Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I passed on a set of wheels for my old car for the same reason. It's a matter of time (2 days for that guy, :lol:) before something gets wedged in there and starts machining the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Yup.

I do straight winter tires now. I'm still trying to decide how comfortable I am with the clearance with the 17's from my TDI. I posted a link to an imgur album on the last page or two. I think I'm ok with it? Thinner weights or different weight placement would make me a lot more comfortable. I just need something by the first week of January for my first Colorado trip.

I run winter tires too now, but on a Cayman. It's mid-engine, RWD versus front-engine, FWD, but the GTI on all-season DWSs was really pretty awesome in the snow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

I passed on a set of wheels for my old car for the same reason. It's a matter of time (2 days for that guy, :lol:) before something gets wedged in there and starts machining the barrel.

Oddly enough, that happened on the rears with more clearance. I'm probably going to give the 17's a shot. The Golf R people seem to run them without any issues. I'll just have to talk to the dude at Costco before they're mounted about wheel weights.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

I was considering trading my FiST, or selling it out right, but being a 2014 with 65k miles and dings, it doesn't look too good.

A dealership not far has a super sharp new '16 FiST with recaros they just knocked $2k off the price of, making it cheaper than what I paid for this one. I don't want to be upside down on a trade-in though, and my kids are also 8 and 9, so I need to consider room for them on road trips.

I'm heavily leaning on just riding it out at this point. I hate having a car payment.. ideally I would like to finish paying this one off and saving up for something more mature and boring :(

Anything break in that 65k miles?

I'm approaching 20k in my '16 FiST and also trying to work out what I'm going to be doing and when.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

powderific posted:

Gotcha.

Any FiST FoST owners in here running with a pedal spacer thing? I put one in mine and wound up taking it out and using a pedal cover that sits closer to the brake instead. Everything feels perfect now, whereas the spacer actually didn't really help any with heel toeing and mostly made it feel a different kind of wrong.

I need to do something like this in my RS. It's loving impossible to heel/ toe unless I am slamming the gently caress out of the brakes and even then the pedals are still not even enough to get a good blip.

Also it snowed Saturday morning here in NJ and good lord the RS is composed in the snow. Lots of fun in an empty parking lot near me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I'm mainly worried about what Colorado calls "sand" and throws on their highways and other small rocks. Pretty much all of the ski resort parking lots are some variation of gravel as well. Get some rocky, sandy snow in there and it could maybe gently caress something up? Some other people seem to be running 17's without issue so I'm sure I'll be fine.

My winters are 17" and I have no issues.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

I need to do something like this in my RS. It's loving impossible to heel/ toe unless I am slamming the gently caress out of the brakes and even then the pedals are still not even enough to get a good blip.

Also it snowed Saturday morning here in NJ and good lord the RS is composed in the snow. Lots of fun in an empty parking lot near me.

Pedal cover on just the gas worked perfect for me. You do have to drill some holes but it's totally worth it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Breedt THIN pedal spacer. Had it on my Focus and I was able to set it so the pedals were the same distance apart as my E46.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

My winters are 17" and I have no issues.

The winter wheel thread on the Golf R forum on the tex basically convinced me I should be fine. 225/45/17 Blizzak WS80's ordered this morning and I'll get them mounted as soon as they come in.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The stock position might be good for track driving (I have no idea) but for daily blippin' it's way too recessed. Is the stock position supposed to be more ergonomic for non-heel-toe driving or something?

I found lifting off of the gas to hit the brake slower and less comfortable with the pedal all the way back in the footwell like that.

So yeah fix that and if you have a '13 or an earlier production '14 FoST replace that drat lovely rear motor mount one way or another (install an aftermarket one yourself or contact a dealer and have them pull the TSB; one the dealer will install is the RMM from the electric Focus which you can get your hands on for like 60 if you just want to do it yourself).

Then I feel like the car is set up as it should have been in the first place- I also threw in a short shift plate almost immediately but that's a personal preference thing. Don't know exactly what my plans are in the future (I'm a little hesitant to start loving around with ECU cals on my daily driver that I expect to last for years) but those first two things I would recommend to almost anyone driving the FoST.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is the stock position supposed to be more ergonomic for non-heel-toe driving or something?

It is set up like that because of the ham-footed morons that can't tell the difference between gas and brake.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I like the throw on the RS, but this is also the first manual I've daily driven so I'm not even exactly sure what a short shift feels like. As for the pedals even at the track on the brakes heavily I never felt like I could reach the throttle to blip. I also didn't want to really try to learn heel toeing at the track.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

I like the throw on the RS, but this is also the first manual I've daily driven so I'm not even exactly sure what a short shift feels like. As for the pedals even at the track on the brakes heavily I never felt like I could reach the throttle to blip. I also didn't want to really try to learn heel toeing at the track.

The shifter on my s2k has pretty much ruined me for life. It's insane to me that there are short shift kits for it too. The gearbox on the GTI is alright but it will definitely get a short throw shifter at some point to lessen what feels like the throw on an old truck or something in comparison. It will be kind of fun once I'm driving it again to get a comparison between the two. The TDI felt loving miserable to drive after being in it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

oxbrain posted:

This is the boost profile I want.

Blue is stock turbo, red is x-47 hybrid.

Yes. That.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just got an Accessport with a basic stage 1 tune for my 15 FoST. I didn't really expect to notice anything but I definitely noticed the bump in torque.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

fyodor posted:

Just got an Accessport with a basic stage 1 tune for my 15 FoST. I didn't really expect to notice anything but I definitely noticed the bump in torque.

You should look into getting a Stratified tune. I went from the Mountune stage 1 OTS to the Stratified stage 1 OTS and it was pretty nice bump.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mariana Horchata posted:

Anything break in that 65k miles?

I'm approaching 20k in my '16 FiST and also trying to work out what I'm going to be doing and when.

The only real 'complaint' I have is that the silverish trim around the cup holder started flaking on like my 3rd week owning it. But I'm sure the dealership would have fixed this when it was under warranty

It's been a great solid little car that I've had 0 mechanical problems with.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anti Plum posted:

You should look into getting a Stratified tune. I went from the Mountune stage 1 OTS to the Stratified stage 1 OTS and it was pretty nice bump.

Just ordered it. We shall see. Oh, and I added medium crackles because gently caress me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
JB4 for 1.8t/GTI/Golf R has been released :toot:

e: update to my lease situation. I don't think I got hosed! Got my VWCredit poo poo today and the payoff is about $1k higher than what I'd anticipated which looks like is mainly due to an $1100 residual/payoff tax. Not sure if that factors in losing the $1k loyalty discount or not. I'll get some sales tax knocked off of that as well as long as I do it within 6 months. So it's about $300 more total than the base financing number they showed me, and that wouldn't have included any fees, sales tax, or interest. I'm ok with it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 20, 2016

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

fyodor posted:

Just ordered it. We shall see. Oh, and I added medium crackles because gently caress me.

I tried with the crackles too but I don't think you can hear them on the stock exhaust. People say you can get them by just doing a catback though.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Anti Plum posted:

I tried with the crackles too but I don't think you can hear them on the stock exhaust. People say you can get them by just doing a catback though.

I have a Mishimoto catback on my FiST and I get occasional crackles in certain situations, but nothing like any YouTube videos of a tune with them built in demonstrate.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anti Plum posted:

I read on some forum the crackles will gently caress with the cat on the stock exhaust whaaaaat?????? Oh well, I haven't even received the tuning form yet so nothing has happened beyond them having my money.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Nevermind.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Aren't the crackles and pops just them dumping fuel into the cylinders after you let off the throttle? I really enjoy those noises on big engines, but for some reason they just sound cheap, like something is broken almost, on our small 4 cylinders.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't mind pops and gurgles all that much even on 4 cylinders. Some obviously do it better than others. One thing I'm really growing to hate on pretty much every vehicle I've heard it on is the really loose fart noise on dsg upshifts. It's so bad.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I love DSG farts. It's one of the reasons I want a GTI/R. I'm weird I know.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Anyone have any info about lowering a '16 GTI with DCC? BlackMK4 you seem to know a lot about the mods on these, any ideas? If not, any solid advice on places to check.

