Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Eventually somebody will put in enough time and something along those lines will happen.

Maybe when the Frontier is out for the NV the guys behind that might do something for Fallout 4. Who knows?
Well, there's Fallout: Lonestar which is in progress.

E: They put out this early preview video in September, it looks pretty promising and the music's excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPwO8AzMGVI

Woebin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I liked Horizon in concept but as is my usual beef with mods like it, enemies have infinite ammo right up until they become lootable corpses and then they have 2 bullets. Normally not a huge deal but when it's much harder to heal yourself and they don't have to be forced into melee with you by running out bullets themselves it breaks the whole feel immediately. I want to run away because I'm overwhelmed or hurt, not because I have 8 bullets to their infinity.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
How does the horizon rebalancing play with new weapons? I tend to play the new fallout games by slapping as many weapons in them as possible.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Woebin posted:

Well, there's Fallout: Lonestar which is in progress.

E: They put out this early preview video in September, it looks pretty promising and the music's excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPwO8AzMGVI

Let's hope that reason prevails and they decrease that smoke effect they're over-using. At least that's what I am assuming is causing the really low FPS in parts of that demo video.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

Let's hope that reason prevails and they decrease that smoke effect they're over-using. At least that's what I am assuming is causing the really low FPS in parts of that demo video.
Well, it's really early in development as far as I know, presumably optimization comes later.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod yet that allows settlements connected via supply line to share workshop items (i.e. water purifiers, generators, etc.), or is scrapping it the only recourse (in which case, is there a mod that will allow you to collect the full materials of player-built objects?)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CascadeBeta posted:

How does the horizon rebalancing play with new weapons? I tend to play the new fallout games by slapping as many weapons in them as possible.

He says the changes he made are to balance weapons so they're on par with the the vanilla combat shotgun which he considers a baseline good weapon so ymmv depending on how the new weapons are statted.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Woebin posted:

Well, it's really early in development as far as I know, presumably optimization comes later.

Presumably yes. But as we all know with the hundreds of "Super high def textures and models! Over 10 GB texture size per texture! And every model has 10 trillion vertices! Plus boob jiggle! Best looking shotgun ever!" mods, you can never be sure until it comes out.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Terrorforge posted:

I kind of like that. Makes the whole "survival" thing less trivial when you can't live on the spoils of a single mole rat ambush for three weeks. The one issue I have had is that I don't like managing settlements and it's drat hard to get the necessary greens from vendors and scavenging. Apparently none of the farming vendors in the vanilla game actually sell crops?

At any rate my particular problem is apparently getting rectified in the next patch with the addition of less nutritious recipes that only require meat, plus more vegetables available to vendors. No idea if it'll still require a "critical mass" of 4-6 pieces still tho.

I've had some issues with the water purifiers as well. Namely, they only seem to work when I am physically in the settlement, which is a bit of a pisser considering I'm based out of Hangman's Alley and went to a hell of a lot of effort to set one up in Taffington Boathouse. You wouldn't happen to have it set up in a Settlement with no Settlers, would you?

Oh, and have you tried just waiting 24h in the settlement like, right next to the purifier?

I thought he fixed that vendors selling crops issue. I know with versionm .993, the Abernathy farmers had a bunch of vegetables for me to buy. It's also the only place I could get vegetables to cook with the meat I had harvested, before I could grow my own. I'm also cheating a bit because I have the More Spawns mod, and when there would normally e 2-3 Radstag, there's like 6-8 of them instead.

And no, I haven't tried waiting back at the settlement for purified water. I'll try that, but if that's how it works, I would think that is a bug.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

AgentHaiTo posted:

I thought he fixed that vendors selling crops issue. I know with versionm .993, the Abernathy farmers had a bunch of vegetables for me to buy. It's also the only place I could get vegetables to cook with the meat I had harvested, before I could grow my own. I'm also cheating a bit because I have the More Spawns mod, and when there would normally e 2-3 Radstag, there's like 6-8 of them instead.

It was added specifically to Abernathy. Next patch should add it to e.g. Greygarden, Finch Farm etc.

