Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

No, BoK. There is no E in Santa Claus.

Good Ol' Chip Bok posted:

The world’s most famous newspaper editorial, published in the New York Sun Sept. 21, 1887, could get busted by Facebook.

In an effort to stamp out the scourge of fake news, Facebook is outsourcing fact checking to PolitiFact and others .

Facebook Fact Checks Santa Clause

The editorial in question (by me) was in response to a letter to the editor from eight year old Virginia O’Hanlon:

quote:

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, ‘If you see it in THE SUN it’s so.’
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA O’HANLON.
115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET.

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy…

You can read the rest of the editorial here at the Newseum site.

“If you see it in THE SUN it’s so.” – Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

No, BoK. There is no E in Santa Claus.
wrong

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

OldMemes posted:

Stephen Notley's presentation with Bob the Angry Flower is always so....spot on. Bob's expressions and mannerisms give him so much character, without feeling like he's strawmanning other people.

That said, I only see the poltical ones here, I don't know what the other strips are like.

There's an online archive of strips dating back to 1992, if you have time to spare.

EDIT: Somehow I missed another new strip:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

loquacius posted:

Unpopular opinion: Matt Lubchansky owns

This is making me miss Wobbly-Headed Bob. Dammit, Jhonen, come out of retirement at least for your weird single-page characters.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

every time someone posts bob I get flashbacks to coming across it on 1995 internet when I was like 12, it's cool that guy is still going

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

OldMemes posted:

Stephen Notley's presentation with Bob the Angry Flower is always so....spot on. Bob's expressions and mannerisms give him so much character, without feeling like he's strawmanning other people.

That said, I only see the poltical ones here, I don't know what the other strips are like.

I remember in University he did a strip for the student newspaper while he was at school called The Germ I believe. It was a directionless self-aware vigilante superhero kind of thing but still head and shoulders above normal student newspaper stuff. Bizarrely the same university also had the other best student newspaper cartoon at the time, Space Moose.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Potato Salad posted:

In 2016, Jill Stein received 1.4 million fewer votes than Ralph Nader did in 2000. Remember when the Democrats died for good in 2004, too?

Literally everything you're posting has been discussed before fifteen loving years ago.

Well here's another blast from the past: calling the Greens "spoilers". This is from the Dec 12 New Yorker:

quote:

Stein’s demands for a recount reflect the same narcissism as her candidacy, whose primary function was to help Trump win. ...The recounts will only give Trump an opportunity to claim victory again.

And here's similar blame-throwing from Salon:

quote:

For those who worried that insufficient liberal support for Hillary Clinton would wind up electing Donald Trump, you were right.

According to a tweet from Cook Political Report’s Dave Wasserman on Thursday, the margin of difference separating the president-elect from his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton in the three “Blue Wall” states — Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan — was less than the total number of votes received by Green Party nominee Jill Stein in each of those states

(WOW! and to think THIS was Salon's line on the morning of November eighth:)

quote:

As of 4:30 p.m. EST, Cuebiq projected a decisive victory for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton over Republican rival Donald Trump, with an estimated total of 341 electoral votes....Sorry, Donald Trump. It looks like the black and brown citizens of America are fired up and ready to deport your campaign into the dustbin of history, perhaps by historic margins.

But no, the Democrats aren't dead. They'll be around letting guys like W and Trump bring us to ruin for decades to come, all the while complaining about how they lost because of fifteen Green votes that would have turned the tide.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think bok is the only one dumb enough to try the defense "actually, fake news is better than real news"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Death Ray posted:

Well here's another blast from the past: calling the Greens "spoilers". This is from the Dec 12 New Yorker:

And here's similar blame-throwing from Salon:

(WOW! and to think THIS was Salon's line on the morning of November eighth:)

But no, the Democrats aren't dead. They'll be around letting guys like W and Trump bring us to ruin for decades to come, all the while complaining about how they lost because of fifteen Green votes that would have turned the tide.

