the most sense to wait a couple months so I can get the credit in 2017 and 2018? I'm not sure it would be worth it for me to keep the card, but the first-year value is undeniable even without much consistent spend.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You can use Plastiq to pay the rent for anyone, they just send a check. Of course you have to pay credit card fees but it makes it easy to reach that $4K.

steimer
Jun 6, 2005
The other thing you can do is fund a few bank accounts with the card. PNC lets you do it, and you can knock out the spend requirement in minutes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I got my csr over the summer and in the past week I started getting another $300 in travel credits. I think they reset a bit before the year ends so you can double dip with one annual fee.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
After maybe a month and a few of CSR ownership, I've already been able to take advantage of the following:

- 100k bonus points
- first year $300 travel credit and about $40 into the second year (refunds Lyft rides fyi)
- airport lounge access for me, my wife and kid, although I'm the only cardholder
- 1:1 conversion rate on foreign transactions (rented a baggage cart in Frankfurt for 1 € and the charge was $1.04... and it was refunded by the travel credit)

Still planning on doing the global entry. Not sure if I'll keep the card a second year but am very satisfied with the value so far.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 24, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

steimer posted:

The other thing you can do is fund a few bank accounts with the card. PNC lets you do it, and you can knock out the spend requirement in minutes.

How does this work?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you use Metro North or LIRR, and have an iPhone, and have a Chase card, you can get up to $30 back on tickets bought through the new MTA e-Tix app: https://www.chase.com/digital/digital-payments/apple-pay/apple-pay-mta

I had no idea this existed but got the credit accidentally.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How does this work?

Many banks let you make your initial deposit via credit card. Typically the amount is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$3000, although last year Citi allowed you to fund a Citigold account with up to $100,000 from a credit card (o_O). You need to be careful that credit card funding posts as a purchase and not a cash advance, or else you'll be hit with some big fees that make it not worth it. Here's a handy resource to see which cards to use for which banks: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

e: To close the loop, you simply pay off your credit card with money you deposited in your new bank account.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Is there any consensus yet on the best way to get the $100/$200 airline credit for AMEX PRG/Plat now that the United MileagePlus is dead for Amazon gift cards?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Airline gift cards are pretty much it; there should be plenty of updates on flyertalk in a few days since the new year started.

If you just want cash you'll need to resell the gift card

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Chase Sapphire Reserve signup bonus is being reduced from 100k down to 50k as of January 12th, though the offer will apparently still be available if you apply inside a branch until March 12th.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

THF13 posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve signup bonus is being reduced from 100k down to 50k as of January 12th, though the offer will apparently still be available if you apply inside a branch until March 12th.
Aand I was gonna wait, but gently caress that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just signed up for it in December. Want to sign my wife up too but getting both minimum spends in overlapping months might be tough.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

THF13 posted:

Ooh that sucks. My travel might fall outside of that window. I guess I could take a chance and apply for it anyway.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Applied for Sapphire Reserve but got the "your application is under further review" page. I suspect it's because I already have three cards with Chase (Sapphire Preferred, United, Southwest Premier), but anyone have a similar experience and found that it was for that reason? I was planning on consolidating all three cards into this one, not sure if there's any way I can let them know that.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Both my wife and I got that and it meant we were denied so welp.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Chase has a reconsideration line you can call. They most likely don't want to approve you for more credit than you already have with them, especially since I think the minimum credit line for the CSR is $10,000. You should be able to call and ask if they can move available credit from your other cards to the Reserve.

My plans to get the bonus for the Preferred and Reserve for 150k points might have just gone up in smoke, I'm technically under 5/24 as of March 24th so my only shot would be to apply in a branch before then, get denied and then call the reconsideration line in April. Not sure if their reconsideration line works for in branch applications though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Applied for Sapphire Reserve but got the "your application is under further review" page. I suspect it's because I already have three cards with Chase (Sapphire Preferred, United, Southwest Premier), but anyone have a similar experience and found that it was for that reason? I was planning on consolidating all three cards into this one, not sure if there's any way I can let them know that.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Both my wife and I got that and it meant we were denied so welp.

When I originally applied for the CSR (which I was well under violation of 5/24 at the time) I received that message and presumed I was denied as well. About a week later I got a notice that I was approved. Didn't call or nothing (as I heard that was basically application homicide at the time) so there's hope.

I'm considering trying to get another with my wife but she has very little income (stay at home Mom with side business) and has been an authorized user on the many many cards I've signed up for over the past few years.

Worth a shot though!