AgentHaiTo posted:

And no, I haven't tried waiting back at the settlement for purified water. I'll try that, but if that's how it works, I would think that is a bug.

It is. I reported it and the author was like "whoops, looks like there's a huge error in the script right here."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Best rifle.

*ping*

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20687/

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

you better not be able to reload this thing until you've fired every shot

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
That is a fantastic model. if i liked the Garand I'd install that right now. it's probably one of the best looking mod guns I've seen.

I'm in the developer discord, for Nexus and consistently i see people make models where they just make a low poly and texture it, and I'm just baffled by that. That style of modelling looks like poo poo in this engine.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm in the developer discord, for Nexus and consistently i see people make models where they just make a low poly and texture it, and I'm just baffled by that. That style of modelling looks like poo poo in this engine.

Do you mean a lack of normal maps or just models that are too low poly in general? lovely work done on shaders? All the above?

Honest question since I've been wanting to make some models myself but all the 3D modelling I've done to date has been ultra-lowpoly (think Nintendo DS) so I'm having a bit of a hard time making models to suit a modern engine. I finished a Pulse Gun model before I realized that it was probably as low level as the one used in New Vegas :saddowns:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Horizon 0.994 just dropped. Complete patch notes are in the third post from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...3D4757870&pUp=1

TL;DR:
  • Bartering modifier readjustment means lower vendor prices
  • More purified water output per settlement water production
  • New low-level remedies with common ingredients for infections and rads
  • Proper fire damage implemented
  • Grenades cost less Adhesive to craft
  • Ballistic weave nerfed
  • New scaling system implemented, but only for Raiders so far - affects DR and damage output
  • Doctors sell medical junk items
  • Greygarden vendor sells crops (No other farm vendors updated)
  • Some of Horizon's custom healing items added to containers and placed in the world (replacing stimpaks)
  • Added meat-only recipes. Require fairly low amount of meat (e.g. 2 pieces of Radstag Meat for Grilled Radstag) but have low food value compared to the "real" version which include crops.

My water bug has not been fixed. Gdi.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd like a mod where you can build a settlement thing that makes materials passively.
The scrap station is poo poo garbage.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Your Computer posted:

Do you mean a lack of normal maps or just models that are too low poly in general? lovely work done on shaders? All the above?

Honest question since I've been wanting to make some models myself but all the 3D modelling I've done to date has been ultra-lowpoly (think Nintendo DS) so I'm having a bit of a hard time making models to suit a modern engine. I finished a Pulse Gun model before I realized that it was probably as low level as the one used in New Vegas :saddowns:

any of those, sometimes all three. FO4's engine is PBR, so not only would you want normalmaps, you have a full (actually sorta easier) material setup to work with. unlike FNV, it's Normal, Albedo, Metalness, and Roughness. FNV uses Spec/Gloss materials.

For reference, this is something someone's saying is 80% done. they're probably throw a diffuse texture on it, set up smoothing groups/ normal angles a bit, then just plop it in.
There's also a consistent problem of people using the old Nvidia normal converter with a grayscale diffuse texture, which is often horrendously ugly (this is what they did for all the base standard guns in FNV)
And then, sometimes you get the issue of people just not understanding how to bake normals to a model at all. setting the space of a mesh as close to high poly's exact surface as possible.
often times you get these okay-looking-but-rather-off things like this:

I'm a huge stickler though, and i often won't install mods if they don't look good enough.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so did an alternative to resurrection ever, ah, arise? Or am I stuck with that random 1.3.6 google drive link off of reddit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

any of those, sometimes all three. FO4's engine is PBR, so not only would you want normalmaps, you have a full (actually sorta easier) material setup to work with. unlike FNV, it's Normal, Albedo, Metalness, and Roughness. FNV uses Spec/Gloss materials.

For reference, this is something someone's saying is 80% done. they're probably throw a diffuse texture on it, set up smoothing groups/ normal angles a bit, then just plop it in.
There's also a consistent problem of people using the old Nvidia normal converter with a grayscale diffuse texture, which is often horrendously ugly (this is what they did for all the base standard guns in FNV)
And then, sometimes you get the issue of people just not understanding how to bake normals to a model at all. setting the space of a mesh as close to high poly's exact surface as possible.
often times you get these okay-looking-but-rather-off things like this:

I'm a huge stickler though, and i often won't install mods if they don't look good enough.

That's actually really helpful, thanks! I dabbled a bit in the new materials (heck, I even needed new Photoshop plugins just to read the new .dds textures) since I wanted to understand what I was dealing with. You've given me something concrete to read up on, which is great! Honestly most of the stuff I've done so far (mostly characters) have been in the low-thousands poly range with diffuse only, but at least I have some years toying with 3ds max etc. as a starting point. I'm definitely not an expert at making nor baking normal maps, but at least I've tried it before and I've also messed with some different realtime shaders. I really can't wait until there's some better documentation and a slightly more user-friendly workflow for getting stuff working with FO4. :3:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I made a booboo: I meant to say you're SUPPOSED to set your low poly surface as closely aligned with your high poly as possible. alot of the times you'll see folks that don't know that, so you end up with jagged or weird edges with any angles beyond 45 degrees.

The ONLY reason I have such an issue with the lack of quality is just how much easier it is now to make higher end assets. For guns you can get the brunt of the high poly and maybe even the low poly done in a week max. (THANK YOU PIXAR FOR OPENSUBDIV oh my god it saves so much time.) Then there's tons of legit WONDERFUL tools that make the texturing and baking parts trivial too.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 20, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I made a booboo: I meant to say you're SUPPOSED to set your low poly surface as closely aligned with your high poly as possible. alot of the times you'll see folks that don't know that, so you end up with jagged or weird edges with any angles beyond 45 degrees.

Oh good, I was wondering about that bit. I'm glad to hear I wasn't taught wrong then! :v:

Got to be honest though, I'm not immediately seeing the problem in that picture. I chalk it up to me mostly working with organic meshes and not rigid ones (aka. mostly characters/monsters/flora instead of geometry/props/weapons) but I'd love to see it pointed out!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Your Computer posted:

Oh good, I was wondering about that bit. I'm glad to hear I wasn't taught wrong then! :v:

Got to be honest though, I'm not immediately seeing the problem in that picture. I chalk it up to me mostly working with organic meshes and not rigid ones (aka. mostly characters/monsters/flora instead of geometry/props/weapons) but I'd love to see it pointed out!

the basic problem with that there is this:

Coming back to the gun picture I posted, either they did something funky and forgot to set UV hulls right, they didn't do their smoothing groups right, their projection cage is messed up, or maybe all three. any of those can result in ugly sharp lines at the seams. They may have even set their UV hulls all at random angles and their edges not placed as close to perfectly straight horizontal/vertical as possible, which can also lead to jagged edges. There's also a chance they compounded the issue by making the edges of the high poly too sharp as well?
I can't say for sure without seeing their progress shots or something.

E: on the side of GOOD things I've found in the discord, someone's making this bad boy:

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 20, 2016

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

E: on the side of GOOD things I've found in the discord, someone's making this bad boy:

Sorry for the dumb question here, I'm actually pretty bad at modeling and such, but shouldn't most of the tiny details in this model, well, not be in the model at all? Aren't they the sort of thing you make appear 3D through bump maps and such instead?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Woebin posted:

Sorry for the dumb question here, I'm actually pretty bad at modeling and such, but shouldn't most of the tiny details in this model, well, not be in the model at all? Aren't they the sort of thing you make appear 3D through bump maps and such instead?

It depends how high the object is off the mesh really. Things like the screws and such would run flat, yes, but bits like that little hook on the butt of the gun would be high enough to warrant making a little doodad. It also would matter what parts you want animated or to give a proper effect, so the groove the sliding handle is in would be beneficial to have as a proper hole for the slide to go in. It's all about gauging what you want from your model and what details are high enough to warrant that extra bit.

While I'm here, I was wanting to ask if anyone would care to offer suggestions towards making a new version of my old FNV gun.

this thing

I don't wanna just take the original model and tweak it and rebake. I'd like to start over and rebuild it for the new features that are possible with FO4, like animating the gun itself and making custom reloading and such. (also I can make both a dirty, banged up version and a pristine 'perfect' version and have it be rebuilt from crafting table and finding the mods) So by all means, let me know what you guys would wanna see different!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 20, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Looks great, but the recoil looks a tad high?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Falken posted:

Looks great, but the recoil looks a tad high?

Haven't tried it yet, but he just updated it, might be better now.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Woebin posted:

In addition to what's already been said, it's common practice to generate a normal map from a high-detail version of a mesh.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

anatomi posted:

In addition to what's already been said, it's common practice to generate a normal map from a high-detail version of a mesh.
Oh duh, I completely forgot about that. Makes perfect sense.

Anyway, aside from my ill informed wonderings, that's a beautiful model.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

The Iron Rose posted:

so did an alternative to resurrection ever, ah, arise? Or am I stuck with that random 1.3.6 google drive link off of reddit.

Probably not much help but http://modgames.net/load/fallout_4/globalnye/resurrection/425-1-0-21385 is where I've been following it, thought my version was beyond 1.3.6 for some reason but I guess not.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
A friend and I have been approaching dozens of mod creators building up a portfolio of interesting mods that compliment Horizon. I'm surprised how many of these guys are open to sharing their work.

Don't want to do anything major before Horizon hits 1.0 but we're looking at adding lore-friendly weapons (not just boring rifles) and adding and expanding on existing survival mechanics. Also investigating how to create a durability system for clothing, weapons and weapon mods.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd be interested in this too, I love the green wasteland but I have a feeling the version of Res i'm using is the cause of most of my crashes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

A friend and I have been approaching dozens of mod creators building up a portfolio of interesting mods that compliment Horizon. I'm surprised how many of these guys are open to sharing their work.

Don't want to do anything major before Horizon hits 1.0 but we're looking at adding lore-friendly weapons (not just boring rifles) and adding and expanding on existing survival mechanics. Also investigating how to create a durability system for clothing, weapons and weapon mods.

I'd love to see a return to the durability system. The FO3/4 implementation wasn't perfect, but it did two things really well; it meant that to run super high end weapons and armor you had to either invest in repair, spend caps to get things repaired, or accept that your equipment is going to function less than ideally. It also added to the feeling of a post-apocalypse, everything around you was broken which was nicely mirrored by the fact that all your stuff would get broken if you didn't actively spend time preventing it from getting that way.

I wish the best of luck to you guys!

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I'm not entirely sure I want the durability system back in the vanilla game (it contributed heavily to the awesome end-game weapons being pushed from "impractical" to "borderline useless"), but I do have fond memories of playing DUST and being loving ecstatic at finding another of the same weapon I'm already as opposed to "oh great, 37 caps."

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Also investigating how to create a durability system for clothing, weapons and weapon mods.

I'm all in favor of a return to item condition that affects it's functionality, as long as the implementation is based more on New Vegas than FO3. In FO3, weapon damage degraded linearly with the condition... New Vegas the weapon would still do full damage at anything above 90%, iirc. NPCs repairing items for caps were also huge help, as were the generic weapon repair kits... the latter would benefit from FO4's improved crafting system to make your own.

Being able to cannibalize a weapon or armor piece in the field is great for emergency repair, but I always thought it should be sort of a last resort/panic option. Perhaps a new crafting bench could be implemented where functional items (any condition above broken) could be converted into a specialized parts kit, unique to the type (i.e. plasma weapon parts kit, combat armor parts kit, etc.) that would function like a suped up repair kit for that type of gear. This would give the player a reason to actually drag those borderline worthless, super low condition items back to base, as they could get more bang for their buck by converting them into a parts kit than they would from just using them on the spot to repair another item.

Bonus points if this new bench would automatically strip off any non-standard attachments when converting something to a parts kit, instead of letting them get scrapped into base components or just vanishing entirely.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was never a big fan of the way Fallout does durability. Lugging around "spares" so you can use them to keep your main weapon in good condition is super dumb, and I always felt like Jury Rigging was a required perk.

