Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Pwnstar posted:

The Railroad shouldn't have been a main faction, they should have been a small collection of infiltrators in the other factions who offered you alternate quest solutions.

Agreed. The Atom Cats should've been a main faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would rather that the Atom Cats, Railroad, Children of the Atom and maybe the towns or others were actual minor factions that maybe interacted with the main factions to some degree.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

They were obviously goading people into killing MAH BABY without realizing who it was, but at least props for giving you that one option. It just feels hollow when a hundred other puppets beforehand are arbitrarily immortal.

Of course as with all Bethesda games scripting bugs kinda ruin some of these moments. :v:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I would rather that the Atom Cats, Railroad, Children of the Atom and maybe the towns or others were actual minor factions that maybe interacted with the main factions to some degree.

While I hate the Children of Atom because their central tenet doesn't work without the magic of massive quantities of radiation being non-harmful to their members, they'd have been a million times better as a minor faction. Even if it was powder-gangers level where most players can be expected to be hostile to them most of the time and they don't have any super huge interesting branching quests, that's fine. It's so dumb that they're hostile to everything by default; must be hard to recruit new members when they shoot every human on sight. The Far Harbor CoA were a much better implementation, but I don't even ask to have them be a part of the main story.

Your Computer posted:

Quests like the Institute one where you're sent to get the nerd who's defended by Minutemen make it clear that even if you're the General you don't actually have any authority, since if you try to go "stand down, I got this" they can refuse to listen and literally say "this isn't the army, you can't command us". It's all volunteer work on the principle of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" and they don't have a big sense of cohesion I feel. I do enjoy the fact that they're all actually helping each other though, with no sinister ulterior motive. It's strangely refreshing in the otherwise cynical post-apocalyptic world :v:

This particular quest does really make the post of general feel hollow though even if it works how you're saying. If the Minutemen are anarcho-militarists, why have ranks and a general's position at all? It doesn't make any sense.

It also leads to why I think the Minutemen are a lovely ending. With no form of structure at all they're just going to devolve into petty self-interested squabbling, as humans do. The game even acknowledges that with how Quincy became a total clusterfuck.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The more I think about it, the best way to describe a Bethesda game if you play it for a really long time is that, basically, you're the only real person in Westworld. You know that nobody else is real and that the creators of your environment have given you limited control over how much you can change, and corporate in-fighting has left many of the interactions glitched, non-functional, noticeably absent, or just stale, but there's still a kind of charm to the whole thing that draws you in.

Overall, I think Fallout 4 is a better game than their previous installments for, say, the first 40-60 hour you put in, whereas Skyrim has more longevity to it. Oblivion, which is a game with more obvious, atrocious, glaring flaws in terms of the basic gameplay than both of those (I play FO4 and Skyrim unmodded, but can't stand to do it for Oblivion), is weirdly more fun to play long-term: it's the only one that I completed literally every quest in (almost all of them with one character).

I think Fallout has a more naturally appealing setting because it's a bit more unique for video games and it can absorb a lot of cool regional flavor, but almost because the Elder Scrolls feel more naturally like a "video game," it's easier for me to overlook the "Only person in a world full of doofus artificial intelligence" aspects of it.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Oblivion is the game I discovered "tgm" which I played the whole game with. Then I played FO3 and stopped using tgm because the guns couldn't reload because they never ran out of ammo.

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

Oblivion is the game I discovered "tgm" which I played the whole and with. Then I played FO3 and stopped using tgm because the guns couldn't reload because they never ran out of ammo.

You don't even need a cheat if you want to, because putting like 20 percent chameleon on everything makes you permanently invisible. You can toggle sneak, hit things repeatedly, and they will never find you.

Don't do that though. Instead, play a character who eventually maxes sneak, destruction, and illusion, and create a custom spell that does fire damage over time and then makes you invisible, so that you can watch NPCs calmly have conversations while they are burning to death.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

aniviron posted:

It also leads to why I think the Minutemen are a lovely ending. With no form of structure at all they're just going to devolve into petty self-interested squabbling, as humans do. The game even acknowledges that with how Quincy became a total clusterfuck.

Absolutely, if you have no actual loyalty to the higher ups, it can blow up at any time like it did in the past and small factions will turn into raider gangs or just not respond to emergency calls.

It's a very idealistic faction and works only if everyone is loyal like Preston. Hell, even the gunners have a more cohesive structure than the Minutemen, though they were grossly underdeveloped in the game and should have been a joinable faction. They're more of a threat than the institute is :v

I've been focussing on the railroad this time (not even at Kellog's part in the MQ) but their side quests feel way more interesting than BOS so far. I know it's likely just because they're "new" still, I like that it's not just purely "go kill x ghouls and collect random blood samples from animals".