What is even your point here?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Death Ray posted:

How about instead of going on and on about those mean old democrats, you join the loving DSA and try to fix it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

LordSaturn posted:

How about instead of going on and on about those mean old democrats, you join the loving DSA and try to fix it?

he didn't say they were mean. just incompetent and devoid of any sort of strategic strengths

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The current increase in homicide rate is very concerning in Vegas, but looking at Nevada crime statistics, it's been a lot worse for a long time, with a dip in 2000 and 2009-2015.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Complety late and random request but does anyone have any old political cartoons from the 80s and 90s addressing aids? I'd like to see the tone or the feel of that era

I'm waiting for a few more books to come in, but the late '80s and early '90s seem to be what you're looking for.

In the 1987 collection, AIDS is mentioned in the "...and Other Issues" section:

quote:

The disease AIDS continued as a growing health threat during the year. Surgeon General Everett Koop issued a report urging that all citizens be taught how to protect themselves from AIDS, including school children. The cost of medical care rose 6.7 percent in 1985 while inflation incrased only 4.1 percent.
...but they didn't actually include any AIDS cartoons. :confused:

So here's a random cartoon that caught my eye while leafing through the book:

By 1988, AIDS gets its own section, but the hot takes are not very strong yet.

This seems like a good opportunity for those WWII "don't get the clap or you help the Japs" propaganda posters.

Also, the Surgeon General was running a TV ad campaign encouraging people to practice safe sex and use condoms, which led to...

TODAY'S SOAPS

A commercial happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6WADh8vk3A

Finally, here's the most unfortunately incorrect AIDS cartoon of the year. :smith:

amfAR lists 410,800 deaths by 1998.

I'll pick up later with '89 and onward.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are so many good jokes to make about the Bob Dylan thing that using this bad one may actually cause Thallia, the Muse of Comedy, to kill Tinsley out of spite.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Reminds me of an episode of Judge Judy where a man was disputing a paternity test;

Dude: "I can't be her baby's father. I always used a condominium."

Judy: "Then there must've been a hole in the roof."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

I agree this is inexplicable, but they don't vote for them reliably in large enough numbers to win literally every election all the time (although they do control an alarming number of state legislatures because the Dems' 50-state strategy is in loving tatters) and this was actually one of the more winnable presidential elections in my lifetime so I'm not sure of the relevance

Are you ever going to do anything at all to back this up? Because every single thing that you could point to that would make this a winnable election is either something voters actually wanted or didn't care about. What exactly does support that this was a winnable presidential election other than you wanting it to be because it serves a narrative that you keep pushing?

Xenoveritas posted:

Doesn't make it untrue. Bernie Sanders should have been a wake-up call to the Democratic Party that they were losing the left.

Instead they just called his supporters "Bernie-Bros" and did their best to alienate them and then blame them for their loss.

Their best to alienate them being surrendering literally the entire platform to them, and letting them pick electors for Washington, who all helpfully dragged this Bernie or Bust thing right to the end by going Faithless when not a single Republican did.

Oh, but some people on the internet called them names! And made fun of them! And called them out on their harassing people! How could they ever even tolerate such a thing! Its literally the worst tragedy that has ever befallen any person in human history!

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The Democrats obviously didn't care about losing the left when they decided not to support the Occupy Wall Street movement

Because this keeps coming up I need to remind you, the Dems did loving try to support OWS, and OWS told them to gently caress off, because they said they were "detrimental to the movement", and that they were protesting a "failure by both parties". Because it lasted so loving long and succeeded so well without them.

In fact, I recall at one point OWS booed John loving Lewis off stage. A civil rights legend, a man who led the march on Selma, yeah, what the gently caress would he have to add to a protest against established power.

OWS failed and died because it refused any and all outreach from the Dems. Because of not wanting to be tainted, which of course worked so goddamn well for them in the end.

By allowing in immigration, Santa is able to find new workers who are 33% better at the job than his old workers.

An Aussie Christmas carol cartoon

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 21, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Fulchrum posted:

Are you ever going to do anything at all to back this up? Because every single thing that you could point to that would make this a winnable election is either something voters actually wanted or didn't care about. What exactly does support that this was a winnable presidential election other than you wanting it to be because it serves a narrative that you keep pushing?
There's been plenty of stuff on this. Trump was not an unstoppable juggernaut. His own party hates him, and although they're mostly playing nice right now, Trump (or Trump supporters, I'm a bit unclear on what the line is) have stated that they want to "destroy Paul Ryan" which isn't the best sign of party unity. The Republican party is in real bad shape - which would matter if the Democratic party wasn't in even worse shape.

quote:

Their best to alienate them being surrendering literally the entire platform to them, and letting them pick electors for Washington, who all helpfully dragged this Bernie or Bust thing right to the end by going Faithless when not a single Republican did.
What part of the platform? The only part of the platform I'm aware of that Hillary picked up was "free college" and I only know that because Trump attacked her on it! Every single pro-Hillary bit of messaging I saw was centered on attacking Trump and not building her up or pushing her policies. Everything was focused on how evil Trump was. Granted I live in Massachusetts, but thanks to the proximity to New Hampshire and the fact that Boston TV stations cover most of southern New Hampshire, I "got" to see a fair number of campaign ads. If she adopted a majority of Bernie's plans, her messaging about that fact was terrible.

On the EC front, there were two faithless Republican electors in Texas: one voted for Ron Paul and the other for John Kasich. Three of the Washington electors were "Hamiltonian electors" trying to convince Republicans to join them in nominating Colin Powell. (Clearly, it didn't work.) The fourth voted for Faith Spotted Eagle as a protest about how the government treats Native Americans or something.

There were three additional Bernie electors who were either replaced or ended up voting for Hillary, and a fourth one in Hawaii that did vote for Bernie Sanders. :gethill:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

So here's a random cartoon that caught my eye while leafing through the book:

This one took me a second

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Like, if it wasn't Bok I'd assume this was just a joke with no attempted message, but it's Bok, so what the gently caress is the implication here? Should we stop cracking down on fake news because it'll take the childlike whimsy out of life?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xenoveritas posted:

There's been plenty of stuff on this. Trump was not an unstoppable juggernaut. His own party hates him, and although they're mostly playing nice right now, Trump (or Trump supporters, I'm a bit unclear on what the line is) have stated that they want to "destroy Paul Ryan" which isn't the best sign of party unity. The Republican party is in real bad shape - which would matter if the Democratic party wasn't in even worse shape.
The gently caress does that have to do with Trump being electable?

quote:

What part of the platform? The only part of the platform I'm aware of that Hillary picked up was "free college" and I only know that because Trump attacked her on it! Every single pro-Hillary bit of messaging I saw was centered on attacking Trump and not building her up or pushing her policies. Everything was focused on how evil Trump was. Granted I live in Massachusetts, but thanks to the proximity to New Hampshire and the fact that Boston TV stations cover most of southern New Hampshire, I "got" to see a fair number of campaign ads. If she adopted a majority of Bernie's plans, her messaging about that fact was terrible.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/democrats-advance-most-progressive-platform-party-history-n606646

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the idea that Trump was unbeatable has to be the most idiotic excuse for blowing an election I've heard. Cripes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How exactly are you confusing "not the most beatable opponent in history" with "literally unbeatable"?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
other than you demanding proof the election was winnable? i suppose my love for hyperbole, friend

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
From Charlie Hebdo a couple of weeks ago. It may refer to Trump mocking that reporter although I suspect it's just in poor taste. "Another victory for minorities. After a black man, America elects one with special needs." There. Yeah, that's what it says.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bitey fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 21, 2016

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh hey I've heard this trope used once before

Die Ärzte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eMZVSIi-L4

Der Graf, ist jetzt einsam und allein
Ja der Graf, wollte nie ein Anachronismus sein
Ja der Graf, sehnt sich so sehr nach dem Blut einer Jungfrau
Doch der Graf hat Angst, Angst vor HIV

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wow. What a piece of poo poo.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks like the most beatable candidate in history was Hillary so yeah dunno wtf Fulchrum is going on about

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Finally, here's the most unfortunately incorrect AIDS cartoon of the year. :smith:

amfAR lists 410,800 deaths by 1998.

I'll pick up later with '89 and onward.

Oh, hey, Tom Darcy. I used to see his stuff all the time when I was younger because Newsday was my hometown paper. He always had an interesting drawing style.

Anyway, Telnaes on the news that Eric and Donald Jr. are running a fundraiser where $1 million gets you a private audience with the Prez or a hunting and fishing trip with them:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bitey posted:

From Charlie Hebdo a couple of weeks ago. It may refer to Trump mocking that reporter although I suspect it's just in poor taste. "Another victory for minorities. After a black man, America elects one with special needs." There. Yeah, that's what it says.

holy poo poo lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fulchrum posted:

How exactly are you confusing "not the most beatable opponent in history" with "literally unbeatable"?

I don't mind if we disagree over whether Trump was actually the most beatable opponent in history (he might have been less beatable than Romney, but that's about it) because the utterly ridiculous thing you were claiming without proof was "no one on Earth would have won this election because :derp: Russia Wikileaks FBI fake news :derp:" so if we've moved on from that I'm happy :)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

No no no, don't you understand you filthy leftard rasogynist, his abuela couldn't do it so no one could.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Selachian posted:

Anyway, Telnaes on the news that Eric and Donald Jr. are running a fundraiser where $1 million gets you a private audience with the Prez or a hunting and fishing trip with them:

That's news to me this morning, but I also can't watch it 24/7 either if I don't want to curl up into the fetal position forever. The Irony behind this though is that this was what the right was saying was bad about the Clintons :shepicide:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Selachian posted:

If this leads to Trump or Pence shooting someone in the face and then getting the one shot to apologize for the scandal and inconvenience of the whole affair I'm done.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's news to me this morning, but I also can't watch it 24/7 either if I don't want to curl up into the fetal position forever. The Irony behind this though is that this was what the right was saying was bad about the Clintons :shepicide:

If there's one thing you should take away from this election, it's that you realize that people will root for the Browns just because they're from Cleveland, while making fun of the Lions for being a poo poo team that went 0-16 once.

Let it sink in.

It doesn't matter what your team does, it only matters what the punching bag is accused of this week

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's why "they go low, we go high" is the dumbest poo poo ever except for being smug.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thecluckmeme posted:

If there's one thing you should take away from this election, it's that you realize that people will root for the Browns just because they're from Cleveland, while making fun of the Lions for being a poo poo team that went 0-16 once.

Let it sink in.

It doesn't matter what your team does, it only matters what the punching bag is accused of this week

Oh, I know, I just can't comprehend how people can live like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

World Famous W posted:

If this leads to Trump or Pence shooting someone in the face and then getting the one shot to apologize for the scandal and inconvenience of the whole affair I'm done.

I think the hunting and fishing trip is with Donald Jr, not the President. If you want to pay $1m to be in Trump's presence you'll need to bring your own gun.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Complety late and random request but does anyone have any old political cartoons from the 80s and 90s addressing aids? I'd like to see the tone or the feel of that era

just in case is wasn't mentioned -- have this 1987 ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U219eUIZ7Qo

:australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

I think the hunting and fishing trip is with Donald Jr, not the President. If you want to pay $1m to be in Trump's presence you'll need to bring your own gun.

Yeah, the trip was with the kids, although they seem to have walked back that offer after just about everyone pointed out how horrible it looked.

Of course, the money raised was supposedly going to a conservation charity. Because there's never, ever been any hint of impropriety connected to the Trumps and charities, right?

• Locked thread