Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Sunning posted:

Barring a withdrawal notice, all Grand Prix Final competitors can go onto perform in the Free Skate as long they competed in the Short Program and received a score from the judges. The only reason not to compete in the Free Skate would be to avoid aggravating an injury since simply competing and finishing an ISU sanctioned competition, however poorly, gives some points towards your world standing rank. Yes, figure skaters have DBZ style power levels.

In competitions with a large pool of competitors, such as European/National/World championships, skaters can fail to advance to the Free Skate if they don't archive a certain rank in the Short Program, such as placing 21 when the cut off was the 20th ordinal. This isn't the case in the Grand Prix Finals since there are only six skaters in each event.

Awesome, thank you! Pretty interesting to learn all about this. And here I thought my sport(fencing) was particularly weird about qualifying rounds at tournaments haha. Seems like a bunch of sports have similar ways to qualify for events, which is neat. But yeah thanks, that's exactly what I was curious about and all of the details about the world standing rank were pretty interesting, so I appreciate it.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Torrannor posted:

What's up fellow YOI music addict? In addition to Theme of King JJ and History Maker, I'm also listening to In Regards to Love: Agape and Yuri on Ice. And after repeatedly listening to it, I think Theme of King JJ has a sad quality to it that I only really began to appreciate after episode 11.

I'm probably going to put the whole OST on my iPod eventually. It's just so good and the vocal tracks have that goofy stadium-filling musical-esque quality I adore.

I really feel that Theme of King JJ is my favorite for the reason you mentioned - it didn't change at all between its original performance and how it is used in episode 11 and yet it perfectly fits both moods. It is so soaring and arrogant, yet it has this beautiful melancholy and if you really listen to the lyrics there are so many references to wanting to be the best not out of pure pompousness but because he wants to "show you how" to reach the stars and the like. No wonder he has such a rabid fanbase - he's a giant (and hilarious) jerk, but there is an element of wanting to shine brightly so others can aspire to do better because of him. It is so complex, much like the show and it's characters, really.

Theme of King JJ is just begging for a full power ballad version with improved lyric translation and a full chorus to chant the "JJ" parts. I can't listen to it without remembering the fan crying in the audience in 11. God, what a show. What a soundtrack.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
What I love about this show is that you really feel that the characters love the sport and put everything they have in their performance. A lot of sports anime try to do that too, but it's always more of a telling thing than a showing thing. You hear characters scream that they love basketball, but you don't really see how basketball affects their lives and personality. You just hear them talking about how much they love the sport instead of letting us...well, see it. Here you see just how much each character loving loves the sport, puts everything they have in it, and the frustration that comes with not knowing if you're talented enough not to be left behind by it. It really stands out because I seriously don't remember other sports anime beside maybe like, Slam Dunk, that really sell how much the sport matters to the characters.

MattTheDoctor posted:

Theme of King JJ is just begging for a full power ballad version with improved lyric translation and a full chorus to chant the "JJ" parts.

While I'd love that too, I feel like if that happened he'd just basically turn into Theme of King JoJo. Not that that would be a bad thing.

(Jokes aside, yeah his theme working both pre and post episode 11 is a testament to how well made it is.)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

2016, the year I loved a big gay show and its song titled "You Only Live Once". I have no regrets.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Loving this show so far, but the reason I haven't finished catching up to the current episode is because I've been splurging on watching competitive figure skating, not just recent events but decades worth of it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
JJ is just Papryus wearing skin.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
My heart is a schrodinger's box regarding the final tomorrow: it both is and is not broken and I am not ready to peak.

Edit:

SelfOM posted:

Loving this show so far, but the reason I haven't finished catching up to the current episode is because I've been splurging on watching competitive figure skating, not just recent events but decades worth of it.

Same, I've been watching and rewatching so many routines, it's so nice to be back into figure skating. The only problem is that some routines (not even just the old ones) were filmed on potatoes so the quality isn't the greatest.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 20, 2016

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Russian nationals start tomorrow and the Japanese nationals start on the 22nd and Yuri tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYDGeQ0SF8

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Hopeford posted:

Awesome, thank you! Pretty interesting to learn all about this. And here I thought my sport(fencing) was particularly weird about qualifying rounds at tournaments haha. Seems like a bunch of sports have similar ways to qualify for events, which is neat. But yeah thanks, that's exactly what I was curious about and all of the details about the world standing rank were pretty interesting, so I appreciate it.

The other reasons to withdraw would be a family emergency, such as Mao Asada leaving in the Finals in the 2011-12 season, or severe foodborne illness. Food poisoning/stomach flu is unusually common in figure skating.

Adel posted:

My heart is a schrodinger's box regarding the final tomorrow: it both is and is not broken and I am not ready to peak.

Edit:

Same, I've been watching and rewatching so many routines, it's so nice to be back into figure skating. The only problem is that some routines (not even just the old ones) were filmed on potatoes so the quality isn't the greatest.

Most of the highest quality archive footage is from Japanese broadcasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEshFzFQDoI

Japan made the switch to HD broadcasting via satellite in the late 90s so Japanese footage from that era is in relatively high quality compared to NBC/ABC/ESPN coverage of events.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sunning posted:

The other reasons to withdraw would be a family emergency, such as Mao Asada leaving in the Finals in the 2011-12 season, or severe foodborne illness. Food poisoning/stomach flu is unusually common in figure skating.

Pretty sure that's common in every job that requires you to travel around the world. Local foods and diseases won't always agree with you.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Hopeford posted:

What I love about this show is that you really feel that the characters love the sport and put everything they have in their performance. A lot of sports anime try to do that too, but it's always more of a telling thing than a showing thing. You hear characters scream that they love basketball, but you don't really see how basketball affects their lives and personality. You just hear them talking about how much they love the sport instead of letting us...well, see it. Here you see just how much each character loving loves the sport, puts everything they have in it, and the frustration that comes with not knowing if you're talented enough not to be left behind by it. It really stands out because I seriously don't remember other sports anime beside maybe like, Slam Dunk, that really sell how much the sport matters to the characters.

While I'd love that too, I feel like if that happened he'd just basically turn into Theme of King JoJo. Not that that would be a bad thing.

(Jokes aside, yeah his theme working both pre and post episode 11 is a testament to how well made it is.)

ADTRW favorite Chihayafuru is considered one of the best sports animes for a good reason. It's a bit longer than YOI and has some issues with a slow start, but it's still superb for a lot of the reasons you mentioned.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
Yuri On Ice is bleeding into reality once again...

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/811237818941001728

Dennis Ten (the inspiration behind Otabek)...

https://twitter.com/tenis_den/status/809731503869595648

https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/810012405770178562

https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/809658079168135168

https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/810020000421609473

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Motorcycle pic or bust.

edit: :aaa:

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 21, 2016

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Tender Child Loins posted:

Motorcycle pic or bust.
https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/809711621165776896

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
That's incredible.

I really appreciate how much work goes into this show wrt skating itself. It's really cool!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just popping in to say I read the entire thread in one sitting, having been watching the season and enjoying everyone's reactions to the show.

I'd be shocked if Yurio hosed up at this point. His lead is substantial, and his FS was drat impressive last time we saw it. Could he overreach and injure himself during the FS? Have there been many instances of skaters being too injured to finish and not scoring?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

ETB posted:

His lead is substantial, and his FS was drat impressive last time we saw it. Could he overreach and injure himself during the FS?

My guess is that he's going to injure himself in some way or flub it to some degree. Yurio's free program is already hellishly draining and he just set a world record the day before with his short program. It's a good setup for overconfidence to be his partial downfall. Also for JJ to break a world record and make an upset gold medal comeback. :canada:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Miss Nomer posted:

Yuri On Ice is bleeding into reality once again...

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/811237818941001728

help i dont get this one

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I think it's reminiscent of The Kiss from ep7?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is ice boys day, everyone!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

devtesla posted:

Today is ice boys day, everyone!

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Why, work?! Why did you have to schedule a meeting during the finale? Haven't you taken enough from me?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Do like Yuri and Victor and sever

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Dear sir,

I regret to inform you of my resignation, effective immediately. To my regret, it has come to my attention that there are irreconcilable differences between your company's direction and my goals in life. I wish to have a life devoted to gay ice skating, whereas the company's interest lies in captive health plan budgets.

Gibbering fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 21, 2016

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I'm really excited/nervous about tonight's episode... :ohdear:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

LOVE. WINS.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/12/20/miracle-on-ice-how-mitsuro-kubo-created-her-charactersanimage-january-2017/

Pretty good interview with the creator.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

help i dont get this one

Isn't that plushenko from behind?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Hedwig and the Angry Itch sounds like a really bad STD :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

And could you tell us about Victor’s appearance?

Kubo: His appearance is based on the American actor and director, John Cameron Mitchell.

Oh christ.

quote:

Please stay tuned until after the ED sequence, until the very end.

Aaaaaaaaaah

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

quote:

Since Maccachin is pretty old, Victor has the premonition that his last season as a competitive skater might overlap with the last year of Maccachin’s life. It’s quite possible that he prioritized spending those last few months to a year with Maccachin over his own skating career. I’d say that that’s one of the reasons that he came to Hasetsu, and when I spoke with his voice actor, Jun’ichi Suwabe-san, about it, he told me that he felt the same way.

I like Victor's priorities.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

quote:

Since Maccachin is pretty old, Victor has the premonition that his last season as a competitive skater might overlap with the last year of Maccachin’s life. It’s quite possible that he prioritized spending those last few months to a year with Maccachin over his own skating career. I’d say that that’s one of the reasons that he came to Hasetsu, and when I spoke with his voice actor, Jun’ichi Suwabe-san, about it, he told me that he felt the same way.
This is pretty accurate. My parents have 2 standard poodles, and one of them is about to turn 13. Every time I visit, I remember that it could be the last time I see him.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gibbering posted:

I like Victor's priorities.

1) hang out with cute boy
2) spend time with my old dog
3) idk my career I guess????

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is Victor likely to be extremely wealthy?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Probably depends on his endorsement deals.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Is Victor likely to be extremely wealthy?

Considering his designer flat and chanel lip balm I'd say he has a lot of money to spare

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have idly wondered if the skaters get paid for this. Prize money, I guess? Endorsements?

Yuri slapped down 800 euros for two rings without blinking, after all.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

I have idly wondered if the skaters get paid for this. Prize money, I guess? Endorsements?

Well, he said he would pay in installments, so I wouldn't say it was without blinking.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The_Doctor posted:

Yuri slapped down 800 euros for two rings lucky charms without blinking, after all.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Google tells me that getting first place gets you:
Grand Prix: 18,000$
4 Continents: 15,000$
World Championship: 45,000$

• Locked thread