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
After 8 days of playing finally got my first legendary mod minigun.

It's instigating.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just realized playing around with my female sole survivor last night. Male sole survivor, Nate, is army guy. Wife is army wife. Nate is not Shaun's father.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

I just realized playing around with my female sole survivor last night. Male sole survivor, Nate, is army guy. Wife is army wife. Nate is not Shaun's father.

Clearly you missed the part about the park :v:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I may be a complete loving sociopath. But given how hard they tried to shove "MAH BABY" down your throat throughout the whole game and how unsympathetic both Shaun and the Institute were, I happily left that little bastard behind to get nuked after super sledging the original.

Preston disapproved, so I knew I'd made the right choice.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never understood why Preston cared if you left the kid behind. He knows it's a synth and he didn't seem to have any particular love for synths.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 19, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Does anyone have a list of recommended PS4 mods?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Patrick Spens posted:

Would like to know this as well. The Bethesda mod page seems like a nightmare to navigate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Patrick Spens posted:

What are you looking to do?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
It's my first playthrough, so many any necessary balance fixes or graphics mods. but I wouldn't say no to the ability to have my dog and a companion, or something to up the customization of settlements.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Patrick Spens posted:

Unlocked Settlement Objects
Unified Clothing Overhaul
Remove God Rays
Remove Lens Flare

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Patrick Spens posted:

It's my first playthrough, so many any necessary balance fixes or graphics mods. but I wouldn't say no to the ability to have my dog and a companion, or something to up the customization of settlements.
When you go to the mods menu in PS4 it'll bring up a list sorted by subject. I haven't done any graphics stuff, but there are a bunch that will remove/change some of the texture options to make it run smoother (like grass density, godrays, etc). I have a Pro so short of the occasional bump where things go to poo poo spectacularly the framerate has been good for me. There are more that will make water look better, live trees, etc.

I haven't found any yet that will allow both a companion and Dogmeat. Whether this is because nobody's bothered or it changes the code enough that Sony won't allow it, I don't know. Also like you said there are a shitton of mods so they may be out there.

For settlements, there are lots of those. A modder named Colzie has a series called "Cleans up the Commonwealth" where they sculpt terrain, remove stupid junk and make it more builder friendly. Another modder named okie1682 has a ton of these as well. You can find plenty that will allow extra items in settlement buildings - things not normally unlocked like clean versions of furniture or textures for walls. I'm currently running one by andrewcx that works well. Other small QoL like infinite power cable length and infinite radius for power connectors are great.

I'd avoid any mod rated under 4.5 stars, there are enough out there that one that's rated badly probably does suck.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Thanks guys.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Playing on the PC here. I upped settlement size to about triple normal capacity, and now things are losing textures and light maps are throwing fits, now that ive built up past the original limit. Am I seeing limits of my video card coming up, or problem with the engine?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
This video - it's so over-the-top and passionate that you really do owe it to yourself to at least click around this THREE HOUR critique of Fallout 4 and Bethesda in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQs9ugQiOA

Seriously; it's. . . loving fabulous, whether you agree or not with anything he has to say.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This video - it's so over-the-top and passionate that you really do owe it to yourself to at least click around this THREE HOUR critique of Fallout 4 and Bethesda in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQs9ugQiOA

Seriously; it's. . . loving fabulous, whether you agree or not with anything he has to say.

you need some other entertaining thing to keep someone's attention for 3 hours

that's why the plinkett reviews are so effective

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

There's no way I'm going to watch a 3 hour video review so I just skipped around at random points and I agree with the things he's said so far. I had no idea there was a quest with a ghoul trapped in a refrigerator for 200 years, I'm glad I missed that part when I played the game. Bethesda is retarded.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dunno what the review says but Bethesda operates like a lovely DnD GM. Lots of little ideas and vignettes without any idea how to gel them together.
The rational of one does not affect another because they operate in little pocket universes.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

I can't believe I'm defending Bethesda, but right off the the of my head, the first two games had: ghosts, Godzilla, the phone booth from Dr. Who, time travel, Monty Python characters, Max Mad beating your rear end if you hurt Dogmeat, talking deathclaws, Skynet, and your companions singing the song from Thunderdome upon defeating the final boss.

A silly side-quest poking fun at Indiana Jones 4 where you rescue a ghoul kid stuck in a fridge for 200 years?! You crossed the line, Bethesda!
:goonsay:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Castor Poe posted:

I can't believe I'm defending Bethesda, but right off the the of my head, the first two games had: ghosts, Godzilla, the phone booth from Dr. Who, time travel, Monty Python characters, Max Mad beating your rear end if you hurt Dogmeat, talking deathclaws, Skynet, and your companions singing the song from Thunderdome upon defeating the final boss.