The idea of durability itself isn't bad, mind you. I just thought it felt incredibly silly to jam 40 trash rifles into my main rifle in order to fix its durability.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I do like HOF's ideas, and would largely agree; the one issue I have is that weapon repair kits trivialized the whole system. For just repair of 30/40 depending on whether you took the magazine reading perk and four of the most common items in the game (plus duct tape) you could repair everything, so once you reached that point repair became more of a chore than a need; I'd never not be able to repair my weapons. If you can always guarantee a repair, it's just a nuisance that you have to take care of every now and then, but when there is a real chance that sometimes you might have to go for a while with a less-than-perfect gun before you get what you need to fix it, then it becomes interesting.

Also, being able to repair valuable weapons up to 100% and sell them was completely economy-destroying, but that would be easy to remedy.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

whiteshark12 posted:

I'd be interested in this too, I love the green wasteland but I have a feeling the version of Res i'm using is the cause of most of my crashes.

I really liked Resurrection way back when it first came out and when I came back to FO4 recently, I found the combination of these three mods sort of gets there:

Regrowth (Trees everywhere, but I don't like the super high grass)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9656/

Which is fixed by loading this mod afterwards
Spring in the Commonwealth
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10940/
which is a fairly normal grass mod, but it looks good with some nice wildflowers mixed in, and lowers the height of the grass from that first mod

And for added flavor, this mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10436/
which just makes the ivy on the buildings much nicer looking.

The above doesn't do the mossy buildings like Resurrection, but this is close enough, and I haven't had any weird bugs or missing textures. I remember I used to get purple buildings with Resurrection.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

aniviron posted:

I do like HOF's ideas, and would largely agree; the one issue I have is that weapon repair kits trivialized the whole system. For just repair of 30/40 depending on whether you took the magazine reading perk and four of the most common items in the game (plus duct tape) you could repair everything, so once you reached that point repair became more of a chore than a need; I'd never not be able to repair my weapons. If you can always guarantee a repair, it's just a nuisance that you have to take care of every now and then, but when there is a real chance that sometimes you might have to go for a while with a less-than-perfect gun before you get what you need to fix it, then it becomes interesting.

That's a valid point. Perhaps "generic" repair kits could be balanced by having a very low repair value (perhaps max it to something like 10%) while requiring a relatively hefty investment of not-so-common materials to make. They could also simply be heavy; if they weigh almost as much as another weapon themselves (and need to be in your inventory to use) you won't carry more than a handful even if you have the resources available to build a zillion of them. Unless you've maxed out Strong Back of course, but that perk is broken as all hell anyway.

Or they could just do away with "one-size-fits-all" repair kits completely. The *insert item type* parts kit idea in my previous post would still require the player to find specific weapons and armor to fix others, it would just reward them with more efficient repairs if they can get all the loot back to a crafting station first. If you want something craftable from junk with a wider range of use than a single weapon or armor type, there could be a kit for conventional firearms, another for energy weapons, etc.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

No, the only reason that Fallout 3 or New Vegas needed weapon degradation was to prevent the player from sequence breaking the game by getting a hold of a late game weapon early on. For example, the minigun dropped from the quest in Novac is at almost zero condition to prevent you from getting a minigun that early in the game.

In Fallout 4 the heavy weapons are worthless and you upgrade weapon damage via crafting, so there's absolutely no reason to implement degradation and no way to make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bilal posted:

No, the only reason that Fallout 3 or New Vegas needed weapon degradation was to prevent the player from sequence breaking the game by getting a hold of a late game weapon early on. For example, the minigun dropped from the quest in Novac is at almost zero condition to prevent you from getting a minigun that early in the game.

I'm not sure that's true, especially since 1) the minigun really sucks in FNV and 2) there's a garage in Novac that has everything you need to make 10 repair kits less than 100m away from where that encounter happens.

I'd guess it has more to do with preserving the game economy, selling a full condition minigun is a lot of capsmoney. Probably also has to do with the fact that a low level player against a nightkin with a full condition minigun would get killed pretty quickly.