A couple months ago when I was looking people were swapping to a VW OEM spring meant for another application, but weren't sure about warranty/mechanical problems. Looking into a mild drop and some new wheels.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

100% Dundee posted:

Aren't the crackles and pops just them dumping fuel into the cylinders after you let off the throttle? I really enjoy those noises on big engines, but for some reason they just sound cheap, like something is broken almost, on our small 4 cylinders.

There is more to it than that, what you hear on a lot of modern cars is timing retard on overrun. What you hear on older / race cars is fueling still on during overrun.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Anyone have any info about lowering a '16 GTI with DCC? BlackMK4 you seem to know a lot about the mods on these, any ideas? If not, any solid advice on places to check.

A couple months ago when I was looking people were swapping to a VW OEM spring meant for another application, but weren't sure about warranty/mechanical problems. Looking into a mild drop and some new wheels.

Sorry man, I don't know anything about the DCC stuff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

I love DSG farts. It's one of the reasons I want a GTI/R. I'm weird I know.

There have been several times I'm watching a video of some awesome car and I'm loving the sound of the exhaust and then there's that loving fart and I almost throw up in my mouth a little.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

100% Dundee posted:

Usually rally fans enjoy them on 4 cylinder engines because rally.

edit: Installed the Stratified tune. It is very good. Don't hear no crackles or pops, though.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 21, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The VWR springs are around a 1" drop and work with the DCC. They are also theoretically within warranty specs if for any reason one of the shocks shits. All the DCC does is allow you to change the valving in the shocks for a stiffer ride, so as long as you don't try to dump it the dcc will still work fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is the part where I try not to be spergy because DCC doesn't change the valving, it adjusts a needle in a single valve stack that affects compression and rebound. It's kind of a weird system to me, but I come from the motorcycle end of things where you have separate valves, shim stacks, and needles for compression and rebound.
http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 21, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

This is the part where I try not to be spergy because DCC doesn't change the valving, it adjusts a needle in a single valve stack that affects compression and rebound. It's kind of a weird system to me, but I come from the motorcycle end of things where you have separate valves, shim stacks, and needles for compression and rebound.
http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

Neat :) So far I've had no reason to touch my suspension on the R because it's basically as perfect as I've ever owned from factory. Normal mode is great, comfort is a bit too soft, feels like it lets the car get close to bottoming out, while sport would be great for killing your kidneys at a race track. I keep my settings at normal suspension, sport steering, sport engine.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stratified is very dignified until you stomp on it and it engages the ecoboost's tiny turbo on full tilt and whoooosh.

BennyTheJet
Oct 11, 2007
Newbie 10 years ago checking in, hi!

Couldn't see one of these in the last 10 pages or so.

Plans for next year include some fixed back seats and a quaife if finances allow.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
That's because the US doesn't get cool cars ROW does.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That car is v cool Benny.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The yellow calipers seem kind of out of place though.

BennyTheJet
Oct 11, 2007
Seasonal greetings!

Yep it's a shame the US never got the E87. They are everywhere here, at least the lower-powered models. You guys do get some cool domestic stuff though.

Agree the calipers are a bit lairy but in defence they're the OEM BMW Performance items (6 pot Brembos).
Also got the BMWP back box and intake on there, Bilstein shocks/Eibach springs, M3 lower control arms for more neg camber at the front and subframe inserts at the back.
Just needs that LSD and some thicker arbs to be really sorted now.

Raw performance is not all that, it gets spanked by Golf Rs all day. But the engine, throttle response and noise is epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Is my parking brake supposed to leave that on the rotor? That was after I'd started driving and stopped again to wear some of it off. It sticks to the rotor something fierce if there has been any kind of moisture in the environment.

I asked my friend at work today if his feels like it seizes when it has been raining and he said no. He called me after leaving work and said that what I described to him happened for the first time today. Start to pull away after releasing the parking brake and it starts to squat like it's still on and then you get a clunk and start moving. So it's not just me!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 25, 2016