A silly side-quest poking fun at Indiana Jones 4 where you rescue a ghoul kid stuck in a fridge for 200 years?! You crossed the line, Bethesda!

All that and no mention of the radscorpion chess master, the hubologists or blowup dolls that could get renamed after your character if you got hosed by a super mutant?

Also also Skynet was amazing, he's my robo-waifu with a gauss rifle and I won't have you badmouthing him. :colbert:

aniviron fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 21, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Castor Poe posted:

I wish the Talking Deathclaws survived canonically after FO2 :smith:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I can't believe people are still salty about the kid in the fridge quest. Hardcore fans are hilarious

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Got this game on sale over Thanksgiving, and even though I spent only $30 on it I feel like it was a waste of money. Everything about the game is mediocre. The story, the gameplay, the factions, the items. Combat was fun for a while (I'm playing a melee character), then I found a nice set of power armor and have been steamrolling everything since. The only time I get out of power armor is to impress people with my tuxedo to pass speech checks.

God drat you, Bethesda. You have truly ruined one of the greatest gaming franchises of my generation.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

aniviron posted:

All that and no mention of the radscorpion chess master, the scientists, or blowup dolls that could get renamed after your character if you got hosed by a super mutant?

Also also Skynet was amazing, he's my robo-waifu with a gauss rifle and I won't have you badmouthing him. :colbert:

poo poo, I can't believe I forgot about Radscorpion Bobby Fischer in Broken Hills. I...didn't know about the blowup doll thing. I need to reinstall FO2, it's been too long since my last playthrough and, besides, I've been meaning to try the restoration mod for a while now.

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish the Talking Deathclaws survived canonically after FO2 :smith:

I wish they didn't cut the giant spear wielding raccoons from F01.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Half of those encounters are Wild Wasteland type encounters that are so rare you'll probably never see them (I did so many playthroughs of FO2 I lost count and I never got those random encounters.) Of what you listed, I only ever got the ghost quest, and saw the talking deathclaws since that was a part of the main quest. The idiotic stuff Fallout 2 did with Scientologists and the modern day space shuttle and talking deathclaws is indeed stupid, no argument there, but the difference is that while those were parts in Fallout 2 that were dumb as poo poo, the rest of the story wasn't dumb and lovely to help alleviate it.

Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 both have parts that are dumb as poo poo in addition to the rest of the story being dumb and lovely. There's never a break from it. They get less leeway as a result of that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh good, we're back to the Bethesda Fallout v. Purestrain Fallout debate. :smith:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Oh good, we're back to the Bethesda Fallout v. Purestrain Fallout debate. :smith:

War. War Never Changes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bilal posted:

Half of those encounters are Wild Wasteland type encounters that are so rare you'll probably never see them (I did so many playthroughs of FO2 I lost count and I never got those random encounters.) Of what you listed, I only ever got the ghost quest, and saw the talking deathclaws since that was a part of the main quest. The idiotic stuff Fallout 2 did with Scientologists and the modern day space shuttle and talking deathclaws is indeed stupid, no argument there, but the difference is that while those were parts in Fallout 2 that were dumb as poo poo, the rest of the story wasn't dumb and lovely to help alleviate it.

Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 both have parts that are dumb as poo poo in addition to the rest of the story being dumb and lovely. There's never a break from it. They get less leeway as a result of that.

The "dumb" stuff in Fallout 2 was humorous. They were put in the game by a team of developers and writers who didn't take themselves too seriously and clearly understood that games are supposed to be fun.

In contrast, the dumb stuff in Fallout 4 is just plain dumb.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bicyclops posted:

I'm gonna assume said debate was also happening back when Fallout 2 came out about how those idiots ruined the perfection of Fallout with their idiot references.

Anyway, I still contest that Fallout 4 is just a much better Fallout 3, so if Bethesda raped your childhood they already did it several years ago with even shittier combat, a dumber main plot featuring a worse Brotherhood of Steel, and a DLC where you take over a spaceship with the help of a little girl :shrug:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 4 was decent

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

frajaq posted:

Fallout 4 was decent

This guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway, I still contest that Fallout 4 is just a much better Fallout 3, so if Bethesda raped your childhood they already did it several years ago with even shittier combat, a dumber main plot featuring a worse Brotherhood of Steel, and a DLC where you take over a spaceship with the help of a little girl :shrug:

I would go even further to say if Bethesda, a video games company, raped your childhood that your childhood was pretty poo poo and not worth remembering to begin with.

e: Like, if how you measure the joy of childhood is video games you're pretty hosed and nothing will ever bring you joy ever again.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread